Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

Subbing to this grow, lookin great Amy. Just catching up with everything so far, I know you followed along on my critical grow! So I couldn't help but return the favor! If you don't want to top the plants but accelerate the bottom growth what I've done on plants that size is take a 16 penny nail and some string. Loosely Tie one end to the top of the plant and the other to the nail. Bend the plant slightly to one side and push the nail in your soil. Just an idea, I know you can super crop but I don't like snapping stems. All you have to do is make sure the tip of the plant is below the next set of growth tips and they will all take off ! Can't wait to see more! Happy holidays!

Man that grow WAS critical :bravo:

Nice to have you along, most very welcome LED :welcome:

Have you recovered from the harvest yet? I don't remember there ever being any harvest pics on the thread... did you post some that I missed? Oh - and how is the indoor space build coming along? Got a current journal going? I've been checking out the one in your sig just now, from earlier in the year, yes? That's one impressive scrog man!!

I will employ that suggestion about a gentle bend. There's only one plant I'm not topping, and your idea should do as you suggest and just blast a little light to those lower nodes & get them going. I have already pinched the stem of that one a little... just to see.

Pull up a deck chair, or a surfboard seeing as we're by the sea here, and enjoy some of the good hooch that's going around. Sue pops in with some killer brownies and other treats from time to time...
:yummy:

Man that grow WAS critical :bravo:

Nice to have you along, most very welcome LED :welcome:

Have you recovered from the harvest yet? I don't remember there ever being any harvest pics on the thread... did you post some that I missed? Oh - and how is the indoor space build coming along? Got a current journal going? I've been checking out the one in your sig just now, from earlier in the year, yes? That's one impressive scrog man!!

I will employ that suggestion about a gentle bend. There's only one plant I'm not topping, and your idea should do as you suggest and just blast a little light to those lower nodes & get them going. I have already pinched the stem of that one a little... just to see.

Pull up a deck chair, or a surfboard seeing as we're by the sea here, and enjoy some of the good hooch that's going around. Sue pops in with some killer brownies and other treats from time to time...
:yummy:

Haha thank you so much! I had a series of fortunate and unfortunate events towards the end of my grow that made it hard for me to post. First off I was blessed with a new baby girl on October 20 ( right during harvest, she's my harvest baby).

Then I got hurt and broke two fingers and a few bones in my hand. Been in a cast for 6 weeks just got that off about a week ago. And of course the problem with getting some of my crop stolen also put a damper on what was otherwise my best grow to date I think!

Good thing was I grew to much. They couldn't steal it all muahaha. By that time the moderators already moved my thread to finished journals and I figured everyone stopped caring lol. I have some photos of the final stuff if you would still like to see.

I'm actually still finishing up my shed. My hand being broken really made it hard to work on. I have it all wired and insulated, I'm working on the interior sheeting now and it should be pretty much done. I started some seeds already and I was gifted a couple clones so I will be starting a new journal real soon. Just want to get everything in order and ready to go!

So I will be around a lot more and I'm really looking forward to new adventures!

Haha thank you so much! I had a series of fortunate and unfortunate events towards the end of my grow that made it hard for me to post. First off I was blessed with a new baby girl on October 20 ( right during harvest, she's my harvest baby).

Then I got hurt and broke two fingers and a few bones in my hand. Been in a cast for 6 weeks just got that off about a week ago. And of course the problem with getting some of my crop stolen also put a damper on what was otherwise my best grow to date I think!

Good thing was I grew to much. They couldn't steal it all muahaha. By that time the moderators already moved my thread to finished journals and I figured everyone stopped caring lol. I have some photos of the final stuff if you would still like to see.

I'm actually still finishing up my shed. My hand being broken really made it hard to work on. I have it all wired and insulated, I'm working on the interior sheeting now and it should be pretty much done. I started some seeds already and I was gifted a couple clones so I will be starting a new journal real soon. Just want to get everything in order and ready to go!

So I will be around a lot more and I'm really looking forward to new adventures!

So that is a lot to happen eh?! Congratulations on the introduction of a new life into your world. A harvest baby, how superb.

