My goal for this harvest my man. I want to get some carts going. But I really want to get a Vape I have already started the edibles. It's the way to sleep!
My vape is actually a DHV, Dried Herb Vape. You grind up the weed like you would if you were rolling a joint, and load the chamber with it. The heat you set it at determines which cannabinoids and terps are in the vapour.
Mine is an Xmax Starry v3, from @XMax Vaporizer but they're selling the v4 now. It looks really good.
I really like edibles for the evening, and I've started trying out yhe recipes in the 420 kitchen section.
Very nice ! Also is the WMM a Moisture Tester?
Yup, a wood moisture meter. I saw a couple of others on here using them, so I decided to try it out.

Sooo, I did a thing...

What a fucking disaster. 😅
I should have trimmed the Gelato when I intended to, but the branches and stems were still pliable.
I can't and won't blame the wmm. It just confirmed what standard practice said. That it wasn't ready.
I bucked some of the top buds, which felt dense, if a little light, into the bowl trimmer.

I thought it sounded a bit weird, but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw when I lifted the lid.

Luckily, I had left the very top buds aside, but even most of them fell apart a bit when I hand trimmed them.
95% of the plant is in the bowl of the trimmer.
This is what's left.

Happily, one bud made it through relatively unscathed. You'll see pics of it later.
I have also found a possible source of Everclear up here (@Bill284 when I've confirmed that it's real I'll tell you), so it won't go to waste.

I'll be hand trimming Do si dos tomorrow, but I'll be putting the larf through the bowl trimmer.

Sorry I'm late for the final harvest, no clue how I missed this. :(

Congratulations on DSD takedown, and it was a beauty right to the very end! Funny how the color doesn't show on the underside of those leaves. :hmmmm:
Thanks Shed.
Hopefully her trim goes better!

Thanks for sharing this impeccable grow!
I really enjoyed watching them through
I have a pineapple haze pulling a #33
IMG_7280.jpeg
It looks shriveled? Poor thing

Ugggg!!! Time to make edibles!
Yup!
To be honest, most of my grows end up making budder or infused oil anyway, I just like to have a say in the matter!
It looks shriveled? Poor thing
Yeah. Hopefully Nile will update us on how she's doing.
Holy crap! That is not a good ad for the bowl trimmer. :eek:
No, but it really did well on the Do si dos #33.
Just don't overdry your buds before you put them in 👍
Or look at it as you are saving hours of life on the current grinder :) and saving time when it’s time to vape. You have at least half a jar of shake there :)
There's a ton of kief in there too. I'm really interested in doing an alcohol extraction, so this is the perfect opportunity. There are some recipes that require concentrated cannabis oil, so I really do want to make some.

There's a ton of kief in there too. I'm really interested in doing an alcohol extraction, so this is the perfect opportunity. There are some recipes that require concentrated cannabis oil, so I really do want to make some.
Interested in what you end up doing with it.

That’s my next project is butter and calculated dosage of edibles.

Holy crap! That is not a good ad for the bowl trimmer. :eek:
I literally bought one about an hour before reading this! 🤣

Looking down the barrel of a 3lb harvest, I finally caved. LoL

I'll definitely keep a close eye on em as I use it the first few times.

Mel, if those buds were that dry then the trimmer might have been a good thing. At least you've got something of substance left. Those buds would turn to powder if you grinded them.

Good morning Mel,
I have no experience with automated trimming and can't tell by looking what the heck happened. :rolleyes: If not too difficult to explain, what happened? :) I'm a little slow sometimes, but I bet I'm not the only one that doesn't understand the mechanics of what happened.:hmmmm:

Well, guess I have to type all that in again!

Interested in what you end up doing with it.

That’s my next project is butter and calculated dosage of edibles.
There's a bit more leaf matter in there than I usually use for edibles.
Alcohol extraction and dry sift are the plan right now.
I'll post about it when I do it.
I literally bought one about an hour before reading this! 🤣

Looking down the barrel of a 3lb harvest, I finally caved. LoL

I'll definitely keep a close eye on em as I use it the first few times.
It works pretty well when I use it just as the buds are ready to go into jars.
Wet trimming left too much of the sugar leaves on there.
There are a couple of threads about them floating around out there.
It saved me about 3 days of trim time and a psychotic break at the end of the 2022 outdoor growing season.
Mel, if those buds were that dry then the trimmer might have been a good thing. At least you've got something of substance left. Those buds would turn to powder if you grinded them.
Lol, I'm imagining opening the grinder to find an empty bud chamber and a packed kief collector.
Probably the same feeling as I had when I lifted the lid of the trimmer!
Good morning Mel,
I have no experience with automated trimming and can't tell by looking what the heck happened. :rolleyes: If not too difficult to explain, what happened? :) I'm a little slow sometimes, but I bet I'm not the only one that doesn't understand the mechanics of what happened.:hmmmm:
The trimmer has silicone fingers that push the buds down on the grate. They turn as you turn the crank.
20240216_074855.jpg

Under the grate there's a blade that spins in the opposite direction, also driven by the crank, but each turn on the crank spins the blade several times.
The leaves poke through the grate and are cut off, and as the bud is tumbled, different sides are pressed to the grate and trimmed.
If your buds are too dry they're broken up by the force of the fingers and the impact of the blade. The remaining pieces are small enough to fall through, or be forced through by the fingers.
That's what happened here.
Basically it became a giant blade grinder.
If it weren't for all the leaf matter in there I would just store it as milled bud and use it as usual.
I was already planning to make dry sift and alcohol extraction from the trim of these three plants, now there'll be a lot more.

Do si dos
I decided to give the bowl trimmer another shot as Do si dos was much denser than Gelato, and anything fluffy enough to go through wasn't anything I would be willing to hand trim anyway.

I did decide to do a smallish test run though just to make sure...

And I think it turned out rather well.

I still lost a bunch of weight to the bowl.

But I'm happy enough with this.
I'm planning on trimming to eliminate larf going forward, and I really need to get a handle on drying because DSD was also overdried.

I'm also looking at getting a second @VIVOSUN VS1000 for the 60x120cm (2×4) tent. I'd like to have lights in there that can be controlled by the GrowHub, but I'm not paying $300 a piece for a couple of Aerolights.

I'll put up a vape report as soon as I can, but I can tell you that this DSD smelled like a strangely nondescript citrus and melon, with that background scent of damp granite peeking through as I trimmed her. It'll be interesting to see how that comes through in a vape.

Thank you for the explanation, and sorry about losing your post. :) :oops: I hate it when I do that.:rolleyes::cheesygrinsmiley:
Happens to all of us from time to time.

Morning Melville, hope things are going well for you in the frigid north. :)

I have dried my herb out too much a few times over the years and I think curing bud may have gotten easier. :hmmmm::) At least on the first trial.:rolleyes:

I put the Colombian Gold in Grove bags, before they were at the recommended level of dryness. :oops: Almost dry enough.:hmmmm:
Anyway, now a little over two months later. They are cured with a fine flavor and are perfectly moist. :love::cheesygrinsmiley: I still use jars to hold my "smoking flower", but most of 50+ jar collection will slowly be given away now, as I gift out my bounty.:bong:

So, here's the vape report on Do si dos. First thing I need to mention is that there won't be any curing with this one. I've opened the jars twice since the trim to feel the nugs.
They're still dry, crunchy, and they move loosely when I pick up the jar. There is no residual moisture there.
Anyway, this is potent!
I cleaned out a grinder and ground up a middle nug. It smells like SweetTarts, although not as powerful.
The flavour is a bit more floral than I like, although now I'm getting an aftertaste of blueberry. I only had 3 hits before I shut the vape off. I could already feel it coming on.
I'm feeling really relaxed, there's a slight distortion to the edges of my vision, and the aching muscles from yesterday's workout are gone.
I don't have the munchies, I had a very small snack a minute ago and it was easy to stop eating. That being said, it tasted really good, and the food felt good going in.
The body buzz is awsome, so I'm really looking forward to getting this into some edibles.
As I said, it's strong. A 2 minute vape session has me feeling as high as a full 5 minutes usually does.
I'm glad I have more seeds of this.

Morning Melville, hope things are going well for you in the frigid north. :)

I have dried my herb out too much a few times over the years and I think curing bud may have gotten easier. :hmmmm::) At least on the first trial.:rolleyes:

I put the Colombian Gold in Grove bags, before they were at the recommended level of dryness. :oops: Almost dry enough.:hmmmm:
Anyway, now a little over two months later. They are cured with a fine flavor and are perfectly moist. :love::cheesygrinsmiley: I still use jars to hold my "smoking flower", but most of 50+ jar collection will slowly be given away now, as I gift out my bounty.:bong:
Thanks, I'll look into the Grove bags.
Overdrying is a recurring problem for me. It doesn't affect edibles really, but vaping can be a little light on flavour at times.
Much better result from the trimmer!
Yes!

So, here's the vape report on Do si dos. First thing I need to mention is that there won't be any curing with this one. I've opened the jars twice since the trim to feel the nugs.
They're still dry, crunchy, and they move loosely when I pick up the jar. There is no residual moisture there.
Anyway, this is potent!
I cleaned out a grinder and ground up a middle nug. It smells like SweetTarts, although not as powerful.
The flavour is a bit more floral than I like, although now I'm getting an aftertaste of blueberry. I only had 3 hits before I shut the vape off. I could already feel it coming on.
I'm feeling really relaxed, there's a slight distortion to the edges of my vision, and the aching muscles from yesterday's workout are gone.
I don't have the munchies, I had a very small snack a minute ago and it was easy to stop eating. That being said, it tasted really good, and the food felt good going in.
The body buzz is awsome, so I'm really looking forward to getting this into some edibles.
As I said, it's strong. A 2 minute vape session has me feeling as high as a full 5 minutes usually does.
I'm glad I have more seeds of this.

Thanks, I'll look into the Grove bags.
Overdrying is a recurring problem for me. It doesn't affect edibles really, but vaping can be a little light on flavour at times.

Yes!
So you like the Do si dos. Wonderful!

What kind of edibles you planning on? Donuts, maybe? 🙂

Back
Top Bottom