Bloo's Barney's Vanilla Kush Grow - New Room & Setup & a Bit of a Catch Up

re: Bloo's Barney's Vanilla Kush Grow - New Room & Setup & a Bit of a Catch Up

Looking at those photos, I can actually smell it.

Ok, so, it's getting a little bunched up around the top, and the configuration of my lights leaves a little to be desired, 2/3rd of the lower part are getting good light, the other 1/3 is not so much..

After A LOT of reading this morning and not finding a lot of solid advice one way or the other on the results, I'll put it to you guys

What are everyone's opinions on super cropping late in flower? i.e around 7-8 weeks in, there are only maybe 3-4 branches I need to sort out to get better light to both them and the main cola's

What kinda of effects will this have on the rest of the plants bud production?
I am aware of the stress and recovery times that would result from an action like this, but if i go ahead with it, Am I setting myself up for a possible sex change?(herm), lower than expected bud density all round? Could it possibly increase my yield's?

The last thing I want to do is stress my beautiful girl out with a month to go, but if I keep it to a minimum, and the branches I'm talking about being around the base of the main cola's, can I actually increase the density of my nugs, I mean they are of a respectable size now, I'm just looking for thickness, and would prefer attempting to manipulate the plant physically(would also benefit in future grows) instead of just dose it up with 'insert generic stoner hydroponic flower booster', I figure the less nutes I need to bang into her the better, and its easier for a plant to bounce back from physical damage as opposed to nute overload.

Thoughts?

Cheers waknbak88, Welcome aboard mate :D I'll put up a shot later of the underside of the upper leaves for you mate.. they are thick all the way down the stems

Ok, so I just did 2 sites down the bottom to see how it recovers, if all goes well I'll probably give the top a little touch up, as I said only 3-4 branches and they arent big ones, we'll see how it goes :D

Trich city

20130919_112007.jpg

20130919_112100.jpg

the supercrop attempt

20130919_112408.jpg

this was all I was talking about, a couple up top, I'm really bored atm so I just gave 2 a little twerk to the side, didnt go overboard with the bend, looks alright yeh? :D

haha I actually attempted to make a reflector yesterday but I wasn't really into it, only had tin foil to play with, the room she's has pretty good reflection, might grab some BBQ trays today and just screw em onto the bottom of the lights

That is exactly what I plan to do with all that trim :D, only I do it the old fashioned way, 2litres of water in a pot, low-med heat, 500g butter, and all the trim i can get in there, leave for 4-5 hours on a very very gentle simmer, the odd stir, strain, repeat if needed/wanted, leave water/butter mix to separate, I like this method, However I wouldn't mind making a tincture to try cooking with, or a cooking oil extraction, but gunna have to read up on that, not sure how I'd go about infusing cooking oil with THC without just letting it sit

Got a bunch of Anzac biscuits sitting there for my girlfriend and her friends when they wanna have some fun, being the lightweights they are, one mildly potent(for me anyways) cookie is enough for a good dash of stoner fun :D, managed to get em to go to Timezone ( video games arcade) the other night.. that shit NEVER happens haha :p

Hello Hello Hello, Back again for another update, not much change, at least not to my eyes, haven't been working so I've been having staring contests with her all day..

Close up to start, still no amber that I can see, happy with it :D

micro_11.jpg

20130925_141139.jpg

20130925_141224.jpg

20130925_141234.jpg

20130925_141413.jpg

20130925_141319.jpg

20130925_142600.jpg

Super crop recovering well

20130925_142623.jpg

Lolly popped a few stems, 2 reasons, 1st clean up some clutter, 2nd a brothers gotta smoke.. :p

20130925_143054.jpg

20130925_143111.jpg

Very happy with the progress :thumb:

I know I posted same pic above, but here is a before and after of my speed dry technique

Before, trichs are full, stems and heads both full of canabagoodness

micro_11.jpg

After, stems have shriveled, heads are still full, little to no chlorophyll taste or smell, still holding all that goodness

micro_21.jpg

Just my opinion here, get rid of some of the midland fan leaves in between your buds while its easy, & stop your nutes. You're a tad green for vanilla kush in my opinion and I'm guessing you're only using flouros here...i think you might wanna help it along in its unescapable road to death. It will keep growing under low light/foxtailing etc till you go mad. Check your triches, I bet they're at least 75% cloudy and I find it hard to believe she needs more than 10 days two weeks to clip. Devorkian her arse, help ease into a painless death

Just my opinion here, get rid of some of the midland fan leaves in between your buds while its easy, & stop your nutes. You're a tad green for vanilla kush in my opinion and I'm guessing you're only using flouros here...i think you might wanna help it along in its unescapable road to death. It will keep growing under low light/foxtailing etc till you go mad. Check your triches, I bet they're at least 75% cloudy and I find it hard to believe she needs more than 10 days two weeks to clip. Devorkian her arse, help ease into a painless death

Sorry, but where does it look like its dying??, and by 'green' do you mean inexperienced?? I've been growing outdoors for around 12 years.. these are my first forays into indoors.. but I would hardly call myself 'too green for kush'...

If you check out the entire journal you'll see I'm using CFL's, there are zero signs of foxtailing, As I've stated in my posts as well the trichs are all clear, no signs of amber.. and I intend on cutting in over a month... and I've defoliated on more than one occasion...

And stopping nutes?? Why?? If I want the plant to die I might do this.. but why would I starve the plant of food??

I really dont know how to take your post mate, Its a little insulting with the images and info I've provided for you to say 'I think you might wanna help it along in its unescapable road to death.'.. The plant is more than healthy...

I value your input and opinion.. but while you find things hard to believe.. the proof is right there above your post mate.. you can argue with it if you like.. but its pretty plain to see

All that aside, Welcome to my journal :D

No, it doesn't look like its dying...it looks like its still producing more leaf than bud. Wasn't trying to be "insulting" in the least. I grow Vanilla kush and i've grown both indoors and outdoors off and on for a tad over 30 years btw, still don't know as much as I'd like to but can comment on what I've actually grown. I use a MH for veg and the first 3-5 weeks of flower (depending) and then switch to HPS to close it out. By "inevitable road to death" I was simply having fun w/words as to what most assume is the end goal...harvest. I actually have followed your grow from the beginning but don't neccessarily commit to memory each individual post over weeks; I follow other grows also, don't have a photographic memory and simply don't think (let alone claim) to be the smartest bloke about, lol. As you mentioned I think, could be wrong, your lighting wasn't ideal. I grew that strain w/floros through flower and had difficulty getting the buds to "densify." I didn't say they were foxtailing now and really if it does at all it will be close to when you plan to harvest anyway (in my experience) dragging the grow out longer than desired or neccessary. As far as the triches, I don't remember you saying they were all clear and by the picture you posted they look at least 50% cloudy to my old eyes; thus the reference in part that it might be farther along than one might think. I remember you posting they were full of cannabagoodies or something like that (which, looks that way to me also from your pics) and that none were amber. Btw if you get amber triches w/floros you've done real well as its seldom if ever i think that happens. Because I thought the triches were apparently more cloudy than they are (thought i saw some of the heads kinda bending over from being what i thought was far along) and how green (color, not experience level, geez) it still is was why I suggested cutting nutes. Btw, its not like you couldn't start them up again if warranted; after all, lots of people flush fairly regularly. I usually harvest anywhere from 8-10 weeks from flipping the switch indoors after vegging anywhere from 1 to 2 1/2 months depending if seed or clone and I use 5 gallon (which I'm convinced are actually like 4 gallon) pots. I do realize that e1 grows different so no two plants even of the same strain grow identically in different environments...but I also thought the idea of a forum was to share ideas so all get better which is why I followed your grow seeing as your strain is one of the 3 i usually grow. The other two being Carmel Ice and Blue Rhino. Blue Rhino is a fun, fast strain with good bulk, smell and eye appeal btw and almost impossible to mess up no matter how bad one might neglect it.

Anyhoots, if i hurt your feelings or accidentally insulted you I do appologize as that was not my intention at all...was just trying to help. Won't do it again although I will still follow your grow so I can pick up some tidbits and improve my game.

Cheers,
John

Nah look John, I think I just mistook the manner of your reply, My apologies also mate, No hard feelings here, any information is valuable and I'm happy to have ideas thrown at what I do, especially from an OG grower like yourself :D

I know about the benefits of HPS/MH lights, but just dont have the money to either run, or replace globes, and temps are an issue as well, I mean electrically, there is just as much chance, but MH and HPS put out a lot more heat than CFL's, and this helps me sleep at night, and keeps me at peace while at work in case of fire(I rent so cant afford to burn someones house down :( ), The chances are just so much lower with a CFL tube compared to anything else.

and I've been taking my time with this grow, last couple I was always doin shit to, changing nute feeds, light sched, etc, and never got more than a spindly little beast (however I did manage to get amber trich on the last one I grew), This is a marked improvement in terms of plant mass and flower mass, and I'm only growing for me so I'm not too worried about bag appeal etc, Only got one box to tick and that's 'Can I smoke it and get high', and the flash cured stuff is telling me thats gonna be a big Yes :D

The heads you were probably seeing bent over were probably the ones I super cropped last week, but I can tell you they all need a lil while to fill out a bit more, and the trichs are fairly clear, my microscope doesnt help when theres a blinding bright white LED in there, I meant to tone the light back, you can see the second pic, they are mostly clear for now :D

As it stands this girl has had round 2 months of veg, and about 2 months of flower now, I'm not in a rush to get it finished (unless my dealer has fallen off the face of the earth), but eager to get onto the next seed, thinkin I'll go my G13 haze :D and I'm pretty confident I can get some thick chunky buds goin with the right manipulation

Again Jam, apologies for taking your message the wrong way, there was no malice in my post, more confusion :p, I had been doing maths study for uni, so I was a little fried mentally heh

That's more like it folks, were all into positive vibage here! lol Hey bloo58 don't stress to much, I blew up a little, just the other evening at another member, same sort of thing really. Its simply the fact that we all put so much effort and love into our girls that we can all get a little defensive at times. Also were all on so many journals on here that we can simply get muddled between them. anyway glad were all good again folks and happy growing to you all!

Your girl is looking lush for just CFL work and you have inspired me to give Kush's a grow, they look very very triched up so looking forward to trying the Kush family out with my next beans, cheers my friend!

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom