1st Journal - M39 - Northen Light x Skunk - Soil - CFLs

Re: 1st Journal, M39 (Northen Light x Skunk ) Soil & CFL'S

i know my moms fruit trees alway have the biggest fruits at the top of the tree and the lower branches shaded by a fence panel or the hedge produce very small fruits that dont end up been used, if light was getting to these branches like it does on the other 3 sides of the tree (if a tree had 4 sides,) then these fruits would also be of similar size, so from what ive seen of my moms fruit and veg garden is that the plants and trees getting full sun or a lot of light produce much better and ripen much quicker compared to plants in the shade or trees shaded by bushes or anything else.
the lower fruit does ripen as normal but is not as big as the top of the tree/plant, its why we end up throwing a lot of pop corn buds into the trim boxes,

you can harvest the top of a plant and then put it back into flower so the bottom finishes off, but ive had mixed results with this method, i had an auto i harvested 3 times and produced well each time it went back under the lights, ive had regular strains harvest twice but then ive had some strains that just stop growing all together and do nothing at all. so dont use that method anymore

leaves are factories but if their blocking light then other leaves and growth sites are not getting light, so removing 1 leaf might let 3 leaves get light, id rather have 3 leaves and 2 nodes getting full light compared with 1 leaf thats getting light, so to sacrificce 1 leaf to give 3 leaves light makes sense, plus if you can get light to the nodes below then the growth dont stretch and you get decent sized buds,

i had an auto a while back that had huge fan leaves, the 2 top set of fan leaves had the rest of the plant in the shade, nothing below the top set of leaves was getting light so didnt even have side branches growing off the stem, i pulled the leaves off and within days growth had started and had plenty of new branches growing and branches then caught up with the top of the plant and gave me a nice bushy auto that will now yield well

but it is best to start training plants in veg, if you have not come across bassman's journals and his defol method and guide then its worth finding his journals or i can post a link if needed, he uses the method every time he grows,

its one of them debates that will go on for ever, to defo or not to defo, that is the question.

these plants grow well under most conditions and under lots of different stresses we put them under, topping,fim,lst,hst,scrog, grafting etc etc, they just bounce back and thrive, so go with the method you want to go with and you will find what works best for you, i only defol as i was getting lots of pop corn buds and lower branches and inner branches where stretching to get to the light and then you get tiny buds at the nodes and they end up going to waste, so defol works for me and i dont end up with popcorn buds, any branches i think will produce popcorn buds get cut off and binned or turned into clones, again this method works well for me but might not work well for someone else.

only you can decide what to do, ive had time to try most methods and found what works best for me, its the only way to find out what is going to suit your grow style and grow space, i use lst and defol. but i also reveg plants each grow, top, fim but i do this depending on how the plants growing, if its growing tall to quick then ill top it and slow upwards growth, i try and keep all my plants pretty even so im not resting pots on bits of wood to give an even canopy, so simple training can keep your plants under control and keep everything getting the best light possible.

just have fun growing, experiment when you have got everything else dialed in such as temps, nutes,lights etc etc, then experiment with different methods and see what works well, some growers only use lst and some only use defol, so their is no right or wrong method, they will all produce well and if your happy with the results then thats all that matters,

its also best to experient with strains you have grown before, this gives you a better idea of speed of growth and end results as you can compare from the grow before, the only big affect on yield ive noticed is with reveg plants, ive had around 40% added to the yield when ive harvested my reveg plants, they are harvested at the same height but due to the crazy branch growth you end up with bigger yields, but reveg plants and clones (monster cropped) need a lot of attention and defol is needed, its a must with this method, so is removing crazy numbers of side shoots, i think i ended up binning around 60 cuttings off my last reveg, a couple of bags of leaves as well,

As Jorge says, it really come down to growers choices, BUT THERE IS SO MANY WAYS :lot-o-toke: Next veg session i will play around with them a lot more. Its my first 'by myself' indoor grow, and the difference between outdoor and indoor is pretty huge, but lots of fun. With this strains ive seen everything, topped, lst & scrog, also just leave it as it is, and from my point of view the best has been simply topped & defoliate the bottoms of every plants to give a good light penetration & air movement thru the plants. Mlevernz is still pretty low & slow compare to the rest and i cant wait to see how they end up VS each other. This weekend the plan is : build new & efficient reflectors, defoliate the bottoms of my babys, start a light solution + MiracleGro slow ferts soil (im quite scared to be honest, i dont want to boost up the plant too much as i want to be the most organic possible & i dont want to slow down the growth) & lots of pictures for you folks of before & after, how tall they are.

Gotta love the long weekends :) Have a good budday :420:

Edit: removed post

...cheers 420 people:thumb:

Too late.
I already read it. Did you realize the part where DP said the fence blocked the light and change your mind? I thought you had some very interesting facts and as a 3rd generation arborist I think your data is valid sir. :)

Too late.
I already read it. Did you realize the part where DP said the fence blocked the light and change your mind? I thought you had some very interesting facts and as a 3rd generation arborist I think your data is valid sir. :)

Your a quick Spimp...LOL...Now i have to explain

No I didn't change my mind about what i said at all...I just was worried I might sound argumentative over the tree example and that was not my intention at all

My point was that trees are different than Ganga...if removal of leaves to increase light to the lower branches would increase over all fruit production orchards would thin their Apple trees ....they do almost the exact opposite...younger water sprouts are removed and branches are reduced to minimize the chance mechanical injury (from snow, ice, wind, heavy branch ends from lots of Apple's). Trees are woody plants that require enough leaf area to make food for the stem otherwise the tree will compartmentalize that branch and shut it down. IMO ganja is different requiring different methods for increased flower production than an Apple tree. I mentioned that the smaller fruit on the lower branches of the Apple tree used as a example was most likely caused by a fungal disease (Apple scab, cedar Apple rust) these disorders like cool wet shaded locations (lower part of the tree). I also said something shading the lower portion of the tree (the fence) would have an effect on the fruit production of those branches... but leaf removal of the upper branches would only reduce the production of the upper branches. The leaves of Apple trees produce the food to create the fruit if the fruit needed more sunlight they would grow on the tops of the branches not hang down below the leaves

I just didn't agree with the Apple tree being used as an example...because it was not a good example for the topic being discussed

I removed my post because I thought about it and my point wasn't important enough to come across as argumentative..last thing I wanted to do...

But thanks Spimp:)...you just made me write all that stuff again LOL

You made yourself, by removing good information. I just reminded you to trust yourself. :)

I think all types of 'harvest' data, from fruit trees to peppers can help us narrow the range of optimal growing. There is 100's ofyears of data in other areas of growing, but our hobby is lacking in just this sort of data. If it makes you feel better, next time say "Im not sure how this applies to mJ, but...". Then aurgue away. :thumb:

You made yourself, by removing good information. I just reminded you to trust yourself. :)

I think all types of 'harvest' data, from fruit trees to peppers can help us narrow the range of optimal growing. There is 100's ofyears of data in other areas of growing, but our hobby is lacking in just this sort of data. If it makes you feel better, next time say "Im not sure how this applies to mJ, but...". Then aurgue away. :thumb:

Will do Spimp...thanks

blah blah blah... The leaves of Apple trees produce the food to create the fruit.

If the fruit needed more sunlight they would grow on the tops of the branches not hang down below the leaves

I love this! A plant is a plant and the logic does apply to cannabis.

Leafs Grow Buds. they also shade the buds.

They are supposed to.

Buds protect their wannabe seeds from UV light with trichomes.

The logic is:

More light on the buds, more trichomes.

The thing is, if the bud does not have enough energy to grow,

then you have small, trichome-encrusted buds.

Remember that Bassman always leaves the leaf, if there is a bud attached.

Through the energy generated in the leaves, the bud grows bigger.

Defoliation, done right still leaves the plant enough energy to grow buds,

but you have to know the plant you're growing first, to be able to do it right.

And there is a huge difference in available energy from a 600 Watt HPS compared to any viable amount of Cfls.

Defoliation may work under the high intensity power of HPS,

but I think it is a waste of time and bud under the diffused light of Cfls.

I love this! A plant is a plant and the logic does apply to cannabis.

Leafs Grow Buds. they also shade the buds.

They are supposed to.

Buds protect their wannabe seeds from UV light with trichomes.

The logic is:

More light on the buds, more trichomes.

The thing is, if the bud does not have enough energy to grow,

then you have small, trichome-encrusted buds.

Remember that Bassman always leaves the leaf, if there is a bud attached.

Through the energy generated in the leaves, the bud grows bigger.

Defoliation, done right still leaves the plant enough energy to grow buds,

but you have to know the plant you're growing first, to be able to do it right.

And there is a huge difference in available energy from a 600 Watt HPS compared to any viable amount of Cfls.

Defoliation may work under the high intensity power of HPS,

but I think it is a waste of time and bud under the diffused light of Cfls.

I agree 100%...I love bassmans work...I also defoliate

My point was simply that pruning an Apple tree for fruit production is different than pruning an annual for flower production to achieve the results we want...because it is

All this love just for me :)

Jay jay jay, comparing apple with oranges does not work :)

I like what you said Rico about diffused light of CFL's and defoliate. I am going to do it this saturday and will update with pictures right away for you guys :)

:tokin::peacetwo:

All this love just for me :)

Jay jay jay, comparing apple with oranges does not work :)

I like what you said Rico about diffused light of CFL's and defoliate. I am going to do it this saturday and will update with pictures right away for you guys :)

:tokin::peacetwo:

Spimp started it :grinjoint:

How's them NLxskunk doin lavernz

This is a picture of me when I paint my face yellow

:tokin:

Spimp started it :grinjoint:

How's them NLxskunk doin lavernz

This is a picture of me when I paint my face yellow

:tokin:

Hahahaha your not the only one looking like after a long day of work :)

Their doing great, just watered Rj-11 & Roxy Haze, they were totally dry :cheer:

Few pics for you guys with all the love you gave me today :)

Day 19/ Flowering

RJ-11
IMG_155511.JPG

MLevernz
IMG_155814.JPG

Baby
IMG_155611.JPG

The tower in the back Roxy Haze (She has a freaking haze build with Indica leaves LOL)
IMG_155714.JPG

BUDS TEASER

ROXY
IMG_155410.JPG

RJ-11
IMG_155119.JPG
IMG_155911.JPG

One of baby stem got hit by a fan blade :roorrip:
IMG_156012.JPG

She should live... right ? :rollingeyes:

guys bad news i think we have freaking spider mites HELP PLZ ASAP

I like to use a few drops of dish detergent diluted in about one liter of water...I was a licensed pesticide applicator for many years I like the diluted dish soap because it provides the same results as toxic chemicals with less of the toxic part...make sure what ever you use to control the mites you get full coverage on the underside of the leaves..the mites are mostly on the underside...the feeding injury shows on the top

Horicultural oil works good too for another safe method of control...but you need full coverage or they will repopulate quickly...avoid dormant oil it will block the leaves ability to photosinthisize

There are many other methods of control...I'm sure you will get many opinions...choose what works best for you

Not to sure if its that, i saw 2 or 3 small bugs not really dark and i spotted them from small little whites spots on TOP fan leaves... i just checked all the bottoms leaves on every plants and they look okay to me.

we can't tell without a pic...if you have time post one

Really hard to tell in that pic, kinda blurry, could be aphids as well, I've never used dish detergent, just chemicals. I wouldn't use oil if I were you, since they're in flower, I've heard neem oil is some nasty shit when smoked.

Do you have any feeding injury on the top of the leaves? If it was spider mites it would look like many very small whitish/yellow pin pricks. The insects themselves are very small only usually noticeable in large numbers...the feeding injury is usually noticed first...spider mites are pearcing and sucking insects meaning they pearce into the leaf (usually the underside) and feed by sucking out the chlorophyll

Any pics of the insects you saw...May be something else...can't tell from the pic

Really hard to tell in that pic, kinda blurry, could be aphids as well, I've never used dish detergent, just chemicals. I wouldn't use oil if I were you, since they're in flower, I've heard neem oil is some nasty shit when smoked.

I.agree ...but don't use chems...neem oil and horticultural oil are different...horticultural oil is simply a very fine grade oil that suffocates the insect but still allows the plant to photosynthise

Back
Top Bottom