Carcass' $150 Low Budget Grow 2019

Thank you for the kind words, Carmen !
it sounds like you would advise going straight into the 20L with the autos?
I don't really advise doing it that way, but that's how I've always done it, except for a couple that I sprouted in the final pot...I actually didn't know that watering properly might be a problem until I saw it mentioned on here- I've always transplanted into the final pot, then watered with a gallon of nuted water, and I've never had any issues.
I pour about 2 thirds of the water around the edges of the pot, and the other 1 third goes around the "seam" where the solo cup soil meets the new soil, and it has always worked well for me.
But, I don't want to really push my method, because there is a potential for problems- I've just never had any of them...not yet, anyway :)

Your GSC is looking perfect so far! :thumb: I'm rooting for your outdoor autos to do well too!

Your GSC is looking perfect so far!
Thank You, Beez! I couldn't ask for a more cooperative plant- she seems to dig the abuse!
I'm rooting for you outdoor autos to do well too!
They do seem headed in that direction- the 2 that got topped and transplanted yesterday haven't even noticed yet that their heads are missing... :hmmmm:

Caution: this post is kinda wordy...

About a month ago, I noticed something odd my plant was doing...It was actually getting shorter, instead of taller- it went from 4 inches tall to 2 inches tall in ten days:hmmmm:
I got in there and trimmed some of the older, larger leaves off today, so now I can show you what I'm talking about.

You may or may not remember that when this seed sprouted, the root came up first, then a little later, the sprout came up, about 2 inches from where the taproot was...didn't really think about it at the time, but once I figured out what was happening, it made perfect sense.

Since the roots aren't under the plant (they're about 4" to the side of the stalk now) the main stalk has no support under it- which wouldn't really matter if this one wasn't getting trained- but the training, with it's pulling down all the branches, pushes down pretty hard on the main stalk- and with nothing under it to support it, it sunk about 2" into the soil.

At first, I thought I was just screwed- but then I got to thinking- what if I place a support of some kind under one of the main branches on node #3 to basically hold the plant up (keep it from sinking more)
Stalk detail.jpg

So that's what I did, and it's been working fine ever since.
And actually, this isn't hurting a thing....I want to keep my plants short, so it's helping with that.
It's not something I'd do on purpose, but it really does keep that main stalk nice n short- this one's only 2" high- and both branches from node 2 are coming from about 2" underground, and doing fine...

I tried to explain it fairly well, because that pic might be more confusing than it is helpful.:straightface:

Anyhow, it doesn't seem to be affecting her much, if at all...
GSC2 5-12-22.jpg

Thanks for looking:love:
That's all for now...

Thanks, Azi!

Hopefully those buried nodes will grow some new roots and further help support the plant.
They just might be- initially, I thought they might die from being under the soil, but they don't mind a bit.

That stick is only doing a little bit-- the dark green fiberglass bar (which you can barely see) is the one doing all the heavy lifting... :)

Probably never happen again- but if it does, I'm ready for it! :high-five:

Way to go Hawkeye! :Rasta:

Great save @Carcass !
Hopefully those buried nodes will grow some new roots and further help support the plant.

Very clever on your support stick. I like clever! :thumb:
And I was about to say the same thing Azi. Those nodes should eventually push out roots. Not sure if they will with the nodes untouched though. Wouldn't they need to be snipped off or exposed to the soil to root?

Thanks for stopping by, farside!
I think we found the lead suspect in the Benihana Chopstick Theft Caper. :rofl:
With the noodles and the chopsticks, it's like I've got a Chinese take-out theme going on

Omg so interesting and what a well thought out save!
Thanks, Trala! I'm real glad it worked, because I  really didn't want to start over...
She's just beautiful Carcass.
Thanks so much, Adora!... I've got to admit- this one is getting kind of pretty...
Great save @Carcass !
Thank you, Baked...no one was more surprised than me when it actually worked...
Not sure if they will with the nodes untouched though
I would expect he'll get roots on the buried parts.
When she's done, I'll shake the dirt off, and we can take a look- I'm interested to see how  all the roots look on this one :hmmmm:

Roots don't only come out of the nodes. They can shoot out from the stem itself. I would expect he'll get roots on the buried parts.
I noticed this after an up-potting where I had buried the stem to lower the plant, that roots did grow from what had previously been the lower stem. I don't usually check so I can't say it happens every time.

Oops, missed one ...

Thanks, GDB- first plant I've had that got shorter as it aged...:hmmmm:
I'm surprised you spotted it since you nearly missed my post! :laughtwo:

I don't usually check so I can't say it happens every time.
Thanks, Stunger- I never check either, but this one has me curious about what's happening underground...
I'm surprised you spotted it since you nearly missed my post!
I'm better at reading plants than I am at reading posts, evidently... :high-five:

And while I'm here- Today is flip day for the GSC- 50 days old, 9.5 inches tall, 18 inches wide, and the main branches have caught up to the secondary branches in height, so it's a nice level canopy going in to flower- that may or may not be the case once she starts to stretch...
I'm gonna hope for the best....

flip day 3.jpg

flip day 4.jpg

Thanks for looking, I appreciate the support!:love:
There will be more about this one and the outdoor autos in tomorrow's update,
hope to see you then:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom