BID & Spiffy Do It Outdoors! Come Get Dirty With Us!

Im subbing in too - We started many seedlings this year. Heck, we had the lights and nutes already, right? :) I picked up a cheap greenhouse at Harbor Freight for $199 on sale last week. As soon as time and weather allows, Ill set it up and kick things off. We are experimenting with HugelKultur this year - going to go all organic if we can.

Cheers, and happy growing!

Im subbing in too - We started many seedlings this year. Heck, we had the lights and nutes already, right? :) I picked up a cheap greenhouse at Harbor Freight for $199 on sale last week. As soon as time and weather allows, Ill set it up and kick things off. We are experimenting with HugelKultur this year - going to go all organic if we can.

wow that huglekultur thing set my mind afire with ideas we have mountains of brush,trees etc we were going to compost but this is a much better idea we are going to build a few hell yeah!! thanks for that and welcome to our off topic grow and welcome to 420mag a badass place to hang and be yourself with a fake name!! its my f-book
let the organic goodness reign!!!:high-five::thumb:

Ok guys and gals new update on the progress of clearing the land for the garden. This is what I got cleared today along with the geese who are going to help keep the garden watered and fertilized. (and the tip of my finger)
20130327_171240.jpg
20130327_171232.jpg
20130327_171149.jpg
20130326_122529.jpg

I have created a drain on the goose pond so that the water will drain when I remove the piece of wood I have blocking it. The next pictures are of the brush I removed today and the logs we have to use in the garden that have been cut down in the past year.
20130327_171207.jpg
20130327_171143.jpg
20130327_171128.jpg

This is what I got done the other day I forgot to post these pictures.
20130326_122507.jpg

The rooster you see goes with a few others and a chicken or two they are also going to help with fertilizer. We will be putting their excrement in the compost bin. My mom taught me that trick she also would use rabbit pellets but, at this moment we do not have any rabbits.....key words here at this moment. I am planning on getting a few but, it might be next year before I do.

We have just a little over half an acre here I have been trying to clear just the back 1/4 of it and because of all the over growth from years of neglect it is taking me longer than I wanted...But I am getting there sun burn and all.....

Sounds a lot like this place, but you're gonna get a veggie garden in before me.

I've seen the hugelkultur stuff before. That guy is the father of permaculture!

Hi Spiffy and B.I.D.

I love your idea with your own organic garden. Will follow with keen interest.
I've got a small garden and greenhouse myself, been playing with thoughts on setting up a dutch bucket system in the greenhouse for tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.
Nice Thread. :)
+subbed

What BID said....Welcome

Definately worth a shot ;)

maintaining res temps would be main thing I guess. Been Thinking about burrowing the main res below ground where its cooler. Around 5 degrees celcius. Then sticl a aquarium heater in there to get it back up to 18.
Just some thoughts, it might suffice too keep res in the shade outside the greenhouse.

This is what I have been waiting on. Our finial frost. I have started digging out one bed I will start on the other 4 this weekend if it has warmed up by then. I should have more pictures by this weekend also. Remember give a smile you will get a smile.

welcome aboard juice ,we have 2 green houses 1 is a storage rm atm the other still in the box, that will change, im thinking on doing some organic hydro bubble bucket tomatoes ,i'll just change the water so often no nasties will ever get a foothold, keep them outside near a hose and power worth a shot i think, and if it sucks i'll throw them in coco:thumb:

how did your GH's hang thru those winds? One of my patients in SL HAD a similar one and its not the wind that did it in it was the 8" of snow. Gotta love those warranties, as long your not the seller lol

The green house also has tent stakes holding it to the ground. Then I used a tarp as a floor so everything sitting on the tarp helped keep it from blowing away.

With the wind the way it has been the past week I have not been able to get out to the garden. I have though been working on my flowers. I just put in some bird of paradise, black or night roses, and orange jasmine in the seedling tray. I moved the morning glories, cosmos, and the dahlias to larger pots I would put them in the ground but with the chickens still on the loose I dare not put them outside at all. We have fence to keep them out but, like I stated before the wind has slowed progress.
20130415_171845.jpg
20130415_171826.jpg
20130415_171831.jpg

This is the basil that BID had growing in one of his tents I have hung it up so that I do not have to ask him for it when I am cooking
20130415_171819.jpg

Potatoes we acquired I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to potatoes but, I will learn.
20130415_171946.jpg

I just want to show off a couple of my favorite house plants. I do have green shamrocks but they have gone dormant for now they should be back up in the next month.

20130415_171837.jpg
20130415_171929.jpg

Well guys and gals that is what I have for you today. I do want to let you know I will be getting a mother keeper by this winter for my tropical plants. I am hoping to be able to learn how to take seed from them but, that is all in the future.

Very cool. Subbed!

Really admire your garden.

I love growing stuff! Food, flowers, medicine...

Myself, looking forward to a big potted outdoor garden this summer. Also thinking of hydro 'maters, outside. Gotta figure out nutes, and they'll be shootin' skyward! Also wanting to get a staghorn fern, but need a shaded spot to hang one. As for flowers, I don't really know much about what's what, just that I like to grow red ones, and blue ones, and yellow ones...Some have spines, most have leaves, lol. Got a starfruit tree (two, but one's my friend's), some herbs, some hibiscus, an angels' trumpet, a colorful croton, and some red flowers and pink flowers, and some succulents in a wheelbarrow. :) Got the wheelbarrow from a departed friend, he was about to pitch it, rusted all the hell, glad I've made use of it now. Got a bathtub outside, thought about putting minnows in it for fishing, figured they might even breed, but can't really shade the tub, so I'll use it as a big planter. Built-in drainage, right? lol.

Good luck and a beautiful garden and bountiful harvest, will be watching this garden, hoping to learn a few things. :)

Back
Top Bottom