Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

thanks guy, i used CREE CXB3070 on the spider cob led grow lights, i did the spectrum testing, we found there has too much green, Does green color help for the canabis?

Thanks
Sean

Green just helps with lights off.

The rest of the 3590 works like a moo when it's on...research man.

I'd love to put your spider up against mine.

Or whatever you've come up with....

Green is mostly for the grower.....so he/she can see plants in natural light BUT I recently learned that there are some studies from Japan that showed the plants do in fact use green light, & that it is beneficial.

That's crazy to me.. not questioning anything but I've just had so much joy in beating the hell out of my plants. You've obviously been growing a while, have you ever tried a big bush, all fucked up?

Not by design grimm but outdoors I've had to do some weird stuff to control size & height. My outdoor height "limit" is ~7 ft. I had an Alaskan Ice from Greenhouse that I had to bend 90º so the main stem was parallel to the ground. It flowered horizontally. She also had the Dr. Grinspoon type buds. Wispy & very un-pot like for those of you not familiar w/ Dr. G. Good thing because the lighter buds weren't heavy enough to snap the horizontal main stem. Dug up a couple of pics taken soon after the initial bend (stem visible if you look).....she continued growing sideways for several more wks. Eventually she needed additional support. Heavy yield despite weird buds & actually one of the better GH strains I've tried. But not a GH fan...these were gifted seeds from patient who wanted me to grow it for him.
IMG_027859.JPG
IMG_027960.jpg

Because BL the laundry grows going in the yard and that gives me room to put more clones in the laundry. I figure take clones off the OG and the Chem dogs and the Gorilla glue. Maybe they turn out fire!! :) It will be good practice at the very least. I was looking yesterday at the plants to pull from the tent for more flower room. I figure the shortest. What fun! My friend who gave me the lights asked when I was going to flip and I said this Sat. He said you know they double. Im thinking he thinks theyre too big already and their a foot tall. They will need more room so decisions decisions on which to flower outside.
Thanks Grimm, Ive got plenty for the yard this year. If I do pull clones from the fire they will probably be part of my next tent grow Im thinking!! :)
Great day!

Well....easy to see you're a dedicated crazy ass grower w/ plants, seedlings, clones coming & going inside, outside. :high-five: Except for the high % sativas....I'm beginning to think that 100% growth during transition is too much...that I've messed up my soil ingredients or not quite feeding right. I'm trying to avoid that massive stretch indoors....will see if I'm on the right track w/ latest batch in flower.

:circle-of-love: :Namaste:

Green is mostly for the grower.....so he/she can see plants in natural light BUT I recently learned that there are some studies from Japan that showed the plants do in fact use green light, & that it is beneficial.

Not by design grimm but outdoors I've had to do some weird stuff to control size & height. My outdoor height "limit" is ~7 ft. I had an Alaskan Ice from Greenhouse that I had to bend 90º so the main stem was parallel to the ground. It flowered horizontally. She also had the Dr. Grinspoon type buds. Wispy & very un-pot like for those of you not familiar w/ Dr. G. Good thing because the lighter buds weren't heavy enough to snap the horizontal main stem. Dug up a couple of pics taken soon after the initial bend (stem visible if you look).....she continued growing sideways for several more wks. Eventually she needed additional support. Heavy yield despite weird buds & actually one of the better GH strains I've tried. But not a GH fan...these were gifted seeds from patient who wanted me to grow it for him.
IMG_027859.JPG
IMG_027960.jpg

Well....easy to see you're a dedicated crazy ass grower w/ plants, seedlings, clones coming & going inside, outside. :high-five: Except for the high % sativas....I'm beginning to think that 100% growth during transition is too much...that I've messed up my soil ingredients or not quite feeding right. I'm trying to avoid that massive stretch indoors....will see if I'm on the right track w/ latest batch in flower.

Doc Bud suggested that low temperatures during lights out add to stretch.
I've the lowest night time temps ever this row and I doubled 24"-48" and 12"-24" in my first 3 plants in flower.
It's also my first grow in Doc Bud's kit and my most vigorous girls going into flower.

That's more stretch than my last 2 years of harvests.

Last but not least - that's a nice looking and stealthy plant. At a casual glance, it looks like a clump of Salvia :)

Sorry bright..Must Be The East coast..

And I hate being called guy

Yeah on the East Coast its "Bro" bro... just sayin! Hey Guy; "Guy" is so eighties bro. :laughtwo:

Like that... pick your poison... I pick flowers Bro, just sayin...

Like that.. Right Coast, lernt from the Left Coast.

