Aphoric's Hog / Trainwreck / Hindu Kush First Grow 2009

aphoric

Background
I became a Colorado MMJ patient this summer, and have been itching to get growing, and finally got everything into place. Currently I am using a 4x4x6 tent that I made out of 1x3's and lined with panda plastic. Before this grow is complete, I will have to move it to my new, 6x18' space in the basement. That should be fun.

Strains
I got two each of Trainwreck, Hog, and Hindu Kush clones that have about an inch of root. Was planning on keeping 3 as mothers, but I can get more clones next time as well, so I am letting them flower.

Hardware
Light: 600w A/C HPS Super, digital ballast
Exhaust Fan: Can Fan 6" HO with thermostat and speed controller
Odor Control: big carbon filter (can fan?)
Soil: 1/3 Fox Farm Ocean Forest, 1/3 chunky pearlite, 1/3 light warrior

Conditions
PH: 6.8
Temp: 71-74 day, 67-70 night
Humidity: 48%-58% (hard to keep it consistent in this dry air) outside is 24%
Photoperiod: 7pm-1pm light (18 hours)

Day 1:
Yesterday, 10/12 I transplanted the 6 aero clones into 1 gallon containers with expanded clay at the bottom for drainage. I have run several days of testing and had a lot of consistency, even though I just had basil in there. Of course last night I popped the breaker 3 times. Hopefully this does not screw them up. This morning I put a hole in the wall to pull power off another circuit. I am afraid of losing fans while the light cooks everything, so light and fan are on the same circuit.

Overview
IMG_07295.jpg

Hog, Plant #1
DSC_8256.jpg

Hog, Plant #2
DSC_8257.jpg

Hindu Kush, Plant #3
DSC_8259.jpg

Hindu Kush, Plant #4
DSC_8260.jpg

Trainwreck, Plant #5
DSC_8261.jpg

Trainwreck, Plant #6
DSC_8262.jpg

The Plan
I have about 3 weeks before I move to the bigger space in the basement. I have a Bento database set up to keep a grow log (if I can stay focused on logging), and I can add entries on my iPhone. After the move, I plan on setting up a ScrOG to maximize yield. I have kept Orchids for years, but I think it's just luck, hopefully it transfers to this endeavor.

Re: Aphoric's Hog/Trainwreck/Hindu Kush first grow 2009

They are about 3.5 ft from the light, and there is a circulation fan blowing on them. The place I got them told me that they put them right under the HPS 1000's and they do fine. I was not totally sure about that, but the leaves that were soft have perked up in 24 hrs. Crossing my fingers here...

I love that peppery taste!

They are about 3.5 ft from the light, and there is a circulation fan blowing on them. The place I got them told me that they put them right under the HPS 1000's and they do fine. I was not totally sure about that, but the leaves that were soft have perked up in 24 hrs. Crossing my fingers here...

I love that peppery taste!

I grew from clones too.....had them under T5's for about a week, with the lights really close, then under the 1000 watt MH, light about 2 feet away, with AC on and a fan blowing cold air on the light and on the plants.

Mine didn't burn, but I hear about other people frying them all the time. Keep a close eye and grow those bitches!

Looks like they are doing OK under the HPS. I was misting them a little for the first few days after transplanting to try and get humidity up and roots down. Temp range is 71˚-73˚, humidity at 38%. I am thinking about ordering an LED lamp for my new room, which should be done in 3 weeks. I will be adding 2-4 patients at that time as well, so more lights will have to fill in that space.

Been playing with my wife's DSLR and a 60mm macro lens. Definitely have to shoot RAW to get the white balance correct. Anyone have magnifying lenses or teleconverters that they use?

Some of the leaves are lighter in the center and towards the stem than the edges, is that normal, or a possible N deficiency?

Group Photo
DSC_8416.jpg

Hindu Kush
DSC_8414.jpg

Trainwreck
DSC_8412.jpg

I am seeing some noticeable growth overnight now, so I dropped the light to 24", and I think I will go to 20" tomorrow if everything looks good. At 24" I checked leaf temps with an IR thermometer (no contact thermometer) and got a max of 74.8, while room temp is 77. The leaves are a uniform, deep green now, 2 days after I stopped misting the clones. Tomorrow is 7 days since dropping them in soil, I'll post pics when there are bigger changes.

Morning of day 12 of veg. One Trainwreck and both Hindu Kush are at 10". All plants have roots showing at the drain holes, and roots at the edge of the 1g pots within an inch of the surface. The light is 16" from the top of the tall plants, with a max leaf temp of 76˚, room temp between 71˚ and 78˚. Been doing plain PH'ed water

I plan on taking clones and transplanting within a week, a few days apart. Any recommendation to which I should do first? Once they recover, they are going to 12/12 with the intent of having a continuous harvest without having to keep mothers.

The Hindu Kush in the back right by the fan seems to be light and droopy, am I just being a plant hypochondriac?

DSC_8484.jpg

I plan on taking clones and transplanting within a week, a few days apart. Any recommendation to which I should do first? Once they recover, they are going to 12/12 with the intent of having a continuous harvest without having to keep mothers.

The Hindu Kush in the back right by the fan seems to be light and droopy, am I just being a plant hypochondriac?

DSC_8484.jpg

Looking good so far. Your soil mix tells me you are a grower. With your skills transplant shock should be a minor problem. Take the clones when the plants are ready and then transplant. Could be over watering on the one plant.
Much Luck to ya. :peace:

They are looking nice and healthy, I am a new grower but over watering could be the problem. How tall are they? You were thinking of using an LED for your flower room. What have you decided? I am building my flower room too and using LEDs for it. I am using UFO's right now which are great for veg but I better LED's for flowering.

Thanks for the help guys. I just started watering daily because I was afraid of it getting too dry. The tall ones are at 10" right now. This is my first grow that I have done myself. I have a moisture meter, how low should I let it go?

Oh yeah... LED's! I got 2 weeks or so until I move into my big room, so I gotta get more lights on order tomorrow. I am hopeful about the Hydro Grow LED's, I am going to order one tomorrow (on the phone) and see how it does. I can't see filling the room with 1000's

OK, now I am starting to panic. The three tall plants are continuing to look yellow, with folded and drooping leaves. The shorter ones are really bushy with slight leaf folding, but no drooping. I watered one tall and one short to see if that makes them look different than the rest. Doesn't seem to be a difference yet. How long does it take to start seeing recovery in overwatered plants? Does it happen when the plant is dry, or do I have to keep watering, just less? Moisture meter reads at 2-3 on a scale to 10 (I think it's to 10).

Here's more info, in case it could be something else.
Air temps: 70-76˚
Leaf temps: <78˚
Light distance: 14" (air cooled light, leaf temps seem well within range)
Soil PH: 6.9 last time I measured, will measure again when I can get soil soaked
Water PH: 7.0

Any other info needed? I can post new pics, but the last ones posted are pretty much what they look like. There seems to be no change between the 2 I watered and the 4 I didn't, definitely can feel a huge weight difference. Could it be some kind of nute lockout?

In other news, I ordered a 1500ml/hr fogger that will be here Thursday, but I won't be able to take clones if these girls don't perk up.

Thanks for the kind words, I do not feel like I have this under control right now!
Humidity: 37-55%

This morning I watered the back left and front left plants. The moisture meter is in one that was not watered. I wondering how long it should take to see a difference, if overwatering really was the problem, or if a correction is not seen after x hours, then start looking at other factors? Is a flush a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom