13goody13's PNW Indoor LED vs Outdoor Grow: Tangerine Dream AF & Gorilla Glue AF

Yep, that TD is going to make you wait for it...but the longer she takes,the fatter those buds get!
Those LRx's are looking nice- they both look like girls to me....:rolleyes:(j/k-but fingers crossed for females...)

That science project is an interesting arrangement, actually looks like it should work pretty well!
You might want to black out that reservoir though (ductape or something) - If you're using MC in it,
you'll see algae growing in there soon- that's why I don't mix my MC ahead of time - it takes a few days,but algae just loves MC, and the jug turns green after about 4 days (unless I store it in the dark, which I don't do)
I was going to black it out, but I only used MegaCrop to get it going, it’s turtle pond water in the reservoir. At the next water change and once the roots are a bit more established, a goldfish from the pond is going in there. Hoping it will eat some of the algae and fertilize the plant with some semi-daily feedings. Below the soil is a layer of crushed clamshells to keep the dirt out of the water, and they hold some moisture. No idea how it will go but so far it looks like it’s doing what they do and adapting.

No idea how it will go
It'll be fun to watch, especially with the goldfish in there...I think that might be a "first" for this forum :)

Ok so I’m hoping someone like @Emilya or one of you other fine growers may be able shed some light on this Foxtailing. This is my Tangerine Dream and it is 73 days old. The suggested harvest is 70 days but this definitely didn’t look ready, like it was still bulking up. I’m still feeding 6g mega crop, full dose of sweet candy and terpinator. I’m wondering if this is possibly a build up of N, or maybe related to the recent heat (never got above 85 in the tent) ? The trichomes look almost ready, almost 100% milky with some tiny spots of amber. But the pistils are 80% white, and no yellowing on fan leaves like the last one. Just confused. Should I just harvest?
9FC2C51B-68FC-4FC8-AFE6-E8C9B3F5837D.jpeg
7575E259-4491-462D-B7F6-671C9A03C9A2.jpeg
D7D861ED-B9FC-401D-9B99-292282285F8F.jpeg

she is definitely still in the middle of flower, no question about that. I see signs that you are just now entering the last 2 week period in the white pistils at the top that are just now starting to begin to bend over, even if just so slightly... they are not straight out like they were and now they have a kink. This is how I identify the start of the end phase of bloom and this is where I would flush the soil 3x the size of the container, if it were appropriate to the grow and where I would start giving finishing nutes, again if that were appropriate to the type of grow.

as far as the no yellowing this time... congratulations. You have found the perfect amount of MC to give these very large buds, and she is taking it like a champ. Not all plants can pull this off, but your's obviously are. This is a credit to your root system and the overall strength of that plant and its ability to process all that light and nutrient without a hitch.

absolutely you should not harvest... this plant still has a lot to give you, and as you said, she is just starting to bulk up. Find a picture on the net of a ripe plant of this variety, and study what the pistils do at the end... you are a long ways away from that. Please do not buy into the recent talk about milky trichomes being the bee's knees... wait till your crop is actually ripe before harvesting it.

as far as the extra time... I am betting that you you didn't correctly judge the start of bloom. Many people start the count on the day of the flip to 12/12, and this is a mistake than can easily put you 10-14 days ahead of the plants... sort of like you are right now.

she is definitely still in the middle of flower, no question about that. I see signs that you are just now entering the last 2 week period in the white pistils at the top that are just now starting to begin to bend over, even if just so slightly... they are not straight out like they were and now they have a kink. This is how I identify the start of the end phase of bloom and this is where I would flush the soil 3x the size of the container, if it were appropriate to the grow and where I would start giving finishing nutes, again if that were appropriate to the type of grow.
Sorry I should have mentioned it’s an autoflower with a 70 day total life expectancy, not a 70 day harvest time.
So this was it on the 15th
58844B58-0A30-4EE7-B690-84329834431F.jpeg

. Nearly done. If you look a bit closer at the new pics, the plant is 100% covered in foxtailing. All those white pistils are foxtailing. None of it was there a week ago. It looks almost like the plant is re-vegging but with skinny flowers coming off my huge ones.
203E247C-4054-4825-821A-007F94D4105B.jpeg

oh, that... sorry... forgot that word had you scared. That is not actually what we call foxtailing, this is the natural process that the buds use to build outward. Actual foxtails usually occur in the fringes of the light, where the buds are up against a wall or in a shadow... and the buds get very airy and whispy as they elongate outward. This is not that... these buds are going to be tight and compact. Some varieties simply extend their buds out in this manner, as they would when they are foxtailing, and some of them can actually get quite long. The difference is in whether they are solid or whispy. You are not alone though, because here in the 21st century world of bro science on the internet, yes, all the great gurus are calling this foxtailing... stealing an old word to make themselves sound important and knowledgeable, when in actuality, the opposite is true.
Here is what true foxtailing looks like... and it is not a good thing.

post-31962-1232789439.jpg

Regarding the 70 days... I have seen lots of inconsistency in the auto world when it comes to this. Some of the autos will stall out sometimes, and take a bit longer than expected. The general consensus is that you can't go by what the breeders say, but it is my opinion that autos simply have a mind of their own, and they flower when they want to. Actually what you are looking at here is about the normal time for a lot of hybrid photos to take, if they were put into flower as soon as they were able to go. I don't see anything alarming about this at all, but I do know that I am seeing an immature plant and one that isn't ready to harvest. Don't cheat yourself. Wait for it. Don't trust no one but your own eyeballs, and again, find a picture of a mature bud to use as reference.

Here is what true foxtailing looks like... and it is not a good thing.

post-31962-1232789439.jpg
This is exactly what my plant is doing.
E882C509-F835-448C-B58F-B17D59537BB8.jpeg

there are a hundred of those. Could you tell me why a plant would be doing this and why it’s bad? Thanks for your help.

I believe I figured it out. It’s from heat and light stress causing the buds to create spires. It’s not genetic, it’s looking like heat related. Mine is a textbook example of BAD on the right.
2716BEC7-7CEE-4DF4-8978-7A4739201A5D.jpeg

it could be heat related... how hot is it in there? some varieties just grow like that though, a true foxtail is so light and airey that you couldn't imagine smoking it... yours are just part of the bud and how it grows, resembling a foxtail. What yours are doing is NOT bad... it is good, it is how your buds build.

It’s not overly hot (82-85) but normally it’s runs a lot closer to 72-75, and all this week it’s been hot. A second light (that I added and have not checked with a light meter) is possibly adding to that, as the other plant in there has what looks to be light burn on a few leaves. I guess it makes sense I just wanted to make sure nothing is ruined. I’m backing off the lights a bit and cooling it down. Have some really awesome seedlings right now and I’m glad this problem can get worked out before it ruined anything. Thanks @Emilya, your knowledge is always appreciated.

My plants tend to start doing that close to the end- by that time,they're usually closer
to the lights than they should be, but it is what it is in that box...
They are covered in trichomes, so even though they may be ugly,they smoke just fine.
That plant does look like it's got at least 2 weeks to go-it's still crankin' out the pistils as if it were a youngster...

Well, I can’t say this journal was the success I was hoping for. Out of 4 plants- 1 turned Hermi, 2 “autos” still in veg, and one turned out about as expected. The indoor TD produced 894 grams wet, and it dried/manicured down to 7.45 oz, almost the same as the last plant. I did quadline this one, and gave it supplements in addition to the MC. I also dried it slower and did not flush. The most noticeable difference is the smell, which is MUCH less fruity this time so far. Taste will be really interesting to compare.
All in all I had less than stellar luck with this seed supplier, who is not a sponsor here. @carcass is growing the final ChemDawg seed from this batch, and that particular strain was actually very decent.
The TD, while easy to train, grow & feed, isn’t one I would grow again.
F4E94C08-5471-41C0-B6AE-3FDB46497823.jpeg

My next project is already underway, and will be exploring some much more interesting strains from SeedsMan. Look for it in the next week or so, hope to see you all there. Thanks for stopping by!

Those "autos" have got to flower sooner or later, so they're not lost, just "indefinitely delayed" ;)
@carcass is growing the final ChemDawg seed from this batch
And it's doing great! The little one is the Dr.Seedsman cbd-it's her first day out in the sun...
1594325357388.jpeg

Nice Hindenburg bud!- Is that the main TD cola?

Nice Hindenburg bud!- Is that the main TD cola?

The main cola was a little longer (almost 13") but more patchy looking. That one was the more solid of the bigger buds.

Back
Top Bottom