CoffeeShopSeeds Sponsored Grow: Emmie’s Huge 1 Month Interval Constant Harvest

@Emilya, I'm super excited and I have to share, this seemed like the appropriate spot. I think you'll appreciate this, although I suspect people will say "I already do that, duh..." Lol. To me it was like discovering electricity.

We talk a lot about watering and how it's done. The part I feel is most important to target very very carefully with the water is the Dixie cup part. That's where the root building begins. So the question is, how to best target the water? My perfect world, I create a hollow cylinder of water that has the tap root inside it and dry dirt outside of it. Ideally, I want that so that I ONLY put water where I want the roots to go.

Well, that kind of targeting is almost impossible. We use misters. I use bottle caps. A half inch of water in the bottom of another Dixie cup. ANYTHING to try and target that water as effectively as possible.

Guess what? I stumbled like a fool onto the answer. Here it is. And a picture says 1000 words. No further explanation will be necessary. Just bask in the glory of the ULTIMATE targeted watering tool (lmao) :

IMG_0477 (1).jpg

@Emilya, I'm super excited and I have to share, this seemed like the appropriate spot. I think you'll appreciate this, although I suspect people will say "I already do that, duh..." Lol. To me it was like discovering electricity.

We talk a lot about watering and how it's done. The part I feel is most important to target very very carefully with the water is the Dixie cup part. That's where the root building begins. So the question is, how to best target the water? My perfect world, I create a hollow cylinder of water that has the tap root inside it and dry dirt outside of it. Ideally, I want that so that I ONLY put water where I want the roots to go.

Well, that kind of targeting is almost impossible. We use misters. I use bottle caps. A half inch of water in the bottom of another Dixie cup. ANYTHING to try and target that water as effectively as possible.

Guess what? I stumbled like a fool onto the answer. Here it is. And a picture says 1000 words. No further explanation will be necessary. Just bask in the glory of the ULTIMATE targeted watering tool (lmao) :

IMG_0477 (1).jpg
I need a big one like you have there. Even the little ones are very handy though... I use mine a lot when starting new seedlings.

Speaking of which, I see soil movement above all of the seeds in the cups at the beginning of day 3 and at least one is starting to break through to the surface. By this evening we should have pictures of a couple of the new plants at least... maybe more. Having no mice attacking seems to be an important factor.

The cups are still downstairs on the aquarium while we continue to watch for movement upstairs in Veg Room #1. There was a flurry of activity on the Veg Cam during the first 48 hours after setting the yummy poison out and I watched twice while all of my poison blocks were carried off by an enterprising young mouse, no doubt for the enjoyment of the rest of the nest. I put more blocks out to replace them, and as of this morning, half of the new ones have been carried off too. Suddenly last night and up to this very moment, there has been ZERO movement on the camera. I think that the poison must be working. If I still see no evidence of mouseal activity by tomorrow, I will be pretty well assured that the crisis is over and that it will be safe to put young seedings back under the good light in the grow room.

Later today I will be watering and doing bug re-evaluation in the Bloom Room and we will get some more pictures of the rapidly developing buds at days 18 and 20 of bloom 3 days after the latest feeding. I am delaying working up there until this afternoon, after my rolling planter carts have arrived.
rolling carts.jpg

I need a big one like you have there. Even the little ones are very handy though... I use mine a lot when starting new seedlings.

Speaking of which, I see soil movement above all of the seeds in the cups at the beginning of day 3 and at least one is starting to break through to the surface. By this evening we should have pictures of a couple of the new plants at least... maybe more. Having no mice attacking seems to be an important factor.

The cups are still downstairs on the aquarium while we continue to watch for movement upstairs in Veg Room #1. There was a flurry of activity on the Veg Cam during the first 48 hours after setting the yummy poison out and I watched twice while all of my poison blocks were carried off by an enterprising young mouse, no doubt for the enjoyment of the rest of the nest. I put more blocks out to replace them, and as of this morning, half of the new ones have been carried off too. Suddenly last night and up to this very moment, there has been ZERO movement on the camera. I think that the poison must be working. If I still see no evidence of mouseal activity by tomorrow, I will be pretty well assured that the crisis is over and that it will be safe to put young seedings back under the good light in the grow room.

Later today I will be watering and doing bug re-evaluation in the Bloom Room and we will get some more pictures of the rapidly developing buds at days 18 and 20 of bloom 3 days after the latest feeding. I am delaying working up there until this afternoon, after my rolling planter carts have arrived.
rolling carts.jpg
:rofl:: "Mouseal..."

I have the exact same wheels, but damnit I could only find them in black. Gotta get me some white ones, nice call. White and clear beats black and black for reflectivity by a mile.

So you going to give it another day or two before you officially declare them vanquished?

:rofl:: "Mouseal..."

I have the exact same wheels, but damnit I could only find them in black. Gotta get me some white ones, nice call. White and clear beats black and black for reflectivity by a mile.

