Anybody here pull 8 oz+ per plant in soil?

Go higher with your plants - try not topping and just LST - supercrop. Raise your lamp to the ceiling. Vertical growing is how I got almost a # 1 plant but you got it crowded in there.

I only grow 4 plants/5x5 space. I don't get too hung up on canopy evenness unless its all clones from the same plant and they just get the same height without much fuss.

I'm always growing perpetual so half my flowers are different ages. Thats so I dont get tied to the trim table for a week. Got other things to do.

Looks like 9 plants there?? That would be 2-2.5#s for me. Give them some more open space between plants so you get more light on the plants.

You gotta great setup there, super clean too which is important. I'd spread them out more and maybe add another lamp for the extra space something like a 300w HLG or something like that for size.

Looks like you're in a 4x8 or 5x10 I only grow 8 in that space and use the whole room with 1500w - get all the extra equipment out. The thing with lighting and plant count you're only going to get so much yield/watt... adding more plants wont add mass. They crowd each other for light and compete for space making them all a little bit smaller.
That was my last grow. I did get over 40 oz. from it. My current grow is only 4 plants. I'm looking to pull that same 40 oz. with 4 to 5 plants. 9 plants are too many to deal with. Even 30 - 32 oz. would be fine & what I'd consider a decent grow.

Hate to be that guy but kinda sounds like a gimmick to me, can you put 5 or 10 gallons in the reservoir? A 5 gallon bucket of soil will hold about 2 gallons of water all by itself which will get you 3 days between waterings at a min, a week or more in the beginning. Is a self wick system really necessary?

Any self wick or self watering buckets I have used in the past have not held enough water to make it worthwhile to use... they actually seem to dry faster due to the loss of the soil in the reservoir cavity. I've only ever used cheapies though.

Just my 2 cent
No, only a gallon of water. I thought the same thing... Gimmick. But after seeing 3 growers using them & getting big plants with good yields I figure why not try it. It's only a $100 investment so not a great big loss if I don't like it.
My plan is to take 4 clones from one of my plants. 1 will be done in a bucket & 1 the usual way in 5 gal fabric pots with Mega Crop Calculations. 1 will be done in a bucket & 1 the usual way in 5 gal. bags with Super Soil in the bottom 3rd.
So 4 clones from the same plant grown 4 different ways to compare the results.

No, only a gallon of water. I thought the same thing... Gimmick. But after seeing 3 growers using them & getting big plants with good yields I figure why not try it. It's only a $100 investment so not a great big loss if I don't like it.
My plan is to take 4 clones from one of my plants. 1 will be done in a bucket & 1 the usual way in 5 gal fabric pots with Mega Crop Calculations. 1 will be done in a bucket & 1 the usual way in 5 gal. bags with Super Soil in the bottom 3rd.
The Rev goes on in the book how he loves these pots. Self watering he calls them and 3 gallons is his go to in 3 x 3 tents. I mean on and on! Haven't tried em myself.

That'll be a neat experiment!

Already ordered a set of 3 grow bucket inserts. Hydroton or Perlite ? The Bucket instructions say Perlite; but maybe the pebbles are better. I'm not sure which way to go.
I've done something similar in clay pebbles and had problems supporting the plant but then I didn't use a scrog net
If I ever tried it again, I would use Perlite - besides, the instructions say Perlite!

Coast of Maine = $36 for 1.5 cu. yds. / SoHum = $47 for 1.5 cu. yds.
Which one is better ?
Not sure about the Coast of Maine, since never used it.

I pulled a pound outside with one girl using two bags of Sohum.

You could probably amend it with your perlite and/or Promix.

@Jon could probably give you a better scoop on growing with Sohum.

Not sure about the Coast of Maine, since never used it.

I pulled a pound outside with one girl using two bags of Sohum.

You could probably amend it with your perlite and/or Promix.

@Jon could probably give you a better scoop on growing with Sohum.
I think @Emilya said I could use the SoHum in the bottom 3rd of the pot & use FFOF for the remainder. Not sure though so hope she replies to verify.
The perlite in the bottom is to stop the soil from going into the water I think ?
So there would only be Perlite around the insert itself.
Never used Pro Mix. Hope it's nothing like Bio-Biz if I do. My plants die every time in Bio-Biz.

I was going to suggest a side by side. You could fill the reservoir every day or every other day but kinda defeats the purpose of self watering to me as I can also do the same with soil.

Good luck!

I was going to suggest a side by side. You could fill the reservoir every day or every other day but kinda defeats the purpose of self watering to me as I can also do the same with soil.

Good luck!
I've been skeptical about it myself for several years. I keep seeing others hitting home runs doing it though. The cost is fairly cheap to give it a try; so I figured .... Why not ?

Go higher with your plants - try not topping and just LST - supercrop. Raise your lamp to the ceiling. Vertical growing is how I got almost a # 1 plant but you got it crowded in there.
@bobrown14 you said something that very much raised my curiosity. You mentioned "Raise your lamp to the ceiling".

It has always been my method to set the lamps to the mfg recommendations. In my case I have 2 @Mars Hydro sp150's in a 2x2. I keep the height above the canopy at 18" in early stages and let them grow into 12" and maintain the 12" for the entire grow. That has been a successful method for me. But you made me think about how plants follow the light. Maybe during the stretch phase we raise the light to force the plants to seek what they desire. Maybe the plants will stretch more?? Once the stretch is complete maintain a 12" height to stack the buds. Is this what you are referring to? Am I bat shit crazy with this logic?? I would love to hear everyone's method here.

Yup I have a 84" ceiling in my flower room and my lamps are pinned to the top at ~80"

I regularly have plant tops right at the lights. I'll tie them back away so no burning takes place.

Also have air extraction from above the lamps out the ceiling to remove excess heat that may build up and 9" fans on the power supplies above the lamp fixtures.

Size/height of plants is really determined by genetics.

What I'm seeing a lot of lately with hybrids that they are being selected for lower bush shaped plants. When we top a plant that is genetically selected for a bushy shape we are making a short plant even shorter. I steer clear of those genetics and can sort that out in VEG.

promix hp and 4 beer cups of perlite per 7 gallon bag x 4 in a 5x5 tent with a HLG Scorpion Diablo gave me 33oz16g . strain was a slightly above avg. yielder , Nirvana's Original Glue. quality of bud was exceptional too , outta the 4 plants there was 3 different phenos , not complaining though just stating facts. overall was a great grow with great results !

@bobrown14 you said something that very much raised my curiosity. You mentioned "Raise your lamp to the ceiling".

It has always been my method to set the lamps to the mfg recommendations. In my case I have 2 @Mars Hydro sp150's in a 2x2. I keep the height above the canopy at 18" in early stages and let them grow into 12" and maintain the 12" for the entire grow. That has been a successful method for me. But you made me think about how plants follow the light. Maybe during the stretch phase we raise the light to force the plants to seek what they desire. Maybe the plants will stretch more?? Once the stretch is complete maintain a 12" height to stack the buds. Is this what you are referring to? Am I bat shit crazy with this logic?? I would love to hear everyone's method here.
Before lights had dimmer switches I kept my lights higher. But with dimmer switches & a Lux Meter I see no reason for it. You can keep your light at 12" above canopy & adjust the dimmer switch to the correct Lux / PAR. Light up high means you have to turn the brightness up to get the proper Lux reading. In turn you increase your electric bill. At 12" above canopy I can run my light on 35 - 40% & get 40,000 Lux. It also keeps the node spacing tight for bigger colas.

Grow Bucket Inserts are suppose to arrive tomorrow. SoHum Soil on Sunday or Monday through Zon. Getting all the requirements together. Picked up some Clonex Gel from the Hydro store too. Already have 3 bags of FFOF. Have to dig my cloning bubbler out this weekend. Wont be too long till I get these comparisons growing.
I really do wonder if pot size makes a difference on how things grow. For instance, you start 2 plants in Solo Cups. 1 you up-pot to your usual 2 gal. plastic pot which is about 10" - 11" tall & 8" - 9" wide. The other you up-pot to a Shallower but wider pot. I've heard a Shallower, wider pot will make a plant grow out sideways more & stay shorter.
Don't know if it's true.

Back
Top Bottom