My First Grow Journal OG #18 - Scrog - Recirculating Aero/DWC 600w LED Medical Grow

Re: My First Grow Journal OG #18 - Scrog - Recirculating Aero/DWC 600w LED Medical Gr

well im really not happy with the advandced nutrients ph perfect sensi line. not only did i get spots on my new girls by doing what they told me to, the base nutes are leaving some muck on the bottom of my res. my hydro store guys tells me everyone is raving about the Heavy 16 line so i guess im going to give them a shot. once my roots get huge i wont be able to clean my res good every res change so i want something thats going to run cleaner. i really hate being lied to by a company.

I used to use Advanced Nutrients. I too hated the muck it left in the bottom of my res. I also hated the price tag. I switched to Blue Planet and never looked back.

Re: My First Grow Journal OG #18 - Scrog - Recirculating Aero/DWC 600w LED Medical Gr

I used to use Advanced Nutrients. I too hated the muck it left in the bottom of my res. I also hated the price tag. I switched to Blue Planet and never looked back.
now i'm going through some bs tring to get them to honor their guarentee. all hype.

update
changed res today because i noticed some puple on the stems. added 15ml pro-tekt silicon , 15ml calimagic, 10ml orca, 75ml heavy 16 prime, 120ml heavy 16 veg a&b. 570 ppms . also folar fed floralicious plus. roots are super white and healthy, going to do first heavy defoilation in a day or two. growth rate is increasing, i feel this system is perfect for the stress i'm planningon putting them through.
IMG_105513.JPG

IMG_10647.JPG

IMG_106311.JPG

:thanks:

well started defoiliating today, was doing the third bend on the right plant and had the main stem snap on me. so i put in a stake and supported the stem with the break together. :yikes:
managed to defoiliated and tie down left plant without issue. dialed back my light intensty and ran cooler temps rest of the night. hope it heals.
IMG_106510.JPG

IMG_106612.JPG

here is the break
IMG_10679.JPG

IMG_106810.JPG

IMG_106910.JPG

thanks for stopping in

Yeah, your heart sinks when they snap. Itll be fine though, you should get the bottom shoots growing like mad now cause youve inadvertently supercropped her. It happened to me last week with my scrog, and I love the results. Im now going to break all the main stems on my next grow. They're looking good:)

Oh that's just a cute.little break buddy, keep her closed up and shell heal in no time and thank ya for it.

Yeah, your heart sinks when they snap. Itll be fine though, you should get the bottom shoots growing like mad now cause youve inadvertently supercropped her. It happened to me last week with my scrog, and I love the results. Im now going to break all the main stems on my next grow. They're looking good:)

thats very good to hear i felt like i just broke my daughters arm. lol and your right the plant has recovered very quickly.
thanks for all the support.:thanks:

thanks cannasensei for the support. reps +

update
well i was successful at returning all my AN line up which is good. my new line up is as follows:
heavy 16 veg a&b
heavy 16 bud a&b
heavy 16 prime
heavy 16 fire
calimagic
cannazym
roots excelurator
orca
bti
liquid light and saturator

the left plant has some tip yellowing from the defoilating i assume cause ppm strength is at 550 and has been for over a week
the right plant that got broke is recovering nicely

used the dm liquid light and penatrator today for the first time hear really good things about these products, excited to see the results.
will use 2x a week
IMG_107015.JPG

IMG_107115.JPG

IMG_107215.JPG

IMG_107311.JPG

hung my other two lights today. now were playing with power:high-five:
running the ds200 and ds100 with only the veg switches on right now
IMG_107412.JPG

IMG_107615.JPG

IMG_107511.JPG

yeah jon, i took the pics at full power. i'm running the ds 350xml at full power and the ds 200 and ds 100 with only the veg switches on right now. the girls still have some purple showing on the stems so i guess i'm going to have to bump up the calmag next res change. they really dont like alot of nutes and heavy 16 feed chart says that my additives shouldn't be more than 33% of my total ppms so i cant add anywhere near the gh's recommended dose.
the girls are loving the liquid light, today my ppms were 510 and before were staying at 550 pretty steady so they have been munching:morenutes:
IMG_107815.JPG

