O.G. Kush - Coco Coir Tent Grow

Re: O.G. Kush-BPN Nutrients-Coco Coir tent grow

Crab girl is going down hill. I think I may have over watered her, and possibly overfed. Let alone the stress I have caused her with all the bending. Leaves are losing color and some spots are showing.
I'm thinking I need to PH my nute mix when using coco coir. BPN's Farmer Pride in soil does not need to be PH adjusted. This is my first coco coir grow so I'm learning as I go.

Keep in mind she is under an HPS, but you can still get an idea of color loss.

420_665.jpg

Check out the elbow in this pic, lol
420_667.jpg

420_668.jpg

420_669.jpg

420_670.jpg

Any advice is appreciated :thanks:

On a lighter note, clones are looking good so far
420_671.jpg

It would be wise to PH in that coir bro. Flush it too. Never used sunshine #4, I went with Canna Coco Coir. Some of my plants in 1st journal were in Canna, and because I didn't give them the attn they needed, they produced subpar. Hate to see u make a mistake u can avoid.

Only problem with that is organic nutrients aren't fully readily available to the plant, rather they are food for the microbes to break down which in turn feeds the plant.

PH up & down will kill your living microbes which is necessary to use organic nutrients at their full potential.

Coco uses up nutrients at different rates then soil, which is why they formulate coco specific nutrients. Not saying you can't use your nutrients with the coco because I'm running the same nute line in coco. I'm just saying you may need to tweak the feed schedule to avoid deficiencies in coco. For instance I'm pretty sure coco is known to eat up Cal/Mag at faster rates, which is why a lot of coco growers increase their Cal/Mag dosages.

It would be wise to PH in that coir bro. Flush it too. Never used sunshine #4, I went with Canna Coco Coir. Some of my plants in 1st journal were in Canna, and because I didn't give them the attn they needed, they produced subpar. Hate to see u make a mistake u can avoid.

Thanks BWC. Once she dries out from my over watering I will flush with higher PH'd water. I noticed you stated in your Hybrid thread, purple streaking is caused by low PH. Makes sense and goes along with purple stems due to Mag deficiency. Am I correct on that?

Only problem with that is organic nutrients aren't fully readily available to the plant, rather they are food for the microbes to break down which in turn feeds the plant.

PH up & down will kill your living microbes which is necessary to use organic nutrients at their full potential.

Coco uses up nutrients at different rates then soil, which is why they formulate coco specific nutrients. Not saying you can't use your nutrients with the coco because I'm running the same nute line in coco. I'm just saying you may need to tweak the feed schedule to avoid deficiencies in coco. For instance I'm pretty sure coco is known to eat up Cal/Mag at faster rates, which is why a lot of coco growers increase their Cal/Mag dosages.

Thanks Stoned. This brings up a point a buddy has tried to beat into me. He uses Sunshine #4 as well, but lighting is in the 1k+ range. It is setup as a direct flood and drain with nutes constantly...full on hydro feeding basically. His results are amazing, but I consider our setups to be apples and oranges due to the huge deficit in lumens. His pots never dry out...

Not too much to report. I over watered big time after the transplant. She finally needed water today...it's been 4 days since the last water. Live and learn, it is what it is. Leaves have lightened up a little more but no spots or burning showing.
Just gave her some additives with this watering. 300 ppms and ph'd it at 6.8...only took 4 drops of PH up to accomplish that. Next watering I'll hit her with 500 ppm of the 3 part and hope to see her get some color back.

I don't want to switch to flower if she isn't thriving, not worth the time. Clones are looking great under the dome. I'll know in the next two weeks whether she will go into flower, or maybe some clones will be put into flower instead. If I go with clones, I'll do more of a SOG type of grow to finish before the hot summer starts.

PH and Purpling Plant Parts

Yard,
Some strains I've grown were completely green. Others were mostly green with purple petioles. Then I had some with vertical, purple, stripes on the stems along with purple petioles. The ones that yielded significantly less had striped stems and/or reddish-purple petioles. Many times I thought I was seeing signs of deficiencies, which I was. Thing is, they were most often due to lockout mainly as a result of an acidic PH.

Re: PH and Purpling Plant Parts

Yard,
Some strains I've grown were completely green. Others were mostly green with purple petioles. Then I had some with vertical, purple, stripes on the stems along with purple petioles. The ones that yielded significantly less had striped stems and/or reddish-purple petioles. Many times I thought I was seeing signs of deficiencies, which I was. Thing is, they were most often due to lockout mainly as a result of an acidic PH.

Thanks BWC, I hear ya. A lesser yield is the last thing I want. I'm not sure if crab girl will live a full life, only because I have some options readily available. If she was all I had I would grow her to fruition.

I'm positive my main problem was over watering. I put the 'momma' back in the tent, she had been sitting next to a window for the last week.
She was never over watered due to her smaller pot. They both have received the same waterings and feedings, but the mother is all green with no sign of deficiencies.

I was reading a coco journal earlier. The poster stated that he keeps his PH between 5.8 and 6. He also stated that he does not let the pots dry out completely before watering again. Come to think of it, the person was ThatBoyDean a 420mag friend of mine. Here's the link ThatBoyDean's Coco Grow check it out. He's a cool dude and interacts with other members. He has some solid grows under his belt.

I was reading a coco journal earlier. The poster stated that he keeps his PH between 5.8 and 6. He also stated that he does not let the pots dry out completely before watering again. Come to think of it, the person was ThatBoyDean a 420mag friend of mine. Here's the link ThatBoyDean's Coco Grow check it out. He's a cool dude and interacts with other members. He has some solid grows under his belt.

Awesome! Thanks BWC! I'll give that a look before I feed/water tonight. Plus rep my friend...if I can find how to do that now...

Clone update
420_672.jpg

All but 3 have roots showing. A couple of random pics
420_673.jpg

420_674.jpg

I'm thinking I'll start with a clean slate, and use some of these clones to complete this OG grow. I'll do the SOG method (first time) with maybe 4 or 5 unless it gets too crowded, then I'll pull accordingly. My thought is, one more week as clones, then into their final containers for a week under the MH bulb. That means two more weeks for a good root base before we go to flower. Sound long enough? Judging by the growth rate I've seen with this strain, I don't think I have a choice.

Was the mother of those clones showing preflowers when u took those cuttings?
She had the little pistol/hair things in her branch pits. Mom wasn't too old when I took the cuttings, maybe 4 weeks from rooting I think.

Those are some heaalllllthyyy looking clones my friend

:thumb:

Thank you Stoned! I hope I can keep them that way.

Those little 'pistil/hairs' (if fuzzy and white located at the internodes, good. If u meant the straight, thicker green ones, those are stipules. Both sexes have em) are preflowers which help determine early indication of sex. Good. Might I suggest instead of pulling plants out of ur SOG is to put more in. Pack em in tight, start em quick once they root. they're ready to go if theyre mom showed preflowers when u took the cuts. If they look like they may begin bushing out, prune the lower limbs to encourage vertical growth. Just another idea to consider if thinking of SOGing

Just gone through the pages bro and your grows going well, plus those clones look amazing. Anyway i see your girls have started to showing some def and i'd suggest you adjust your PH to a acceptable level for coco. Before trying to diagnose whats causing the problem!

Those little 'pistil/hairs' (if fuzzy and white located at the internodes, good. If u meant the straight, thicker green ones, those are stipules. Both sexes have em) are preflowers which help determine early indication of sex. Good. Might I suggest instead of pulling plants out of ur SOG is to put more in. Pack em in tight, start em quick once they root. they're ready to go if theyre mom showed preflowers when u took the cuts. If they look like they may begin bushing out, prune the lower limbs to encourage vertical growth. Just another idea to consider if thinking of SOGing

Thanks for the advice BWC!

Just gone through the pages bro and your grows going well, plus those clones look amazing. Anyway i see your girls have started to showing some def and i'd suggest you adjust your PH to a acceptable level for coco. Before trying to diagnose whats causing the problem!

Thanks, TBD! I'm really happy with the progress of the clones. I'll keep an eye on PH. I thought it was too low, but after reading your journal it was close to spot on, 5.9 or so. Before reading your journal I was starting to think that was low, that's why the last watering I upped it. Definite deficiencies going on. I'm hoping I can do a better job with these clones.

Weekend update: Clones are now in Sunshine #4. Planted today in 16 oz cups. I'm leaving them under the weak floro light for a few days, then into the tent they go to harden off for maybe a week under the MH bulb. Can't wait to flower these plants.

Here is where things get weird for a minute or two...I'm using GH's 3 part now. I just don't think I'm ready for organic, not with coco coir. I live with my plants, the smell when I feed was a bit strong in the whole room. I really like BPN, and hat's off for what they do here for the community, They have answered all my questions, great customer support!
I will be using BPN's 3 part next grow! I've pushed my time table already and had no time to order from Blue Planet. Lack of planning on my part. Again, I will be running BPN my next grow, it's the stuff!

I removed the humidity dome a few days ago. This was today:
420_680.jpg

420_675.jpg

Roots!
420_676.jpg

420_677.jpg

420_678.jpg

420_679.jpg

All said and done. Yeah I made a bit of a mess, no I'm not cleaning it up tonight...

420_681.jpg

After a mist of neem oil, and ProTekt
420_682.jpg

Pics to come after they are in the tent. I'm thinking six. Like BWC said, pack them in there :thumb:

"yea I made a bit of a mess, no I'm not cleaning it up..." Is a main reason I don't use dirt. That and everything I ever grew in dirt died.

"yea I made a bit of a mess, no I'm not cleaning it up..." Is a main reason I don't use dirt. That and everything I ever grew in dirt died.
A little shop vac action and its gone, but I hear ya. I would do hydro if I could. No room for ebb and flow, which I would love to do. DWC is too expensive for me to get into due to heat issues.

Update in 5...4...3...2...1...

Back
Top Bottom