Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

I plan on mounting mine with a piece of foam between to absorb vibrations
I got a speed controller ..and on med I'm its not louder than my house fan on medium.. But on full blast its like a jet engine..the jump from one to the other is big.. So maybe that's an option for ha. Maybe yours on medium will do its job and do it a lot quieter.

I got a speed controller ..and on med I'm its not louder than my house fan on medium.. But on full blast its like a jet engine..the jump from one to the other is big.. So maybe that's an option for ha. Maybe yours on medium will do its job and do it a lot quieter.
First time i got my inline fan i just plugged it in without the speed controller, i was like "HF...thats loud" the wife "Wtf was that❗❗❗"

UPS just showed up. I feel like it's Christmas already lol

What's the best way to mount or hang this so I don't hear it through the whole house??

420-magazine-mobile1430789551.jpg

Ive got a 8" exhaust fan thats mounted to a board/shelf on the wall 6' high, so I can walk under it. It keeps everything in a strait line too. Ive got insulated pipe coming and going from the fan. Im not sure if the insulated pipe helps. My fan is left on high always. After its been running a few minutes the sound level offs and with the door closed you can barley hear it. It seems the fan is just as loud on med as on high. Every time I walk under my fan I think how smart I was to research my set up before install. Everyone who sees says how professional it is! My trim buddys brothers first comment was on the tarp on the floor. Fuck yea, protect the house most important. The best advice I can give you on the fan noise is get used to it. No turning back now!!!

I use FF ocean forest that has perlite. Ive thought of rocks on the bottom of the pot too but havent done it yet. No need! Works just great with the FF mix. As far as always feeding from the bottom, I dont know, I wouldent do it. You dont want the dirt to soak Im guessing. The liquid gets it wet as it runs through is better. Also read about "the best way to water a potted plant" Basically you water the edge of the pot. Makes the roots search which causes growth.

I cannot stress this enough................... Dont over water. So easy to habit the over water. Most common mistake made. I get a pot the same size with no plant that is dried out to see what the weight of the dry pot feels like. So I know when the planted one is close. 2" deep is not dry enough with the finger bang test. Important...... A pot plant needs to dry out COMPLETELY before next water. The best way to accomplish this is to wait for the plant to START to droop. A very drooped plant is better than overwatering. She will bounce back with vengeance after droop.
Heres my fan set up. I fixed the crimp in the pipe with clipping the extra together. 1 yr later its bad ass! and on its 3rd run!
20160730_172546.jpg
20160730_172546.jpg
20160730_172945.jpg
20160730_172726.jpg
20160801_102410.jpg
20160801_102359.jpg
20160722_135433.jpg

My screen name. Spoiled girl!!!!
20160526_164940.jpg

Great day 420

3 weeks old
was using wrong ph pen
flushed them out more than 5 times in last 2 weeks
flushed last night with new ph pen and at 6.0
then after flush feed them half nutes at 5.9
cant seem to get the ph back to 5.8-6.2 range
i have no pen to check the soil
should i wait it out and in a week the ph will come back?
please help me!
what can i do?

Their definitely showing signs of over water.

Yep - i recently learned about the joys of not watering. As a new to indoor (and in pots) grower I watered a bit too much the first week 'till some good folk here helped me to stop! I then gritted my teeth a bit for the first 10 days, the second 10 days had me in raptures as she looked better and better everyday. Finally at about 20 days she wilted a bit and the underside of the cloth pot was totally dry - gave a soaking then. I won't water again until she wilts a very little.

ECG is totally correct. Recovery from fully wilting is easily possible, drowning from overwatering is likely.

And don't worry if you think they're not growing much at first - a whole lot in happening at the foundational level below the soil surface, roots! They need things to dry out.

I'm starting to be able notice the difference between the 'too wet' droop, and the 'needs water' wilt.

You're plants look fine. Great even (apart from a little water weary). .

Challenge yourself - how long can you go without watering them? I bet they can go longer than you!! .

For those who SCROG, once you've flipped to flower how long do you usually continue to tuck?
2 different strains, ones an Indica dominate 80/20 and ones an 80/20 Sativa, I expect a lot of growth out of the Sativa because I did veg them for quite a while

For those who SCROG, once you've flipped to flower how long do you usually continue to tuck?
2 different strains, ones an Indica dominate 80/20 and ones an 80/20 Sativa, I expect a lot of growth out of the Sativa because I did veg them for quite a while
From what I have read it's till are your bud sites are properly spread out as much as possible

Ive got a 8" exhaust fan thats mounted to a board/shelf on the wall 6' high, so I can walk under it. It keeps everything in a strait line too. Ive got insulated pipe coming and going from the fan. Im not sure if the insulated pipe helps. My fan is left on high always. After its been running a few minutes the sound level offs and with the door closed you can barley hear it. It seems the fan is just as loud on med as on high. Every time I walk under my fan I think how smart I was to research my set up before install. Everyone who sees says how professional it is! My trim buddys brothers first comment was on the tarp on the floor. Fuck yea, protect the house most important. The best advice I can give you on the fan noise is get used to it. No turning back now!!!

I use FF ocean forest that has perlite. Ive thought of rocks on the bottom of the pot too but havent done it yet. No need! Works just great with the FF mix. As far as always feeding from the bottom, I dont know, I wouldent do it. You dont want the dirt to soak Im guessing. The liquid gets it wet as it runs through is better. Also read about "the best way to water a potted plant" Basically you water the edge of the pot. Makes the roots search which causes growth.