I do remember the crop raid, and that it didn't diminish that fact that you had more weed there than anyone person could consume in anything other than a rather long time. You know - you can still add to that journal... I'm sure your subscribers from that grow would love that little update (I did) and dig seeing harvest and bud pics and/or reading a 'smoke report' (I would). ;)

You're most welcome to just drop some pics of it here too if that's easier (new dad with probably not a lot of time on your hands!)

So sorry to hear about your hand. That's a tough injury to recover from, yeah? Fingers - can be hard work getting them good again after something like that. Hope they're coming along for you. Thankfully you have plenty of meds. ..

I'm glad you're here, apart from your lovely company, I'll get to hear about your new journal when it starts .

A very good day to you, and all ...

Full Reps to my buddy MerryAnna for suggesting i join her Summer solstice celebration of dropping some seeds for a mid season grow - late harvest. It's so exciting to have newbies! I soaked seeds for 6hrs on Christmas Day when there was a new moon in Pisces which ought to be auspicious for this action, and dropped them in the ground later that same day. They have all broken ground already - the newly named Ice Princess was first (Ice by Female Seeds). Usually i don't name my plants, beyond the breeders name, but that's not a rule or anything - and that name just popped up when she did. I've given the rundown of the genetics in an earlier post but basically, 1 x Ice and 2 x GT/NL from my friend.

One of the seeds from my mate (GT x NL??) - nice & stripey
PC2500012.jpg

Drinking, softening a little...
PC250003_1_.jpg

The Ice Princess awakens! Welcome gorgeous :love:

PC2900091.jpg

I need some more seeds...

PC2500022.jpg

:circle-of-love:

:Namaste:

Are you taking cuttings and cloning your plants yet? A lot easier than growing everything from seed :)

Are you taking cuttings and cloning your plants yet? A lot easier than growing everything from seed :)

It's something I'm sure thinking about. Timing is a thing outdoors tho. These plants went in so late, there was nothing to clone anyway. But I expect that next year I will have plants in much earlier, might even raise a mother under lights pre-season, and I'll practice cuttings then. I've been watching all you cloners avidly, that's for sure. I think I've got enough in my learning curve this season so far... besides, there's still something of a chemovar search required. I need to audition a few... Blue Dream, a Malawi x Panama that looks mighty interesting, a higher ratio CBD and a 1:1 like white, or black, widow are all at the top of the wish list at the moment. I hope, over the next few years to find some I'm happy with and then get to know them a bit... so yes, cloning, it's coming ..

Happy New Years Amy and fine chaps ..

All the best Amy in 18 you have grown into an awesome
Grower .

And a happy new year to all you wonderful folks that have visited my journal to date - with help, encouragement, and enjoyment.

I topped off a pretty full on year health wise with a 7hour stint in emergency yesterday after having a full anaphylactic reaction to an ant bite. I've had allergy responses in the past (once to a tick and often to alcohol, until we worked that one out and I became a non-drinker). But the anaphylaxis had never hit that hard before. Was pretty terrifying actually. A few shots of adrenaline in the ambulance and things settled a bit, then 6hrs under observation in emergency- on New Year's Eve. Was quite the sociological experience you'd expect - a very wide range of events, and people and traumas. Thankfully I was home by 9pm, before the emergency area really got NYE crazy. Still feeling a bit off today will have to have more antihistamine I think. And better get that EPI pen they gave me a script for...

Oh - and by the way, it wasn't that huge f***ker of a bullant that bit me. It was one that looked identical but was only about 8mm. It managed to get onto my shirt collar and bit me in the back of the neck. I was gardening in the enclosure at the time and had not long before flicked one - I'm sure it was the same one - off one of my plants. I think it was getting me back!Weird thing, I got ant bitten, also on the neck, about 2 weeks ago and had no reaction other than the usual to that one...

So that's bookended the year - we're done with crazy health events! And I'm leaving the ants alone from now on!

Be safe everyone

Re: Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

And a happy new year to all you wonderful folks that have visited my journal to date - with help, encouragement, and enjoyment.