Hey there BL - flowers looking mighty fine... love those Trichomes on the harvested buddage. Me likey to smokey! :smokin:

IMG_027859.JPG
IMG_027960.jpg

Love it.. Ive always liked your style. Those are some pretty outdoor pinks..I have about an 8' ht restriction. I'm inside for another 3 or so months. Maybe pull some of them down to one side to go against the fence?

Yes I have heard of Dr. Grinspoon. I've actually toked a bit.. my buddy got seeds and failed ....bro

Yeah on the East Coast its "Bro" bro... just sayin! Hey Guy; "Guy" is so eighties bro. :laughtwo:

Like that... pick your poison... I pick flowers Bro, just sayin...

Like that.. Right Coast, lernt from the Left Coast.

Hey there BL - flowers looking mighty fine... love those Trichomes on the harvested buddage. Me likey to smokey! :smokin:

My house was built in 1682.. when was your state made?

Doc Bud suggested that low temperatures during lights out add to stretch.
I've the lowest night time temps ever this row and I doubled 24"-48" and 12"-24" in my first 3 plants in flower.
It's also my first grow in Doc Bud's kit and my most vigorous girls going into flower.

That's more stretch than my last 2 years of harvests.

Last but not least - that's a nice looking and stealthy plant. At a casual glance, it looks like a clump of Salvia :)

Rad...what temps at night do you consider to be "low"? My light's on period is at night to use night temps for natural ac.

Love it.. Ive always liked your style. Those are some pretty outdoor pinks..I have about an 8' ht restriction. I'm inside for another 3 or so months. Maybe pull some of them down to one side to go against the fence?

Yes I have heard of Dr. Grinspoon. I've actually toked a bit.. my buddy got seeds and failed ....bro

How did you like the Dr. G? I've never gotten to try it. Graytail grew some pretty Dr. G not long ago. Sounds like you're going big outside this yr? I'm going the other way....smaller plants outdoors in small containers, not in the ground holes that grow the big girls. All regs....have some good ones waiting since I hoard the indoor space for fems.

Here are two pics of newest batch. The pink LED pic is what the camera captures. That light has 13% green so to my eyes I don't see pink/purple, I see close to natural light. The 2nd pic is the new Brightlight 2 w/ phosphor coating giving all white natural light. It's an iPad photo (no flash on iPad). Plugged it in 6 days ago...into flower 4 days. I'm trying a little experiment....light is FAR away from plants like 36" to acclimate to new light. When I saw no problems decided to keep them at same distance for 1st wk. of flower since no buds appear anyway. To slow down stretch.

The pink pic is 28 days from soak (oldest group, a few younger ones added) & the 2nd pic is 50 days from soak. Both the plants & I like the new light. Also thrilled about being able to add 3 additional plants....no sweat for this light. Middle row are what NCW calls "2nd Stringers" that are freebies I had put in 1 gals. to see how more plants would do under this light. I flipped at 47 days & moved the 3 from 1's to 2's then since there was space. Strains coming up.

IMG_320119.jpg
IMG_330015.jpg

:passitleft: :Namaste:

Rad...what temps at night do you consider to be "low"? My light's on period is at night to use night temps for natural ac.
:Namaste:

I am heating to 71F at night cooling to 84-87F day.
Very little day night temperature fluctuation in the surrounding basement - 60 degrees - except temporarily gets up to 65 from flower area exhaust.

Stretch when night temps were 60 was 24-48" (starting at 24" flowers set at 48") - (1 plant)
Stretch when night temps were 71 was 12-24" (2 plants)
Previous stretch with (unheated) night temps of 70-ish was typically 24-30" up to 24-36" (dozens of plants - 1 the same strain)

I have no hard evidence that low night temperatures increase stretch.

My lights out temps are 60-65 deg. and lights on temps are 75-80 deg. Im really seeing how important temps are to growth. My first tent grow in Aug. temps were 90 deg and way too hot. They love 75 deg. the best seems like!
Great Day BL!

Was thinking of you brother. Glad I checked in. Your garden looks so darn happy.
I love seeing happy plants, just makes me want to grow more. Haha.

To add to the conversation, if you can keep day night temps within 10_15 degrees this will keep streach down. If I could have my way all the time my grow would be 75 lights on 70 lights off.
Happy dAze brother Bright.

