1st Time Grow Jack Diesel Sativa Indoor CCOB w LST Hydro

cherryhaze

This is my first grow and I am taking the grow journal posts I have made on Roll it Up and bringing them here. Hope this is OK!

This is a Jack Diesel Sativa, grown from seed and in a Wilma Big 4 Dripper system, hydro, 4 plants, in pebbles.
I am using Hesi Hydro Grow Schedule and products, I feed 6 x a day for 15 mins under a 400W Sodium Lamp.

So far been in Veg for 62days, plan on another 7 or so - until they are about 35cm tall from the top of the pot, due to space constraints. I have a 1mx1mx1.80m tent w a big fan and carbon filter. I don't know the details on them with out looking.
I use a small fan to keep the air cool when light is on and to strengthen the stalks w movement. The Res is 50ltrs and the pots are massive for a large root base.
I keep the PH at around 5.7 to 5.9 (5.8 is Positronics' recommended level for veg, then 6 for bloom) and the EC around 1.2 at the moment.
The plants have built VERY slowly up to full strength nutes and showing no problems. I hope they stay like that!
Because they are a sativa dom strain I used the LST method using floristry wire to manipulate the plants to grow around the edge of the pots until the whole surface area was covered using a version of the crop circle of bud method, giving me multiple bud sites and controlling the height of the plants. My light is about 12"from the plants but moves about daily.
The CCOB done with pretty aggressive LST (IMO which is zero) has created an almost even canopy but one of the ladies is refusing to grow evenly ;)

That's it I think - I feed every few days depending on evaporation and refill, and dump water every 10 days. I have scrubbed the whole system out once.

Here are some pictures from day one to today :D

Germination, week one, week two, week 4 week 8 roughly

I am always looking to learn from people about growing
photo_13_60.JPG
photo_22_19.JPG
photo_17_13.JPG
photo_26_4.JPG
IMG_40572.jpg
IMG_154310.jpg
IMG_154114.jpg
IMG_153913.jpg

Wow they have grown to 30cm today, that's 7 cm in 2 days ?!? Not long to flip the switch now. Going to wait another 7 cm to try and give some more bulk and then let the ladies flower. I am also going to tape my air duct back into the tent to recycle air, and so I don't have a pipe blowing out the window. I have read up on the theory and it makes sense to do that. Also means I can smell a leak in the carbon filter more quickly. I will post pics of the day we flip the switch... SO EXCITED.

After a bit more study and deliberation w my OH we are going to flip the switch. They are also having a flush for the next 18 hours in darkness, then onto 12/12.
Here are a bunch of shots of the 4 plants plus a shot to show the height - 30cm from top of pot.
Am only doing 18 hours of darkness to make less stress on the plants and from fear of too much stretching.
I meant in my previous post that I'd send the air into the room rather than out the window, I did not mean tent :S Doh.
There was a small amount of nute burn today, hence the flush, then I will start the flower nutes.
IMG_177811.JPG
IMG_177912.JPG
IMG_178012.JPG
IMG_178315.JPG
IMG_178114.jpg
IMG_179115.JPG
IMG_179211.JPG
IMG_179313.JPG
IMG_177712.JPG

Damn, they're looking nice and bushy. Going to grow into something big and beautiful! How are you planning on training them, what configuration?

So far I have done an LST CCOB, I think I have f***ed up by not making a support structure for the canopy but it's really a bit late, so I am planning on going with the flow and training as I go along, same way I have until now. They are on their first day of 12/12 and coming to the end of a 24 hour flush (hydro, they get 6 15 min feeds a day) and they are looking happier for the flush. I will add 3rd strength flower nutes tonight and build up to stronger as I go along or if they show deficiency. I don't want to flush much more as the PH is going mental with such a low EC! rose to 7.1 from 6.0 over night! JD do NOT like that.

RE training configuration I really don't have a clue! What do you mean, give me some options to research ;)

Ouch, that PH rise does not sound good. Hope you get it balanced, but I'm sure you will!

Well, I did some research and found out COG means Circle of Green. What's the other C stand for? And if it is circle of green you're going for, that itself would be a training config ;)
Otherwise, I cannot help you there pal, as I've never grown hydro before. And the only other training technique I know of at this stage in veg, is my own panic bend :p

Ouch, that PH rise does not sound good. Hope you get it balanced, but I'm sure you will!

