1st time grower

I just recovered the window in there...small, very small area at the top. Also..I never noticed the red light from the on/off button on the power strip...right next to the plant. Thats covered now too. Im also going to make a flap thing for the bottom of the door...just in case. As of today, not a spec of light will get in there

Good work Jamesnns and yes flowers will form on your teenager, they will start out on the very top of the plant, you will be seeing them begin as round bundles of hairs eventually developing buds where the bundles of hairs were. Glad to know that you sealed up the light leaks.

:goodjob: :thumb:

I hope you guys dont mind if i interrupt my own thread but I have a couple of questions about my next grow. Im preparing to get/buy some new stuff.
I now have some CKS WW Autos and I was planning on getting FFOF and perlite. But reading some Im hearing that FFOF may be too hot for Autos. I read to flush the soil several times prior to using with autos.
True? Not true?
I also read that FOF can sometime come with pests already in the bag and that some pasteurize the soil by baking it at 160 for 30 min to kill off and pests in the bag. ( Im kinda thinking baking the soil would also kill of the micro good stuff in there)
Is any of this true or am i reading way too much way too soon?

FFOF is one of the best commercial soils out there. It has good organics in it, and over time, if allowed to sit in storage, it will attract bugs. If you buy it fresh, you should never have that problem... the factory that produces the stuff does not add bugs into their mix.

Then let's consider autos. These are supercharged superplants, genetically inclined to grow at breakneck speed, even ignoring light cycles... just growing as fast as they can. Does it not make sense that the better the soil you put them in, the better they will do?

Some people have problems with their grows. They are quick to blame anything other than themselves for their problems. A common recipient of angst is the soil and you hear a lot of sour grapes about FFOF simply because of its widespread use. Let me give you the facts as I know them, from my own garden. I have started both seeds and clones, right in FFOF with no problem. These are weeds, and they can easily adapt to a soil. Yes it is a hot soil. Things grow fast in it as a result. Don't let failed gardeners influence you with their opinions... it is probably better to listen to a successful gardener, if you think about it. FFOF is good stuff. I use either that or Roots Organic in anything I do these days.

Regarding baking the soil to kill the living bugs... absolutely nothing wrong with doing this. You can easily add back the active microlife with your first application of Big Bloom. And, don't mislead yourself... unless you are using purified water, and no salt based nutrients, you really have no permanent microlife anyway... everything is temporary in a Fox Farm grow. Microlife is added with the Big Bloom, and before the next watering, the salts from the Tiger Bloom dry them all up like pouring salt on a slug.

Just follow the directions... if you are using FoxFarm soil with a bit of perlite to keep it from compacting... good. That is a very good plan. Now follow up with the nutrient trio and the 3 solubles and you will be right where the scientists at Fox Farm want you to be... and you will grow great pot just following their simple directions. Innovating from there, or adding other companies stuff is where people get in trouble. Trust the system you buy into... they wouldn't be in business if it didn't work.

Well...the timing should be perfect next month. If my plant makes it to harvest, which it looks like it will, then Ill be ready in March to do this. March is when my Nursery place gets their new inventory and even puts it on sale. I also have a friend coming to vist in 2 weeks and were building a better grow room. Same area, but more of a tent(ish) and we're making some lights that are easily adjusted in height and adding 2 that are from the sides. I think Im planning on sticking with cfls at the moment. Adjusting the lights on my set up as the plant grow is becoming a pita. I didnt think in advance on that one. As it is now,,Im going to have to remove another shelf as I only have another 12" left before I top out. Thats means taking everything apart...again. Ugh. I just want it easy to adjust what needs adjusting as I need to adjust it...lol
I ordered CKS WW autos expecting a 21 day delivery schedule. They made it here in only 4 days. LOL.
So..thats the plan.

Well...the timing should be perfect next month. If my plant makes it to harvest, which it looks like it will, then Ill be ready in March to do this. March is when my Nursery place gets their new inventory and even puts it on sale. I also have a friend coming to vist in 2 weeks and were building a better grow room. Same area, but more of a tent(ish) and we're making some lights that are easily adjusted in height and adding 2 that are from the sides. I think Im planning on sticking with cfls at the moment. Adjusting the lights on my set up as the plant grow is becoming a pita. I didnt think in advance on that one. As it is now,,Im going to have to remove another shelf as I only have another 12" left before I top out. Thats means taking everything apart...again. Ugh. I just want it easy to adjust what needs adjusting as I need to adjust it...lol
I ordered CKS WW autos expecting a 21 day delivery schedule. They made it here in only 4 days. LOL.
So..thats the plan.

