Can You Grow Weed In Pro-Mix With Only Osmocote Plus, Outdoor & Indoor, And Tap Water?

Did some math last night and .7g per gallon of Muriate of Potash would probably solve the lack of K I think she's experiencing. Do I try to find what the Osmocote needs supplemented with in bloom, or just see what Osmocote can produce on its own? Torn. Open to suggestions on how you all want me to proceed.

For the love of numbers...

We're going to make some assumptions based on prior knowledge:

Cannabis seems to like a range of 120-180 ppm of N to stay green.

Mild tip burn from too much N comes in from 150 - 170 ppm.

Levels of N closer to 120 produce a lighter shade of green.

Based on the proceeding assumptions. I would say that the time released formula of Osmocote provides somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-160 ppm of N. If that is the case, it would also provide an elemental breakdown as follows.

Also from prior knowledge, Cannabis seems to do best with K ranging from 180-240 ppm. Excessive K in the area of 300 ppm causes lockouts of other elements. As seen in the table above, Osmocote is only supplying about 100 ppm of K. If you wanted to get that number up another 100 points to 200 ppm, you could add .7g per gallon of Muriate of Potash to your feed water. See table below.

We can also see that Osmocote is only providing about 15 ppm of Mg and no Ca. It's relying on your water source to make up the rest. My experience is that 80 ppm of Ca and 25 ppm of Mg is needed to satisfy a cannabis plant and keep away the dreaded rust spots. If you wanted to supplement Cal-Mag on top of Osmocote, I would be hesitant to surpass 5ml per gal of your typical 2% N Cal-Mag product. Otherwise you risk N toxicity because you'd be bumping the N up to the 180 ppm range. See table below.

Hi farside.
This is so interesting as it's the exact senario I'm finally facing with my water. Having you set out the ppm ranges of the elements is such a help...thankyou.
I've got hard water full of calcium carbonate. I know it would be best to purchase better water but I've been determined to somehow try to work a balance...
This really helps.

I have to dig out the pdf to confirm but it's around 266ppm from the tap.
I've just learnt that around 40% of that number is calcium. The mag I read as around 28ppm but this is the bit I'm not sure I'm interpreting correct. It didn't plainly say mag, what i believed was mag said 'average 28.8ppm' I don't know if that has a oxygen/carbon or other element attached like the calcium barbonate, or it's straight mag.

I use plant magic grow/bloom for hard water at the moment.
Also a little great white myco
Buddha tree silica (0.25ml ltr)
I have been using plant magic magcal but if I read it right I shouldn't really need alot..some plants take this well, others I get the obvious lock outs and crispy leaves.

Previously I also used Buddha tree pk 9/18 and terpinator in flower, but I dropped these as the obvious reaction. I still use a bit of terpinator when needed k.

The plant magic company were bought out and they've changed formula since I first started using them.
Sorry for the long waffle but this is the very thing I'm trying to balance at the mo.

Couldn't help myself. I can't just sit on my hands with things not right. Cleaned up the bad leaves and gave it 2 gallons of water with .7g of Muriate of Potash in it. Turns out .7g is 1/8 tsp of my powder. That makes it easy enough.

Damn I came back too late! I was going to suggest seeing what it could do on its so we'd know how far into flower it will get before it drop all of its leaves.

I'm going to give old Terp to my buddy with a Jack Herer clone in Osmocote+ if he gets signs of K def.

Give me a spreadsheet and I'm gonna morph into the owl from the old Tootsie Pop commercials. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? Crunch! How long will before it looses all it's leaves? We may never know.

I have about $380 in my collection of salts. I'd hate to think I could get similar results with more ease by using Osmocote plus some Potash. Time will tell. Wouldn't be the first time I've wasted money. I've pissed away, literally, more than $380 on alcohol.

That's only like one good bottle of aged Scotch, lol, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, if it works, it's not a waste (although it may not be an especially good value).

I wasn't overly impressed with the stuff. Er, Osmocote Plus, not well-aged Scotch ;). I mean... You can grow a crop with it, but you can do so with Miracle-Gro, too, or African violet fertilizer. Anyway, you've no control over your feeding - it's like letting a six-year old do the shopping, and then eat whatever and whenever es wants to. Which (along other things) means that the kid could run out of food at any time. Only worse, because everyone knows the little sh!t will start whining the second it's out of food, but your plants will go hungry before they announce the fact.

Plus, the moment it ends up requiring additional nutrients, it has then defeated its purpose, IMHO, because it is no longer "mix it in and then simply add water when the plant gets thirsty" convenient.

But, still, you can get a plant to harvest with it. As people in the big Osmocote Plus thread I posted the link to (at least I think it was this thread I did that in) showed.

A guy that went by the handle of Doc Bud was a big advocate of the stuff several years ago. Was a staff member at one point. Then he got on some kind of "high-brix" kick, decided he could make boot selling stuff related to that (if I remember correctly) and then, later, disappeared. Otherwise, you could probably ask his opinion as to appropriate supplementation (and when, how much, et cetera). But there are likely still some here who used it, felt they were successful, and actually paid attention to the numbers - and remember, lol, which of more than I can say, sadly. Last time I used it was on someone's Northern Lights Auto, in three gallons of soil. I used it at half strength, thinking I could add "whatever" during the growth phase, and "whatever, the flowering version" later. Plant was healthy enough - but even more leafy than... well, more than I'd expected, even for a mostly indica strain. Result was a big plant, lots of leaves, a little bud - and I was still mixing nutrients into the water. Afterwards, I figured dropping the O+ wouldn't add anything to my labor. And only pennies per gallon to the cost. I'm poor - but for more bud that's easier to manicure, lol, I can find "pennies."

If it wasn't for the high nitrogen, and if it would release the same amount per watering regardless of temperature, it would be a nice thing for guerilla gardeners, since it's a lot harder to find entrails of a hanged thief than it used to be ;). And I used it on Mom's (food) garden, because she's in her 80s, and I have to walk all the way across town to tend to her plants for her, and didn't think I'd feel like toting a sack of liquid nutrients back and forth, especially when it's in the 90s. But I wasn't thinking, so I used it for the peppers, too. Whoops. Peppers don't like a relatively high amount of nitrogen. And she's like me - so she'll throw a fit if there aren't lots and lots of orange habeneros, Serranos, jalapeños, Trinidad scorpions, Carolina reapers, etc. Plus, I'll still have to supplement when they are in full flower/fruit production.

It just occurred to me that I hate Osmocote Plus :rolleyes: . And I've still got lots of the stuff. . . .

That's only like one good bottle of aged Scotch, lol, I wouldn't worry about it.

I drink too much to spend that on 1 bottle. Most I've ever paid for a single bottle is $90 for some Ron Centenario rum. It is some tasty stuff. Paid $60 for a bottle of Plantation rum on Saturday that was underwhelming,. Could have gotten some Kirk and Sweeney 12 year that's very similar for $25 less. Also bought a $35 bottle of another rum that was complete trash.

I mean... You can grow a crop with it, but you can do so with Miracle-Gro, too, or African violet fertilizer.

Or MSU Orchid Fertilizer. I had pretty good luck with it.

...could run out of food at any time.

This is my biggest concern. I figured it might last through an auto run, but I'd be very hesitant when it comes to a longer photo run. I don't see much difference between Osmocote and some of the other "mix in" fertilizers in that regard.

Plus, the moment it ends up requiring additional nutrients, it has then defeated its purpose, IMHO, because it is no longer "mix it in and then simply add water when the plant gets thirsty" convenient.

And we've reached that point. At least at this point it just 1 additional product. It may save a bit of time by just having to add 1 product instead of several, but it is defeating the original intent.

But, still, you can get a plant to harvest with it. As people in the big Osmocote Plus thread I posted the link to (at least I think it was this thread I did that in) showed.

I was aware of the other thread but it was basically inactive. Most of the members that were active in that thread are no longer here (see next comment). Rather than try to revive a lengthy old thread, I started this one.

A guy that went by the handle of Doc Bud was a big advocate of the stuff several years ago. Was a staff member at one point. Then he got on some kind of "high-brix" kick, decided he could make boot selling stuff related to that (if I remember correctly) and then, later, disappeared.

Somewhere I had heard the he and his band of brixers were causing chaos and shown the door, although I can't confirm that to be true. I just know the subject of High Brix has mostly died on the vine. His High Brix system was quite expensive. I think when I looked at it once, it was about $120 a run.

