NOCO - Coco Loco - Tahoe OG - ScrOG - 2014 Grow Journal

King John do you think any syrup would work?

I have read of orange juice and flavouring syrups being used as part of a final flush given to the plants in the last 6 hours before harvest.

I'm not sure how the plant, and especially the resins, would react to an alcohol based substance within the plant itself. If you do decide to try it, use real, not artificially flavored, extract and try it on a few cut branches sitting in the extract solution in case it does damage the plant and/or potency.

All the flavorings will never compare to a properly flushed plant allowed to go until it has used most of its stored energy.

Just saying. all these flavorings people talk about are snake oil. raw coconut water for the win if you use anything.

For my own taste I agree with shottafire. I love seeing how the tastes emerge from a good cure. Although lately I'm having good results just doing the initial dry in paper bags, sometimes ventilating and sometimes closing them up. It is like a 'quick cure'. Very tasty and smokeable after about 6 days. :)

Looking good dude. I only add molasses in my tea's every other watering. I use it to feed the bacteria in the soil and not so much for taste. I prefer to have the taste of weed and not mask the smell and taste with additives besides I only put in natural products and I am not sure how they make the extracts but I am pretty sure it is probably not extracted without use of chemicals but not sure. I'd say grow tastier buds so you don't have to add to it.

For my own taste I agree with shottafire. I love seeing how the tastes emerge from a good cure. Although lately I'm having good results just doing the initial dry in paper bags, sometimes ventilating and sometimes closing them up. It is like a 'quick cure'. Very tasty and smokeable after about 6 days. :)

If you don't mind sharing Pantagruel, I liked to hear about this quick tasty cure?

If you don't mind sharing Pantagruel, I liked to hear about this quick tasty cure?

Since my quantities are not large, I can spread the buds out in one layer in a big brown paper bag. I aim to have the outside quite dry by 5 days (4 for the smaller stuff, which I bag separate). I'll alternate days letting the bag sit closed on my LED which is just slightly warm, then sitting open next to my air intake. Once the outside is dry, I jar it for a day or so so everything softens up as the moisture wicks out from inside, then back in the bag. It takes a lot of attention, I check progress frequently. It is a little slower than hanging for big buds.

Again thanks everyone for your input, So I did not add syrup, extract, etc... to my flush. I actually have not watered my plants for about 5 days now. I turned the 600 watt HPS off last night. Got up this morning and cut all the fan leafs off. The plants were very droopy this morning. I will leave lights off all night i cut down in the morning. temp is 64 degrees 40% humidity.

anyone have any suggestions or comments on my humidity? is it to low?

You don't want it to get much lower than 40% during drying or the buds will dry out too quickly. An RH of 40% - 60% is the ideal range for drying.

What would you suggest to increase humidity, should i pick up the temp a little? again please remember that i have not cut them down yet, just simply cut all large leafs.

What would you suggest to increase humidity, should i pick up the temp a little? again please remember that i have not cut them down yet, just simply cut all large leafs.

Nah, you should be fine at 40%, I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't fall below that really. Drying times are already short here in relatively dry Colorado, less than a week total in most cases. The ideal drying environment is dark, with moderate airflow around the buds and an RH between 40% and 60%. Temperatures are far less important and can run the gamut but should stay between say 65° and 85°. During the winter I run a humidifier when I dry, right now, especially with the recent rains, humidity is such that nohing additional is required.

besides a humidifier. I don't have one!

next question if the air is drier meaning humidity below 40% it would dry my buds faster wouldn't this mean i could put them in jars faster? slow them down then??? or would that still be to quick of a dry?

If the RH is too low, then the outer parts of the buds dry too quickly making it more difficult for them to wick the inner moisture away from the center of the bud. So while the outside of a bud is dry and crispy, then center is still too moist requiring multiple burps over a longer period of time to achieve proper moisture content for curing, which is 62%.

If the RH is too high, obviously they will take a long time to dry and may not dry enough if the RH is well above the ideal curing RH of 62%. Not only that but you run the risk of mold ruining your harvest with an RH of 70% or higher.

Thanks CH, that's was my concern, that it might be a little too dry here in Colorado. I will keep a eye on it thanks again!

For the vast majority of the year it is quite dry here, but with monsoon season in full swing, some adjustments will probably have to be made for the next few weeks or so until it returns to the semi-arid environment that exists here for the other 10 months of the year. ;)

Back
Top Bottom