IMG_107915.JPG

IMG_108016.JPG

thanks jon for stopping by your input is always appreciated

thanks jon for the info, as always your help is very appreciated. your new journal is off to a great start and i know it will be a joy following along to the end:Namaste:

one thing i havent liked when i do a res change is that once i make up the new nutes and ph adjust it i then put the nutes/water in the unit. six hours later my ph has climbed high enough i need to adjust again due to co2 being released during the oxygenating process. so i decided to airate my water for few days prior to mixing nutes for the new res. hopefully i'll get the normal slow ph rise from the gate.
update
trimmed a couple node blocking leaves from the left plant and trainned main stem down again
letting right plant heal some more before trimming and bending again

airating water for res
IMG_108214.JPG

IMG_108423.JPG

IMG_108317.JPG

IMG_108510.JPG

Looking great so far - nice job! Thanks for inviting me to check out your journal. :)

On the "PH perfect" nutes... it's a bit misleading. I believe you are really talking about a product with "advanced" chelates that allows the uptake of certain nutrients through a wider PH range - essentially giving you a larger buffer or wider effective PH range. There's a lot of confusion about this line, due to the name. Many other nutrient companies use high quality chelates as well, and will also be effective through a wide PH range. Clever marketing? For certain, if not a bit misleading. I'm not familiar with "Heavy 16" but I'm sure it'll do the job just fine.

What kind of TDS/PPM pen are you using - or, more importantly, do you know how your PPMs are calculated (there is a conversion factor such as .5 or .7 that is applied to the EC for PPM's). The reason I ask, is PPM's aren't a universal number. Some meters read the same solution as radically different PPM numbers. Weird, but true! Just want to understand your feed strength better. My gut reaction, is that you are feeding them a bit light, as your spots earlier in the grow may have been a simple calcium deficiency. At those low-level PPM's, the PH isn't typically as critical. I use a .7 conversion meter by Oakton, and I'd typically have a little higher PPM's for the plants you have going (assuming all else is good with environment and pests).

Speaking of pests, I noticed the Bti and yellow cards - are fungus gnats an issue, or have they been? Or are these preventative measures?

Also, if it were me, I'd consider getting the new nutrients dialed in before using Liquid Light/Penetrator much. Only because it adds a layer of complication that makes things difficult to diagnose if things aren't going ideally. I have used Liquid Light, and have had some "burn" when things weren't dialed in fully. Your call though, just a thought! :)

Some of the products you are using have a reputation for causing "gunk" though it's typically more of a nuisance than a problem. With hydro you have 2 options for a healthy root zone. The first, is sterile. Products like Dutch Master "Zone" help keep a healthy yet sterile root environment, and are usually pretty "gunk free" as far as reservoir sludge. The other way to go, which you are doing, is mycorrhiza (myco's), enzymes (ie. hygrozyme, cannazyme, etc.) and beneficials (benny's). The by-product of these is a bit more particulate and "muck" in your system as these living organisms and spores breed prodigiously and die-off prodigiously, or leave behind particulates. Orca, Cannazyme, Rapid Root, etc. are products that can contribute to some gunk and muck - products like Floralicious Plus feed some of the beneficials, etc. and contribute as well. Great way to go, but some sludgy bi-product can occur. Res temps at or under 67f should help limit it some. To remove the gunk, you'd probably want to remove all of those products and instead use a root zone conditioner/cleaner (I don't recommend h2o2 for this either, btw, too harsh and indiscriminating). Again, think products like "Zone" - (there are others too). Or, just live with some small amount of gunk/particulate/muck, which is okay too (as long as things aren't getting clogged).

Good start - Can't wait to see the through to the end! :goodluck:

Looking great so far - nice job! Thanks for inviting me to check out your journal. :)

On the "PH perfect" nutes... it's a bit misleading. I believe you are really talking about a product with "advanced" chelates that allows the uptake of certain nutrients through a wider PH range - essentially giving you a larger buffer or wider effective PH range. There's a lot of confusion about this line, due to the name. Many other nutrient companies use high quality chelates as well, and will also be effective through a wide PH range. Clever marketing? For certain, if not a bit misleading. I'm not familiar with "Heavy 16" but I'm sure it'll do the job just fine.

What kind of TDS/PPM pen are you using - or, more importantly, do you know how your PPMs are calculated (there is a conversion factor such as .5 or .7 that is applied to the EC for PPM's). The reason I ask, is PPM's aren't a universal number. Some meters read the same solution as radically different PPM numbers. Weird, but true! Just want to understand your feed strength better. My gut reaction, is that you are feeding them a bit light, as your spots earlier in the grow may have been a simple calcium deficiency. At those low-level PPM's, the PH isn't typically as critical. I use a .7 conversion meter by Oakton, and I'd typically have a little higher PPM's for the plants you have going (assuming all else is good with environment and pests).

Speaking of pests, I noticed the Bti and yellow cards - are fungus gnats an issue, or have they been? Or are these preventative measures?

Also, if it were me, I'd consider getting the new nutrients dialed in before using Liquid Light/Penetrator much. Only because it adds a layer of complication that makes things difficult to diagnose if things aren't going ideally. I have used Liquid Light, and have had some "burn" when things weren't dialed in fully. Your call though, just a thought! :)

Some of the products you are using have a reputation for causing "gunk" though it's typically more of a nuisance than a problem. With hydro you have 2 options for a healthy root zone. The first, is sterile. Products like Dutch Master "Zone" help keep a healthy yet sterile root environment, and are usually pretty "gunk free" as far as reservoir sludge. The other way to go, which you are doing, is mycorrhiza (myco's), enzymes (ie. hygrozyme, cannazyme, etc.) and beneficials (benny's). The by-product of these is a bit more particulate and "muck" in your system as these living organisms and spores breed prodigiously and die-off prodigiously, or leave behind particulates. Orca, Cannazyme, Rapid Root, etc. are products that can contribute to some gunk and muck - products like Floralicious Plus feed some of the beneficials, etc. and contribute as well. Great way to go, but some sludgy bi-product can occur. Res temps at or under 67f should help limit it some. To remove the gunk, you'd probably want to remove all of those products and instead use a root zone conditioner/cleaner (I don't recommend h2o2 for this either, btw, too harsh and indiscriminating). Again, think products like "Zone" - (there are others too). Or, just live with some small amount of gunk/particulate/muck, which is okay too (as long as things aren't getting clogged).

Good start - Can't wait to see the through to the end! :goodluck:

thank you for stopping by and the great info:thanks:

since switching nutes the muck in the res has been at a minimum. I have an HM digital tds ez meter .5 conversion, i just ordered an HM digital ap-2 ec meter as i feel it will work better for my application.
yes i have had problems with fungus gnats in the past, but not since using bti, the bti and yellow cards are preventive at this time.
i've done alot of research on the Reserva Privada OG#18 stain and i have found most people who've grown this strain to say 800-900ppms is the max strength this strain likes even in peak flowering. i had the ppms as high as 626 and did get tip yellowing on the left plant very slight though and only after a defoilation. i will be raising ppms slightly with every res change.
as for the liquid light i'm using at half strength and will continue half strength for the first 4 treatments. by then i hope all is dialed in.
i've never run a sterile res before always used bennys, but was considering switching to DM ZONE after 3rd week of flower after roots are large. what do you think about that idea?
thanks again for your expert insight, it will be honor to have you along for ride:Namaste:

Hi Ronnie -

Okay, with .5 your PPM's seem a bit more in line to me. I agree that some OG strains are a little touchier on the nutrient strength, though I've never grown OG #18 specifically. I kind of like the idea of Zone from week 3 bloom forward, as the mycorrhiza don't do very well with bloom nutrient mixes. Glad to follow along! :)

well i did a res change today added protekt 30ml calmag 18ml prime 75ml 134ml veg a&b 18ml roots excel , ppms 600
did more training on the left plant and trimmed a few light blockers on right plant. i dont want to bend the right plant again yet so i attempted to FIMM the main stem.
picked up an autopilot dual day and night temp control because i kept forgetting to change the temp control before crashing out.

autopilot
IMG_109111.JPG

IMG_109315.JPG

IMG_109215.JPG

IMG_109421.JPG

FIMM job
IMG_109514.JPG

thanks everyone:thanks:

well did some more training and pruned a couple big leaves. used liquid light at half strength. ppms were 540 tonight from 600 last night, it seems the liquid light really gets them eating. hey jon when do I start topping?
:thanks: thanks for stopping in.
IMG_110114.JPG

IMG_110218.JPG

IMG_110013.JPG

Start topping brother. They're on a fuckin warpath lol

Back
Top Bottom