I cannot stress this enough................... Dont over water. So easy to habit the over water. Most common mistake made. I get a pot the same size with no plant that is dried out to see what the weight of the dry pot feels like. So I know when the planted one is close. 2" deep is not dry enough with the finger bang test. Important...... A pot plant needs to dry out COMPLETELY before next water. The best way to accomplish this is to wait for the plant to START to droop. A very drooped plant is better than overwatering. She will bounce back with vengeance after droop.
Heres my fan set up. I fixed the crimp in the pipe with clipping the extra together. 1 yr later its bad ass! and on its 3rd run!
20160730_172546.jpg
20160730_172546.jpg
20160730_172945.jpg
20160730_172726.jpg
20160801_102410.jpg
20160801_102359.jpg
20160722_135433.jpg

My screen name. Spoiled girl!!!!
20160526_164940.jpg

Great day 420
So yours is on that shelf?

I was considering mounting it to the 2x4 wall of my flower room or hanging it from the ceiling.
I was thinking about hanging it with thick ass bungee cords from the ceiling to absorb the vibration. The room is fully insulated. I'll see what I can MacGyver tomorrow.

Do fingers on a fan leaf mean anything?
This one has 11 but some of them have 9
420-magazine-mobile1614005227.jpg
11 is many. But quite common. Have seen 13.

Anyone ever seen more than 13?

It's amazing. I have found plant I forgot to water for a long time. Especially the ones in one liter pots (I use those to store genetics for a longer period of time in a tiny closet) I have several times found plants that looked completely dead or very close to dead. Then I water them and a few days later they're good as new. It's so much harder to save an overwatered plant

Yep - i recently learned about the joys of not watering. As a new to indoor (and in pots) grower I watered a bit too much the first week 'till some good folk here helped me to stop! I then gritted my teeth a bit for the first 10 days, the second 10 days had me in raptures as she looked better and better everyday. Finally at about 20 days she wilted a bit and the underside of the cloth pot was totally dry - gave a soaking then. I won't water again until she wilts a very little.

ECG is totally correct. Recovery from fully wilting is easily possible, drowning from overwatering is likely.

And don't worry if you think they're not growing much at first - a whole lot in happening at the foundational level below the soil surface, roots! They need things to dry out.

I'm starting to be able notice the difference between the 'too wet' droop, and the 'needs water' wilt.

You're plants look fine. Great even (apart from a little water weary). .

Challenge yourself - how long can you go without watering them? I bet they can go longer than you!! .

One of my amnesia Haze had 13. But I have seen this many times during the years on several strains. It seems they get an extra set of fingers for each new set of leaves up to the limit of 13 - perhaps if I vegged them for another few weeks I would have gotten the 15 fingers? I don't know - What I do know is that I would run out of roofspace if I did that

The NukeHead mutations have had 15 but that has yet to be seen on 420 lol

0023171.jpg

0023166.jpg

11 or 13 - not 100% sure
001_big_bud_leaf.jpg

That was some of my leaves from previous grows. That's how it look when I don't defoil. When you keep defoiling you will never see these kind of leaves - Especially not much bigger than your hand

I do have a question - I friend of mine is in desperate need of a lamp and I do have more lamps than I am using (not more than I need though). Because at the level I am growing, I need to always have at least one spare lamp in case something goes wrong. I have learned that the hard way. Even if it annoys the shit out of me to have a fancy 600 USD lamp just laying there not being used, thinking about all the buds it could produce, but as I said - I learned the hard way you need to have a spare lamp. But as I am over the critical phase of this grow, everything that could go wrong already did, so I seriously doubt something more can go wrong. I mean - I changed so many parts in these lamps, they're all as good as new now. So I feel pretty safe loaning away one lamp for a short period of time.

So to the question - I am considering to allow my friend to borrow my Mars Pro Epistar 160 as that would fit perfectly in his very tiny closet. That one perform like a 400 watt HPS and pulls almost the same from the wall during flowering.

But that also means I would have to put my spare 320 to use while my friend is saving up money for his own lamp. The 160 is now in a tent I grow 4 plants in DWC. This tent is 70x70x160. 400 watts have been perfect in this tent and I have been pretty close to a gram per watt from the harvests in that tent. The 320 is two times as strong as the 160 and I have this feeling that 800 watt is too much for that tent...

Do you think a 320 will work in this small tent or will I fry my plants? Do you think doubling the light will increase yields much? I mean - the space is still extremely limited so...

I could of course let him borrow the 320 instead, but I have a feeling we won't be able to fit it in his locker. And if it would fit there - I rather risk losing a 160 than a 320, because we all know - Never loan out anything you can not afford to lose.

Actually a friend once told me "When I loan out something I already consider it lost"

So any thoughts?

Mars Pro II Epistar 320

320_2_2.jpg

Mar Pro Epistar 160 (Not Pro II)
marspro_160.jpg

I see some companies now are starting to make lamps like the first 160 - I mean with programmable spectrum and all that. Well - I had these fancy features for 3 years already - welcome after :)

Quick question can anyone help me out I have thc worms how can I get ride of them asap please help don't want to loose my bubble gum kush

If your talking about fall caterpillars I use Safer Cat. spray. Works great. Stays on the plant about 5 days. So spray every week. I figured my ISO bath twice a week would prevent fall caterpillars but no. Ive got a mangled MK Ultra thats going today and the rest of The Banana OG. I usually start the Cat. spray last week of August till Oct.1 depending on ripeness.

DE is Diatomaceous Earth. Natural non-toxic pest control.

Not sure why you would put dish soap in you water. I would think that would be bad for pH levels.

Somebody said to add a few drops of soap as a spreader?? I think so too. Ive put a few drops in my ISO/water concoction. Ive been told to Ph your Foliar nute spray but Im not sure its necessary to PH your pest spray. Its not being absorbed by the plant.

Back
Top Bottom