Anybody here pull 8 oz+ per plant in soil?

Hiya BB - yes, Durban Poison in a greenhouse, it almost lifted the greenhouse off its foundations
I'm not kidding, it was about 8ft round and 10 ft high
Got hit by Red Spider Mites tho which pretty much ruined the bud
I prefer small SOG in my tent these days
I'm thinking of growing Durban Poison next grow season due to having to grow a low odour strain in one of my spots for stealth reasons. Did it have much odour?, and did you get it from Dutch Passion?

I think I got my supplies together for the comparison grows. Just got to wait on the "AURORA INDICA" to get big enough to take enough clones. You don't want to grow this strain Phillybonker if you're worried about smell. 1 of these plants made my house reek ! I can just imagine what 6 will be like during the comparison grow.... lol. It doesn't lose any smell during the cure either.... just gets stronger.
14-169                  3-13-22.JPG

Before lights had dimmer switches I kept my lights higher. But with dimmer switches & a Lux Meter I see no reason for it. You can keep your light at 12" above canopy & adjust the dimmer switch to the correct Lux / PAR. Light up high means you have to turn the brightness up to get the proper Lux reading. In turn you increase your electric bill. At 12" above canopy I can run my light on 35 - 40% & get 40,000 Lux. It also keeps the node spacing tight for bigger colas.
Increase electric bill?? How much would that savings be really??
I'm gonna say minimal at best.

I've got solar power too so its not even an issue for me.

I'm not gonna risk dropping something (a lamp) down on plants so raising lowering it out of the question with plants growing. That and its a pain in the ass raising lowering lamps and measuring LUX/PAR. Most of my plants are at the lights (vertical grow here) so it's a moot point really. I've never seen a difference same strain different heights under same lighting after harvest trim cure... its all the same.

You can fine tune thats all good, Im in the LITFA school of thought definitely not moving lamps unless they have a malfunction. Also the lamps are most efficient running full power. That is where my question on electricity savings comes in.

Take a look at some voltage/efficiency graphs for the lamp (diodes) in question. Also different voltages also changes the wavelength curves. Are we getting the designed wavelengths at the dimmed down voltage? I haven't seem too many graphs on lighting at different voltages (dimmed vs full power).

Increase electric bill?? How much would that savings be really??
I'm gonna say minimal at best.

I've got solar power too so its not even an issue for me.

I'm not gonna risk dropping something (a lamp) down on plants so raising lowering it out of the question with plants growing. That and its a pain in the ass raising lowering lamps and measuring LUX/PAR. Most of my plants are at the lights (vertical grow here) so it's a moot point really. I've never seen a difference same strain different heights under same lighting after harvest trim cure... its all the same.

You can fine tune thats all good, Im in the LITFA school of thought definitely not moving lamps unless they have a malfunction. Also the lamps are most efficient running full power. That is where my question on electricity savings comes in.

Take a look at some voltage/efficiency graphs for the lamp (diodes) in question. Also different voltages also changes the wavelength curves. Are we getting the designed wavelengths at the dimmed down voltage? I haven't seem too many graphs on lighting at different voltages (dimmed vs full power).
I got the info on doing this with my lights from In The Shed & he grows some pretty nice looking plants this way. I don't know jack about wavelengths & all so can't comment on that.
This is my first grow trying this out & well,.... I wont say it's going as well as I had hoped. Whether or not it's because of the light,... I don't know. I have too many variables this grow trying some things out.

Well I decided I better get some smaller Self Wicking Pots for the comparison grow so I ordered 6" = 1.6 Qt. & 10" = 2 gal. I ordered 2 of each as they are a little pricey. But this will allow me to up-pot accordingly. Here's pics of what I ordered. Both the 6" & 10" look the same, just different sizes.
14-220               Self Wicking - Self Airating  Pots       3-20-22.jpg
14-221                   3-20-22.jpg
14-222                  3-20-22.jpg

Well I decided I better get some smaller Self Wicking Pots for the comparison grow so I ordered 6" = 1.6 Qt. & 10" = 2 gal. I ordered 2 of each as they are a little pricey. But this will allow me to up-pot accordingly. Here's pics of what I ordered. Both the 6" & 10" look the same, just different sizes.
14-220               Self Wicking - Self Airating  Pots       3-20-22.jpg
14-221                   3-20-22.jpg
14-222                  3-20-22.jpg
Why not go with an Earthbox if you want self watering?
Its a 7gal rectangle with a black stretchy plastic mulch cover.
Just add worms, a few rove beetles, top dress every couple weeks.

I'm thinking of growing Durban Poison next grow season due to having to grow a low odour strain in one of my spots for stealth reasons. Did it have much odour?, and did you get it from Dutch Passion?
Hi PB - sorry, only just seen your reply
Yes, Dutch Passion and no, It doesn't reek like Cheese or Skunk, it has quite a floral/aniseed waft to it
It is without doubt the largest plant I have ever grown and that was in yard dirt

How long did it take to finish flowering?

What would you estimate the THC level?
About 12 weeks but she would have easily gone another 2-3 weeks because I don't wait for much amber
No clue on the THC but it struck me as quite a trippy hit

About 12 weeks but she would have easily gone another 2-3 weeks because I don't wait for much amber
No clue on the THC but it struck me as quite a trippy hit
Damn that's a long flowering time although not unexpected for a sativa. I can only grow strains that finish in 8-9 weeks because of the climate I grow in.

My hunt for a low odor strain continues, lucky I have time on my side.

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

Sorry folks can't grow outside. Been on the fence about outdoor growing lately.

Outside in fifty gallon holes with solid/natural soil averaging a pound a plant is pretty doable.
I find outside the bigger the plant; the bigger the problems.

Generally outside I prefer to shoot for four to six ounce plants, especially with gorilla grows.

Pretty much clipped a few fan leaves and pushed the branches down fairly low maintenance plant.

I agree, Farmer. I put mine out too early and had to crop the tops. Too tall for a sub-urban grow, bro! lol

IMG_20220828_C&J.jpg

That was at 7 feet, they are now close to 10 but 2 weeks into flower. Hope the stretch has stopped.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom