Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

@Jon since you’re the auto guru I have a question. I had never heard it before, but now I’ve heard it twice from different sources this week. I read somewhere that some autos trics don’t turn amber. Then at my local hydro store, the guy said that some of the newer strains don’t turn amber. Figured I’d ask you if it’s something you’ve heard of or experienced.
Hey @Olddog Newtrick - thanks - well, to be direct, that’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. It’s not true in the least. At least if it is, I’ve never come close to seeing it. New genetics are not going to affect the basic way a pot plant develops. The trichs will always turn amber if you wait. Sometimes the clear to white window is real long, but in the end, the thc will always degrade with time and turn amber.

Hey @Olddog Newtrick - thanks - well, to be direct, that’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. It’s not true in the least. At least if it is, I’ve never come close to seeing it. New genetics are not going to affect the basic way a pot plant develops. The trichs will always turn amber if you wait. Sometimes the clear to white window is real long, but in the end, the thc will always degrade with time and turn amber.
I also think if that were true for say, a strain here and there, the breeder would likely mention it in the advertising. It’s something that would be important. Least you’d hope for that level of responsibility.

Makes perfect sense to me but, thought I’d ask you, since you have the most auto experience of anyone I’ve met.

I'm not so sure. I think never going amber would be weird as its just part of every organic thing ever. It turns to brown. See it every day.

But my Farmer buddy told me recently about of the 27 podcasts he listens to each week that some of the highest testing THC strains around at the moment have different shaped trichs.

I'll have a look back through our 1000's of messages we managed to get through for the podcast.

So shape change:

trich.jpeg

Classic trich right? Ignore the fact its super clear but it has a ball on top, right?

I can't find a picture to properly illustrate it but apparently the highest THC testing strains don't have a ball, a globe, a bulge at the top.

But they have much higher density which gives them the upwards overall tick on THC.

I haven't listen to it but we speculated that without the globe casting shade they can grow closer together, a sort of bred for attribute. I mean - it was probably just a mutation, doubt anyone set out to do it, but some people may have spotted it and bred for it.

Anyway I'll hunt out the podcast.

I think btw - me The Farmer and The Terp KIng are close on getting a podcast (not for profit/money at all) together. If Rob is OK with it, and its OK to listen to I'll put it on Vimeo.

The Terp King about to start his first real grow in Spain in Rockwool. Me and Farmer got popcorn to hand. Gonna be funny. A better smoker than grower is TTK!

Well, @con, I’m sad to say that you are seeing the last bong hit of my Double Grape. I really loved this bud. The only downside to the strain is she’s not a huge yielder (I *think* we agree?). But she’s frosty as hell, has a super interesting odor as she cures, very complex, and she smokes like a dream. Plenty strong. But she has enough sativa in her that I never got couchlock from mine. Good for pain, pretty good for creativity too, and sooooo tasty. Bye lady. You were lovely.

IMG_5509.jpeg
well thats to bad enjoy that last frosty bud, & you'll grow it again at some point maybe in coco or your super soil & try to get over 5 oz

I was scrabbling around on the floor looking for mine like the opening scene of Temple of Doom (the antidote Dr Jones) and there were like 8-10 people just trading punches.
I love your descriptions I can see it vividly 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I had to double check with & Co earlier,

“Did I really see Jenny punch one of the guys in the face and you told me that’s the guy she just got engaged to?”

- Yes honey. Very big fighting for you. You just crawling round on the floor look for your phone. Many people fighting upstairs

True that!

You’d need Tarantino to film it. Totally absurd.

And like everyone is apologising to me. The Czech guys sending via third parties profound regrets.

I also scored a brand new toaster oven out of it. Really! Like $150 toaster oven. Box fresh.

I mean the new phone ran me $1500 but still!

It’s a long way to payday right now 😅

It's got a shitload of buds in there
It really doesn’t. But grown slow and low.

Maybe that’s why? Maybe it’s gonna slay for flavour?

The 5% stuff I vaped last night really so good. Just phenomenal taste. Mellow feel (I appreciate I did instigate a bar brawl whilst under the influence!)

Just saying in my main grow journal that the three super high THC strains we have in the flower room I have zero interest in other than commercial.

Here is probably the study that the podcast about trich shape originated from. Its from 2023 so timeline works.

@Melville Hobbes pay close attention to paragraph 3, I think? (I know, I know it’s not why! 😂)

Nick

I'm not so sure. I think never going amber would be weird as its just part of every organic thing ever. It turns to brown. See it every day.

But my Farmer buddy told me recently about of the 27 podcasts he listens to each week that some of the highest testing THC strains around at the moment have different shaped trichs.

I'll have a look back through our 1000's of messages we managed to get through for the podcast.

So shape change:

trich.jpeg

Classic trich right? Ignore the fact its super clear but it has a ball on top, right?

I can't find a picture to properly illustrate it but apparently the highest THC testing strains don't have a ball, a globe, a bulge at the top.

But they have much higher density which gives them the upwards overall tick on THC.

I haven't listen to it but we speculated that without the globe casting shade they can grow closer together, a sort of bred for attribute. I mean - it was probably just a mutation, doubt anyone set out to do it, but some people may have spotted it and bred for it.

Anyway I'll hunt out the podcast.

I think btw - me The Farmer and The Terp KIng are close on getting a podcast (not for profit/money at all) together. If Rob is OK with it, and its OK to listen to I'll put it on Vimeo.

The Terp King about to start his first real grow in Spain in Rockwool. Me and Farmer got popcorn to hand. Gonna be funny. A better smoker than grower is TTK!
Cool 😎., CL🍀

This has nothing to do with autos but some of the 100% Sativas never get amber. But don’t ask me why cause Idk.🤷‍♂️ CL🍀
Both Kali Mist and CBD Warlock (both from Serious Seeds, old school strains) are heavy sativas. Their stigmas never got any colour but white. Then we harvested them and an hour later a bunch of them went orange/amber just waiting for trim.

1712936329260.png

That's 6am local for me and just saw I have "free" MLB coverage with my Apple subscription. I can cancel the other one. Be my first game of the year.

@InTheShed you going to the matinee? Its 3pm local, right?

The Real Nick Hardy collects his new iPhone (same as mine) tomorrow. He's been in Marrakesh the last week or so. As you do. Go hang out in Morocco in rainy spring in England time. Life of Riley.

Anyway he gets 3 months free AppleTV+ with the phone so he can watch Master of the Air.

Look whatever he says I do not have any emotional attachment to the character "Buck" handsome chap so he is. But I like girls. But nice eyes, and a little look to the Gods I thought I'd patented in the titles?

Anyway a pretty good looking guy 😂

Its some TV show though. I'm a student of WWII mostly airborne fiction and factual. Lots of the stuff filmed just wasn't done before as too hard to make real, and a certain reticence to show that yeah some time friendly fire chasing a fighter plane shot down a plane of ten Americans that then plummeted into another plane filled with 10 poplke and killed them all as well.

Brutal stuff.

Just like Band of Brothers - and of course Saving Private Ryan. They were all or became teachers. Elementary, grade, high, college - like an insane percentage of decorated WWII vets became teachers.

Ahhhh!
I didn't make the connection at first.
It was my original misread of the story thing, even for me a bit obtuse!

Your screen name deriving, of course, from your favourite movie rather than a too oft studied North America literary stalwart.

IMG_0023.jpeg

Were you to read a book:

IMG_0024.jpeg

This is incredible. Set in a small Ivy League college it’s ostensibly about baseball. Baseball does some good books.

The Principle or whatever the college is kinda of a sideline. His daughter is dating the best baller on the team. Real nice kid. He’s also balling the star left centre fielder who’s like a genius at literature and 20 years old and black. The Principle that is. Balling the young black kid. Consentually.

But said future literary superstar figures out that the thesis, and the lode stone of the principle’s academic reputation on Moby Dick, by Herman Mellville was stolen. It was plagiarised.

The how to throw and catch the ball stuff is beautiful though.

Best baseball book?

IMG_0025.jpeg

Its actually quite a lot about Nazi’s, gestapo torture, time travel, Biff kinda stock market cheating a la Back to the Future, and what to people who don’t know about the time travel bit might be termed incest.

But the simple act of throwing and catching a ball is never more beautifully captured.

And no. Holden Caulfield don’t play.

To bring it back to growing. Ali G once said,

“If the grass is on the pitch, let’s play”

My other grow is looking banging! I really donnt grow this bad normally 😅

IMG_0026.jpeg

It was my original misread of the story thing, even for me a bit obtuse!

Your screen name deriving, of course, from your favourite movie rather than a too oft studied North America literary stalwart.

IMG_0023.jpeg

Were you to read a book:

IMG_0024.jpeg

This is incredible. Set in a small Ivy League college it’s ostensibly about baseball. Baseball does some good books.

The Principle or whatever the college is kinda of a sideline. His daughter is dating the best baller on the team. Real nice kid. He’s also balling the star left centre fielder who’s like a genius at literature and 20 years old and black. The Principle that is. Balling the young black kid. Consentually.

But said future literary superstar figures out that the thesis, and the lode stone of the principle’s academic reputation on Moby Dick, by Herman Mellville was stolen. It was plagiarised.

The how to throw and catch the ball stuff is beautiful though.

Best baseball book?

IMG_0025.jpeg

Its actually quite a lot about Nazi’s, gestapo torture, time travel, Biff kinda stock market cheating a la Back to the Future, and what to people who don’t know about the time travel bit might be termed incest.

But the simple act of throwing and catching a ball is never more beautifully captured.

And no. Holden Caulfield don’t play.

To bring it back to growing. Ali G once said,

“If the grass is on the pitch, let’s play”

My other grow is looking banging! I really donnt grow this bad normally 😅

IMG_0026.jpeg
Lol, can't say I've seen that one.
A good series for stoners to read would be the Jurisfiction novels by Jasper Fforde.

Back
Top Bottom