AKGramma's Perpetual Grow

90 days from seed the "auto" Polar Express is full of flowers. She finally found her stride! I tagged the one seeded calyx on a lower branch, so I don't forget where it is.

All four ladies in flower got cleaned of drying and crowded leaves, and I trimmed some mini-buds that were drying to a crisp. They went in the edibles bin for drying, to be either brewed as a tincture or cooked up as cannabudder. Three out of the four are heavy with flowers. The weak AK48 will be a small yield, as she is 1/3 smaller than her sister and Polar Express.

I wish I had the room to tie down Mama BBL's branches, but then she would need the whole 3 x 3 unit to herself. I might be able to move the smaller AK48 into the breeding unit, just to free up some real estate. No matter how I figure it, I need more space!

I wonder if I can take the seeded ladies out from under 12/12 entirely to free up some more space? or will that cause the seeds to fail?

Expansion.....it never stops, does it? :laughtwo: I was just commenting somewhere else that I started with two autos in a closet. Now I have four different spaces to choose from. I swear, we could fill barns, couldn't we? That's what I'd like, a barn to grow in. Or a big greenhouse. That sounds nicer.

I'd settle for an entire room, large enough for the tents. :cheesygrinsmiley:

In less than an hour, Santa will be returning to Alaska to deliver presents to all good boys n girls! Some of those presents will be green and fragrant!

A Very Green Christmas to all of you in the Lower 48 and across canada!:xmas:

It looks like my smaller AK48 got some stray pollen from the mystery sativa. The offspring is going to be ........ interesting. She got placed in the breeding unit, giving Mama BBL more room to spread out. AK48 x unknown Male Sativa. Judging from the number of seeded buds, it explains why she is declining so quickly. More seeds than bud around the lower 2/3. All sensimilla at the top.

I also found some developing buds on the branch I pollinated with the rest of the BBL, but they are too far along to be from this last attempt. I think the father was also the mystery Sativa. The best I can do is label these few buds with the mother's name and a ? for the male, and figure it out when I pop them. BBL x ?

Starting to get some scent from the grow room in the morning, which means the ladies in flower are in full flower, with a hint of a downward slide. Still on schedule for late Feb to early March.

only 4 weeks, eh? I would have thought the maturation on seeds would be about the same length as buds, like 10 or so weeks. This is my first successful pollination.

The calyxes havent dried and split. They are still greenish. The rest of the plant, however is dry and krispy, except for a few leaves on the tips.

You think I should harvest and open one seed pod to see if they are ready?

4 weeks is about right. Did you do a intensional pollination in there too? If so are you sure you handled everything tight' as to not cross pollinate? The pollen from your sativa should be viable. Alot stress induced hermied flowers produce female pollen. And they do stress over the end of life without having reproduced. Hopefully you have all females seeds from her. If you have to harvest and seeds need aminute longer, just leave acouple seeded buds going and take the rest.. GL Keepem Green

only 4 weeks, eh? I would have thought the maturation on seeds would be about the same length as buds, like 10 or so weeks. This is my first successful pollination.

The calyxes havent dried and split. They are still greenish. The rest of the plant, however is dry and krispy, except for a few leaves on the tips.

You think I should harvest and open one seed pod to see if they are ready?

I've read they develope in around 4 weeks. It makes sense, as in the wild they aren't going to naturally get pollinated as soon as they start flowering. There has to be a window for them to fit into that will give them time to develope. It might take longer on longer flowering plants, however. The bud I cut to check was 8 weeks into flowering, and 6 weeks since I pollinated her, on a plant that I think is going to take around 10-11 weeks to flower. I got 17 beautiful seeds out of enough bud to pack one bowl.
420-magazine-mobile789485290.jpg

Smoked that bowl too, and I'm looking forward to the harvest . Even as seeded as she is. 😁

Don't take much in the way of bud size to get a shit pot of seeds, like Morglie got. When I use to make seed I use to dust a lower bud with pollen and then cover it with a white paper envelope and staple it closed for afew days,, uncover, and spray with water to deactivate the pollen and keep from spreading to other buds. Tie alittle twist wire with a tag of which pollen you were using if your doing more than one pollination.
I always thought it wood be great is they was a 'pollen trading club.' A library of pollens. Get a good looking mother and hit her with 5 or 6 types of pollen,,, Just my 2 cents, but if your ever going to want really prime genetics to use in a breeding program, use regular seeds. Most fem seeds have been genetically altered or mutated. Regulars tend to be more uniform genetics and less chance of seed that tend to hermie in the future.
Keepem Green

Wood:

The mystery plants were intentionally used for breeding, were photos, and so Sativa-looking, that I let two of the males live. Male #1 is back in veg after doing his duty to the 2 original Mystery ladies, and Male #2 is busy dropping his pollen on paper plates. Both mystery males are profuse pollen-producers!

I did multiple pollinations with a small sable brush to make sure I had lots of Sativa seeds, because it was obvious that I wasn't going to get a lot of buds. I'm hoping the offspring have the stickyness of the mothers and the bush phenotype of the male.

NOTE TO SELF: Just over 30 days since I pollinated the mystery ladies, with successive applications of pollen over the following two weeks.

Male #2 must have had a hidden flower before I realized he was a he, in the flower unit, but he is now in the breeding unit with the seeded ladies. He only managed to pollinate three or so buds in the flower unit. This was unintentional. I'm storing his pollen for later use. He has a dieselly scent to him, so when I pollinate the Mystery clones, I should get some Sativas with some kick to them.

The offspring will be strictly for family use, as they are my beta-smokers. They'll let me know what is good and what is not so good. The not-so-good will become cannabudder.

I am on the fence as to whether or not to use the Sativa pollen to cross with the Bubblelicious clones. I'm trying to keep the BBL strain going with clones, but cloning has been only a hit and miss success. Cross pollinating is going to change the strain.

SYPHERZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > HUGS <

Glad to see you posting again! Your kind gift me sent me on quite a journey, as you can tell from my journal!

I was so impressed by the Diesel Berry Auto, I ordered Auto Berry from across the border. I hope to start a few of those in a month or two, as well as some Jock Horror FEM.

Feel free to post a pic or two here, if you don't have a journal set up.

I rebuilt my box.. I have one 24x24x48 tall(inside demesion) running 1 300 watt twilight led and 4 aux CFL lights.. one in each corner. 4" exhaust system with carbon filter. And passive air intake. I'm using ocean floor with a lot of added perlite.. nutes I use are organics.. ran into a few problems but not many.. I'm sure my yeilder would have been more had I used something bigger than a 3 gal pot.. using 5 gallons on my next grow which is big Buddha critical mass auto.. I am curious as to what my final yield will be

You and I are running about the same set-up, only I have 3 units, not just one. I, too, run 3 gallons, in the form of rectangular trash bins, but have recently transplanted two Bubblelicious clones into one 5 gallon pot. It's too crowded for me to have too many of those.

I also mix a lot of perlite in my soil mix, which makes it very light. At least it doesn't pack down like the soil mix by itself did.

The only thing I don't have is a carbon venting system. It's just a floor fan coming into the grow room, and a double window fan for exhaust. By now the neighbors all know the old ladu grows pot! LOL!

We'll def have to compare grows, since we're pretty similar. It must be the nutes.

Believe it or not I had to use very little nutes.. the soil was virgin soil and had never been used before.. I lost ur contact info or I would have been sending u progress pics.. but it could have possibly been the nutes.. but u have great grows that will far surpass anything I'm able to grow.. I need to start a journal bc I am basically running perpetual as I already have the next one ready for my bloom box.. I used my first box as a veg box.. height not too much of an issue in veg box.

I have yet to get a cola like your Siberian. But you prove that it is possible indoors, in limited spaces!

The Diesel Berry Auto, tho, was one 4 four foot cola, no branches, and grew so fast, I was afraid to try and slow her down. Now, I just need to repeat that event. Most everything I'm growing, develop clusters of flowers, not colas, esp since I FIM them.

Put the pic of the Siberian colas in the bud of the month contest. You might win some goodies!

And start that Journal! We can feed off each other's successes and commiserate with each other's failures. :high-five:

I harvested the seeds from Sticky Missy. Although all dried up, except for the seed pods, she was sticky like super glue all over! I can tell that m,any of the seeds are still white, but some of them are light brown. I'm going to let the plucked seed pods dry overnight to make it easier to peel them. I may let the second seeded female mature a bit longer. I think 4 weeks is a bit short for Sativas.

Male #2 has given me a LOT of pollen, so I cut his pods and put them in with the trim. Later, I will try to get the pollen from the paper plates into some kind of small container, without getting it all over me and the house! LOL!

After I remove him, I'll need to wipe down the unit before I turn on the fans and put any more plants in there. With some creative rearranging, I might be able to deactivate the unit for a month or two and reduce my electric bill! But That won't last long, since I have a unit full of juveniles that need up-potting, and room to spread out.

I put the naked Sticky Missy into the veg unit, but I don't have any hope for her. I let her use herself up before I took the seeds.

Edit: the Polar Express cutting I took was completely covered with fungus today, whereas a FEM Haze clone in the same bag is healthy. So much for cloning Autos.....

I rubbed the seeds till all the green came off, and it looks like I have everything from pale immature seeds to mature seeds. So I should have a decent batch of viable mystery Sativas to grow for the family.

I'm glad you got some viable seeds AK. I'm kind of thinking the length for seed development is tied to flower length. The 4 weeks was something I saw on a popular place that is geared towards newer growers. Most seed banks are pushing strains that flower in 8-9 weeks so it wouldn't surprise me if the 4 weeks is the amount of time short flowering hybrids take. I've researched a decent amount but am only now getting real world experience. I can tell you that I got all fully developed seeds in half the time the plant takes to flower. There wasn't a single under developed seed in there.

On the cloning of autos, it doesn't work. They are genetically coded for a certain life span and once they are done, they are done. It sucks as there are some great autos out there that would be nice to perpetuate. You can't even make F1s unless you hermie a plant with CS or STS. I know people have great success with this but I don't have the space to pull it off properly. Plus, like Woodie, I like regular seeds as well.

Back
Top Bottom