Stevehman's 780W LED - DIY 4 in PVC Recirc - Caramlicious Grow

Re: stevehman's 780w LED, DIY 4 in PVC recirc, Caramlicious Grow

Day 13 in bloom.
Just changed out 1/2 of the res (10 gal) to the full bloom feeding schedule.

Followed the CES chart for Micro and Bloom
Added the following supplements in less than recommended amounts:
Cal/Mag Plus 30ml
Silica Blast 30ml
Liquid Karma 30ml
Hydroplex 30ml
Hygrozyme 30ml
Sweet 60ml

res temp 71 (need to buy a better chiller, ordering one this week before the temps get too out of control)
pH 5.6
ppm 1183
RH 61%
room temp 83

My thought on adding about 1/3 of the recommended supplements is this:

- The base nutes are supposed to be able to veg and flower without any added help.
- The system is constantly recirculating the nutes, so it is an all-you-can-eat buffet for the plants. I am sure they will pull what they need from the system.
- I have a suspicion that the nute companies have higher dosages so you will use and buy more product (also the reason I don't do complete res changes and do them at two week intervals. Keep the nutes moving and aerated and they should last more that a week.)

So here are the updated pics for the girls.

The baseline girl, I'll call her Baseline Betty, or Betty for short. She has only put on an inch since last pic.
DSC_8511.JPG

Here is the Rockstar of the group, I'll call her Katy, because she is going to be stacked. She is at 20 inches now and looking quite healthy (you'll have to look for the top of the ruler):
DSC_8512.JPG

Here is one of the girls on the Advanced LED side. They're as tall as the rest but not as bushy. To be fare, this is a 180w and the lights from GLH are 300w:
DSC_8515.JPG

And a look at the top of the SOG. I may have to LST or supercrop a few to get them back in line with the rest of the girls (maybe break out the scrog from grow 1.0).
DSC_8514.JPG

I think I am going to put the Advanced LED in between the 2 GLH lights and then raise them all a few inches (I will have to do a mod to the cabinet to make it work though, need to break out the carpenter tools). I'm not trying to do a comparison between the two so I will try to get the lights to "blend" a little better by putting the 180 between the 300s. I think in reality I could probably just get by with the 2 300s by raising them a bit more and putting them 18 inches apart, but since I have the 180, what the hell.

Did a little rearranging of the lights. I put the 180 in between the 2 300's. I decided to remove the glass from the 180 to get a little extra light out of it. It had a bit of residue on it from when I used the foggers on the first grow. When I pulled it apart to remove the glass, the inside was caked up with nute reside from the foggers. Took the air compressor and a tooth brush to the fans, power supply and heat shields. If anyone is using a fogger setup, make sure you have the area sealed up, the fog got everywhere. I am surprised the light still works.

Anyway, the 180 is now betwixt the 300s and it should even out the lighting. The Advanced LED is definitely more purplish/pink and the center of the cabinet has a distinct color than either end (which are quite bright). I'll see if there is a noticeable change in the growth. Katy is under the 180 now, we'll see if she keeps on stretching. I also did a bit of super-cropping to a few of the plants (one by accident). I'll post pics tomorrow of the attempt.

Looking great, that should definately even things out for ya, its too bad you dont have more room, it would be cool to rig all of your lights on to the light mover, could have got a bunch more plants to fit. Keep it up Bro, should be a nice canopy.
Maybe you should keep the three lights rotating to try to keep the canopy nice and even. If one area under the weaker light is lower, swich to the stronger, basically what you have done here, but continue to move them if needed.
Great job!
NEPharmer

it would be cool to rig all of your lights on to the light mover, could have got a bunch more plants to fit.
NEPharmer

That gave me an idea. I can go longer, but not much higher. I could get another 12-18 inches height, add 3-4 feet to the overall length and put the rack on a mover that I have from Grow 1.0.

Or just raise the lights (which I plan on modding my box to match the roof line so it will be at a pitch on top). Then put the current rack on the mover going about 6-10 inches back and forth to even it out. I did notice from Grow 1.0 that the LED on a mover, even going a few inches made a difference. Since the LEDs are spaced out across the face of the panel, I don't know which spectrum is where. A small bit of back-and-forth would help spread the different wave lengths out. I think I have just made up my mind for the next step in the plan.

Process improvement is the name of the game. I am also toying with the idea of an air lift pump. I will build a prototype to see how much flow I get out of it. If it works, I could remove the pump from the res and just have an air pump. Less electricity and more efficient aeration of the nutes. Seems like a win-win if it will work. Although, I think this is the only grow application where an air lift pump would work because of the low pressure aspect of the design.

wow, everything looking awesome dude.

Hemp,
Thanks for the words or encouragement. I'm still a newbie at the hobbie, but I read a lot. I am working towards designing the most simple, hands-off and productive setup I can find (that works for me). I think I am getting there. If I had more space it would be an undercurrant type design, but there is no way I could fit 18 of those units in this space to equal the same output.

Nice, thats exactly what I was thinking. Go longer with all three on the mover. That would spread the light reaslly well, and possibly give you room for a few mor plants. A good plan is key, and there is always room for improvment! Good stuff!

Day 14 in flower:

Res temp 70.4 (new chiller will be here in a wekk)
pH 5.3 (big drop from yesterday's 5.6, but still in the window for the CES feeding chart. Will calibrate meter and recheck this morning)
ppm 1125
ec 2255
temp 82
RH 50%

Topped up res 2 gallons, they are drinking about 2 gallons a day (all measurements taken after topping up and letting system circulate for 10 minutes).

Here is Betty, she likes the nute change to the full bloom schedule, shot up an inch over night.
DSC_8522.JPG

Here is Katy, I did a little super-cropping to her, the one on the right is looking good and turned up to the light. The one on the left isn't looking so good though. Need to gently bend until you feel it slightly crush--not SNAP! (you can make out the one on the left, behind the fan leaf. If it makes it I will take a pic)
DSC_8517.JPG

A pic of the light rack, the lights are also safety wired in to the top of the cabinet, just in case.
DSC_8524.JPG

And a shot of the canopy. Going to get very bushy in there, may have to start doing some selective pruning soon.
DSC_8521.JPG

Here's a shot of some of the buds coming in. Remember this is just 14 days in, straight from the cloner to the 12/12.
DSC_8523.JPG

Based on my last grow, these are going to crush the goal of 1 oz per plant (18 plants in there). They are looking much healthier than the last go around. Also they are smelling a bit stronger than the last time. Can't wait to see what they look like in a few more weeks.

A quick question. Should I post pics daily or every few days, and just give the basic updates daily?

That's fast budding for 14 days of 12/12.

That is what I thought too. Since I am a new grower and only have experience with this and one other strain, I have little to gauge my success on other than other grows. They are covered in little buds--everywhere.

I'm not sure where to pin the success. GLH lights, CES nutes, all of the various supplements (1st grow using Great White also). Maybe it's the water from the local nuclear power plant? Anyway, I am pretty pleased with the performance of the system so far. Everything is ticking along fine. I don't think I'll get close to a gram-a-watt because of space constraints (I really think I have too much light in this area, but going to keep going). If I pull .75 gr/watt I'll be more than happy.

Thanks for checking in Hemp.

You are using TONS of light for your space, almost double what the co's consider saturation, probably why your so fast and dense.

I know. I had ordered (2) 180w lamps from GLH but they were out of stock, so Mike gave me a very good deal on the 300's. I was already 2 weeks longer in veg on Grow 2.0 so I bought them. Ideally I would have 3 of his 180s in here. (if someone wants to swap 3 of GLH's 180s for 2 300s I'm listening)

The shape of the box requires the three lights (2x6) to cover all of the plants, unless I take the 180 out and put the mover in there and raise them up a bit. I'll see how things go with the current setup though before I make any changes. Once this grow is complete though, I am retooling the box.

