Masonman's - Hi-Brix - Jock Horror - 2016

I had one big girl raised under 18/6 in pre-flower who refused to go into flower for a full 30 days at 12/12.
3 days after I switched to 11/13 she started building flowers.
I have been at 11/13 ever since.

As they mature, you might consider seperating the two peppers. I once bit into a Bell Pepper in my back yard that looked normal, but tasted exactly like my serrano peppers in the side yard. It was a major surprise :)

That pepper is rated a touch hotter than jalapeno and a bit lower than serrano.

I had one big girl raised under 18/6 in pre-flower who refused to go into flower for a full 30 days at 12/12.
3 days after I switched to 11/13 she started building flowers.
I have been at 11/13 ever since.

As they mature, you might consider seperating the two peppers. I once bit into a Bell Pepper in my back yard that looked normal, but tasted exactly like my serrano peppers in the side yard. It was a major surprise :)

you may want to try going lower light 10.5 or even 10 with the vegetables :thumb:

Day 57 Veg

Not a lot to update. She's adjusting to her new pot nicely. I did notice a couple days ago she's throwing off pre-flowers. I also sprayed her full strength Brix 3 days after the transplant. I didn't notice any leaf burning, so I think I'll continue full strength every 7-10 days from now on. I lowered the screen to 7 inches above the soil. It was at 9. With the LST I've been doing, she is still 2.5 inches below the screen. My plan is... no more LST. Let her entire canopy hit the screen then flip to 11/13 light. If she doubles in the stretch, I'll be happy. If she triples, I'll do a little dance. I don't even want to think of qua.........

I'll be happy at doubling.

OK... to the pics!

4-21_1_.JPG
4-21_2_.JPG

you may want to try going lower light 10.5 or even 10 with the vegetables :thumb:

Unfortunately, they didn't like the way I transplanted them. They came in those biodegradable pots. I removed them so I could dust the root ball and the transplant hole with Roots. I watered them in with 4 cups water and 1ML Transplant. That wasn't even enough to have runoff in the saucer, but I would say they were pretty well saturated.

I'm guessing I should have used plain water. The tomato plant should live, as well as the bell pepper. But I think the banana pepper has had it. The tomato just looks like it's still in shock, and the bell had half her leaves turn white. There is no new growth yet to see is any will fully recover.

Oh well... Not the worst $8 I've ever spent.... lol

DIY CO2 Generator

Finally went and picked up the parts I needed for 2 DIY projects for my grow room. First up... DIY CO2

It's real simple, 5 gallon jug, a bubbler, 6 feet of 3/8" ID hose, 18% wine yeast, 11 LBS sugar, and around 4 gallons water.

I had to mod the bubbler to accept the hose. I first cut the top off.

4-23_2_.JPG

The hose clamp I bought wouldn't create a tight seal, so I wrapped electrical tape around the top of the bubbler first, the pressed on the hose.

4-23_3_.JPG

4-23_4_.JPG

Mixed the 11 LBS sugar into around a 1.5 gallon of hot tap water then added cold tap water until jug was full.

Sprinkle the yeast on top, drill a hole into the cabinet, and... DONE!!!

4-23_5_.JPG
4-23_6_.JPG
4-23_7_.JPG

I agree, that is awesome! Great work! I was wondering, think you could brew something like beer or wine and let the CO2 from that go into the room? If it weren't changed in some way by adding the additional ingredients that is. Also thank you for showing us all details, in pics and telling portions, that is very helpful.

I agree, that is awesome! Great work! I was wondering, think you could brew something like beer or wine and let the CO2 from that go into the room? If it weren't changed in some way by adding the additional ingredients that is. Also thank you for showing us all details, in pics and telling portions, that is very helpful.

Oh... definitely

You would end up with more beer/wine than you'd know what to do with though. 5 gallons of whatever your brewing every 3-4 weeks. If it were legal, you could distill it into 190 proof, then water it down to under 120 proof for vodka if that's your thing. Prohibition is a bitch!!!!