Well, I did some research and found out COG means Circle of Green. What's the other C stand for? And if it is circle of green you're going for, that itself would be a training config ;)
Otherwise, I cannot help you there pal, as I've never grown hydro before. And the only other training technique I know of at this stage in veg, is my own panic bend :p

:D made you google. Yes, it means crop circle of bud done with low stress training. I am not taking clones this time as I don't have the set up yet so I am just trying to get the most I can from this grow. I thought I shd put a canopy support in as you would for scrog but I never got round to it and now I think it is too late. I am sad not to take a clone and make a mama, but my man wants to see the power bill before I put in a clone station. He is as always the voice of reason to my joyful enthusiasm. No doubt it'll be a nasty shock.
Next grow I really want to get some Argan Strawberry Haze and some Himalayan Gold. Can't find the gold seeds yet though. Then I saw on here someone growing strawberry sour diesel, bet that's amazing :D
FYI Mine were almost panic bends ;) I went for hydro as I thought I would have more control and I have had bad experience of bugs in pots though not growing weed. I have to say so far, I love hydro, but when I started NOTHING made sense, but it feels good to be understanding it as I go along. So many stoned moments of... OMG WTF I so don't get it. Still, this is the best hobby...

Just dropped by and caught up, your little ladies are lookin' beautiful Cherryhaze, safe to say I'm subscribing :)

I've seen and learned a lot about LST, scroging etc here at 420 over the past couple of days and you're the one that finally swung it for me, I think my next little hatchlings are going to undergo a whole lot of experimentation when they're old enough :D

I hope the Mr doesn't 'wee on your bonfire' for lack of a better term and that you can get your little clone station, it's both a blessing and a curse having a voice of reason, still not too sure which side my Mr is on haha

Just dropped by and caught up, your little ladies are lookin' beautiful Cherryhaze, safe to say I'm subscribing :)

I've seen and learned a lot about LST, scroging etc here at 420 over the past couple of days and you're the one that finally swung it for me, I think my next little hatchlings are going to undergo a whole lot of experimentation when they're old enough :D

I hope the Mr doesn't 'wee on your bonfire' for lack of a better term and that you can get your little clone station, it's both a blessing and a curse having a voice of reason, still not too sure which side my Mr is on haha

HAHA no he could never piss on my bonfire ;) he is too much of a dude for that, and I need him to keep me from going off on crazy tangents, I rely on that. I keep looking at one of the plants called 'front left' and thinking how sturdy it is and how awesome it would be to clone her but it's too late now. Next time. I would like to eventually have 4 mothers all of different strains and never flowering at the same time, as they hydro set up can't cater for different sensibilities. I also want to grow a indica for my man, I can't smoke them, my reaction is weird to body lock...

HAHA no he could never piss on my bonfire ;) he is too much of a dude for that, and I need him to keep me from going off on crazy tangents, I rely on that. I keep looking at one of the plants called 'front left' and thinking how sturdy it is and how awesome it would be to clone her but it's too late now. Next time. I would like to eventually have 4 mothers all of different strains and never flowering at the same time, as they hydro set up can't cater for different sensibilities. I also want to grow a indica for my man, I can't smoke them, my reaction is weird to body lock... FYI I am a semi professional baker :D awesome. (I read your page. That wasn't random)

Hah, it's good to know he keeps you from going off on crazy tangents, seems like you've found a nice balance :). Depending on if it interests him (like our little grow does) it seems like the sky is the limit for my Mr and as much as I'd like to join him, sometimes I have to be the voice of reason and bring him back down to earth again :(.

It's a shame that it's too late for you to clone 'front left' but at least you've all the info that you need at your disposal to do it next time!

Well hello there fellow semi-professional baker! Self taught too I presume? Apart from growing (recent additon), baking from scratch is the only thing that gives me a big ass helping of self-satisfaction :D. I'll be sure to post pictures of goodies to my thread when baked, there'll be a lot of munch created in preperation once my baby girl Big Mama is ready for smoking :D

Second batch of nutes given, and they are loving the 12/12 and the new nutes. Flower sites appearing everywhere. It's SO exciting. They are at 6.0 ph and 1.3 EC atm, which I will slowly ease up to the full amount through the bloom cycle. I will take some pics tonight once my very curious little boy is in bed! They are on half strength Hesi hydro bloom schedule, and the res is being topped up pretty much daily. It's day 3 of 12/12 so I am very happy with the progress. There are signs of def or tox, but that arrived at the end of a bit too much grow nutes, which was followed by a 24 hr flush, and the new leaves are showing no signs of issues, and the older leaves seem to be balancing out a bit. If it continues I will post pics. Happy Days :D

Hi Cherryhaze! Looking for those pics.:popcorn: Your plants are so pretty I cant wait to see them with buds.:cheer::peace:

Pics of day 3 into 12/12. PH 6.1 EC 1.3 and will be reduced in the morning when 5-7 ltrs of water get added to the res. I can see lots of bud sites and flower sites I just hope they still get big and fat after all the LST training. They are also very bushy so hoping everything is getting enough light. Plan to keep the tiny bits of bud and flower to go along with some good leaves and make some solid :D
IMG_182313.JPG
IMG_181819.JPG
IMG_181216.JPG
IMG_180718.jpg
IMG_18089.jpg
IMG_181013.JPG
IMG_180613.JPG
IMG_180511.JPG
IMG_180410.JPG
IMG_180215.JPG
IMG_180110.JPG
IMG_180013.JPG