CoffeeShopSeeds Sponsored Grow: Emmie’s Huge 1 Month Interval Constant Harvest

The Bloom Room deserves its own special post with all of these bud pictures and excitement going on in the room. We are at day 20 of bloom and we are already seeing some impressive development in these buds.

Houston, we have a problem!
Today we had our first droopy leaner... a stalk that just couldn't hold up the weight of these trichome covered buds. A one sided support was built to hold up that side of the plant, from my build as you go tomato cage kit. This tall plant needed 3 levels of stakes installed to take care of this problem... these are definitely some of the tallest plants I have seen for a while in these rooms. Here are the before and after pics.... first, the leaner...
DSCF2219.JPG

Then the fix. This is probably going to become common attire in this room, at least for the O. Gelato plants.
DSCF2227.JPG
DSCF2226.JPG

The plants all got a 2/3 watering from the top. Nutritionally, we are still behind a bit, but gaining. The water from the top was loaded, with a double helping of Sweet Candy, a heavy helping of Terpinator, and the ever present SNS-209.
I did a close inspection for mold and my spider mite tribe trying to survive in there, but could find neither. The mold has not been a problem since moving the big 1940's box fan into the room and the spidermites have been beaten again with combination of a lifetime of SNS-209 in the water combined with the killing power of SNS-203 spot spraying every few days and raising the RH in the room to the 60% level.

The buds at the 3 week point are looking wonderful. The big puffballs are the O. Gelato plants and the smaller buds with lots of trichomes already are the Critical Kush plants. Some are doing better than others, but no one is failing to impress. This is turning out to be a good run.

DSCF2225.JPG
DSCF2224.JPG
DSCF2223.JPG
DSCF2222.JPG
DSCF2221.JPG
DSCF2220.JPG

Update time!
Both rooms are looking amazing. In what is now Bloom Room #2, at day 3 of the transition you can definitely tell that the plants are reacting to something.

Today was watering day (filling the tubs) in both rooms, and thanks to my electronic dip stick allowing me to know exactly where the water level is, I have learned to work smarter instead of wearing myself trying to top off 9 containers. Today, each 5gal bucket that I mix up with SNS209, Terpinator and Sweet Candy, were split 2 ways and a little less than halfway filled each tub. Everything is safe, done right, but with a lot less work. I can repeat this in a week when it is time to top water again, and I should be able to water again to less than runoff following the same strategy, or just wait till it gets down in the last inch of rez water again... but that sounds dangerous.

Everyone is praying and looking strong in Bloom Room #2 and green has come back to the leaves, magnesium deficiency and potassium deficiency seem to be no longer a problem, and they are already starting to stretch. In this last day there has been significant growth.

DSCF2232.JPG
DSCF2231.JPG

Here is Candy Dawg, looking a lot lot better after her trim
DSCF2230.JPG
DSCF2229.JPG
DSCF2228.JPG

I don't hear many of the sippers talking about it yet, but I have with no doubt in my mind proven that the dreaded stall when coming from a traditional top water to SIP is not necessary and wastes valuable time. You are asking the plants to transition to a new way of doing things, so you need to also gradually, not all at once, transition from topwatering to SIP, by maintaining normal watering until you see the plants have been able to grab into the SIP water. It takes some adjustment on both sides of this partnership to gradually get things going without losing time.

The other factor in this dramatic growth and greening up in these rooms is in the once a week top watering so as to water the GeoFlora into the soil a second time. I think to improve the system even more I could set up a morning automatic misting of the soil... not much, but enough to keep the top layer active with raw nutrient and new microbes from the topfed GeoFlora. This is an experiment for another day, but for now the compromise of watering with additional PK once a week from the top seems to be working well.

In Bloom Room #1, we are at day 22 of bloom. These tubs also got a half a bucket of good stuff, and the plant in early need of additional support, needed more. Her tomato cage got a second side to it in order to support the leaners, and that may be all she needs.

The 3 tier tomato cage has set the bottom height for the lights, so now we know exactly where they are going to be. This has showed me where the tallest plants need to be supercropped to in order to get the lights in the right position, so the tallest plant got its tops bent over a little more and a new plant on the other side also got the treatment on one branch, it was of course another O. Gelato. There are still a few dying leaves in the centers of a couple of the plants, but I really believe with these tall things that it is more nutritional than anything else. I am watching this carefully for more clues.
DSCF2235.JPG
DSCF2234.JPG
DSCF2233.JPG

Seems to be a few ways folks are combatting this stall Em. This one of balancing top and below water seems a good one to me. Happy Valentines Day :love: :love:
Thank you my friend, and I hope you and Mrs Otter had a great Valentines day too.

