300w LED - Sunset Kush

Re: 420 Consumer Reports - GrowLEDHydro Spectra 300w LED / Lowryder II by Setting Sun

I'd much rather learn from other people's mistakes and successes, but the lessons I learn from my own seem to sink in deeper.

I read this site for quite a while before I registered, observing, soaking it all in, figuring out who knew what, and who was doing what I wanted to do.

Success isn't accidental, and outside of the things we have zero control over, neither is failure.

Well said...:welldone:

-Go

Re: 420 Consumer Reports - GrowLEDHydro Spectra 300w LED / Lowryder II by Setting Sun

Ahh, surrounded by sages....You gotta love it! :rollit:

The one that's been burning a hole in my pocket for a while is the MG soil controversy.

then there's:

does LST increase yield?

are CMH bulbs better than horticultural bulbs?

that's about all I can add to what was already mentioned.

you know, it's amazing how much stuff most of us do agree about, lol

must be the herb

their some of the ones i forgot. CMH is on top of that list for me.
One of the most difficult aspects of being a new grower is that there are so many methods to growing and so many opinions on how to tweak those methods. When it came down to it, I found it was best to find growers that are having good success and mimic what they do. Essentially taking their best practices.
:peace:
well said! your on the right path thats how i learn to maximize my crops from reading hour and hours and hours of threads and different post for a long time. these fourms will teach you good tips and tricks, but the best way to learn is threw trail and error. it sucks to lean this way sometimes but like SS said it will sink in your skin deeper. its kinda like starting a new job you can watch the training videos all day but you wont really master the craft until you get hands on training. but learn the big No No's from others 1st so you dont make the same mistake.

We should start a "mythbusters" thread in the consumer reports forum so we don't get this thread too far off track... and also because it'd be nice to get all the myths listed so we can pick and choose which ones to challenge in future consumer reports journals.

I'd certainly like to see MG soil vs. Fox Farms vs. generic no nutes potting mix... of course, part of the problem with MG is the contents vary by region.

PropaGator certainly has made me curious about CMH bulbs - I have one now, but have not used it yet. As soon as I move back home I will be trying it out.

I love to see conventional wisdom questioned... more often than not it will most likely be confirmed, but those cases where we have been doing things for no reason... well, it'd sure be nice to know the truth!

That is a *great* suggestion OBX.

I've been carrying all the myths I can think of in my head and adding more to my mental list as I go along, but having them listed in a "mythbusters" thread would be really good for future reference.

Then when things get slow (lol), we can just pick a myth and bust away.

:slide::slide::slide:

P1000777.JPG

Shrub's a shrubette!

Now we're cookin'! :yahoo:

I almost hesitate to think her name could be Georgina Bush... well almost :)

Oooo don't thats worse than nameing your son Sue !

P1000874.JPG

P1000890.JPG

This is Vicky, the larger of the two that had more veg time. I transplanted her out of the self-watering pot and into a regular pot, and am keeping the saucer filled to about 2-3" with air stones oxygenating the water.

It's working very well, but I can't really attribute it directly to the bubbles since I don't know how she would do without them. In any case, Vicky always looks happy, grows very fast, and is starting to bud up nicely.

P1000876.JPG

This is Shrub, who I transplanted from the self-watering pot into a regular Hempy bucket.

She is also doing great. The perlite/turface mix is working really well in the large 10-liter bucket. I haven't watered her for four days and the bucket is still heavy. I'm sure the watering frequency will increase from where it is now, but I think it will be very manageable.

These are some pics I took a few hours ago.

P1000858.JPG

P1000860.JPG

P10008632.JPG

P1000888.JPG

P1000883.JPG

P1000864.JPG

P1000872.JPG

I'm very happy with how they're doing. I'm used to growing with 250w HID in soil. The Spectra 300 and passive hydro is blowing that into the weeds.

Flowering coming along nicely. I'm sure you are as pleased as punch about how well the transplanting is being handled by the plants. Looks great SS!

They definitely look perfectly healthy. Man, I can't wait until I can start a hempy grow. Just seems like a no-brainer to me. :goodjob:

It *is* a no-brainer, but that does come at the cost of faster growth and bigger yields ;).

the girls are looking great:thumb: looks like very soon you will be packing on some buds. glad u got some females and it wasn't a total lost. still using OC+ right? plants look very healthy. i noticed you have some thick tree stalks like mine, be ready with the saw

I'm glad I was able to salvage the grow after the male LR2 fiasco. Maybe we should rename the journal now that I'm finishing with the VK hybrids?

But yeah, I'm real glad I had those two VK's going and that they turned out to be girls.

Yup, still just using the OC+ and PH'ed water. I added another Tbsp of the OC+ when I transplanted them, so I think I'm up to a total of around 4 Tbsp or so since starting them out. The OC+ prills come right along with the root ball, so you just add things up when you transplant.

The stems are about twice as thick as what I'm used to seeing on previous grows. How would you compare the stems on your current LED/Hempy grow with the previous LED/soil grows?

Flowering coming along nicely. I'm sure you are as pleased as punch about how well the transplanting is being handled by the plants. Looks great SS!

I *am* pleased as punch with this grow now.

Glad you commented on the transplanting. I had a few concerns.

Before the grow even started I was concerned about how LST would work in perlite. Concern was unfounded as LST has been no problem in perlite. The roots gained a strong foothold, and as long as tension is balanced between both ties, nothing bad happens.

When I transplanted them, I released the tension in both ties simultaneously, and things went like a soil transplant after that.

Then I was concerned about transplanting them in early bloom, which I don't think is a good idea, but I was watering the pots more than twice daily and it wasn't going to get better, so I went ahead before they started flowering more heavily.

They did OK with it. Vicky never missed a beat. She always looks happy, healthy and robust, and although I want to believe it's the bubbles, I just don't know. Great plant. When I LST'ed her, she loved it. Didn't stretch much in bloom and her nodes are tight enough to form some nice solid colas if she bulks up.

Thanks Munki!

means a lot coming from someone with your grow skills

The stems are about twice as thick as what I'm used to seeing on previous grows. How would you compare the stems on your current LED/Hempy grow with the previous LED/soil grows?

this grow has the fattest stems but to be honest i am using Silica so i am sure that really helps fatten them up. so with that being the case i cant really say witch one. but i can say that both of my led grows have had really big stems thats for sure. the girls i have now are pretty big

I was worried about lst on perlite too, but apparently that didn't stop me. I was surprised at how well the plants hold on. #4 perlite, too. Balance is the key, but I don't think I could have reasonably pulled them out.

OC+ question... you're up to 4 tbsp. Are you going to add more?

I ask because I've got 3 tbsp in a 3gal Trader Joe's hempy, and I'm ready to pull the flower trigger. Think another spoonful?... hell, I've got 3lbs :)

I was worried about lst on perlite too, but apparently that didn't stop me. I was surprised at how well the plants hold on. #4 perlite, too. Balance is the key, but I don't think I could have reasonably pulled them out.

OC+ question... you're up to 4 tbsp. Are you going to add more?

I ask because I've got 3 tbsp in a 3gal Trader Joe's hempy, and I'm ready to pull the flower trigger. Think another spoonful?... hell, I've got 3lbs :)

You could add more OC+ with no problems. It would probably help. You could double it up and still be OK.

The product data says 70-90 grams for a 3 gallon container. In coming up with that number, I'm taking into account that some is incorporated and the rest will be top dressed.

A tbsp of OC+= 16 grams. Don't be shy....you won't burn the plants.

You could add more OC+ with no problems. It would probably help. You could double it up and still be OK.

The product data says 70-90 grams for a 3 gallon container. In coming up with that number, I'm taking into account that some is incorporated and the rest will be top dressed.

A tbsp of OC+= 16 grams. Don't be shy....you won't burn the plants.

16 grams! What do you want this grow to cost me, jeeze?

I've been digging any OC additions into the perlite opposite the damn hole. Is that cool? When I just put them on top, watering just bounced them all over the place. Not much osmoting there. I water pretty aggressively, close to dumping, in hopes of sucking in some quick oxygen. Should I dribble w/ the OC? How did I get this far?

16 grams! What do you want this grow to cost me, jeeze?

I've been digging any OC additions into the perlite opposite the damn hole. Is that cool? When I just put them on top, watering just bounced them all over the place. Not much osmoting there. I water pretty aggressively, close to dumping, in hopes of sucking in some quick oxygen. Should I dribble w/ the OC? How did I get this far?

Keep doing exactly what you're doing! :morenutes:
Just add more OC+.

How did you get this far?

Well, these plants are tough
you fed them a quality food
you have them in a superb medium

Now that your water is sorted out, you're going to have epic buds! You will! Remember, this method is stoner proof! Just stop doing so much and let them grow!

Back
Top Bottom