Scooby's 1st grow - LED

I have two Procyon 100's by Home Grown Lights. Link to my grow is here.

First Grow Procyon 100 Lemon Skunk Big Bang

I bought the LED's for veg only, but they did not do so well in that capacity. I think it was some user error. Also, it has a higher percentage of red then blue, so that may be the other part. I was going to just sell them, but my wife convinced me to grow out my mother plants instead of axing them. I decided to do a experiment with the LED's to see if they could flower well. They seem to be doing pretty good. Two Procyon 100's and two 65 watt CFL's on 4 mother plants. They are healthy and happy. I think they would be more filled out than they are under HID's, so am trying to get a sense of comparison. At week 5, they have a lot of bud sites. The lemon skunk is spindly, and has lots of sites, but they are not well filled in. The Big bang is basically just one large cola. It takes up the entire stock and you cannot see stock at all except for lower on the plant, but it hasnt started "plumping" like yours have yet. Good to hear the time frame, I will worry less now that I know they are really not there yet for filling out. I don't know what your experience has been, but it seemed to me that the first part of the grow went by really fast, but as they get closer to harvest, time seems to drag and take forever. I have been watching your thread from day one! way to go. :nicethread:

I actually was watching your grow for awhile but when I read you were only using the LED's for veg I stopped. I've tried to stay up on most of the LED grows going. Although lately that's been getting really really tough. Your plans seem to go like mine, lol. I'm following along again now.

Keep in mind with LED's that everything with them is manufacturer and generation of product specific. With your lights have more blue than red, it should do better for you in flowering than it did in veg (I had these mixed up last week). The cfl's do help A LOT. They seem to make up for whatever spectrum is lacking from whatever LED you have. Seen them added to cheap UFO tent and closet grows and produce semi-decent to decent results.

Mine didn't start getting plump until a little later than they probably should have. And by today's check I am def going to be chopping late. I think this is more me than the light. Keep an eye on Warbux journal as well. His ladies are showing the same thing and also seem a little behind. They may give you an idea of what to expect, but your grow will be specific to your light. I know I've seen if not a complete journal with a Procyon, one that went pretty far into flowering. I'm struggling to remember where I saw it. If I remember I'll shoot it to you.

O, and the problem I had originally with the LED's was a matter of distance. Everyone was telling me to keep them close, so I had them like 4 inches from the plants. They did not do very well. I contacted the manufacture, and they said that the correct distance for this LED is around 16 to 20 inches away. Once I moved them up, things started coming along nicely. Still not convinced that LED's are there yet, HID seems to grow a lot faster and thicker, but for the heat and energy savings, and the cool puprle light, I think they have there place for sure!

That's the standard answer I see people give when someone is having issues. "Move the light right on top of them". My light that's good advice. Your light, not as good, lol. I think LED's are just about to be there. As soon as we sift the riffraff companies out from the quality ones. The used car salesman from the techies and growers. 6 months ago it was tough to find a journal that just used LED's only that produced decent results and smokeable buds. There were a few, but man you had to dig. If nothing else mine and a few other journals have at least now proven that. Now we're going to find out how much BS the manufacturers are still marketing into these products.

Small update.

Finally got my eyes on the trichs. Glad I did. Not as many whites as I was led to believe and plenty of clear ones on both the LAW and WW. Both seem to be at about the same spot. Both BB's are all clear which for now I think should be normal.

thank god ive found someone near the end of a led grow!!! im thinking about gettin a 126w or 180w led light, i simply cant vent my small grow area. if i see you gettin 1 oz per plant(dry).... i will buy one!!!! , The only thing im not looking forward to is buying one just for a better ,cheaper one to turn up few months later lol, bit like computers!

thank god ive found someone near the end of a led grow!!! im thinking about gettin a 126w or 180w led light, i simply cant vent my small grow area. if i see you gettin 1 oz per plant(dry).... i will buy one!!!!

Hey crazy horse. Great to have you aboard for the finish. :welcome:

You should also check out irishboy's journal who has the 180w prosource going against the 126w HGL head to head.

LED Grow Test

A question you need to make sure you ask with LED is how many plants do you want under a light.
Hoping to chop sometime within the next week to ten days.

, The only thing im not looking forward to is buying one just for a better ,cheaper one to turn up few months later lol, bit like computers!

Funny you should say that. HGL just came out with a new light. It's (i think) 205w. They also changed the light spectrum on it some. Not sure if it's better or not, it's def not cheaper!!! lol.

Yes, they all claim that its "equal to" or "grows better than" the HID equiv. Lot of bull crap they talk. I mean, will plants grow. Yes. Do they conserve electricty and put out less heat, yes. But the same or better for growth, I would say no. They say yes. It would be nice if they were honest about there results when they test their products. I would have still probably bought a couple, just maybe a higher wattage, or known that I would be using them in a different capacity for less plants....

Timber !!!!

Chopped the LAW and the WW today. Finally!!

I'll have a nice update with pictures as soon as I get some things done.

Like :bongrip:

Man trimming is a bit of a chore, but well worth it.

Got wet weights. I'm in a little bit of shock to be honest. Can anyone tell me how much weight weight you lose during drying?? Unless I lose more than 80% I'm real happy with my haul. Especially considering my best 2 plants have 2 weeks + left.

Wet weights
LAW - 8-1/2 oz.
WW - 6 oz.

WW was solid buds through the whole plant. Pictures coming!!

Sounds like a nice harvest. Have fun with the manicure, lots of work but well worth it in the end. Great job and can not wait for the pics...

Let's just get to the pictures:

Last group shot.
up-1-8-ledgr.jpg

Blackberry - LED
up-1-8-bb.jpg

up-1-8-bb-2.jpg

up-1-8-bb-3.jpg

Blackberry - Cfl

up-1-8-bb-cfl.jpg

up-1-8-bb-cfl-2.jpg

up-1-8-bb-cfl-3.jpg

up-1-8-bb-cfl-4.jpg

up-1-8-bb-cfl-5.jpg

Compare of both blackberries. Left is LED.

up-1-8-bb-compare.jpg

up-1-8-bb-compare-2.jpg

LA Woman - If she hadn't stretched as much, had i not nuked her with nutes, I wonder what she could have done.

up-1-8-law.jpg

up-1-8-law-2.jpg

up-1-8-law-3.jpg

Wonder Woman - I could not believe how THICK the middle of this plant was. Just cleaning it up for this picture was tedious. I'm not sure how light got to those bottom buds seeing what I saw.

up-1-8-ww.jpg

up-1-8-ww-2.jpg

up-1-8-ww-3.jpg

up-1-8-ww-4.jpg

up-1-8-ww-5.jpg

All those stem gaps were cleaned off before weighing.

Drying now will post weight on scale when finished.

:peace:

Run 2 - Put 4 girls in 3 gal smart pots last night. Mix was roughly 25% perlite, 75% organic potting mix (peat moss, compost) and very little vermiculite. Post-op the girls both look like they'll survive. The one in the red cup was the larger of the 2, the other one looked like it had better roots. The red cup looks like it's perkin up some the last day or so. Once I see new growth I'll put her in her own 3gal. There's a chance I may veg these an extra week for a few reasons.

up-1-8-new1.jpg

up-1-8-new2.jpg

up-1-8-new3.jpg

Timber !!!!

Got wet weights. I'm in a little bit of shock to be honest. Can anyone tell me how much weight weight you lose during drying?? Unless I lose more than 80% I'm real happy with my haul. Especially considering my best 2 plants have 2 weeks + left.

Wet weights
LAW - 8-1/2 oz.
WW - 6 oz.

WW was solid buds through the whole plant. Pictures coming!!

Typically 75% water loss - give or take

Simply amazing.....buds plants, enjoy.....

I spent about 10 minutes looking at that trying to figure out what you spelled with it... :cool:

I shouldn't smoke while reading.

great job for ur first grow. you have potential to grow some fat dank buds. keep at it bro. :goodjob:

Way to go Scooby:surf::surf::surf:

Those buds look great. Now were talking.:goodjob:

:thanks: All!!

Typically 75% water loss - give or take

take would be better than give.

Outstanding, can't wait for your g/w result ;)

:woohoo: LED finish :woohoo:

That will be a little confusing due to how my grow went. Few things to make it complicated.

1. LAW was vegged and started flowering under cfl
2. WW and BB shared 1 - 126w with the LAW for about 4-5 weeks of flowering before I got the second light and moved the LAW under that alone.

If we take the WW and BB-LED those have been under LED the entire time. That would give a pretty fair g/w. The only fudge factor becomes having the 3rd plant under the one light for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom