Chrystal Grow LED and CFL

Girdling

Some of you may know of this method. Most of you probably have no clue what it is. It has been discussed before in the past, and since there is no information I can find on it here, I will enlighten those whom do not know about the beneficial effects of girdling your plants.

Girdling is used in agriculture for many different types of plants. You ever see a 500 pound pumpkin or super large fruits? that may have been helped by a mixture of girdling and hormone treatment, and possibly other techniques. Girdling itself, has the potential to increase not only your yield size, but also the individual size of each flowering cluster. It can also make your buds sweeter with a stronger aroma, and also speed maturity.

Girdling is closely related to supercropping. Except supercropping changes the concentration gradient to allow for better passive transport within the plant. Girdling is essentially the opposite. Girdling can be risky if done excessively or improperly. It can kill any area that is above the girdle. You essentially want to restrict the flow alot or slightly by either cutting a complete 'ring' of the stems outer surface, or for an easier, safer method, tieing a strap around the main stem or branch, tight enough to slightly restrict flow without breaking or completely crushing the stem.

This can be done for best results, 2-4 weeks before harvest. You can even use metal twist ties to serve this purpose. If you remove every bit of flower growth on a girdled stem, except the main growth (optional), the left over growth will recieve the full nutrition every leaf has to offer above the girdle, increasing flower size. This method is also used to create a gold coloration in the buds. when near flower maturity, a girdle will restrict the flow, and basicly slowly strangle the branch or stem area above the girdle. this will cause the flowers to use up all of the available nutrients in these leaves, and they will slowly die off.

The buds themselves will also slowly die off, and can change into a golden color. ever wonder how they make "Acapulco gold" buds gold? well, they say it is the columbian strains natural characteristics, which may be true. But girdling can also give your buds the same 'golden' color, and contribute to resin producton, along with quicker, less problematic drying/curing. It is an easy technique, but the timing must be right for it to be beneficial and not harmful or useless. It is an interesting approach.

Anyone thinking of trying this, should girdle only a few branches, each with different girdle pressures. Since it is the same plant, you have a control factor. After harvest, You can compare the girdled branches to the ungirdled branches, and see which came out better.

I am going to try this on 2 of my plants and see how it goes.
I only have between 2-4 weeks left so i am pretty interested to see how it will work.

Pics up tomorrow.
:peacetwo:

ok sorry for the delay,thing have been crazy busy lately.

So i did the Girdling on the 2 ladys and to be honest they are starting to fatten out.
So far so good.We will just see how they do over the next few days.
I will have pics up on sunday.
Just dont have time at the moment.

im definatly gonna have to try that. nother better than even bigger buds. good stuff man. can't wait to see how they are doing.

Cool man,it will be interesting to see how it works on someone elses plant.
My plants have just exploded with new little buds and they are everywhere.

Ill have pics tomorrow.
Peace.

And keep me posted on your plants guys.

ok guys here are the latest pics:
Day 50 flowering.

cam_pics_00110.JPG
cam_pics_0039.JPG
cam_pics_00210.JPG
cam_pics_0047.JPG
cam_pics_0066.JPG
cam_pics_0093.JPG
cam_pics_0083.JPG
cam_pics_0073.JPG

this is one to show the effects of the girdling:

cam_pics_0056.JPG

It dont look like it in the pic but all the lower branches have new buds on them.
You also cant see where i did the girdling because my camera is crap and the pics keep coming out blurry.

You might also see that one of the ladys is gone:

Well she wasnt doing so well so i chopped her up and dried her out.
The small bit of bud that i got off her is now curing,but it is some sweet tasting smoke.

Thats it for now guys.
More in a few days.
:peacetwo:

OK so i bought a microscope online for 4 bucks,it also has led lights.

Its pretty cool and its smaller than your baby finger.

So i checked the plants today,and to my horror i discovered that they are ready for harvest.(70% milky/20%clear/10% amber)
Im pretty pissed to be honest because i thought they would fatten up a small bit more.

but i guess its what you get when you experiment.

I will be chopping them down on friday so i will have more info and pics then.

Peace.

oh and a bong it shall be smiling garden.:hookah:

Back
Top Bottom