Stunger's Organic Balcony: Growing Daughters Of Mulanje: Watering Via Root Aeration Chambers

Update - Mulanje HP - early budding in progress - some closeups

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! And I should point out that here in the Southern Hemisphere it is already 420 day! Yay!

This post is an update on the Mulanje HP (check for previous post above for my update on the Mulanje Sherbert). I am convinced now that I over watered the plant which most likely gave it root issues and following on from that, nutrient access issues that showed in the leaves. I am sure now that is also what happened to the Mulanje I grew last year, it was the biggest plant of that grow and it would wilt again a couple of hours after being watered and so I would water again to relieve it and then later it would again wilt and like a drongo I'd run off for the watering can.

What I posit happened is the high radiant heat coming off the heated stone tiles of the balcony (I have measured it as exceeding 50C or 122F), plus hot days of direct sun and dry winds caused the leaves to wilt because the plant couldn't keep up with the demand from it's large horizontal canopy (4.5 feet across). So I was watering a pot that didn't need it (beside nursing a hernia, it is hard to get under the pot to lift it when the canopy extends so far out), the issue I am guessing is because of the hot drying environment on a plant that has been trained out to be fairly big horizontally which then causes it to become a bit of a struggle for the plant to supply the outer leaves so they temporarily wilt until the sun goes down and takes the pressure off the plant.

In future I will just do 1 watering a day or less. I have no doubt that minor wilting won't be an issue but would probably contribute to a nice droughting effect.

Originally I hexlined this plant with growing out 3 node pairs. After its watering 'shock', it grew out 2 new stems from it's base. 5 of the original stems started drying off, so I chopped them off leaving the 2 new stems and 1 old one that was resurrecting itself.

Once the 5 old dying stems were removed, the remaining plant appears quite good, a nice green, I have added no nutrition, just let it use up the water in the pot. To me, its appearance gives no reason to suspect the soil is bad or compromised. And even the originally plants grew for many months looking green and good, so I still think the soil is quite fine.

Some foliage and budding pics

Some closeup pics

Thanks for dropping in, and wishing all well! :ganjamon:

Amazing story, @Stunger. It was plain old over-watering, which made the broad canopy look like it was wilting. I guess over-watering can in fact look like under-watering. The HP herself looks very much alive, in comeback mode! And on 420 Day, no less! Those HP buds are looking wonderful. Cheers

Or 20/4 as everyone outside the USA calls it lolll!

Those glitter pics! Omg on fleek.
Thanks Tra! I splashed out on a monopod for my camera which I have found is a big help to stability of holding the camera for those closeups. I hope you are still feeling fine while enjoying the good things of isolation.
Amazing story, @Stunger. It was plain old over-watering, which made the broad canopy look like it was wilting. I guess over-watering can in fact look like under-watering. The HP herself looks very much alive, in comeback mode! And on 420 Day, no less! Those HP buds are looking wonderful. Cheers
Cheers Emeraldo! I am concluding that when the horizontal canopy exceeds a certain size, that the plant under heat stress may not be able to keep up servicing the leaves at the ends of the stems. And I dumbly noticed this, but I failed to realise what was happening when the leaves began looking unhappy prior to collapsing. At the time I assumed it was just the overall weather throwing its mix at the plants. So it is now great to have made the connection, or at least I think I have.

Yes, her foliage growth since, appears very nice and lush, and has rocketed up very quickly. And also, her budding progress while well behind is starting to motor quite quickly now. Even at an early stage, there is clear with some cloudy trichomes to be seen.

Congrats on the partial harvest of the Mulanje Sherbert as well as the amazing comeback and new flowers on the Mulanje HP...talk about the will to live! Your closeups are always stunning too.

:bravo:
nursing a hernia
I've had one on each side, repaired two different ways. My suggestion when you finally get yours done: go laparoscopic.

And I should point out that here in the Southern Hemisphere it is already 420 day!
I'm pretty sure that's not how time zones work. :cheesygrinsmiley: Happy belated 420 Stunger!

Congrats on the partial harvest of the Mulanje Sherbert as well as the amazing comeback and new flowers on the Mulanje HP...talk about the will to live! Your closeups are always stunning too.

:bravo:

I've had one on each side, repaired two different ways. My suggestion when you finally get yours done, go laparoscopic.

I'm pretty sure that's not how time zones work. :cheesygrinsmiley: Happy belated 420 Stunger!
Happy 420 Stunger! CL🍀

Thanks Shed!
I've had one on each side, repaired two different ways. My suggestion when you finally get yours done: go laparoscopic.
I haven't looked into it in detail yet, but my intentions would be to have surgery using the Desarda technique for hernia which avoids the use of surgical mesh.
Happy 420 Stunger! CL🍀
Thanks fellas, I hope you guys had a great 420 day!

That’s a tip top recovery job on the HP 👏. She’s just a late bloomer 😏.
Thanks Zeb, I just eased off on the watering and she took it from there on her own!
yeah great recovery , im pleased for u , :peace: :ganjamon:
Cheers Uncle, I'm pleased too, it was a great lesson and I still have skin left in the game!

I dont think you need a Doctor mate. You are a Doctor. A Witch Doctor if I ever did see one.

Raising plants from the dead, casting spells on the Neighbours eyes, giving your Chickens Psychedelic visions, and taking drool worthy pictures even though you're blind.

How hard could it be to fix your own hernia after all those accomplishments using your magic?

I dont think you need a Doctor mate. You are a Doctor. A Witch Doctor if I ever did see one.

Raising plants from the dead, casting spells on the Neighbours eyes, giving your Chickens Psychedelic visions, and taking drool worthy pictures even though you're blind.

How hard could it be to fix your own hernia after all those accomplishments using your magic?
Thanks Deeve. It's less magic and more bumbling along rolling with the punches!
I'll have some of that please?
Haha @StoneOtter, I will probably get on my bike next week and take a loop through certain a walking/riding path with a lot of wood chips around and see if I can spot any psilocybin mushrooms coming up as it should be around the time for them. But failing that, I was wondering about trying to get hold of some seeds of the Zamaldelica strain, which is said to give a strong effect and a bit psychedelic too, dunno cos you have to take so many descriptions with a grain of salt, but it does sound good. Is there a strain you know of that achieves that?
hey stunger has the HP got any aroma ? :peace:
Hey Uncle I just took a whiff, but there's not really much happening yet aroma wise, the HP's buds are still in the white pompom stage but they are progressing, it is going to be interesting how well they mature with the approach of winter so near, fingers crossed of course!

Back
Top Bottom