Just my little 2 cents,, if you use a MH light is the first week or so of flower it helps keepem atad shorter also.... I also say F the transition fert's and hit em with the flower as soon as I flower... cutting back on the nitro acouple days before inducing flowering.... I've grown afew GH seeds,,, most are ho-hum,, but afew jems,,, like SLH and acouple others... And they do have the orignal WW. Even if the guy how made the true WW is now calling it Black Widow after leaving GH. Guess they had a falling out....But I've heard good things about that ICE,,, if you like Sativa... Going to take awhile.... GL and Keepem Green

Nice to see them in a group scene, but hey that's just my preference. They sure do look happy, the little uns too.
I'd really enjoy seeing that same photo when they are all in flower. Seems easier to manage 9 small untopped plants, than 4 bigger ones, and if you include the inverted V-shape, you might have 'more' canopy than if it was flat. Just musing.... :) .... and maybe talking myself into running more plants in mine lol.

Green is needed in quantities sufficient to mediate plant functions. Probably other uses, one would assume.

Green light: a signal to slow down or stop | Journal of Experimental Botany | Oxford Academic

Hey BL! Just got my 2017 journal up and going now that I am finally done with hotrods and my remodeling. All BID genetics again {HYBID} I am hoping to get three outdoor crops and a good mother plant to keep it going. Back when I first started journalling here I kept MMF going for over 6 generations...I hope to duplicate that process with even better results. The link to the new journal is in my signature. Later, friend :cheesygrinsmiley:

Nice to see them in a group scene, but hey that's just my preference. They sure do look happy, the little uns too.
I'd really enjoy seeing that same photo when they are all in flower. Seems easier to manage 9 small untopped plants, than 4 bigger ones, and if you include the inverted V-shape, you might have 'more' canopy than if it was flat. Just musing.... :) .... and maybe talking myself into running more plants in mine lol.

Green is needed in quantities sufficient to mediate plant functions. Probably other uses, one would assume.

Green light: a signal to slow down or stop | Journal of Experimental Botany | Oxford Academic

And yet plants have been grown for decades under heavy 500-600nm HPS yellow-green light.

Odd.

I will read more carefully later

And yet plants have been grown for decades under heavy 500-600nm HPS yellow-green light.

Odd.

I will read more carefully later

They are both great reads. Passed on to me by Hosebomber, thank you sir! HPS tend toward yellow/orange/red, which hits a lot of the desired targets, but it a narrow spectrum to be sure. Many bulbs have tried to add some blue, and I use those mainly. Cannabis is very adaptive to light, so it will grow under many types of light, and their associated limitations. A plant grown with wider/improved spectrum will be healthier, and the smoke will be better. I don't know you'll yield better, but the product will certainly be better. HPS alone, leaves me with less terps, lower smell, weaker plants, weaker smoke. :volcano-smiley:

Have you ever done any light-depo? I'm wondering how covered it has to be.

The outdoor light dep. guys I know try to get total darkness during dark cycle.

Just my little 2 cents,, if you use a MH light is the first week or so of flower it helps keepem atad shorter also.... I also say F the transition fert's and hit em with the flower as soon as I flower... cutting back on the nitro acouple days before inducing flowering.... I've grown afew GH seeds,,, most are ho-hum,, but afew jems,,, like SLH and acouple others... And they do have the orignal WW. Even if the guy how made the true WW is now calling it Black Widow after leaving GH. Guess they had a falling out....But I've heard good things about that ICE,,, if you like Sativa... Going to take awhile.... GL and Keepem Green

I've been increasing N load before initiating bloom, then lesser amounts until end of wk. 4 when I start keeping N loads to a very minimal level.

Falling out was actually more of a rip off from what I heard. Heard details from a grower friend who has the entire Mr. Nice catalog. Shantibaba & Neville were the breeders who brought GH to prominence before the rift. Now both at Mr. Nice. That AK Ice was a good strain though.

Simple rationale for me.....smaller plants = more strains per grow.

They are both great reads. Passed on to me by Hosebomber, thank you sir! HPS tend toward yellow/orange/red, which hits a lot of the desired targets, but it a narrow spectrum to be sure. Many bulbs have tried to add some blue, and I use those mainly. Cannabis is very adaptive to light, so it will grow under many types of light, and their associated limitations. A plant grown with wider/improved spectrum will be healthier, and the smoke will be better. I don't know you'll yield better, but the product will certainly be better. HPS alone, leaves me with less terps, lower smell, weaker plants, weaker smoke. :volcano-smiley:

Interesting points about HPS herb. I've only used LED. Looked into HPS initially but didn't like the electricity costs & heat so waited until LED's got better before jumping in.

Harvested another round of plants. Here are a couple strains just before they were cut.
East Coast Sour Diesel Haze
IMG_328713.jpg
IMG_328026.jpg
IMG_328517.jpg

Purple Afghan Kush
One from the freebie jar....she was a totem pole kush style plant with little branching.
IMG_321116.jpg
IMG_327514.jpg

Back
Top Bottom