Drip Irrigation

Well, I discovered I was going to have a problem watering my 20" diameter pot with the screen 7 inches above the soil. So, drip irrigation it is.

Went to my local brewery supply store for 12 feet 3/8" ID hose, a 4-way connector, 3-way connector, hose clamp, 6-1/2 gallon bucket with pre-drilled hole to accept a gate valve.

I used a 3/32" drill bit and drilled through the hoses at a 6 inch spacing, hooked it all up and opened the valve wide open, and this is what happened.

4-23_Drip_1_.JPG

Flow was way to fast, so I slowly closed the valve until I got the flow as low as possible. That's when I realized the inner loop had much more pressure than the outer loop. So, I used a hose clamp to restrict the flow to the inner loop. I also had to wrap the hose with electrical tape about 10 times because the clamp was a little too big. Now I had all holes flowing equal, but it was still draining faster than I wanted, so I used a hot glue gun to plug off 50% of the holes. When I drilled the holes, I went completely through the hose creating 2 holes every 6 inches. After hot glue, I now have 1 hole every 6". Time for another flow test.

I got the flow down to 7.5 minutes per gallon with all holes draining equal.

DSCN0130_2_.JPG
4-23_Drip_2_.JPG
4-23_Drip_3_.JPG

A clean oil change funnel allows watering large pots :)

True, but I love complicated solutions to simple problems....:hmmmm:

I had a couple reasons for going this route. First, I was bored. The plant is on autopilot and I just had to fark with something.

Second, my "instant gratification monkey" demanded it. It was either build this, or mow the lawn.

Third, I got to spend an hour at the brewery supply looking at things I know nothing about, but dreaming about what I'd do with them. I love hardware...

Seriously though, It will take at least 4 gallons to completely soak my container. That means mixing drench/water in 5 gallon bucket, transferring to water jug twice, then trying to hold a funnel in one hand and 16 LBS of water in the other and not spilling it all over my carpet. This way, I mix my drench, place the drip line around the plant, flip the switch, and walk away. A little clean up and... done. That stupid ass rectangular fabric pot they sent me does not have seams sewn at the bottom to hold the shape. It is all folded at the bottom. As I filled it, it expanded and completely filled my 24" saucer. I have absolutely no room now to bottom feed. So, I knew I would have to water very slow down the top, and this seemed the easiest solution.

True, but I love complicated solutions to simple problems....:hmmmm:

I had a couple reasons for going this route. First, I was bored. The plant is on autopilot and I just had to fark with something.

Second, my "instant gratification monkey" demanded it. It was either build this, or mow the lawn.

Third, I got to spend an hour at the brewery supply looking at things I know nothing about, but dreaming about what I'd do with them. I love hardware...

Seriously though, It will take at least 4 gallons to completely soak my container. That means mixing drench/water in 5 gallon bucket, transferring to water jug twice, then trying to hold a funnel in one hand and 16 LBS of water in the other and not spilling it all over my carpet. This way, I mix my drench, place the drip line around the plant, flip the switch, and walk away. A little clean up and... done. That stupid ass rectangular fabric pot they sent me does not have seams sewn at the bottom to hold the shape. It is all folded at the bottom. As I filled it, it expanded and completely filled my 24" saucer. I have absolutely no room now to bottom feed. So, I knew I would have to water very slow down the top, and this seemed the easiest solution.

I use it for hard to reach spots in the tent or specific spots on top of big pots..:)

Day 64 Veg

She's growing like crazy now. It's a shame I can't tell if it's the extra CO2 or just that she hooked into the bigger pot. It's been 15 days since I've watered her. My bad! I gave her too much water when I transplanted. She'll probably go a few more days before I water her next. I'm still going to let her dry out and wilt a little first. I had hoped to let her dry out 2 or 3 times before the flip, but it looks like this will be her last drought before I put her into flower.

She finally hit the screen yesterday. Does anyone who reads this journal have experience running a SCROG? I'm looking for a little advice as to when I should flip to 11/13. If she overgrows the screen, it's not that big a deal. I have plenty of headroom. I would be more concerned about my light. It's a MarsHydro Reflector 96X3. Not sure it will have the power to penetrate too much canopy. That is why I opted for a SCROG until I can afford the P450.

OK... Pics just before I sprayed her with Brix.

4-28_1_.JPG
4-28_2_.JPG

Day 64 Veg

She's growing like crazy now. It's a shame I can't tell if it's the extra CO2 or just that she hooked into the bigger pot. It's been 15 days since I've watered her. My bad! I gave her too much water when I transplanted. She'll probably go a few more days before I water her next. I'm still going to let her dry out and wilt a little first. I had hoped to let her dry out 2 or 3 times before the flip, but it looks like this will be her last drought before I put her into flower.

She finally hit the screen yesterday. Does anyone who reads this journal have experience running a SCROG? I'm looking for a little advice as to when I should flip to 11/13. If she overgrows the screen, it's not that big a deal. I have plenty of headroom. I would be more concerned about my light. It's a MarsHydro Reflector 96X3. Not sure it will have the power to penetrate too much canopy. That is why I opted for a SCROG until I can afford the P450.

OK... Pics just before I sprayed her with Brix.

4-28_1_.JPG
4-28_2_.JPG

Artificial looking. Perfect!

Day 70 Veg

It's been 20 days since I watered her last. Growth has slowed in the last day or so. I'm hoping she's building roots now. She's gotta be getting desperate for water. Not yet though. Gonna wait for the slight wilt.

I'm not sure what to do next. Her last water was Transplant/Tea. Next should be Water / 1/4 strength Transplant. If I do that, I'll end up flipping her to 11/13 light sometime during the middle of her needing water again which would be Growth Energy. After that, her next water would be Cat Drench.

So...

Water / 1 week Veg
1st week flower / Growth Energy
3rd week flower / Cat Drench

I'm assuming 2 weeks between water until she kicks into high gear.

I could always give her a gallon or so water between GE and Cat Drench if it looks like she'll need more time for "bud set".

Sounds like a plan!

5-4_2_.JPG
5-4_1_.JPG

Day 70 Veg

It's been 20 days since I watered her last. Growth has slowed in the last day or so. I'm hoping she's building roots now. She's gotta be getting desperate for water. Not yet though. Gonna wait for the slight wilt.

I'm not sure what to do next. Her last water was Transplant/Tea. Next should be Water / 1/4 strength Transplant. If I do that, I'll end up flipping her to 11/13 light sometime during the middle of her needing water again which would be Growth Energy. After that, her next water would be Cat Drench.

So...

Water / 1 week Veg

I could always give her a gallon or so water between GE and Cat Drench if it looks like she'll need more time for "bud set".

Sounds like a plan!

5-4_2_.JPG
5-4_1_.JPG

Just moisten the top with about half a gallon, drizzled on. You've got massive roots by now. Good job!

Keep up with the foliars too. You're now a loosely associated member-at-large of the fake plant club. Congrats!

Day 70 Veg

So...

Water / 1 week Veg

Sounds like a plan!

5-4_2_.JPG
5-4_1_.JPG

masonman, looks great!! :thumb:

Well hi there! Sorry for the lateness. Nis has been talking about "the kit" and is like to see it in action before we decide to go to that method.

Welcome!!! You haven't missed much. Just me taking pictures of every new leaf.

I'm sure you've heard all the positive feedback about the kit already, so I'll spare you. I will say, it's boring!!! I just sit here and watch the "grass" grow. There's never really anything to do. I don't get to mess with the fancy PH meters, or the TDS meter. No guessing about what nutrient she's screaming for. And the worst thing is, she's predictable. She gonna look just like all the other kit plants out there... FAKE

;)

As you can tell, I drank the kool-aid... lol

Back
Top Bottom