I topped off a pretty full on year health wise with a 7hour stint in emergency yesterday after having a full anaphylactic reaction to an ant bite. I've had allergy responses in the past (once to a tick and often to alcohol, until we worked that one out and I became a non-drinker). But the anaphylaxis had never hit that hard before. Was pretty terrifying actually. A few shots of adrenaline in the ambulance and things settled a bit, then 6hrs under observation in emergency- on New Year's Eve. Was quite the sociological experience you'd expect - a very wide range of events, and people and traumas. Thankfully I was home by 9pm, before the emergency area really got NYE crazy. Still feeling a bit off today will have to have more antihistamine I think. And better get that EPI pen they gave me a script for...

Oh - and by the way, it wasn't that huge f***ker of a bullant that bit me. It was one that looked identical but was only about 8mm. It managed to get onto my shirt collar and bit me in the back of the neck. I was gardening in the enclosure at the time and had not long before flicked one - I'm sure it was the same one - off one of my plants. I think it was getting me back!Weird thing, I got ant bitten, also on the neck, about 2 weeks ago and had no reaction other than the usual to that one...

So that's bookended the year - we're done with crazy health events! And I'm leaving the ants alone from now on!

Be safe everyone

Well..... That's just too much excitement of the wrong kind to welcome in a new year Amy. You live in a country that really believes in survival of the fittest, don't you? :laughtwo:

I'm glad you weathered it safely. That's a frightening experience to go through. :hug::hug::hug: On to happier and healthier days, eh?

:party: :yahoo: Happy New Year Amy! :yahoo: :party:

May the best of last year be the worst of this one.​

I have been casually late to all the best journals.

We have some similarities going on. We have both jumped into living organic soils but not to the extreme. Reading your soil recipe / plan made me smile. I even did the same thing with local clay...dried it in the oven and ground it up..almost 2lbs of it. Got another 10lbs in large chunks in the basement “just in case” like some pack rat.

Might start vermincomposting and I have been feeding with aloe / coconut water or diluted aerated compost teas. First grow for me so lots to learn.

Loving your photography. You got my vote in the nug of the month contest, that nug on the volkswagen van shot is awesome, well done. Going to sub up and hang in the back if you dont mind.

I have been casually late to all the best journals.

We have some similarities going on. We have both jumped into living organic soils but not to the extreme. Reading your soil recipe / plan made me smile. I even did the same thing with local clay...dried it in the oven and ground it up..almost 2lbs of it. Got another 10lbs in large chunks in the basement "just in case" like some pack rat.

Might start vermincomposting and I have been feeding with aloe / coconut water or diluted aerated compost teas. First grow for me so lots to learn.

Loving your photography. You got my vote in the nug of the month contest, that nug on the volkswagen van shot is awesome, well done. Going to sub up and hang in the back if you dont mind.

High! It's great to have you along! Hell, hang in the front if you like .

Thanks for your vote and for liking my photos. I have a lovely time taking them.

I actually browsed your profile really recently, inspired by some post you made elsewhere, where we both pop up. I can't even remember what or where it was now - just a moment of 'I have some things in common with this dude...' .. So it's perfect that you've popped over!

:welcome:

Well..... That's just too much excitement of the wrong kind to welcome in a new year Amy. You live in a country that really believes in survival of the fittest, don't you? :laughtwo:

I'm glad you weathered it safely. That's a frightening experience to go through. :hug::hug::hug: On to happier and healthier days, eh?

:party: :yahoo: Happy New Year Amy! :yahoo: :party:

May the best of last year be the worst of this one.​

Thanks Sue :hug: that helps :hug:

Well I decided that it was seeing off 2017, as it was still nye when it all went down. We did have a super rough year so in a way it was only fitting to finish it thusly. And the important words there are 'finish it'!

It meant I welcomed the new year with a restful day in bed, something I am supposed to do more of in order to get well over time - so that is a good omen. Start the year off right.

May 2018 bring many better days! Eh?!

