Masonman's - Hi-Brix - Jock Horror - 2016

Got a question...

For those of you that have used smart pots, do you wash or rinse them before first use? I still got some time before transplant, was just curious.

many people wash big pots too.
If they have been used before, I would. New?, no reason.

I treat them like clay or plastic pots.
I wash them when empty and dirty.

Thanks guys. Thought it may be similar to cookware that should be washed first to remove any contaminants from the manufacturing process. I was actually setting you up for the follow-up question... how? LOL

I don't know. I never let my fabric pots get empty - I just reuse the soil :rofl:
I hear a washing machine is a good tool for washing fabric.

Got a question...

For those of you that have used smart pots, do you wash or rinse them before first use? I still got some time before transplant, was just curious.

I'd rather take my chances with a dirty soft pot than washing them in MrsZiggy's washing machine..

-just say'n.. :rofl:

Yeah :rofl: I'd do a soak in the brook followed by a sharp spray from the outdoor hose.

We had a teenager wear muddy boots into the house once and it was 8 months and apologies to the Mrs. and vouchsafe by two friends before he was allowed back on the property. :)

Hey mason she is looking healthy and green.......one thing I would add is it seems most of us try to brix and few days after a watering or drench.....I believe the reasoning behind this is not to push the plant near its dry cycle.......I'm sure you can do it either way, I have noticed and try myself to brix a few days after a drench........:high-five:

The new recommendation for spraying Brix is 1/2 strength, twice as often. So instead of every 7-10 days full strength, it's now every 3-5 days half strength. I don't see how it's possible to time the spray for a few days after drench anymore unless I misunderstood the new application. Timing for a few days after drench makes more sense though.

Day 39 Veg

Well, I had to give her water and transplant this morning before I went to work. 6.5 days since the last watering and she was all sad. I normally water/feed when she wakes up at 8pm, but I felt I couldn't let her go another 9 hours of light and 6 hours of dark.

So, she just woke up, and she is all happy :cheer:

She's stretching nicely. I had to tighten the ropes again. I now have 8 tops getting direct light from above. They are hard to see in the pictures.

I'm wanting to prune about 4 of the lowest fan leafs. There's no hope for them, they're dying. I'm sure a little prune wouldn't hurt this early. What do you guys think?

4-4_5_.JPG
4-4_4_.JPG
4-4_3_.JPG
4-4_2_.JPG

After awhile, I think we all just pluck the "less attractive" leaves without much thought - do it, don't do it - meh - like that. :cheesygrinsmiley: The choice is whether to leave them there for a little while longer or take them off while you're looking at them.

The fan leaves start out as integral parts of the the nutrient and hormone system, as well as processing light into sugars and adding to pumping power for the rest of the plumbing system. As they age they mature into basic supplementary sugar factories, no longer involved in the hormone loop. If they start to fail to serve their purpose, the plant begins to isolate them and they die.

It's a subjective choice. Another factor is hygiene. Many/most pests recognize yellow as an attractive color and will flock to it. And soft, failing fans are a good place for molds/etc to take hold. No sense in waving the welcome sign ...

Still ... it's no big deal ... you choose. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The next week or two are gonna be fun! :bravo:

After awhile, I think we all just pluck the "less attractive" leaves without much thought - do it, don't do it - meh - like that. :cheesygrinsmiley: The choice is whether to leave them there for a little while longer or take them off while you're looking at them.

The fan leaves start out as integral parts of the the nutrient and hormone system, as well as processing light into sugars and adding to pumping power for the rest of the plumbing system. As they age they mature into basic supplementary sugar factories, no longer involved in the hormone loop. If they start to fail to serve their purpose, the plant begins to isolate them and they die.

It's a subjective choice. Another factor is hygiene. Many/most pests recognize yellow as an attractive color and will flock to it. And soft, failing fans are a good place for molds/etc to take hold. No sense in waving the welcome sign ...

Still ... it's no big deal ... you choose. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The next week or two are gonna be fun! :bravo:

Thank you Graytail... There's much debate about cutting fan leafs (healthy ones). Wasn't entirely sure if pruning them off while she's this young would cause more stress than just leaving them on. I did cut them off. Glad I did. They looked a lot worse when I got them out from under the canopy and under white light. Almost completely yellow. Definitely don't want any critters squatting there.

She was begging for water today. Bigger fan leaves went limp and were resting on the lip of the pot. I think I let her dry a little too much... lol But last night I thought she had another day or two. I think it has to do with the humidity. It's been crazy low for a couple days. Hovering around 30%.

95% of the time, humidity in my area is extremely high. I Never thought I would have to worry about increasing humidity. She doesn't seem to mind the low humidity right now, just dried out the soil a little faster than normal. Thinking of hanging a wet towel in the GR to see if it helps increase humidity. If it does, it my be more economical to just do that in the winter months. We'll see...

I didn't take any pics since I just took some last night.

So to recap for documentation purposes, she was fed Growth Energy, 1/4 strength Transplant, and Tea about 1 hour before lights out (around 1PM). When she woke up around 8PM this evening, I sprayed her with Destress. She's perking right up and looks happy again.

Day 46 Veg

She had a feeding of Growth Energy yesterday morning, but I'm seeing yellowing leaves again. Should I have given her a Transplant feeding instead? Am I reading that right?

It's nothing I'm worried about, just wondering if this is how the drenches work.

On a side note, my 20 gallon smart pot just isn't going to fit my cabinet the way I had hoped. I ordered a 15 gallon today, but I'll have to wait for shipping. She's close to needing to be transplanted, but I'm sure I can squeeze another 5 days or so out of her. If not, I can backtrack into the city after work one day and pick one up. I'll use the extras I have for my next outdoor grow. Clones of Jock Horror, outdoors, in Doc's kit

:cheer:

4-10_1_.JPG
4-10_2_.JPG

Yep, the latest fade was from the parch. But mostly, you're starting to push the limits of that pot. It's been a luscious, full plant all its life but now it's maturing, so the bushiness isn't all that useful anymore, anyway. :cheesygrinsmiley:

You're scheduled for an upcan in another week, right? That should be perfect. :thumb:

When things are going smoothly, I move my seedling plants into the final pots somewhere in the 50+ day range.

Day 50 Veg

Got my 15 gallon smart pot in the mail today, so I got excited and went ahead and transplanted her.

They sent me the wrong pot though. I wanted round, and they sent me square. Square smart pots are a joke. Don't ever buy one if you really want square. They do not hold their shape (see pictures below.)

I used it any way... screw it

I dusted the hole with roots, but forgot to dust the root ball... I'm sure she'll be just fine. I did score with the razor blade, just didn't get a picture of that. Poured 1 gallon of Transplant water down the top, and 1 1/2 gallons in the saucer. It sure is taking its time wicking up the soil though. I've never watered like that before, so not sure what to expect. I installed the screen 9-10 inches above the soil. Time to let her veg for another month or so (I actually have no idea how long it will be in veg. Never ran a SCROG before.)

You know, I've been a Brick Layer for just about 25 years now. I deal with plumb, level, and square every day. But, I sure as heck couldn't find the center of the pot... lol It actually worked out well though. I needed to slide the pot off center so I didn't block my fresh air inlet. That put the plant pretty much dead center to the screen.

:lot-o-toke:

4-14_2_.JPG
4-14_3_.JPG
4-14_5_.JPG
4-14_1_.JPG

Day 53 Veg

Well, It's been 3 days since I transplanted her to the final container. She's over the shock, so I figured it was time to start training her again. Just used some coat hangers to tie down the 4 tops. I kind of want the middle of the plant to reach the screen at the same time the main tops do. I'm thinking as soon as everything hits the screen, I'll flip to 12/12 or 11/13. Haven't made up my mind on the light schedule yet. It's a sativa-dominant hybrid, so I'm leaning more towards 11/13. Does anyone have an opinion?

4-17_1_.JPG
4-17_2_.JPG
4-17_3_.JPG

Well, spring is here, and it's time for some fun with veggies and Doc's kit. This is just an experiment that I'm anxious to try. I went to Wally World and bought an heirloom tomato, sweet bell pepper, and a hot banana pepper. I'm going to follow the same directions we use on our favorite flower.

Back
Top Bottom