I see a lot of designs that assume that starting the plants in a SIP, eliminates the stall. A plant is a plant is a plant, and there are certain rules that must be followed. Roots follow the water, but if there is too much water, a stall happens there too as the plant gets waterlogged and figures out how to deal with it all. A stall of a week or more just happens earlier in these wet systems.

You and I are very familiar with the wet/dry cycle and how to entice roots to grow by starving them of water periodically. We know we can create some massive plants that have superior root systems, before going into that final container and moving to a SIP. As you say, if we then can balance the water top and below from that point, we can avoid any setback at all, and there is never a stall and never a stressed plant. I guess I need to see a side by side of some of these early sipping methods compared against a normal wet/dry created rootball. Which method is fastest to bloom with at least 10 colas? Which provides for the largest plant in 60 days? The world still waits to find out. :love:
:morenutes:

I think the stall is largely related to the plant having to switch over to the fine feeder roots and away from the thicker water seeking roots. My pots are filled with mostly the fine feeder roots and only have the other type at the very top of the pot. Even very small plants seem to have to transition as the roots do start out as the typical, thick water seeking roots. But after a short move down, they morph into those fine feeder roots.

Your method of transitioning them over more slowly may very well allow the normal roots to feed the plant while it transitions over and lead to little to no observable pause.

Sorry for those crappy cell phone pictures, but I wanted to show you the future bud sites that were not yet forthcoming, and my big camera's batteries ran out as I was taking the shots I will now share here. Four more AA batteries have died a very honorable death.
DSCF2250.JPG
DSCF2249.JPG

Veg Room #2, or now Transition Room #2, is definitely up to something. The plants are really showing off now, spreading out and getting taller by the day. These plants are 78 days old, with Candy Dawg in the 5g bucket SIP an ancient 91 days old. They are all at day 12 of the @GeoFlora Nutrients 2 week feeding cycle, and looking great after only getting top water once a week. I have not even been tempted to top water again for any of these plants, for they are clearly happy with the SIP water they have found deeper down. In two more days they will get their next feeding of @GeoFlora Nutrients, this time the BLOOM formula.

As they have stretched upward, they were starting to get too close to the light. Looking carefully all around the room I can see little cases of the leaves beginning to cup, protecting themselves from the powerful rays coming from the big NextLight MEGA. The light was raised about 5 inches, to give us a luxurious 60K LUX or so at the canopy.
DSCF2251.JPG

In Bloom Room #1, we are at day 24 of Bloom, and the plants look gorgeous at this point. Again we are at day 12 in the feeding cycle, so they will get their next 2 week feed and top watering on Friday. Their water, both in the Rez and that which I top water with, is loaded up. Each 5 gallon bucket gets 40ml of @Sierra Natural Science SNS-209, 80ml of Terpinator, and two small scoops of GLN Sweet Candy 0-17-28, with its several different types of carbo sources, 20 amino acids, 70+ vitamins and minerals, isoflavonoids, anthocyanins, polyphenols, tannins and isoterpenes for superior aroma, potency and heavy yields. If you were to consider that I had a secret weapon, this would be it. Here is the result of all that goodness, my buds at 3.5 weeks:

DSCF2247.JPG
DSCF2246.JPG
DSCF2245.JPG
DSCF2241.JPG
DSCF2240.JPG
DSCF2239.JPG
DSCF2236.JPG

Today was the end of the 2 week @GeoFlora Nutrients feeding period, so they all got top fed with 2/3 cups of BLOOM, except for the Candy Dawg in her 5g SIP, who got 1/2 cup. They were all watered with 6 cups (2 of my watering pitchers) from the top, with water loaded up with Sweet Candy, Terpinator and SNS-209.

There are no signs of bugs anywhere, in either room. @Sierra Natural Science SNS-209 and SNS-203 have done their job. I still have two packets of SNS-217c on the shelf for spider mites, if I ever need them.

The girls in Bloom Room #1 are at day 26 of flower and about halfway to the finish. They will only be getting 1 more feeding of the Geoflora, but I will keep up with the extra PK by using Sweet Candy and Terpinator right up to the end. The problem in this next couple of weeks is going to be keeping up with branches that get too heavy to hold themselves up, but this is a good problem to have.

Bloom Room #2 is at 7 days into the transition, and still I am not seeing flowering on either of the varieties. I give them 1 extra day when the lights got a bit funny, but these are looking like some long running plants in their slowness to convert. I will have to look up the bloom times and make an evaluation later today as to when I expect to harvest these beauties. They are still stretching, and today they had all of their training hoops removed and given license to get taller if they want to. They also got their last of VEG trim, removing all the sucker growth down below and opening up the middle. I made quite a pile of debris trimming the 5 Headbands, but I think they will be a lot happier with their thinner look and ability to get more air.

The SIP reservoirs got dangerously empty after their half a bucket top off last weekend, so today I topped them off, to at least an inch from the top of the reservoir if not less. Everyone should get through the next week without needing water. The next top watering to get more GeoFlora down into the roots will happen in 1 week.

DSCF2255.JPG
DSCF2254.JPG
DSCF2253.JPG
DSCF2252.JPG

We are still not flowering.

Let's look at the genetics. First, the dope on Candy Dawg:
The most potent original OG variety that we have come across in several years of searching. Candy Dawg is a feminized photoperiod variety which has THC levels of 23%+ and has a distinctive sweet candy taste to complement the intense THC levels and rich OG Kush flavor. The genetics were produced by crossing a Candy Kush/ Chem Dawg hybrid with an exceptional OG Kush and selectively breeding the most potent offspring whilst maintaining the sweet OG candy taste and yields. Candy Dawg takes around 8-9 weeks of 12/12 bloom before harvest and grows well in any grow medium. The Kush genetics tend to produce medium height, bushy plants with yields which are well above average. The buds are firm and sticky, they are equally popular with medical and recreational smokers giving a potent high and strong body stone. Give Candy Kush an extra week or two in veg and she will reward you with extra heavy yields at harvest. Concentrate and oil producers will also find this to be an ideal variety. Top quality OG Kush, highly recommended.
95% Indica / 5% Sativa

Nothing there to indicate a long transition. We are at day 8 so far.

Let's look at the 818 Headbands:
Its flowering time is about 63-68 days.

10 weeks is definitely a long runner... no surprise with the long transition then.
The description sounds dangerous!!! I'm going to enjoy this.

Its name refers to increased pressure in the temple area. It happens because of the effect of THC levels on the dilation of blood vessels. 818 Headband is not a good idea for novices. lol

Side effects may include low blood pressure, slurred speech, rapid heartbeat, dry mouth, and eyes.
The Main Flavors
818 Headband impresses with its mix of aromas and tastes. Among them are:

• Diesel
  • Citrus
  • Chestnut
  • Blueberry
  • Chemical
  • Violet
  • Spicy
I can't wait!

They definitely loved getting fed yesterday along with all the other pampering. Everyone is standing strong, proud and green!
DSCF2261.JPG
DSCF2260.JPG
DSCF2259.JPG
DSCF2258.JPG
DSCF2257.JPG

Bloom Room #1 continues to impress. Again, they look bigger and stronger today, after the feeding and watering.
DSCF2262.JPG
DSCF2263.JPG
DSCF2264.JPG
DSCF2265.JPG

These are my first attempt at growing anything, 818 Headbands from Cali seeds, grown in soil using Fox Farm nutes, they are at a little over 4 weeks into flower.

The problem in this next couple of weeks is going to be keeping up with branches that get too heavy to hold themselves up, but this is a good problem to have.
Just as I was looking at my SIP saying to myself, these branches are so thick they won't need support in flower you write this. Your branches look girthy like mine. Sounds like SIPs make massive buds too! Sweet!

Just as I was looking at my SIP saying to myself, these branches are so thick they won't need support in flower you write this. Your branches look girthy like mine. Sounds like SIPs make massive buds too! Sweet!
Nice problem to have  if you can get flowers. ;)

My Headbands started flowering on day 9 of the transition, if I read them right.
Hi @Trendkill2 and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I greatly appreciate seeing your plants half way into bloom and this comment on the transition! Mine are very close to this day, so lets see how closely we track. I will head up there this afternoon to take some more pictures and based on your information, I expect to see Candy Dawg starting to bloom and my Headbands a couple of days away!

The Bloom Room deserves its own special post with all of these bud pictures and excitement going on in the room. We are at day 20 of bloom and we are already seeing some impressive development in these buds.

Houston, we have a problem!
Today we had our first droopy leaner... a stalk that just couldn't hold up the weight of these trichome covered buds. A one sided support was built to hold up that side of the plant, from my build as you go tomato cage kit. This tall plant needed 3 levels of stakes installed to take care of this problem... these are definitely some of the tallest plants I have seen for a while in these rooms. Here are the before and after pics.... first, the leaner...
DSCF2219.JPG

Then the fix. This is probably going to become common attire in this room, at least for the O. Gelato plants.
DSCF2227.JPG
DSCF2226.JPG

The plants all got a 2/3 watering from the top. Nutritionally, we are still behind a bit, but gaining. The water from the top was loaded, with a double helping of Sweet Candy, a heavy helping of Terpinator, and the ever present SNS-209.
I did a close inspection for mold and my spider mite tribe trying to survive in there, but could find neither. The mold has not been a problem since moving the big 1940's box fan into the room and the spidermites have been beaten again with combination of a lifetime of SNS-209 in the water combined with the killing power of SNS-203 spot spraying every few days and raising the RH in the room to the 60% level.

The buds at the 3 week point are looking wonderful. The big puffballs are the O. Gelato plants and the smaller buds with lots of trichomes already are the Critical Kush plants. Some are doing better than others, but no one is failing to impress. This is turning out to be a good run.

DSCF2225.JPG
DSCF2224.JPG
DSCF2223.JPG
DSCF2222.JPG
DSCF2221.JPG
DSCF2220.JPG
Those pistils are as perfectly Snow White as it gets. Beautiful.

Things are changing in Bloom Room #2. Candy Dawg probably started flowering yesterday, on day 9 of the transition. I don't blame her for her confusion because on the 2nd day we had a light malfunction, and I didn't notice the light had been off for most of that day and they only ended up getting about 4 hours of their 12 that day. Yesterday I got tied up running around and didn't get to the grow rooms. I will predict that she will be harvested 8-9 weeks from now.

818 Headband looks like she will start pistiling proper, tomorrow, on day 11 of the transition. Given 2 extra days for a reset after the light mishap, this makes perfect sense. She will be harvested 10 weeks from tomorrow... more or less.

Here is Candy Dawg
DSCF2269.JPG
DSCF2268.JPG

And the Headbands
DSCF2267.JPG
DSCF2266.JPG

And happy plants stretching up to make room for lots of buds
DSCF2272.JPG
DSCF2271.JPG
DSCF2270.JPG

Thank you everyone. It's really starting to come to a crescendo here in the grow rooms. First, everyone is now officially in bloom, and after a shaky start that showed us what happens if the light cycle gets interrupted at a critical point, everything got going, not more than 2 days apart across the two varieties. We are officially at Day 2 of Bloom. Here is a shot of each, starting with Candy Dawg:
DSCF2278.JPG

And here is 818 Headband:
DSCF2277.JPG

Since stretch starts about the time that the plants get the message that the lights have changed, we are now about a week into stretch, and the plants know it! I'm guessing we gained an inch or more just overnight last night. I still have about 6" to spare, but it is almost time to raise the light. I use the light as a disincentive for the plant to stretch, within reason, but if I see the plant react in any way it is time to raise them.... but, so far so good. I am betting that I raise them tomorrow or the next day.
DSCF2275.JPG
DSCF2274.JPG

I think the power went out for a second up there today when I was out, and not everything in the house noticed it. This computer stayed on for example... just another of those odd things that happen out here in the wilds of Missouri. This caused the oscillating fan there in Bloom Room #2 to go off, as well as the humidifier in Bloom Room #1. In Bloom #2 with these vigorously stretching plants had a problem in that moisture was already collecting on some of the leaves that were touching each other. These plants that are now sucking on these SIPS so strongly absolutely need the oscillating fan action to evaporate water or I would be having lots of problems. I need to look into that... a much better fan is needed for that room.

Then concentrating on Bloom Room #1, I took a close look at the numbers to see when harvest is next happening. It surprised me. The O. Gelatos are only 30 days away from a week long window of harvest. Here they are.
DSCF2281.JPG
DSCF2280.JPG
DSCF2279.JPG

The Critical Kush come the next week, making March a busy month. Here they are.
DSCF2284.JPG
DSCF2283.JPG
DSCF2282.JPG

I will get a week or two off in there in the middle of April, but then in the last week and coming into May, the girls in Bloom 1 will be getting ripe. June, July, August... the hot months are when you will find me relaxing. Missouri summers can be brutal, but I will have gobs and gobs of medicine... more than I could possibly use. I plan to stay well medicated, and this year concentrate on my tan and my outside garden, using much of what I have learned in here. That's the plan anyway... you know how they go.

Back
Top Bottom