1st Grow - Ebb-N-Grow : Afghan Kush, White Widow, Bag Seed!

They are 12-14" tall right now, when should I switch over to flower?
Will they really grow that much taller as I switch?

MB.

Kind of depends on how high you can get your light! Lol, but not really.

For Example.
My height measurements when switching to flower.
24" White Widow - Now 6'2" (including bucket)
18" Afghan Kush - Now 5'6"

Each strain is a little different as it relates to how much vertical growth you'll encounter. There is a rule of thumb of how much more your plants will grow after switching to flowering (it escapes me, having another memory lapse), hopefully someone will remember....

I would probably let them go another week to get some more vertical growth before switching over. Shooting for an average height of 18-24"? Especially if you have the ceiling height.

Hopefully McBudz, or others will offer some more insight for you.

Way to go man, they're coming along!
SF

MB.

Kind of depends on how high you can get your light! Lol, but not really.

For Example.
My height measurements when switching to flower.
24" White Widow - Now 6'2" (including bucket)
18" Afghan Kush - Now 5'6"

Each strain is a little different as it relates to how much vertical growth you'll encounter. There is a rule of thumb of how much more your plants will grow after switching to flowering (it escapes me, having another memory lapse), hopefully someone will remember....

I would probably let them go another week to get some more vertical growth before switching over. Shooting for an average height of 18-24"? Especially if you have the ceiling height.

Hopefully McBudz, or others will offer some more insight for you.

Way to go man, they're coming along!
SF

I've heard the plants will add twice their veg height in flower, start at 24" they end up being 72". But I haven't experienced that in my grows, usually about double the height.

i like to flower between 14-18", with my strain, that will make them just short of 3' or so by the end, and light doesn't penetrate a dense canopy that far anyways, so anymore height would not give me any more yield.

also, don't worry about light poisoning them during the dark cycle now because you are in veg. . . it won't make a difference.

however just so you know even 60 seconds in bright light during the dark cycle during flower can cause one or two of your plants to start to hermie, especially if they had any other stress in their lifetimes. and then you'll have a lifetime of seeds. lol. so be careful about it. . . if you want lights out photos do it 10 minutes before lights on, or just after lights off. . . or just kil the light for a minute while you take pics then back on.

gl bro.

looking good stinky.

looking good stinky.

Thanks Bro! Can't wait for a smoke report on your e-n-g run!

Question
So I have a question for everyone, or anyone. So up to this point, all my experience has been dealing in Hydro. I'd really like to grow a couple of mother plants over the summer using Soil, or Soilless mix, or something that is pretty easy for a beginner. Basically I don't even know where to start. It would be nice to use the GH Nutes I have, but I don't mind purchasing other nutes specifically for soil. I just need you guys to help pave the path. I'll do the research, if necessary, but I'm hoping it could be fairly "easy", I'm gentle and I do bruise...ha..ha.

Much Love.
SF

PS. Hope you're not falling for any pranks on April Fool's Day! Although, that plastic wrap on the toilet-bowl is always funny on this day!

Well now I'm questioning my rationale for thinking that soil was the way to go for Mothers. I'm totally "blaming" The Butcher for this streak of conscientious awakening. Coincidentally I saw on his journal today, that he's got an easy DWC system thrown together for keeping Mother's.

The Butcher Pride

I know McBudz saw this, so I'm hoping he'll provide the pro's and con's of keeping Mother's in soil vs. hydro. (wink...wink...hint...hint.)

Thanks Butch!
SF

Soil or Hydro, Soil or Hydro, Soil or Hydro....humm

Gotcha..so which one you thinkin bout doin? Or I should say am going to do?

Well here are a couple of things going through my head.
-What will be easier to maintain, hydro or soil?
-Will the roots in hydro be able to "live" a long time, I've seen soil where the plants live for years?

I guess if I can just keep my experience to Hydro at this point, there really is no reason to mess with soil? I'm not closed minded, I'd like to try soil, but bugs are another reason, which you pointed out, which discourage me as well. But then I hear that bud tastes better when grown in soil, so I was hoping to eventually flower a Mother that was grown in soil, again for the experience.

Ahhh Butch. To be a new grower...so many possibilities...so many choices

Be like a Shrink and tell me what to do.

And I'll lay on the couch here and smoke :ganjamon:

SF

The benifits of soiless outways soil more, but these are for my needs. In prep'n for the outdoor season, I'm going to put my moms through hell fast. I've got 6 new cuts going into buckets to provide at the least 40 cuttings each by mid may or so this is the goal. Hydro will give you cuttings faster then what I got under better lighting conditions. If that's your intent then hydro is the way to go. Unless you don't mind pruning back your mum. That's one benifit of soil the slower growth helps keeep things under control. Which will allow you more time to tend to the rest of the garden. Which is a big plus as well. This may work better for you. But only you can answer that. And g.h nutes work great for soil as well. Fallow the whole starting at a 1/4 strength rule. And you should be cool. I hope these points help you out. Cause I'm really stoned and they looked great typing it..ha yeah right:rofl:

Love the "Be like a Shrink and tell me what to do. And I'll lay on the couch here and smoke" analogy!!! An instant classic!!! :bravo:

Thanks man! :cheesygrinsmiley:

And I just re-read his response again. He totally answered like a Shrink, never telling you what to do, just added more things to think about. I want my money back. Ha..Ha...

:geek:

SF

Quick Update

LowRyder
16 days today.
Definite root growth in three of five plants.
Tops are starting to come around.
Picture below is the strongest plant. What causes the twisting leafs? Light to close, too hot?

I'll grab a couple of more shots tomorrow under florescent light.

E-n-G
Tomorrow is day 35 Flowering (5 Weeks). I'll have some pictures.

MJ_1055_1.jpg

Have a great night.
SF

5 Weeks Flowering Bud Shots

Had to grab pics quickly this morning. Didn't have time to turn out the lights and do all flash shots. I'll do that tonight or tomorrow. Here's a couple bud shots that turned out okay.

MJ_1093_1.jpg

MJ_1092_1.jpg

MJ_1091_1.jpg

MJ_1084_1.jpg

From what I can observe, it looks like the Afghan Kush have stopped putting on weight and the buds are starting to turn Red, while on the other hand, the White Widow is now putting on weight on the buds. I've read that people have let the White Widow go longer than 8 weeks. Time will tell?

Have a great day!
SF

Quick Update

LowRyder
16 days today.
Definite root growth in three of five plants.
Tops are starting to come around.
Picture below is the strongest plant. What causes the twisting leafs? Light to close, too hot?

I'll grab a couple of more shots tomorrow under florescent light.

E-n-G
Tomorrow is day 35 Flowering (5 Weeks). I'll have some pictures.

MJ_1055_1.jpg

Have a great night.
SF

a PH problem will cause the leaves to twist like that. also MG def. can cause that also... any yellow or brown spots on the leaves?

Picture Update

Pics with lights out. Flash. Really impressed with the Afghan Kush, quite a producer so far!

Left Side of Closet - White Widow up Front

MJ_1113_1.jpg

Right Side of Closet - Clone Experiment up Front
MJ_1114_1.jpg

MJ_1115_1.jpg

MJ_1127_1.jpg

Afghan Kush
MJ_1117_1.jpg

And the next set of pics will be all bud shots....

Back
Top Bottom