Omg you had me at Mojito, then lost me with the croc shoes picture (bruv, crocs are like big panties for your feet. While they are as comfortable as fuck, they should never be left in the open and publicly displayed) then had me again with your beautiful photography:)

I’m in, if there is room, and I promise I’ll try to be good :)

Omg you had me at Mojito, then lost me with the croc shoes picture (bruv, crocs are like big panties for your feet. While they are as comfortable as fuck, they should never be left in the open and publicly displayed)

Those were actually the son's. They WERE size 11's. I just threw them out yesterday. He left them on the deck for so long, cooking in the sun, that they shrank to size 7s. His "big panties" turned into a thong.

I do have lots of Crocs of my own though. I don't care about style. I'm fat, bald, married, and 54. I have no one I have to impress anymore. I had plantar fasciitis and used to have to wear graphite orthotics in all of my footwear. When I started wearing Crocs, all of my foot pain went away. On occasions that I do not wear my Crocs, I can do so without orthotics and pain free now. I have some that look like loafers so they're not all like Deadpool calls them, his "Big rubber masturbating shoes". I do take lots of shit for my Croc collection though. Every time there's a new Croc meme, everyone from work shares it to my Facebook page.

Those were actually the son's. They WERE size 11's. I just threw them out yesterday. He left them on the deck for so long, cooking in the sun, that they shrank to size 7s. His "big panties" turned into a thong.
L o l l I n g!
I do have lots of Crocs of my own though. I don't care about style. I'm fat, bald, married, and 54. I have no one I have to impress anymore.
Omg you so do! Yourself being the main one. I am 50 this year, and I’ve been happily living in sin for 20 years and I nearly succumbed to this ‘I don’t care’ ideal when I became a grandmother. I gained weight, started buying granny clothes, then decided fuck no! I lost 10kg, found a good hairdresser and I am once again impressing me by trying to be my best self. I am 100% no oil painting by any means..
I had plantar fasciitis and used to have to wear graphite orthotics in all of my footwear. When I started wearing Crocs, all of my foot pain went away. On occasions that I do not wear my Crocs, I can do so without orthotics and pain free now. I have some that look like loafers so they're not all like Deadpool calls them, his "Big rubber masturbating shoes". I do take lots of shit for my Croc collection though. Every time there's a new Croc meme, everyone from work shares it to my Facebook page.
Omg I understand sore feet. I’m all for comfort footwear, and only threw my own crocs out a year or so ago, as I found an equally fugly replacement. They are these super soft slides, they look like foot boxes. They are like standing in an orgasm (the feeling not the mess lolll). They are the ultimate big rubber masturbating shoe they really are! Lolling!

The mint plant that started the expiriment. It was burnt up and damn near dead when I came back from vacation. Farside05 Jr remembered to feed the weed plants (because it affected him) but not the mint. After a serious haircut and plenty of water, she's making a comeback.

The Osmocote girl officially got the boot from the tent this morning.

We'll see if this progresses or if it stops here. I'll keep feeding with the .7g of Potash. It may need some Ca too.

I used to wonder why people used containers when they grew mint outdoors. Then I planted some in my garden :rolleyes: . That stuff isn't as bad as bamboo - which can apparently propagate itself by crossing under a road and infesting the property across the street - but it's definitely a "spreader." Now, years later, every time I mow my yard, I smell mint, here and there. Which, in and of itself, is kind of nice - but I now understand why it's generally grown in containers instead of in the ground.

Tune in next week, when Tortured Soul realizes why multiflora rose is, perhaps, not the best natural fence... ;)

I used to wonder why people used containers when they grew mint outdoors. Then I planted some in my garden :rolleyes: . That stuff isn't as bad as bamboo - which can apparently propagate itself by crossing under a road and infesting the property across the street - but it's definitely a "spreader." Now, years later, every time I mow my yard, I smell mint, here and there. Which, in and of itself, is kind of nice - but I now understand why it's generally grown in containers instead of in the ground.

Tune in next week, when Tortured Soul realizes why multiflora rose is, perhaps, not the best natural fence... ;)

Garlic chives are nearly as bad. They'd stay green though the winter. Took over the whole end of a bed. It took 3 years of pulling them before they didn't come back anymore.

Two more products from the FN Fertilizer™ line so that I can supplement the Osmocote. Fed her 2 gal of water with 20ml of FN Special K™ and 5ml of FN Cal Mag+™. That bumps the K by about 100 ppm and the Ca by about 50 ppm.

The short and skinny of it all. Based on the title "Can you grow weed with only Osmocote and tap water"? Nope! Only through veg. Once you hit bloom you'll run into deficiencies. Now trying to figure out a supplement regiment that you need in bloom. The saga continues.

Back
Top Bottom