Anybody here pull 8 oz+ per plant in soil?

Longer veg time mate!!
How long you vegin for?
My normal Veg time is about 8 weeks. My last grow in 7 gal. pots I vegged almost 12 weeks. Still got 5-6 oz. per plant.
I usually grow Indica's or Indica Dominant Hybrids. Only, rarely grow a Sativa. I'm currently growing 1 Sativa Dominant Hybrid (POP TARTS) which is 70/30 & says 18% - 23% THC & 2% - 7% CBD. I guess I'll pay attention to the difference in yield between Sativa & Indica this grow.

Maybe look at strains mate. This plant was 336g in soil indoors. As you can see it's very sativa heavy. Most others I was growing were more indica so was around the 170g to 190g
20210116_095759.jpg
20210116_095759.jpg
20210122_223619.jpg
Lol. That second pic. I think you’ve posted these a lot over the years? :Namaste::goodjob:

I see those giant nugs everywhere lol. Really nice btw!!!!

My normal Veg time is about 8 weeks. My last grow in 7 gal. pots I vegged almost 12 weeks. Still got 5-6 oz. per plant.
I usually grow Indica's or Indica Dominant Hybrids. Only, rarely grow a Sativa. I'm currently growing 1 Sativa Dominant Hybrid (POP TARTS) which is 70/30 & says 18% - 23% THC & 2% - 7% CBD. I guess I'll pay attention to the difference in yield between Sativa & Indica this grow.
Well that plays a small part...indica nugs will be denser and heavier...sativa tends to be more fluffy and airy. Did you notice any difference between the seed banks in terms of growth/buds?

You can and will def stunt them if you do too much training and defol. All about when you do it too, I think that is the most important part rather than how much you do

I noticed a big difference in yield vegging under my flowering light until the canopy covered 3/4 of the area depending stain.
Use to transplant in 4x2 and throw them in the 5x5 (12/12)and didn't yield as much. I lose 2 weeks in my 5x5 vegging instead of flowering but yield makes up for it.
My biggest plant been 12 zips. Definitely can do better with this light.

Heres my tent right before flip-4 plants
20220123_122306.jpg

39 days in flower now, hoping for 8 zips a plant
20220302_114143.jpg

Sorry about the writing on pic, helps me remember..lol

Hey Buds! I get 8 often enough and 13 is my high. Mr Brown said the magic words. Finding cultivars that will do it! Of course conditions have to be there too. I run The Rev's True Living Soil. I veg for 65 to 75 days usually. And as Nunya mentioned having colas in the 20's at the top in the canopy will do it. Some just won't.

I agree with you that space limits your grow.

pulling 2 lbs from a 4 x 4 is asking a bit. you'd have to concentrate on genetics to make it.

So in your opinion, do you think my bad Defol. & Topping habits play a part in smaller yields ?

no. a good topping and training approach would be central. the only other way to get there would be a greenhouse type scenario where the plant could grow naturally to it's full potential.

pulling 2 lbs from a 4 x 4 is asking a bit. you'd have to concentrate on genetics to make it.

no. a good topping and training approach would be central. the only other way to get there would be a greenhouse type scenario where the plant could grow naturally to it's full potential.
I've done 9 plants in 3 gal. pots in a 4x4 & pulled over 40 oz. Sucked dealing with that many plants though. I'm going to try Super Soil & Self Wicking Buckets. I'm curious what that combo will do.

I've done 9 plants in 3 gal. pots in a 4x4 & pulled over 40 oz. Sucked dealing with that many plants though. I'm going to try Super Soil & Self Wicking Buckets. I'm curious what that combo will do.

not entirely a fan of self wicking / watering. the bottom of the roots never really hit a dry in them.

I've always felt the same as you. But willing to try it anyway after seeing others get great yields that way.

they seem to either struggle all the way through or hit it out of the park. there's piles of people who swear by them. it's good to try something new.

As you can see in this pic, the one time I had a good harvest my Temps & RH were out of Whack. The 82F was on a good day. It got even hotter than that. These plants were all between 9 - 11 oz. I've never been able to repeat this & it's driving me crazy trying. This grow was done in a small closet with only an exhaust fan & humidifier. I'm really starting to believe that all that VPD stuff is total B.S. ! My yields should have increased with the proper VPD; not decrease. That was about a 2-lb. grow with only 3 plants. That is was I'm looking to do every grow.
The way I see it is in terms of how much it costs me to grow it. My time is figured into that equation along with the Electric ($200 per mo. x 4 months=$800), Nutes = $100, Soil $80 + Misc. $100. So I figure it's costing me over $1500 per grow. 4 Plants at 4-6 oz. each doesn't cut it for that cost. For $500 more I can buy from a dispensary & not have to do anything. So I'm trying to make growing worth the time, effort & cost. Right now, things aren't profitable enough weed wise for me. I don't want to sell any. I do want to harvest enough each grow that I only have to do 2 grows per year (4 months ea.) & have 4 months of free time to just enjoy my smoke without growing at the same time. I want to be able to do it with 4-5 plants max. I see others with a lot less experience than me do it all the time so it can be done.
Constantly growing is burning me out on it.

1646518713173.png

I'm wondering if there's anyone on this site who pulls 8 oz. per plant repeatedly growing in soil ?
I just pulled 8.8 oz from a single plant in a 5 gallon fabric pot. Wasn't soil exactly as it was promix BX and chemical additives. Veg time was about 2-4 weeks once the clone rooted and then it went straight into 12/12 with only the top removed to promote branching. Once bud set began I also removed all the lower shoots from the main branches (the ones coming off the trunk). I usually take off low shoots to make it easy to water then top so that I have 6-8 nice main shoots coming off the trunk. 5 gallons pots should be all you need to pull 8 oz if you are dialed in right, about as big as you want in an indoor grow in my opinion as it gets hard to keep all that plant lit up.

All my weight was thoroughly dried, trimmed and ready to break up and smoke. You should also check out Mochabud's journals as he grows in 5 gallon pots and usually gets 8 oz per plant. He also grows in FFOF and uses FF nutrients.

All my weight was thoroughly dried, trimmed and ready to break up and smoke. You should also check out Mochabud's journals as he grows in 5 gallon pots and usually gets 8 oz per plant. He also grows in FFOF and uses FF nutrients.
I know Mocha very well. He uses HPS & not LED. Big difference in the two. So far out of all the answers I've received I'd say I think that the way Krissi is doing it is closest to the way I currently grow. For that reason it seems like it would be the easiest for me to adapt to. Lot's of great posts & ideas for sure. But something keeps tugging at me & saying use the self wicking buckets with Super Soil in the bottom third of the pot. Would cost me less than $100 to change to that method so gotta give it a try. A friend of mine uses them so I'm getting one of his buckets tomorrow to try out. Going to clone 1 of my plants & take the 2 clones & grow one in the bucket & one my normal way to compare. Only way to know for sure.

So is there a limit in soil to the topping and vegging width you can do? Soil is too much mystery to me with under/over watering/feeding and the pest issues that look to go with it as well, but can't you branch and train out the same in soil as hydro?
I understand slower growth in soil so maybe it's just an extra week/2/3 more vs hydro for the same? These were in 5gallon buckets sure, but if you vegged/lst'd and topped and got it to as many tops, wouldn't you still produce quite a bit more?

plants.jpg

So is there a limit in soil to the topping and vegging width you can do? Soil is too much mystery to me with under/over watering/feeding and the pest issues that look to go with it as well, but can't you branch and train out the same in soil as hydro?
I understand slower growth in soil so maybe it's just an extra week/2/3 more vs hydro for the same? These were in 5gallon buckets sure, but if you vegged/lst'd and topped and got it to as many tops, wouldn't you still produce quite a bit more?

plants.jpg
No real limits other than grow space. It's the week of recovery time each time you top that slows things down a lot.
For a while now I've topped between the 4th & 5th node & completely cut off the bottom 2 nodes; leaving 4 nodes to grow out. Once the 4 branches grew 3 nodes each I'd top all 4 branches, which gave me 8 branches to train. It sure seems to slow the growth each time I top.
I had a Peyote Wi Fi like the one in the pics. Could not keep the branches off the ground. One day it fell over & broke a bunch of branches so I ended up harvesting early.

I've topped, LST, Super Crop & even vegged 3 months in a 7 gal. pot. Still 5-6 oz. per plant. I get about the same yields in 3, 5 & 7 gal. pots. Not much difference at all.
I think I keep a fairly even canopy.
12-320.JPG
12-321.JPG
Go higher with your plants - try not topping and just LST - supercrop. Raise your lamp to the ceiling. Vertical growing is how I got almost a # 1 plant but you got it crowded in there.

I only grow 4 plants/5x5 space. I don't get too hung up on canopy evenness unless its all clones from the same plant and they just get the same height without much fuss.

I'm always growing perpetual so half my flowers are different ages. Thats so I dont get tied to the trim table for a week. Got other things to do.

Looks like 9 plants there?? That would be 2-2.5#s for me. Give them some more open space between plants so you get more light on the plants.

You gotta great setup there, super clean too which is important. I'd spread them out more and maybe add another lamp for the extra space something like a 300w HLG or something like that for size.

Looks like you're in a 4x8 or 5x10 I only grow 8 in that space and use the whole room with 1500w - get all the extra equipment out. The thing with lighting and plant count you're only going to get so much yield/watt... adding more plants wont add mass. They crowd each other for light and compete for space making them all a little bit smaller.

IF you run buckets with btm water you have to put 2-3" of just clay pebbles in the btm or your soil will go anaerobic. That will kill you plants.

But something keeps tugging at me & saying use the self wicking buckets
Hate to be that guy but kinda sounds like a gimmick to me, can you put 5 or 10 gallons in the reservoir? A 5 gallon bucket of soil will hold about 2 gallons of water all by itself which will get you 3 days between waterings at a min, a week or more in the beginning. Is a self wick system really necessary?

Any self wick or self watering buckets I have used in the past have not held enough water to make it worthwhile to use... they actually seem to dry faster due to the loss of the soil in the reservoir cavity. I've only ever used cheapies though.

Just my 2 cent

Back
Top Bottom