420 Magazine's Photo of the Month Contest: March 2018

And don't forget the staff-chosen Grow Journal Of The Month

And yes, entries and votes for the other contests are restricted to those with a minimum of 50 posts, to prevent members joining just to try and win stuff, and - Heaven forbid - contenders setting up false accounts just to vote for themselves.

:circle-of-love:

6. Editing Photos: Please do not add text, images and/or any effects or the submission will be disqualified. This makes it a fair contest for all, as not everyone can afford photo editing programs and/or know how to use them.
So post it like you shot it? That seems a fair and necessary rule to even the playing field as this is a photo contest, not a photo editing contest. I've played with a few of these submissions that are great as is, but with a little Photoshop magic they become front cover magazine quality. So we bare our naked, unretouched photos to the scrutiny of the judges and hope! LOL.
Good luck to all!

So post it like you shot it? That seems a fair and necessary rule to even the playing field as this is a photo contest, not a photo editing contest. I've played with a few of these submissions that are great as is, but with a little Photoshop magic they become front cover magazine quality. So we bare our naked, unretouched photos to the scrutiny of the judges and hope! LOL.
Good luck to all!
Would removing a recognizable face out of the image be allowed?

Would removing a recognizable face out of the image be allowed?
The Overlords will have to address that, but I'd think that cropping is a given in framing a shot. I'd think though that blurring a face would detract from the overall composition of a photo and probably not win any extra points.

And don't forget the staff-chosen Grow Journal Of The Month

And yes, entries and votes for the other contests are restricted to those with a minimum of 50 posts, to prevent members joining just to try and win stuff, and - Heaven forbid - contenders setting up false accounts just to vote for themselves.

Hi Teddy - maybe that contest could get listed among the contests (in the contests forum) as well as the grow journals forum... I’ve been missing it for months!! I won’t now that I know where to find it - but maybe it can be linked in 2 places so it joins the contest ‘family’.

:Namaste:

Good luck to all!

I think we’d find any number of the previous winners have spent some time in photoshop or something similar. Don’t get me wrong, I agree with what you say completely. It’s a hard thing to ‘enforce’ - like you say there are certain effects that only come from pro-processes and many of winners show this quality. They’re very deserving winners, I’ve no problem with that - just saying...

I kinda like just normal pictures, no lies or making it look better than it is. I would like to see some of my pictures done on the editing program to see what it looked like.

I've been using CorelDraw and its predecessors since 1994. The Home and Student Suite goes for $129.92 CAD at Staples. I'm by no means an expert, as I use it only for a few graphics and drawings a year. My avatar is three layers of images that have been modified by cropping, cutting, and setting the transparency of the layers. There's a lot you can do with it to touch up photographs. It was a necessary purchase for some of my earlier endeavors.

Something a lot of folks don't remember is that more than 80% of a photographer's work was done in the darkroom. Light was manipulated, blemishes were airbrushed away, images were cropped, and the development cycle was adapted to get the final result. Image manipulation software has simply taken the place of the darkroom in digital photography.

Now, I'd rather use my funds to improve growing conditions :)

Something a lot of folks don't remember is that more than 80% of a photographer's work was done in the darkroom. Light was manipulated, blemishes were airbrushed away, images were cropped, and the development cycle was adapted to get the final result. Image manipulation software has simply taken the place of the darkroom in digital photography.
Exactly :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom