Surfbuddy's GLR 2L DWC-H Coco Lowryder - Big Bud - BubbleGum - Northern Lights

Single CFL? I thought that too little light makes them stretch? I have 12 CFL's 10 are 6500k and two are 2700. (the ratio was more 2700, but I just changed it when I saw stretch in the other seedlings and this). They are mostly 23w CFLs (100w equiv) with some 13w (75w equiv)

You think I should pull some lights? I also have clones starting in the same dome...

Speaking of clones, should I be spraying the leaves or the riot cube to moisten/water them? or not at all?

I'm using a single 23w 6500k CFL right now at night and alternating it between the window in the day. Being exposed to the sunlight I should be able to throw it right under the 400w MH after bit. Also I'm no expert on clones or seedling so may want to take someone elses advice. However, I'm pretty sure that is a lot of light for rooting clones as well. I've seen people put the clones on a shelf above their light (so only indirect lighting) and they rooted perfectly. In the seedling stage I really only think they need a light source and keep it close. When it moves into veg is when you'll want to add all those lights. Please don't take my advice without anyone else chiming in, but I'm just saying what I've seen and what's working for me. Oh and you can spray the leaves and what not if you would like but sine it's under 87% RH like you said I don't think that's really needed. I don't have my seedling under a humidity dome at all either, never was under one.

I'm using a single 23w 6500k CFL right now at night and alternating it between the window in the day. Being exposed to the sunlight I should be able to throw it right under the 400w MH after bit. Also I'm no expert on clones or seedling so may want to take someone elses advice. However, I'm pretty sure that is a lot of light for rooting clones as well. I've seen people put the clones on a shelf above their light (so only indirect lighting) and they rooted perfectly. In the seedling stage I really only think they need a light source and keep it close. When it moves into veg is when you'll want to add all those lights. Please don't take my advice without anyone else chiming in, but I'm just saying what I've seen and what's working for me. Oh and you can spray the leaves and what not if you would like but sine it's under 87% RH like you said I don't think that's really needed. I don't have my seedling under a humidity dome at all either, never was under one.

Wow, that's so little light! Do they get full sun in the window? I guess I could be moving them back and forth to another light source... but I want them used to the lights... I guess I could be overdoing it a little.

Here's the transplants from the dome. I've since removed the cups on them. Stacked Kush is my next DWC attempt
Stacked-Kush-DWC.jpg

And here is my BigBUd2 with some roots.
BB2-roots.jpg

Thanks Chronic@!

Quick update-- first Bubble Gum female, Yea! it's the 6 topper fim/topped one.
Also the 2nd liberty haze seed finally pushed through the root riot cube...slow and steady... going to have to get more 2L's or maybe try something else... The clones seem to all be doing OK, but the NL clones seem to be doing better.

Now feeding the res only, no top feed, using BPN's 2 part formula schedule from the website, ppm is at 1430, so I water with seedling premix the next two days. Plants are still drinking a ton of it.

I know I am a little late but I am subbed!

Things look good! I am not a pro but I have always used a t5 for starting my seedlings. It always seems to keep the plants nice and squat!

For clones I always put them in my veg tent but I am running out of space now. I dont give the clones any light after cutting for 24 -48 hours. after that period they go into the veg tent with a humidity dome and I tape some paper towel to the top of the dome to keep the light intensity at bay. seems to work really well for me. clones root usually in 7-10 days!

Thanks for the tips shottafire... I guess i am nuking my babies at this point... two of the seedlings look torched :( I am going to remove more lights from the veg end (all CFLs at this point).

I just figured that some people start seeds outdoors, so if those seedlings don't get burnt (maybe they do), then they should be able to take some CFL's...

Lesson learned, less light for babies!

That big bud looks great :) and I agree, less light. I really have no clue about seedlings because I always get clones. But my sensi star seedling is doing good under just the one CFL and yes when it's in the window it gets direct sunlight. I'm assuming minimal light is needed during the seedling stage and after its established and moved into veg you can turn up the lights!

Dont nute ur babies so earl SB. I never give my babies anything for the first 10-12 days after breaking coco. I Start them in a seedling soil in 4oz. cups (size of a shot glass). Between 8-10 days I then transplant because they will start to get root bound and I only give water during that period (distilled) not tap. When transplanting I treat my cocogro block with distilled water and neem oil to to fluff it out and hopefully kill anything that might be lurking. I let the rehydrated coco sit for 2 days them i put coco into pots. At this point I flush each 3l pot with half gallon of r/o water. With botanicare coco this gives me a really low ppm of 50-60 after flushing. I let the pots sit for 24hrs. then I run a premix of 5ml. per gal. of cns17 coco grow and same for cal.mg. through the pots till I get good runoff. Then just transplant seedlings. I have literally never had healthier plants. Everyone of them takes off within 24-48 hours. One more thing I find that works out really well is bottom feeding seedlings. I just sit my little cups in a bowl of distilled water until I see moisture at the top. Its not the method of bottom feeding where u leave water to sit in catch tray but more of using a bucket and sitting 3l's in there to soak up water. This works very well for me with getting young plants established. I know u cant use this technique with your 2l's but u might want to try with ur seedling and clones. I dont use rooter plugs and such just seedling starter soil and coco when transplant. Not to knock bpn but CNS17 coco has made life easy. Coco specific nutes are the way to go.. Just some food for thought.

That big bud looks great :) and I agree, less light. I really have no clue about seedlings because I always get clones. But my sensi star seedling is doing good under just the one CFL and yes when it's in the window it gets direct sunlight. I'm assuming minimal light is needed during the seedling stage and after its established and moved into veg you can turn up the lights!
Thanks teSmp! That Bigbud is getting hairy faster than the NL now! It's drinking the whole 2L res in the 12 hour light cycle.... I have to add in a little when the lights go out so it won't go totally dry.
OK, so less light until it gets established... but how do I know when that is? 2 more leaf nodes? The other two seedlings with everything else the same but the strain are not burnt at all (liberty haze and kosher kush) but my G13 Hashplant and the Stacked kush are krispy, and at this point I'm not sure will even make it... The stacked kush was a little closer to the lights since it's in a 2 gal pot, so I get why that one is more burnt, but the G13 Hash was the same height as the rest of the seedlings and got fried. Maybe those two are more light sensitive?

Dont nute ur babies so earl SB. I never give my babies anything for the first 10-12 days after breaking coco. I Start them in a seedling soil in 4oz. cups (size of a shot glass). Between 8-10 days I then transplant because they will start to get root bound and I only give water during that period (distilled) not tap. When transplanting I treat my cocogro block with distilled water and neem oil to to fluff it out and hopefully kill anything that might be lurking. I let the rehydrated coco sit for 2 days them i put coco into pots. At this point I flush each 3l pot with half gallon of r/o water. With botanicare coco this gives me a really low ppm of 50-60 after flushing. I let the pots sit for 24hrs. then I run a premix of 5ml. per gal. of cns17 coco grow and same for cal.mg. through the pots till I get good runoff. Then just transplant seedlings. I have literally never had healthier plants. Everyone of them takes off within 24-48 hours. One more thing I find that works out really well is bottom feeding seedlings. I just sit my little cups in a bowl of distilled water until I see moisture at the top. Its not the method of bottom feeding where u leave water to sit in catch tray but more of using a bucket and sitting 3l's in there to soak up water. This works very well for me with getting young plants established. I know u cant use this technique with your 2l's but u might want to try with ur seedling and clones. I dont use rooter plugs and such just seedling starter soil and coco when transplant. Not to knock bpn but CNS17 coco has made life easy. Coco specific nutes are the way to go.. Just some food for thought.

I haven't started nuting yet, unless hygrozyme counts as nutrients. When I burnt them, I meant literally with the lights... Oh wait. I re-used coco from the males I just pulled. I had flushed the coco until the runoff was at 300ppm or so... but they could be getting nute burn from the re-used coco! Damnit!

Have you re-used your coco in subsequent grows? Or just use it for houseplants?
I'm going to soak more right now and transplant. Thanks for the tips! I didn't even consider that I had nute burned them since I wasn't feeding any nutes...

Saved again by the forum! Thanks Tiptiopper and teSmp!

Thanks teSmp! That Bigbud is getting hairy faster than the NL now! It's drinking the whole 2L res in the 12 hour light cycle.... I have to add in a little when the lights go out so it won't go totally dry.
OK, so less light until it gets established... but how do I know when that is? 2 more leaf nodes? The other two seedlings with everything else the same but the strain are not burnt at all (liberty haze and kosher kush) but my G13 Hashplant and the Stacked kush are krispy, and at this point I'm not sure will even make it... The stacked kush was a little closer to the lights since it's in a 2 gal pot, so I get why that one is more burnt, but the G13 Hash was the same height as the rest of the seedlings and got fried. Maybe those two are more light sensitive?

Well you'll know when it moves in to veg, when the plant really starts taking off and growing it's ready for some more light, nutes etc.. During the seedling stage things are usually pretty slow, throws out its first leaves then kind of lags around then the second set and so on. But once it starts taking off then add some more lighting. Hopefully someone else can give you a more specific idea cause like I said I usually use clones. I would expect somewhere around 7-14 days.

Raja Dat. Thanks teSmp.

On another note, the plants are getting pretty hairy on day 12, at least most of them... one of my Bubble gums still hasn't shown sex yet?! WTF? So as it stands, 2/3 Big Buds, 2/2 Northern Lights (one croaked before sexing so maybe 2/3), 2/2 Lowryder and 1/4 of the Bubble Gum females with one BubbleGum pending.. not bad odds!

way cool grow! :) Love the roots on that thing! :love:
You've got a really cool stack of strains.. Did you add the lowryder to have some smoke sooner? :) Thats why I always end up pop'in one of those auto's... Peace out.

way cool grow! :) Love the roots on that thing! :love:
You've got a really cool stack of strains.. Did you add the lowryder to have some smoke sooner? :) Thats why I always end up pop'in one of those auto's... Peace out.

Thanks THsea! Good vibes :) The roots seemed even bigger in person lol, damn camera shrinks it.

The lowryder was suggested by 12/12 when I first started the experiment... he had never tried/seen an auto in one of these 2L DWC-H... it probably won't yield that much because it's been in 12/12 as I don't have my veg cab ready yet... but here's a peek at what it's doing now. Tomorrow I start the diminishing light schedule, dropping by a half hour a week of daylight to pack on some weight.
Day 13 of 12/12

The lowryder from outer space
Lowryder1-2012-05-22_00-29-.jpg

When I first saw people posting pictures of their plants under these purple/red/bue LED lights, I thought..."that's stupid, show me some real stuff under plain sunlight" And then I took a picture under the LED, and I like it :p Not sure what transformative process happens when you take a picture like that, but it's somehow different. lol

Here's the BB2 top, the most hairy one
BB2-hairs2012-05-22_00-39-3.jpg

Here it is again without the LED pushed aside
BB2-2012-05-22_00-26-08_689.jpg

The NL2 is the biggest plant by far, almost covers the whole 14gal tub. It would if I let it. It's main kola is much leafier than the bigbud, whether pheno, stress from falling on the CFL's not sure. Comments? I didn't think Northern Lights had a high leaf to bud ratio... unless it's just going to turn into a monster :)

NL2 Leafy Top
NL2-leafy2012-05-22_00-38-1.jpg

This is one of the side branches, it's bigger than the cola of the lowryders
NL2-side-branch2012-05-22_0.jpg

And a group shot
Group-shot2012-05-22_00-26-.jpg

One more Bubble Gum turned out to be male. So I've got one female, one unknown outside, and 3 males. Hopefully the rest of the seeds are all gals :)

Otherwise, just lots more hairs on more nodes, shocking for day 14 of 12/12.

Also, because it's day 14, I'm starting the diminishing light schedule as detailed by Twelve12's blog here:
The Gas Lantern Routine for Growing Cannabis It also talks about GLR, which has grown the plants more quickly, but was also I belive the cause of the early flowering after switch to 12/12--only four days.

The seedlings are stalling, and the clones are slowly yellowing some leaves, but no roots popping out the riot cubes yet.

Back
Top Bottom