Dang Amy be careful! Sorry to hear about your ant incident, sounds scary but I'm glad you are okay! I love the photos and the bent stick LST, we can call it the Amy G LST. I like seeing how different growers do things different ways to accomplish the same thing.
I just went fishing last night and caught a 56 inch sturgeon. I think once I get home and fillet it out I will bury the carcass in my dirt pile for this summers grow. Should be pretty good stuff in a couple months! Anyways, happy new year! I plan on starting my new journal today or tomorrow, I'll be sure to drop a link to it so you can see my new adventures as well! Going to go take a dab and relax for the rest of the day :)

Re: Amy Gardner's First Journal - Outdoor - Critical Cure & Chaos In The Forest

Be safe everyone

Let's hope for great and better health for us then . to health and green gardens Amy ..

Wow heck of a NYE! Glad you are alright, those stories dont always have a happy ending. I am a super calm dude in emergencies or scary situations. Its what I do. But I turn into a hysterical wing nut when accosted by bugs. I have had a "run" in with ants before...but not the terrible ones you have...these were harmless. Not to me.

We stopped at a rest area on the way home from camping. I was probably 13. Being the keen fisherman I am...I run to the river bank to throw the rod in while we have lunch. I am standing there on the bank, in the middle of thick bushes because I was too lazy to find a clear area. After 2 or 3 minutes I notice movement. I look around and there are ants all over the bushes. And now me as well.

I lose it. Looking back I feel like an olympian. I was able to simultaneously run, scream, and rip all my clothes off while running back towards the family. In hindsight it may have been an over reaction lol.

Anyway I came to share a photo of the clay I harvested and then ground up, along with some knuckle skin, while preparing my soil. By far the hardest job of this first grow lol. But I think you are right, the goodies and nutrients in our local soil should be amazing

IMG_605810.JPG

Wow heck of a NYE! Glad you are alright, those stories dont always have a happy ending.

I am a super calm dude in emergencies or scary situations. Its what I do. But I turn into a hysterical wing nut when accosted by bugs....

I was able to simultaneously run, scream, and rip all my clothes off while running back towards the family. In hindsight it may have been an over reaction lol.

Anyway I came to share a photo of the clay I harvested and then ground up, along with some knuckle skin, while preparing my soil. By far the hardest job of this first grow lol. But I think you are right, the goodies and nutrients in our local soil should be amazing

IMG_605810.JPG

Thanks Urban - that's a good teenage story .
yep it is amazing what we can do in crisis, even in panic mode! I tend to be kind of calm too, but even when it's me (unless a big hairy spider is on me - then it's anybody's guess) I had a feeling it was going the way it did and decided I had time for a quick shower before deciding whether I needed to call an ambulance. In hindsight, I maybe wouldn't do that again .. Not that I think it was stupid, I actually thought maybe I had something else 'on' me that I could maybe wash off whatever was causing the sensation that there were tiny ants biting me all over! But also in my mind was the thought that 'I can't go to hospital in this state' (gardening clothes, sweaty etc). So yeah, I can be oddly calm in crisis - it was only a quick shower and I knew as soon as I got out what was on and made the call! I've been back in the garden since, and in the bush. I'm not at all inclined to wind back my activities in the garden, but I do sense an elevation in my anxiety level - some hyper vigilance shall we say!! And the very ants have little mounds in my ganja bed... which is how it got on me in the first place. I'm wondering what I can do about that, that doesn't involve killing them.

I've been thinking about your baking the clay. That's both nerdy and very cool .. my favourite combination ;) The last round of soil I did, the clay was pretty dry already, and that mixed a bit better. Previously I had to keep stopping the mixer and squishing up a few clumps by hand. So baked, I'm sure it mixed through really nicely. Did you read something about baking it? Or was it just cool nerdy instinct?

Let's hope for great and better health for us then . to health and green gardens Amy ..

Thanks Joe - hear hear! .

Dang Amy be careful! Sorry to hear about your ant incident, sounds scary but I'm glad you are okay! I love the photos and the bent stick LST, we can call it the Amy G LST. I like seeing how different growers do things different ways to accomplish the same thing.
I just went fishing last night and caught a 56 inch sturgeon. I think once I get home and fillet it out I will bury the carcass in my dirt pile for this summers grow. Should be pretty good stuff in a couple months! Anyways, happy new year! I plan on starting my new journal today or tomorrow, I'll be sure to drop a link to it so you can see my new adventures as well! Going to go take a dab and relax for the rest of the day :)

Thanks Man! Yep- my casual attitude to the local crawlers has tightened just a little bit! It's pretty odd as I've had plenty of ant bites, and never reacted to one before. I do have a condition that seems to include random allergic responses though. So I'm glad I have an EpiPen now .

We've been thinking about getting some fishing throw outs for our compost. It is good stuff for it eh? Because we're vego, we've never had any inclination. So we're currently discussing whether vegetarians can have dead critters in their compost. We have a friend who picks up the occasional roadkill for hers. Plenty of local fishermen round here. I'm sure that asking for the heads & guts wouldn't be a problem for them. It's just whether we could stomach it. And part of my vegetarianism is a feeling that I don't want to eat something if I can't kill it and prepare it myself. I know that sounds a bit wacky, but that's how it is. And I don't have any attitude about meat eating/eaters per se (some of my best friends ... ;) ) just the massive industries, factory farming, methane pollution, over fishing etc etc.. I used to go fishing a lot too. It's a wonderful peaceful pastime. And then there cane a time when I couldn't kill what I'd caught...

I'm so looking forward to your journal .

I want to thank you too for the suggestions about slightly leaning a plant over to encourage lower branching. I've been doing that to the one I didn't want to top and it's going nicely. I'm brewing an update today, so sometime in the next 48hours I'll share how effective it's been .

Happy green gardens my lovelies!

lol it was mostly plain nerdiness that made me bake the clay. I know clay holds a lot of water. I took a soil class or two in college. I also knew I wanted it in fine grain form as it was being used as part of my rock dust mix. So by baking it I could get as much water out as possible and break it up easier. This has not been proven at this point lol.

This clay was deposited in a glacial lake. Thousands of years of fine sediment collecting on the bottom of a massive glacial lake. Now it's the elevated portion of a riverside community. Very dense clay deposits. This stuff was a pain to break up.

All that work because I couldn't find bentonite clay locally

Update - the enclosure

On NYE i finally topped out the soil - here’s the last group shot of 2017. The larger girls (CBDCC right - Professor#2 left) are droopy because when I watered in the top soil with a bit of weak seaweed tea, I did let them get a bit wet - it was overcast.

enclosure-NYE.jpg

Over the last 2 weeks they’ve had some foliar spraying and some weak tea watered in - all with the home made seaweed juice, at different strengths. And once,a few days ago I blended a very small amount of the freebie organic fert that I got - for hopefully some trace elements of many things and some enzymes and bacteria. I also, after some reading, decided that my types of calcium were perhaps a little out of balance - I used a lot more gypsum than oyster shell flour and palagonite (a form of basalt) when i made it originally, so I have amended with a little garden lime to increase the calcium carbonate content. I’m still learning about all this, and you read different stuff, get different advice, of course - it’s an artisan-like practice not a science after all - so I’m just tweaking here 'n there and watching the plants. You know, I could watch them all day. It never gets old does it?! I sit and stare at them, just captured by how beautiful they are…

The leaves on these enclosure babies are firm but not crunchy, still have a softness - even in the harsh sun - and they’re strong!

CBDCC week8-9

I have taken LED209’s advice - thank you - and spent some time over the last week leaf tucking and laying the CBDCC back gently, to open the lower branch sites up to the sun. This (below) is the first day of this practice, on NYE. I’ve decided that leaf tucking is kind of like gently asking the plant to hold hands with itself. :battingeyelashes:

CBDCC-8weeks.jpg

I haven’t been leaving it like that permanently - I’ve been applying the techniques during the day and then letting her free & loose overnight. After 2 days she looked like this.

CBDCC-2daysposttucking.jpg

3days on - untethered…

CBDCC-week8end.jpg

There’ve been days when i only tucked leaves and didn’t lie her back at all. So i’m mixing it up a bit. The lower branches are really coming on - still fairly spindly, but not really weak so hopefully they’ll be strong enough by the time she has something huge and frosty to hold up! Yesterday she looked like this - quite a development in a week of tucking and ‘leaning’ I think!

