Cannabis Oil Users Cafe & Lounge

re: Cannabis Oil Users Cafe & Lounge

Try this link for more information on organic and inorganic minerals and the drinking of distilled water and the benefits. Undistilled water contains inorganic minerals, which are bad for our bodies. Distilled water does help to leach those minerals from our bodies. We need organic minerals which come from fruits and vegetables. Not the inorganic ones in water. Negative information about distilled water are just old wive's tales. Just not true at all.

WJ
:ciao:

So Jim. Let me see if I have this right. You put (for arguments sake) 1qt(32oz) of solvent in the distiller. Mark you collection jar at the 28 oz mark (75% just to be safe) and shut off distiller when it reaches that point? Then follow the decarbing procedure on the induction top. Yes? :peace:

That is how I do it supergroomer. Going too far risks burning the oil and possibly converting some of the ethanol (your alcohol solvent) into methanol (the bad stuff), as I have heard from many mash distillers, white lighting distillers if you prefer. I do it only to make sure I don't burn the oil. After I distill the cannabinoids and alcohol and empty the distiller into the SS measuring cup, I clean the distiller with some clean Everclear or whatever alcohol I am using. It is then ready to make distilled water (DH2O) or more oil. I have never smelled an odor.

After distilling water, I pour about a cup of distilled white vinegar into the distiller and let it sit a couple hours, up to 18 when I am busy. For those who don't know, distilled white vinegar is a good stainless steel cooking pot or pan cleaner. I use it all the time. We use DH2O for drinking, coffee and cooking.

WJ

No matter what you get, make sure it isn't denatured ethanol. That has a poisonous additive, methanol usually. It's best to use Everclear or Spirytus Vodka. You can distill 80 proof vodka or Everclear to get a higher % of alcohol. It could be the answer you need. Just don't distill an amber spirit like whiskey or rum. Make sure it is clear.

WJ

That is very good advise Wildjim :adore:

What proof do you think 80 proof will become after it is distilled? :Namaste: And can you distill it twice :thedoubletake:

And how are you feeling Sir? :love:

Just a note on how I use my still... I use a 30L boiler (like a large electric urn) for turning my yeasty wash into 93-95% alcohol. From about 25L I get 3.5L of spirit (costs under $5 in consumables). I then use a smaller, double-boiler that I made out of a 10L urn and commercial bain-marie insert - it was a bit of a mission as you need an air-tight set-up or you'll lose the spirit out of anywhere that leaks.

I had to cut a hole in the lid of the bain-marie insert that fit my still, and then get an o-ring/pressure boiler seal to the lid, plus some clamps to hold the lid on tightly. It works really well but took more to set up than I first thought it would (was hoping to just use the urn "as is").

Also, not sure what other people's stills are like, but mine has copper/stainless steel scrubbers inside it which are required for the first part of the process (wash to alcohol), but are removed for the second part (RSO).

That is very good advise Wildjim :adore:

What proof do you think 80 proof will become after it is distilled? :Namaste: And can you distill it twice :thedoubletake:

And how are you feeling Sir? :love:

I am not sure what the proof would be. You can get a proofing hydrometer on fleabay or amuhzon that would tell you the proof. Using a proofing hydrometer can measure up to 100 percent ABV, or 200 proof. Mash distillers use them to proof moonshine/white lightning. If you can do it twice in succession I do not know. I also don't know if it is necessary to distill it twice to get close to 200 proof.

I am feeling much better RSOiler. Thanks! The three arteries that were used in a triple bypass 8 years ago were nearly completely clogged. I can walk to the bathroom now, lol. An arduous journey before the stents. I have been walking on my treadmill for 6 minutes every day. That is all I am allowed so far. No long stairs allowed, so no trips to the basement. So my gardening is at a standstill.

WJ

Just a note on how I use my still... I use a 30L boiler (like a large electric urn) for turning my yeasty wash into 93-95% alcohol. From about 25L I get 3.5L of spirit (costs under $5 in consumables). I then use a smaller, double-boiler that I made out of a 10L urn and commercial bain-marie insert - it was a bit of a mission as you need an air-tight set-up or you'll lose the spirit out of anywhere that leaks.

I had to cut a hole in the lid of the bain-marie insert that fit my still, and then get an o-ring/pressure boiler seal to the lid, plus some clamps to hold the lid on tightly. It works really well but took more to set up than I first thought it would (was hoping to just use the urn "as is").

Also, not sure what other people's stills are like, but mine has copper/stainless steel scrubbers inside it which are required for the first part of the process (wash to alcohol), but are removed for the second part (RSO).

Looks like you might be one of those mash distillers I spoke about. Sounds interesting though. My son has a distiller's license to make and sell bitters.

My distiller is 1 gallon max. All stainless steel. No scrubbers needed or present. It does everything I need and nothing has been altered. I wouldn't want to try to make one, I have heard of many homemade stills blowing up in the moonshine producing area a hundred miles south of here.

WJ

I forgot to add this. We oilers use a sort of Bain-Marie when we put the measuring cup into the pan with olive oil to complete the carboxylating process. The Bain-Marie is a double boiler with water used instead of olive oil. Cooks use a Bain-Marie when making custard and melting bakers chocolate for example.

WJ

Yeah, this one won't blow up, it's all safe. The still itself is factory standard and I understand the way everything works. Explosions usually happen from pipes getting blocked or vapors igniting (from leaks, etc). I think some moonshiners use fire/flames to heat the large boiler which definitely increases the risks.

I believe that there are actually small 5L boilers/urns that are purpose built for alcohol production.

Edit: It's probably safer than just evaporating off the alcohol as there are no flammable vapors outside of the contained boiler and still.

I sent for a distiller after following some of these threads. I have only made oil for topical pain use and vape for my partner as smoking the flower is too harsh. I will make oil for tacking as I become more experienced. Are there any step by step instructions for using the distiller for oil? I am using Everclear and it is spendy. Thank you.

I sent for a distiller after following some of these threads. I have only made oil for topical pain use and vape for my partner as smoking the flower is too harsh. I will make oil for tacking as I become more experienced. Are there any step by step instructions for using the distiller for oil? I am using Everclear and it is spendy. Thank you.

Hi Mighty Mouse, here's what we have from WildJim who uses it for oil:

The distillers do run a bit hot, about 212 degrees F or 100 degrees C, from user report. The boiling point of water.
Some use a mason jar for the reclaimed alcohol, but you can use the glass container supplied with the unit if you ordered it that way.
It is suggested to put some masking tape on the 1 quart Ball jar and mark a spot on the jar after filling it with the amount of alcohol you will be using to know where 100% of alcohol is. Then approximate where 80% would be and mark that line.

During the distilling process make sure to stop the distiller when the alcohol rises to that level. Then pour the liquid/alcohol from the distiller into the SS measuring cup. Not putting the measured lines on the jar might allow the oil to burn. Do not go past the 80% mark just to be safe. It will go fast because the alcohol distills faster than water. A gallon of water takes 5 - 6 hours to distill. A fifth of alcohol takes 20 minutes or less. The carbon filters, if supplied, are not really needed for the alcohol process. (If you do water distilling you might want to use the carbon filters)
After you pour the remaining fluid into the measuring cup from the distiller, Add a little more Everclear to clean the rest out and just pour it into the measuring cup. (When distilling water, pour some white distilled vinegar in after the distilling process and let it sit a few hours to clean the yucky stuff out of the distiller.)
You will probably be hard pressed to find any actual instructions from a manufacturer because it's federally illegal to make alcohol unless you have some kind of distillers license.

I know John has received his, he should be posting soon on how it did for him.

Hope this helps a little. :)

Yes, blow ups and rockets......people do dumb things...

So no discussions on homemade distillers here are allowed. Those would be removed by moderators I would think.

There are some pretty stupid people out there who don't know what the hell they're doing and don't do things with safety in mind.

:circle-of-love:

So no discussions on homemade distillers here are allowed. Those would be removed by moderators I would think.

There are some pretty stupid people out there who don't know what the hell they're doing and don't do things with safety in mind.

:circle-of-love:

I hope this wasn't directed at me as it's my quotes you used.
There not enough room on this site for my rely if so as safety in concentrates is my #1 rule.

I hope this wasn't directed at me as it's my quotes you used.
There not enough room on this site for my rely is so as safety in concentrates is my #1 rule.

Oops, sorry about that. No, it was not directed at you or anything about them that has been posted thusfar. I'll edit that. LOL
I just wanted to be sure we don't get into discussions on backwoods types of homemade stills (which I haven't seen discussion of yet) to keep the mods at bay and to keep us safe.
I most certainly know that you do things safely.

Love ya. :)

Yeah, this one won't blow up, it's all safe. The still itself is factory standard and I understand the way everything works. Explosions usually happen from pipes getting blocked or vapors igniting (from leaks, etc). I think some moonshiners use fire/flames to heat the large boiler which definitely increases the risks.

I believe that there are actually small 5L boilers/urns that are purpose built for alcohol production.

Edit: It's probably safer than just evaporating off the alcohol as there are no flammable vapors outside of the contained boiler and still.

I'm glad you clarified it is a factory built distiller. Safety really is the priority when making concentrates.
Most know here that I've made "moonshine"-type liquids. ;)
I've pics posted somewhere of some apple pie & peach I made.
I'm not one of the pretty stupid ones though. There are plenty that make stupid decisions out there.
Making concentrates at home is still a felony in Colorado.

Back
Top Bottom