Day 15 in 12/12:

not much to report, everything is going well in the box. I will get progress photos up tomorrow to show the growth.

I made a small mod today. I added a float valve and attached it to a 5 gallon bucket with R/O water to keep the res level topped up. They have been drinking 2-2.5 gals a day and this will help me monitor that as well as give me a few days of away time on the weekend.
DSCN00721.JPG

Here's a shot of a little "budlet" only 15 days old and getting big quick.
DSCN00733.JPG

Here's the successful super-cropping on Katy, the other attempt (the one that SNAPPED did not make it). You can see how it turned up to the light. This was done yesterday and looking good.
DSCN00741.JPG

Another pic with some leaves moved out of the way to see the bend (although the flash didn't color correct).
DSCN00754.JPG

I'm considering adding a little CO2 to the box. The temps are high enough and I have more than enough light to take advantage of a little extra CO2. Not sure if I can handle too much more growth though. :slide:

Wow, everything looks great. I like your style and approach to this garden. I think you would be doing your new flowers a favor by trimming back some of the older, larger fan leaves. This is a pretty dialed in system right now and I like the frequent updates because hydro moves fast :popcorn:

Day 16 in 12/12:

Res temp 73 (can't wait until the new chiller arrives)
pH 5.38
ppm 1136
ec 2265
temp 85
RH 49%

The addition of the "top-up res" made a difference in keeping the main res level up. This morning it was at the same level as yesterday, but the girls drank a gallon in the past 12 hours. The 5 gallon bucket is see through (semi-opaque) and has measurements marked on the outside in gallons and liters. It makes it easy to see just how much water they are drinking.

The nute levels dipped slightly from yesterday. I will add a little micro and bloom mix tomorrow to bring it back up. CES recommends the following in the bloom stage pH 4.0-6.5 (pretty wide range), EC 2.5-3.2 PPM 1400-1600. I have no signs at all of nute burn and could push the PPM a little, but so far the growth is very good and sometimes less is more (although that is just my observation).

Here are the update pics. Baseline Betty. This pic was taken level so that you can get an idea how the rest of the girls behind her are doing. She is very "average" several of her sisters are doing very well, as much as 8-10 inches taller. Same mom? I really think it is dependent on the location of where the clone was taken as to how they perform in bloom. I'll do a test on the next grow and document where each clone came from (lower, middle top) to see if my theory pans out.
DSC_8530.JPG

Here's a shot of Katy's super-cropped stem mending nicely.
DSC_8527.JPG

And a shot across the canopy, for the sea of green shot.
DSC_8528.JPG

I'll try to update over the weekend, but I am usually doing family stuff and don't have time to tend to the garden. That is one of the reasons of the design, gives me 3 days of hands-off time if I need it.

Wow, everything looks great. I like your style and approach to this garden. I think you would be doing your new flowers a favor by trimming back some of the older, larger fan leaves. This is a pretty dialed in system right now and I like the frequent updates because hydro moves fast :popcorn:

Scoosch, thanks for the encouragement. I am thinking of trimming the lower branches and fan leaves to allow more airflow and directing some of the plant's efforts to the main bud sites. I always am leery about cutting any healthy looking growth though--just doesn't seem right.

Although almost every grow I've seen on here the plants are all neatly trimmed (almost given a Brazilian ).

The girls are thirsty, I did a quick check on them and they've already drank 1.5 gallons so far today, since my update this morning. I also added a quick DIY CO2 generator to it. I am a homebrewer as well and have all of the stuff to make beer. Brewing puts out a lot of CO2, so I put a little fermenter outside the cabinet with a hose leading to the back of the fan to spread the love. I don't expect huge increases in CO2, but even a little will help the plants take advantage of the excess light they are getting.

Nice, adding co2 to this setup should definately help increase your yeild, good stuff! I assume you know to shut it off in the dark cycle.

Back
Top Bottom