Ah, exciting times. Love a grow space rebuild.

Just a note though, I don't see that Crop King Seeds has a WW auto. Most of their autoflowers are WW crosses, but the only one name White Widow is feminized, not auto.

Ive got another idea...
Right niw Im running 12/12 but have those autos that run 18/6.
Would the autos be OK at 12/12? Im thinking about starting one but if the light sched is off i wont.
Thougts.

OK..almost watering time.
Question.
Franny is doing great now.
Last week I gave Franny (My plant. My daughter decided to give her a name) 1 gallon (thats the amount that was required for some run off) mixed with 1/2 strength Calmag and 1/4 strength FF Big Bloom. But what I didnt do right was I messed up the Ph of the mix. It ended up at 7.0+. So 3 days later I gave 1/2 gallon until run off with the same ratio of Calmag and FF Big bloom with the corrected Ph and thats when I saw a recovery.
She's doing great, new pistils, new growth, leafs a nice color, no more spread of any deficiencies that I see....
So my question is..is what nutes and what strengths should I give Franny today?
My thought was to forgo the CalMag and go with 1/2 strength FF Big Bloom.

I will have the other one FF nutes today..Grow big and big bloom...so ill have all three.

Thoughts?

OK..almost watering time.
Question.
Franny is doing great now.
Last week I gave Franny (My plant. My daughter decided to give her a name) 1 gallon (thats the amount that was required for some run off) mixed with 1/2 strength Calmag and 1/4 strength FF Big Bloom. But what I didnt do right was I messed up the Ph of the mix. It ended up at 7.0+. So 3 days later I gave 1/2 gallon until run off with the same ratio of Calmag and FF Big bloom with the corrected Ph and thats when I saw a recovery.
She's doing great, new pistils, new growth, leafs a nice color, no more spread of any deficiencies that I see....
So my question is..is what nutes and what strengths should I give Franny today?
My thought was to forgo the CalMag and go with 1/2 strength FF Big Bloom.

I will have the other one FF nutes today..Grow big and big bloom...so ill have all three.

Thoughts?

my recommendation is to go with 3mg/gal of cal mag all throughout the grow. Our plants need massive amounts of magnesium, and at this level you should not have any danger of getting too much or too little. Now that your plant is thriving, it is time to start thinking about supercharging her with nutes. I would go with the recommended dose at this point. As far as what nutes to give, I strongly suggest that you get hold of the directions provided by FoxFarms and stop flying blind, thinking that somehow you know what to give them of the 3 products and how much to give. You need to follow their feeding chart and the instructions will tell you very clearly which of the three and in what proportions to give them depending on where they are at in the grow cycle. As an example of what I am saying, Big Bloom is the only totally organic and harmless product that FoxFarm produces... you practically can not overdose on Big Bloom, but yet, you felt you needed to give 1/4 and 1/2 strength. FoxFarm actually suggests that you give it, in large doses, all throughout the grow. You should have gotten a feeding schedule chart with your purchase of the trio... if not, you can google it. Each week you are called on to give slightly different mixes of these nutes. Follow their system, and it will work. Innovate, an you are pretty much on your own, and you will most likely be wondering why you are having problems.

Thanks.
I didnt the trio as I had hoped..they were out of Tiger. So I only have Big Bloom and Big grow.

I will give full doses today. It just that everywhere I have read its said to start out at 1/4 strength and work your way up to avoid any nute burn etc.

Once again, TYVM for your help.

Thanks.
I didnt the trio as I had hoped..they were out of Tiger. So I only have Big Bloom and Big grow.

I will give full doses today. It just that everywhere I have read its said to start out at 1/4 strength and work your way up to avoid any nute burn etc.

Once again, TYVM for your help.
Lots of people start out way too early giving nutes, so that is why the warnings... If you give too much, you will get nute burn, but that is not the end of the world... just back off on the nutes the next time. Also, only give nutes every other time... give plain pH adjusted water in between. Another trick to not over doing the nutes is to only give them every third time...

Definitely find the instructions... giving Grow Big at the beginning of flower could cause all sorts of bad things to happen.

Back
Top Bottom