New Scotland Guerilla Grow

Glasgrow

The time is upon me to start a new outdoor guerilla grow this year. The site has still to be prepped up as I didn't have time over the past few months to get it sorted out but a start has been made with approx 200L of compost sitting at the new site. Hopefully this has remained untouched/undisturbed over the past 6 months or so (it is still in the bags hidden in a bush). Seeds have been ordered and with the exception of any freebies I will be growing 5 x ak 49, 1 x buddha seeds magnum, 2 x amnesia haze, 2 x polar express and 1 blue cheese (all autoflowering). I will be growing 1 photoperiod of strawberry blue. I hope to be sorting the site at the end of this month and will either dig up the native ground and mix in the compost (it is only grass the grows there) or may just lay the compost directly on top of the grass. With this I will mix in a box of fish blood and bone meal and a large box of chicken manure pellets and allow the ground to settle for about a month. Seeds will be germinated indoors at end of march/begin of april for approx 2 weeks before hardening off on the balcony for a further 2 weeks. Seedlings will be taken outdoors at begin of may and covered with plastic bottles to protect from any possible ground frostand any other critters for approx 2 weeks, and will help keep them warm. The last 3 years the weather has been quite warm in may and very sunny so am looking to take advantge of the plants getting more direct sunlight early on this year rather than waiting till june to plant and not getting the light they so badly need. The strawberry blue will be planted alongside the rest of them and when the autos are done i will give this plant its own cage and will attempt to force flower early so it finishes in time. More to follow in due course and any advice appreciated in the meantime.

You'll love the Autos. Almost care-free and FAST! My one Polar Express Auto, however, took as long as a photo to mature. Was either mislabeled or didn't have enough Ruderalis genes.

Be sure you give them a deep pot, or you will get mini-plants with one cola. Cheap deep containers are kitchen trash receptacles. Mine were 3 gallons, but you can go 5 gallons and let them grow to the ceiling.

Don't top them, no matter what you read. I had one Auto (Auto Berry) form one 3 foot cola. The center stem was PACKED! it grew to a height of 48" in the 3 gallon bin.

Well I have grown autos for the past 2 years but last years grow (see my sig) was pitiful, that was due to not using any decent soil and thinking the native soil would do well, ha, it didn't. I hope my polar express doesn't take too long to finish. I got some kc 45's last year but they were not autos and I didn't bother to check on them after a certain period of time so they probably died. Needless to say the kc 45's are not on the seedbank's auto list anymore.

I am not putting them into pots, getting planted into the compost and native soil mix (or just the compost if I don't dig up the ground soil). The roots will have plenty of room to grow with approx 15-20L of compost each. Putting pots outside would mean they could easily get stolen if spotted and it a hassle of taking them out there as well.

I have never topped autos in the past and doubt i ever will. If any of them get too tall then I will have to. As time goes by for them then there a chance of mould/budrot and if the weather takes a turn for the worse then the site will get covered with opaque plastic which will still allow sunlight to penetrate through while keeping the rain off them. There will be holes in the plastic to allow rain to wet the ground and give the plants water.

This year I hope for a bumper harvest. An oz or more per plant will be great but I, personally, will be happy with enough to cover my initial costs and give me enough smoke to last me over a year. So even with 10g per plant will be plentiful for me. In the past I have set my goals too high so I now set my targets a lot lower so I don't get disappointed. Plus points for this year - new spot which gets plenty of sunlight for pretty much most of the day, it is sort of hidden, decent soil/compost, getting them outside a month+ than previous years and it gets the morning sun which I hear is better for the plants. Next update will be in around 2 weeks time when i start my seeds off and get the site prepped up. But still any pointers appreciated.

Howdy guys and gals. My seeds arrived yesterday and I asked the seedbank to replace free photo seeds with autos which they kindly did for me. The extra seeds i now have are gorilla glue auto (by auto seeds), critical + 2.0 auto (by dinafem seeds) and blue dream'matic auto (by fast bud seeds). The last one takes a bit longer to finish than the rest so will need to be patient with it. I will let you look at what these plants offer. I do have 1 photo seed - holy punch which I will probably leave and give it to pal who has a friend that grows.

Finally got my seeds soaking and also got my rockwool soaking in ph'd water of approx 4.5 so will test water in the morning to see if ph is around 5.5. Just used cooled boiled water from the kettle and added some lemon juice to adjust ph. I now have a big plastic tub to adjust for lights and fan so it will fit in my cupboard. Will put up pics in the next couple of days but my s7 edge has completely died on me so having to use an old s5 for the meantime.

This is my new mini grow propogator. 65L box lined with white plastic bin bags and will be covered tomorrow with black card. This will allow it to sit in my bedroom cupboard with no light leaking out so I can leave it on 24/7 for the next couple of weeks and there will be extra room for any potential height they may gain as my previous propogator only has room for approx 2" before hitting the lid on top. The LED light is the same I used last year - 15W if I remember correctly. Rockwool cubes have been soaked in PH adjusted water overnight, then soaked in tepid water for around 10 hours then a final soak in water with 1/4 strength nutes for an hour or so. Cubes have been placed in the propogator till tomorrow to allow then to dry a little bit and to see if there is much RH in the box (would hate the lights to blow due to too much condensation but it should be ok). Seeds are starting to show signs of cracking already after placing them between sheets of kitchen roll so they will all get placed into the cubes tomorrow evening and lights will be turned on and left on. Only problem I have with the box is the problem of getting airflow around the plants. No room to fit a fan inside the box so will need to figure out some other idea.

The babies will be there for approx 2-3 weeks before being placed outside on the balcony to harden off. During the initial indoor phase once the roots start to pop through the bottom of the cubes they will get transferred into 3" pots with a mix of multi-purpose compost and perlite.

I managed to get my s7 working again so am back on track.

Day 4 - all but 2 seeds have broke above the tops of the RW cubes. Had to make an adjustment to 1 as the root was growing up! Covered it with a little bit of RW to prevent light damaging it.

Which is the better pic? 1 with flash and 1 without.

Morning GG, congrats on the 2 that broke surface, me personally I'd go with pic 1 as flash is illuminating the dark spots that pic 2 hides.... Happy Days GG the rest are on their way:goodjob:

There were just 2 that hadn't broke the surface although upon further inspection it is actually 4 that havent broke above the tops of the cubes. I had a quick look at them this morning before i headed out and it still much the same although the gorilla glue is well stretching for the light so may need to raise the seedlings to prevent the stretch. Temps are stable at around 24.6°C with RH sitting above 95% which seems just about right to me. Cant lower the temps and as of yet cannot get a fan in. I will have a much better look at all the cubes later to see exactly how many haven't broken the surface. I got my wee boy here for the week so any work that needs doing or any checking will need to get done when I send him to the shop.

Well it is 3 that haven't broke the surface. There are 2 ak49's and 1 amnesia haze that are the culprits. 1 of the ak49's had a funny dark looking taproot which wasn't quite out the shell and the other hadn't any taproot at all when I placed them into RW cubes. The amnesia haze on the other hand had a taproot and was carefully placed into the cube and while the other has shot up this appears to be doing nothing. Oh well, only time will tell if they will make it or not. All the rest are shooting up at this early stage but i need to raise them to the lights otherwise they will all be long and spindly, not what i want at this early stage.

Started on your journal smeegol but yet to read it all.

I checked the amnesia haze that hadnt sprouted, took the whole seed out but it was very weak and after gentle prising of thr shell and cotyledons it fell apart. Also the 2 ak 49's arent showing much promise so have now ordered in replacements so will get them started as soon as they arrive (hopefully wed). They will be a bit behind the rest but hoping they prove fruitiful.

The rest are all doing well but suffering some major stretch. Will need to make splints for them before transferring to soil. I may be able to wrap the stem around the cube when transplanting so that will help with extra roots and shorten the stem as well. Within 2 weeks I will have them hardening off on the balcony. I want to get them out to the site begin of May for some good sunshine. Still not prepped it up yet but hopefully by next weekend it will be done. Other half is in hospital so having to do everything myself with 2 kids in tow and they make working on the plants nigh on impossible.

Here to watch the journey.

I actually have a friend here from Glasgow on vacation. He told me to ask you...

"who works your foot"

No idea what it means, but he's laughing his arse off.

@loomis420, I'd also like to know as I have Scottish heritage from my gran as she was born there but moved to South Africa as a little girl.......

@Glasgrow, thanks for popping by, please feel free to ask anything.
Sorry to hear about your other half, but I'm sure you'll manage ok, even though it's stressful...hugs
And you'll care well for the stretchy girls and you'll see they'll bounce back..

Hey loomis have never heard of the saying "who works your foot" so can't shed any light on it.

Have dealth with the stretch by raising the seeds closer to the light and have turned the ones leaning inwards outwards so they will straighten up a bit. A couple of pics to show how they are doing. However, the first two that are showing is the the buddha magnum. It has sprouted, cotyledons are showing but the first set of small non-true leaves are missing. I have never seen this before and can't seem to find any info on this "phenomenon" anywhere on the net. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this and whether or not this has happened to anyone before and will the plant still make it? I have ordered a replacement seed but the company is out of stock of them till wed so my order won't arrive till fri/sat so these new seeds will be approx 2 weeks behind the rest of them and no way of getting them to catch up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom