1st Journal - M39 - Northen Light x Skunk - Soil - CFLs

Re: 1st Journal, M39 (Northen Light x Skunk ) Soil & CFL'S

you might consider defoliating at day 21-25 when the stretch phase has ended and then again at day 45 if needed. to defoliate i would remove most of the lower growth that will not get any light and any fan leaves that are shading bud sites.

Thank you sir KJC:blunt::blunt:

looking good,

follow king's advice and you wont go far wrong, anything not getting light is just making the plant waste energy on it, so either turn them into clones or bin them, the plant will then focus its energy on the main buds.

currently im using one of our sponsors products, dogget simpson nutrients, im pretty impressed with the results and id easily say on par with what i was using before if not slightly better but its a bit early to tell, but so far everything seems to be going really well with the sponsors product,

they also sell a sample pack thats good for 2 plants i think from seed to harvest, but double check if you do order, id say its worth the money and seems to be working very well, all though we do have other sponsors that also sell nutrients that also may work just as well, just cant comment on them as ive not tried them

the dogget simpson product comes in 3 bags,
bag 1 you mix a small amount into the compost before planting the seeds or clones, i know with compost we can easily go a few weeks into veg before adding nutrients so not tried bag 1 until i plant some new seeds, but when i do ill plant the same strain in 4 pots and 2 with the bag 1 added and 2 without then see how they compare, but bag 1 is not needed as compost will keep plants going through the veg stage, but if it gives them a boost then ill continue to use it, so ill see how that goes when i plant my seeds,

bag 2 you use just for veg, you mix a table spoon of powder to a gallon of water, so no mixing involved and you just use bag 2 for the whole of veg at the same dose, im using full strength and could possibly pust it more but ill finish the grow im doing now on it and then the next grow and after that ill see how it has worked before then i can adjust and push it to a higher dose if everything is ok.

bag 3 again is a powder nutrient and is to be used for flowering, this is the bag ive used the most but now using bag 2 more often as the clones are in big pots now, but bag 3 is the same 1 table spoon per gallon of water and keep doing that until you flush or stop using nutrients 2 to 3 weeks before harvest, ive used it for both my soil plants and dwc and again no problems and full dose and can possibly be pushed more but again wont do this until ive done a run from seed to harvest, but so far results i have to say are very good and to be honest i wasnt really expecting it to be this good, i thought it sounds to simple to be as affective as this as before i was mixing up 4 bottles of nutrients with each feed, so i was a bit unsure of how well it would work, but so far im pretty impressed but only been using it a couple of weeks,

also unsure on how often to use it but been using it every time i water and not getting any signs of nute burn or any other issues as of yet, but ill be going 2 feeds, then plain water, then 2 feeds again as im sure i can back it off a little as the plant look ok and a nice shade of green, so might even be able to go every other feed with the nutes, i just need to do more testing with it until im happy with how its working then i can comment more on the dose and how often i need to use it, obviously with dwc you need to use it with every feed but soil ill need to work out what works best,

but so far so good,
hydro shops would sell everything you need as well so you do have a few options open to you,

Im thinking of getting the bag no3 of Doggets, still on hold tho as i can get hands on free left over nutes of my buddy growin session.

I will post pics updates tonight since im already at day 18 of flowering :O It goes so fast lol.

I was asking myself if its too late for me to install a scrog system in my grow room, it is like LST and i should of done it during the veg stage ? I am asking since i feel that my stems are a bit small & still stretching.

If not i was thinking about a Pogo plant (at least, thats what i call them lol), which is 1 bud plant from the main stem... if i cut the lower entire lower parts of my Roxy Haze and leave 2 stem + the main stem, will they shoot their energie direct to the buds or they will regrowth other stems ?

:peacetwo:

Good evening :420:

Im still letting them dry up for a few days to blow them up after i water them. At day 21 i will defoliate all the bottoms of every plants, might cut a few lower stems that most likely wont produce much, then go up towards the fan leafs blocking the lights from the lower ones.

Day 17 of flowering :)

IMG_154513.JPG

Sorry for the sloppy pics, iphone's sometimes.....

baby
IMG_154612.JPG

rj-11
IMG_155119.JPG
IMG_154813.JPG

Mlevernz
IMG_154918.JPG

Roxy haze
IMG_154713.JPG

Lot of strech from the roxy haze :(

Hi Levernz :ciao:

I would add more strategically placed lights and tuck leaves down,

ensuring that they have adequate ventilation, rather than defoliate.

There are situations where defoliation is appropriate...

Leaf on Leaf, getting all sweaty with each other, for example, is just not sexy.

but I don't think this is the case here.

You have Flowering plants that have never been defoliated before.

Defoliation during vegetative growth is OK, because the plant will grow more leaves.

All you would be doing now would be letting more diffused light get to your buds,

which would remain small.

You would be forcing the plant to make more leaves to provide enough energy,

instead of using the energy from the leaves to make more buds.

Plants need leafs.

Buds may look pretty and get all the resin,

but they don't photosynthesise as well as leaves do.

When plants photosynthesise,

they make energy to grow bigger.

Now they are stretching.

When they stop stretching,

they will make more flowers and the buds will grow bigger.

But only if they have enough leaves to grow the buds with.

Let me put it this way...

:cough:

(Cue light strumming, and horn section...)

If you de-leaf them now, you'll take away the biggest part of them...
Ohh-ohh-oh Lev-er-nz don't defoil....
If you de-leaf them now, you'll take away the very heart of them...
Ohh-ohh-oh Le-ver-nz don't defoil....
Ohh-ohh-oh-ohh-oh, She just wants them to stay....
A plant like ours, this Ganja's hard to find,
how could we take her leaves away?
We've come too far to "leaf" it all behind...
How could we hurt our yield this way?
When the harvest comes and we'll both regret
The leaves we plucked today...
etc...

I'm not saying don't pinch off a leaf here and there if it is really getting in the way.

Take the lower leaves if you feel like it, just don't go the whole hog.

I just don't think it's worth the risk for you. This is it, now. They are flowering.

Defoliate, scrog and LST on the next grow in veg time, while they are still young.

They are your plants, I can only give you my opinion :thumb:

How can i do it after a beautiful song from you Ric ? :) Alright you got me i will just do the bottom leaves :) very informative as always i will use your knowledge on my next veg session. Duck tape will do the trick for the big leaves that i want to move.

In other words, i will plan better next time :) ahh first timers huh..... :thanks:

Good day yall !

I think its important on the first grow to just let your plants grow and see what they look like as they develop.

There are enough learning moments along the way to keep it from being boring :)

You can experiment with all the techniques you want after that,

but at least you will have a reference, to judge their effectiveness in your grow-space.

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
Schlemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.
We're gonna do it!
Give us any chance, we'll take it.
Give us any rule, we'll break it.
We're gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin' it our way.
Nothin's gonna turn us back now,
Straight ahead and on the track now.
We're gonna make our dreams come true,
Doin' it our way.
There is nothing we won't try,
Never heard the word impossible.
This time there's no stopping us.
We're gonna do it.
On your mark, get set, and go now,
Got a dream and we just know now,
We're gonna make our dream come true.
And we'll do it our way, yes our way.
Make all our dreams come true,
And do it our way, yes our way,
Make all our dreams come true
For me and you.

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
Schlemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.
We're gonna do it!
Give us any chance, we'll take it.
Give us any rule, we'll break it.
We're gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin' it our way.
Nothin's gonna turn us back now,
Straight ahead and on the track now.
We're gonna make our dreams come true,
Doin' it our way.
There is nothing we won't try,
Never heard the word impossible.
This time there's no stopping us.
We're gonna do it.
On your mark, get set, and go now,
Got a dream and we just know now,
We're gonna make our dream come true.
And we'll do it our way, yes our way.
Make all our dreams come true,
And do it our way, yes our way,
Make all our dreams come true
For me and you.
That's Laverne's Theme song!

Im thinking of getting the bag no3 of Doggets, still on hold tho as i can get hands on free left over nutes of my buddy growin session.

I will post pics updates tonight since im already at day 18 of flowering :O It goes so fast lol.

I was asking myself if its too late for me to install a scrog system in my grow room, it is like LST and i should of done it during the veg stage ? I am asking since i feel that my stems are a bit small & still stretching.

If not i was thinking about a Pogo plant (at least, thats what i call them lol), which is 1 bud plant from the main stem... if i cut the lower entire lower parts of my Roxy Haze and leave 2 stem + the main stem, will they shoot their energie direct to the buds or they will regrowth other stems ?

:peacetwo:

adding a screen would only support the buds at this point and add more complexity to your grow. where growth is directed when defoliated is a controversial subject. for your first grow i suggest you grow your plant with only removing lower growth and any leaves that shade bud sites.

i defoliate all the time, just removed loads of leaves today. but my plants are bushy and light is been restricted to lower buds on the branches, if i didnt remove the leaves then these lower bud sites would just be popcorn buds and end up in my trim box, so i remove the leaves, pull off any small shoots on the lower and inner branches, this then lets the plant focus its energy on the main buds and not on the silly little whispy things that are not getting much light,

but my plants get defoliated in veg, if lights getting blocked then the leaf has to go, within days i notice new growth at the nodes now getting light so leaf removed encourages new growth, but i start in early veg so my plants are used to it, plus outdoors plants lose leaves all the time, bugs eat them, animals eat them, so plants do lose leaves, but if its your first grow get used to growing first, if you remove leaves then over water or have nute issues then you got major problems and will badly affect yield.

if you wanted to add a scrog then you need to really do this in early veg adding a scrog now wont help much, the only thing id do is use some string or pipe cleaners and poke holes around the edges of the pot then open the plant up that way, gently pull the branches down to make the plant open up so its getting full light, doing this means you dont need to defoliate, if the plants getting light then it will produce more,

i dont normally defoliate autos, im against it to be honest and always say its not worth doing, but this time round ive had no choice but to defoliate, my own autos strain got so big and so bushy that i had no choice, only the tops of branches was getting light and lower branches where starting to stretch to get to the light, so removed leaves to stop it happening and said i wont do it again, then 2 weeks later i ended up taking another load of leaves.

so defoliation works, but it can also work against you, if your grow set up has issues or you get a problem after you defoliate then its hard for the plant to recover, it can put your grow back by a few weeks, if everything is ok then it may put you back a day or 2 but the new growth is worth the defoliation, i defol all my plants to some extent, i dont do a heavy defol like bassman does but i have tried it and it does work and works well, but all i do now is make sure my plants are getting as much light as possible, so i either use lst or defol any leaves directly blocking light, but its best to start in veg so the new growth has got time to grow.

the dogget simpson bag 3 seems to be doing ok, my plants are growing well and they was started on bag 3 so not used bag 1 and 2 on the plants i got in flower now, ill run my next grow with the whole nutrient package but im very happy with the results from bag 3,

Hi Levernz :ciao:

I would add more strategically placed lights and tuck leaves down,

ensuring that they have adequate ventilation, rather than defoliate.

There are situations where defoliation is appropriate...

Leaf on Leaf, getting all sweaty with each other, for example, is just not sexy.

but I don't think this is the case here.

You have Flowering plants that have never been defoliated before.

Defoliation during vegetative growth is OK, because the plant will grow more leaves.

All you would be doing now would be letting more diffused light get to your buds,

which would remain small.

You would be forcing the plant to make more leaves to provide enough energy,

instead of using the energy from the leaves to make more buds.

Plants need leafs.

Buds may look pretty and get all the resin,

but they don't photosynthesise as well as leaves do.

When plants photosynthesise,

they make energy to grow bigger.

Now they are stretching.

When they stop stretching,

they will make more flowers and the buds will grow bigger.

But only if they have enough leaves to grow the buds with.

Let me put it this way...

:cough:

(Cue light strumming, and horn section...)

If you de-leaf them now, you'll take away the biggest part of them...
Ohh-ohh-oh Lev-er-nz don't defoil....
If you de-leaf them now, you'll take away the very heart of them...
Ohh-ohh-oh Le-ver-nz don't defoil....
Ohh-ohh-oh-ohh-oh, She just wants them to stay....
A plant like ours, this Ganja's hard to find,
how could we take her leaves away?
We've come too far to "leaf" it all behind...
How could we hurt our yield this way?
When the harvest comes and we'll both regret
The leaves we plucked today...
etc...

I'm not saying don't pinch off a leaf here and there if it is really getting in the way.

Take the lower leaves if you feel like it, just don't go the whole hog.

I just don't think it's worth the risk for you. This is it, now. They are flowering.

Defoliate, scrog and LST on the next grow in veg time, while they are still young.

They are your plants, I can only give you my opinion :thumb:

Well said Rico...the fan.leaves.are the factories for food production

...I think your tone deaf :)

Hi Lavernz...I am also growing a NL x Skunk....your plants look great...nice job

i know my moms fruit trees alway have the biggest fruits at the top of the tree and the lower branches shaded by a fence panel or the hedge produce very small fruits that dont end up been used, if light was getting to these branches like it does on the other 3 sides of the tree (if a tree had 4 sides,) then these fruits would also be of similar size, so from what ive seen of my moms fruit and veg garden is that the plants and trees getting full sun or a lot of light produce much better and ripen much quicker compared to plants in the shade or trees shaded by bushes or anything else.
the lower fruit does ripen as normal but is not as big as the top of the tree/plant, its why we end up throwing a lot of pop corn buds into the trim boxes,

you can harvest the top of a plant and then put it back into flower so the bottom finishes off, but ive had mixed results with this method, i had an auto i harvested 3 times and produced well each time it went back under the lights, ive had regular strains harvest twice but then ive had some strains that just stop growing all together and do nothing at all. so dont use that method anymore

leaves are factories but if their blocking light then other leaves and growth sites are not getting light, so removing 1 leaf might let 3 leaves get light, id rather have 3 leaves and 2 nodes getting full light compared with 1 leaf thats getting light, so to sacrificce 1 leaf to give 3 leaves light makes sense, plus if you can get light to the nodes below then the growth dont stretch and you get decent sized buds,

i had an auto a while back that had huge fan leaves, the 2 top set of fan leaves had the rest of the plant in the shade, nothing below the top set of leaves was getting light so didnt even have side branches growing off the stem, i pulled the leaves off and within days growth had started and had plenty of new branches growing and branches then caught up with the top of the plant and gave me a nice bushy auto that will now yield well

but it is best to start training plants in veg, if you have not come across bassman's journals and his defol method and guide then its worth finding his journals or i can post a link if needed, he uses the method every time he grows,

its one of them debates that will go on for ever, to defo or not to defo, that is the question.

these plants grow well under most conditions and under lots of different stresses we put them under, topping,fim,lst,hst,scrog, grafting etc etc, they just bounce back and thrive, so go with the method you want to go with and you will find what works best for you, i only defol as i was getting lots of pop corn buds and lower branches and inner branches where stretching to get to the light and then you get tiny buds at the nodes and they end up going to waste, so defol works for me and i dont end up with popcorn buds, any branches i think will produce popcorn buds get cut off and binned or turned into clones, again this method works well for me but might not work well for someone else.

only you can decide what to do, ive had time to try most methods and found what works best for me, its the only way to find out what is going to suit your grow style and grow space, i use lst and defol. but i also reveg plants each grow, top, fim but i do this depending on how the plants growing, if its growing tall to quick then ill top it and slow upwards growth, i try and keep all my plants pretty even so im not resting pots on bits of wood to give an even canopy, so simple training can keep your plants under control and keep everything getting the best light possible.

just have fun growing, experiment when you have got everything else dialed in such as temps, nutes,lights etc etc, then experiment with different methods and see what works well, some growers only use lst and some only use defol, so their is no right or wrong method, they will all produce well and if your happy with the results then thats all that matters,

its also best to experient with strains you have grown before, this gives you a better idea of speed of growth and end results as you can compare from the grow before, the only big affect on yield ive noticed is with reveg plants, ive had around 40% added to the yield when ive harvested my reveg plants, they are harvested at the same height but due to the crazy branch growth you end up with bigger yields, but reveg plants and clones (monster cropped) need a lot of attention and defol is needed, its a must with this method, so is removing crazy numbers of side shoots, i think i ended up binning around 60 cuttings off my last reveg, a couple of bags of leaves as well,

Well said Rico..
...I think you're tone deaf :)

I didn't "say" it ...:scratchinghead:

I "Sang" it :eyebrowsmile: (The text is a clickable, guideline compliant Link) (God Bless Fish Cake)

Well said Rico...the fan.leaves.are the factories for food production

...I think your tone deaf :)

Hi Lavernz...I am also growing a NL x Skunk....your plants look great...nice job

Sup Jay, thanks for dropping by !!! Ill check out your journal after work !

Back
Top Bottom