CBDCC-week9.jpg

Today she’s still tied back from yesterday - I did a little more leaf tucking and will let her free tonight.

CBDCC-week9c.jpg

Professor #2
This one i’ve laid back permanently, and may go further. I’m very happy to be potentially getting anything at all from her so her health is very exciting (she had some early struggles).

This her on NYE - the first day of “lay back & tuck” therapy (sounds like a high diving manoeuvre) ;)

Professor_2-8weeks.jpg

here’s a little node shot from that day

Professor_2-8weeks-node.jpg

A few days ago I was having some challenges effectively tucking the top leaves (they’re huge in comparison to the rest to her) so I decided to employ the training techniques I’ve been watching Pigeons420 doing on his youtube channel, to bend the top over, opening the second node to the sun

Professor_2-topbend1.jpg

Prof_2-topbend2.jpg

It’s 3 days later now and this is her today - she’s straightened up again as I know she would, but the effect has been to successfully make the tops get some grow on, and it’s really helped the nodes underneath. This is today as I found her - before any leaf tucking...

Professor_2-week9pretuck.jpg

And this is after some leaf tucking … oh, and some tip spreading :thumb:

Professor_2-week9posttuck.jpg

I’ve been tip spreading both the enclosure girls everyday, sometimes more than once. It’s a lovely practice, very intimate.

This is the group shot of the enclosure as it is today. You’ll notice that 2 of the new babies are now in the bed in front of the older ones. That’s IcePrincess on the left and one of the GoldenTiger crosses on the right. I’m experimenting here with training from a very young age. InTheShed - thanks - talks about starting LST basically “as soon as there is enough height to start the bending process” - so I’m attempting some of my own Espalier to see what I can get away with. They’ll have a shortish veg because they went in so late in the season, so if it works, I figure the ‘hedges’ wont get too long for the space… we’ll see…

The_enclosure-current.jpg

And finally - my recent gardening companions have largely been insects (and not just ants!). There are some of these ones who seem to be living in our enclosure. They’re always around, about 5-10 of them I think. On the day of this photo, this one was hovering around my shoulder as I went about my business. It came with me from one end of the enclosure to the other - just there, at the edge of my eyeline - moving with me wherever i went for quite some time… I eventually decided it was saying “hey, how about me this week? Take my photo!!” So I said - “ok gorgeous, where are you going to sit?” (yes, I talk to insects - I talk to all the critters around here, and the plants as well). It then landed almost immediately on the top leaf of a recently transplanted Holy Basil, right next to my ganja raised bed, “perfect”. It’s a 'hover fly' - and I’m stoked that they’ve moved in…
Hover flies may appear in large numbers during hot weather. They linger in gardens to feed at flowers and to seek shade. Many species perform the useful role of ridding the garden of aphids, as they lay their eggs in aphid colonies and the larvae (maggots) feed on the aphids.

Hover_fly.jpg

That’s the enclosure as it is for now - I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with the other GTcross, yet. It’s very stretchy in that little pot. Better do something with it soon!

Big love to all my 420 companions. I’m so happy I’ve landed here - and the experience of having a little garden and tracking it through the journaling is bringing a lot of joy to my days. Thanks for visiting today. Go well, wherever you go.

Will update the pods soon.
:circle-of-love:

Well done Amy. :bravo:

And hover flies too! :high-five: That's great news for the girls, who by the way look amazing! Love those big, big leaves on Professor #2. They look so exotic in an already exotic garden.

Your enclosure has come along famously. All that work paying off. Your catching on nicely to training techniques. Pigeons would be so proud of you. :cheesygrinsmiley: I do that with all my plants now. Before I started watching him I was much more gentle with my charges. Now I reach in there and roughhouse with them. Lol!

They're gonna take off like mad now. This is one of my favorite stages of development, when they get all full before they start blooming. Nothing beats plants full of buds though, correct?

Back
Top Bottom