So you going to give it another day or two before you officially declare them vanquished?
They had black ones and brown ones too, but white just made more sense.

Yes, another day or so at least seems prudent. Young seedlings are just too much of a temptation.

They had black ones and brown ones too, but white just made more sense.

Yes, another day or so at least seems prudent. Young seedlings are just too much of a temptation.
Seems your newly coined word is already a hit. Good stuff. And yeah, I bet they're really good, like caviar to them. And you think they're going to share? Hmm. Not so sure about that one. Lol!

If I still see no evidence of mouseal activity by tomorrow, I will be pretty well assured that the crisis is over and that it will be safe to put young seedings back under the good light in the grow room.

As someone who also had mice eating her seedlings, may I suggest putting a couple of traps near the cups just to be on the safe side? I'm sure the poison has worked but having a little extra insurance never hurts, in my opinion.

As someone who also had mice eating her seedlings, may I suggest putting a couple of traps near the cups just to be on the safe side? I'm sure the poison has worked but having a little extra insurance never hurts, in my opinion.
That is good advice, thank you @HashGirl ! There will be more poison too. I am concerned about the lack of light where the seedlings are now at and I have hit on an idea. Surely the little beasties would have trouble scaling the slick sides of a 5 gallon bucket to get to seedlings stacked on the top. All I need to do is move the lights higher.

The wheeled carts didn't show up until after lights out in the bloom room, so we are going to do all of that in the morning. Today we set the new seedlings back upstairs, under the powerful @Mars Hydro SP-3000, set to about 75%.
DSCF0336.JPG

Any mouse wanting some action has quite a task ahead of it. First, a 3 gallon hard sided contain has been set onto a 6 inch tall 500ml beaker with very slick sides, and on top of the large slick sided container is a drip tray overhanging the top, and in that drip tray are my 5 beer cups. I'm not saying its impossible... an acrobatic Mus musculus could climb the cord up to the light and leap off from there, but either access point is not going to be easy and I am betting that it won't happen. More tempting than the highwire act is some peanut butter on 4 snap traps and some yummy blue mouse poison in two places on the grow table.
DSCF0335.JPG

At this moment, I have the 3 ancient white widows above ground! One so far was a helmet head, but it was easily extracted. The others are working on getting their heads above ground, but part of the stem is already out. The three Vanilla Kush look like they are working on things and a few hours after watering a bit around the seed site, a mound has again risen above where the seeds should be. I am very hopeful that we will see those three tomorrow.
DSCF0339.JPG
DSCF0338.JPG
DSCF0337.JPG

It does appear that Veg Room #1 is finally starting to get rocking... I will have more of an update on the @CannaPot Bushmans and Amnesia plants in the Bloom Room tomorrow.

The wheeled carts didn't show up until after lights out in the bloom room, so we are going to do all of that in the morning. Today we set the new seedlings back upstairs, under the powerful @Mars Hydro SP-3000, set to about 75%.
DSCF0336.JPG

Any mouse wanting some action has quite a task ahead of it. First, a 3 gallon hard sided contain has been set onto a 6 inch tall 500ml beaker with very slick sides, and on top of the large slick sided container is a drip tray overhanging the top, and in that drip tray are my 5 beer cups. I'm not saying its impossible... an acrobatic Mus musculus could climb the cord up to the light and leap off from there, but either access point is not going to be easy and I am betting that it won't happen. More tempting than the highwire act is some peanut butter on 4 snap traps and some yummy blue mouse poison in two places on the grow table.
DSCF0335.JPG

At this moment, I have the 3 ancient white widows above ground! One so far was a helmet head, but it was easily extracted. The others are working on getting their heads above ground, but part of the stem is already out. The three Vanilla Kush look like they are working on things and a few hours after watering a bit around the seed site, a mound has again risen above where the seeds should be. I am very hopeful that we will see those three tomorrow.
DSCF0339.JPG
DSCF0338.JPG
DSCF0337.JPG

It does appear that Veg Room #1 is finally starting to get rocking... I will have more of an update on the @CannaPot Bushmans and Amnesia plants in the Bloom Room tomorrow.
Get those damn mice lmao

DSCF0336.JPG

DSCF0335.JPG

DSCF0339.JPG
DSCF0338.JPG
DSCF0337.JPG

Lmao!! If you find footage of a mouse who can beat this setup, I want to take him public and make him a star. Betcha I can get him on some Simon Cowell show. Especially if he does the swing from the rope trick. Yay! Seedlings!

Over in the bloom room, in the @CannaPot sponsored grow, the Bushmans and Amnesias are doing well. A few bugs seem to be trying to come back, so today they got sprayed with @Sierra Natural Science 's SNS 203. I will watch closely to determine if this spraying needs to continue for 2 or 3 rounds to stop this generation of the thrips or if this one spray will knock them back again.

DSCF0342.JPG
DSCF0341.JPG

Today we are at day 20 of bloom, 199 of the grow. The blooms look to be about at the right age and for this stage of the bloom cycle, the frosting is incredible. The plants are all starting to get top heavy and will need some vertical support soon, especially as they all start rolling around in the dark when no one is looking, now that they have fancy new wheels.

DSCF0343.JPG

Today has also been a good day over in veg room #1. Since this morning, 2 of the 3 Vanilla Kush have reached the surface and are trying to pull their heads out of the ground. The third one will arrive by morning, clearly raising soil up above its location. Mouse action has been non-existent. I am super impressed with the poison that was recommended by our local expert... it seems that they have indeed all been chased outside looking for water at the well in the backyard. @Jon 's method of dealing with seedlings has been very impressive, but I will say that all 3 of the White Widows needed helmet operations to get the cotyledons to spring apart... usually an indication that they were not planted quite deep enough. We will experiment with the depth of the divot next time to see if we can find a more perfect depth. One of the three White Widows is going to have a damaged cotyledon because of this, but it has already sent out its first true leaves and is going to be fine, despite the rough birth.

DSCF0340.JPG

Here are the bud shots:

Bushmans
DSCF0345.JPG
DSCF0344.JPG

Amnesia
DSCF0347.JPG
DSCF0346.JPG

Over in the bloom room, in the @CannaPot sponsored grow, the Bushmans and Amnesias are doing well. A few bugs seem to be trying to come back, so today they got sprayed with @Sierra Natural Science 's SNS 203. I will watch closely to determine if this spraying needs to continue for 2 or 3 rounds to stop this generation of the thrips or if this one spray will knock them back again.

DSCF0342.JPG
DSCF0341.JPG

Today we are at day 20 of bloom, 199 of the grow. The blooms look to be about at the right age and for this stage of the bloom cycle, the frosting is incredible. The plants are all starting to get top heavy and will need some vertical support soon, especially as they all start rolling around in the dark when no one is looking, now that they have fancy new wheels.

DSCF0343.JPG

Today has also been a good day over in veg room #1. Since this morning, 2 of the 3 Vanilla Kush have reached the surface and are trying to pull their heads out of the ground. The third one will arrive by morning, clearly raising soil up above its location. Mouse action has been non-existent. I am super impressed with the poison that was recommended by our local expert... it seems that they have indeed all been chased outside looking for water at the well in the backyard. @Jon 's method of dealing with seedlings has been very impressive, but I will say that all 3 of the White Widows needed helmet operations to get the cotyledons to spring apart... usually an indication that they were not planted quite deep enough. We will experiment with the depth of the divot next time to see if we can find a more perfect depth. One of the three White Widows is going to have a damaged cotyledon because of this, but it has already sent out its first true leaves and is going to be fine, despite the rough birth.

DSCF0340.JPG

Here are the bud shots:

Bushmans
DSCF0345.JPG
DSCF0344.JPG

Amnesia
DSCF0347.JPG
DSCF0346.JPG
Great update! Yes, if there's a downside to my method, it is that the depth of the divot is a sensitive issue. I have had the exact same thing happen. More than once. Someone suggested that the dry topping has less weight and "stickiness" to help remove the coatings from friction, which I found potentially apropos. And the depth is related to the length of the sprout when the tail goes in. The longer the tail root, the better things seem to go for me. If I can wait until the sprouted seed has a tail about 1/2" when it hits the dirt I feel real confident about it. So far I've always been able to assist the little ladies in shedding any flarf from the sprout.

Great update! Yes, if there's a downside to my method, it is that the depth of the divot is a sensitive issue. I have had the exact same thing happen. More than once. Someone suggested that the dry topping has less weight and "stickiness" to help remove the coatings from friction, which I found potentially apropos. And the depth is related to the length of the sprout when the tail goes in. The longer the tail root, the better things seem to go for me. If I can wait until the sprouted seed has a tail about 1/2" when it hits the dirt I feel real confident about it. So far I've always been able to assist the little ladies in shedding any flarf from the sprout.
I think next time I am going to do exactly the same thing that I did last time, except I am going to add another half inch of dry soil on top, filling more than just the divot. We shall see soon, remember that I am starting new seeds each and every month from here on out.

Today Veg Room #1 reports that 5/6 new plants are up and have their first true leaves out. One of the ancient Vanilla Kush has not yet reached the surface and I suspect that she tried, but could not make it to the light. We will give her a couple of days, but I suspect she is a no show. The two new VKs did not need any help pulling off their traveling clothes and this morning they greeted me looking very healthy and vigorous. The three white widows also look good, the one with the damaged cotyledon a little less so, but keeping up nicely, maybe a day behind.
DSCF0359.JPG

They were all watered almost to runoff... but it is doubtful that the tap root has already gotten to the bottom, so we will hold off on a full watering until next time and then we will start tracking the wet/dry cycle. The clock is now started and I will be accelerating my normal way of doing things, because I want to see these plants uppotting fairly rapidly, from solo to 1 gallon to 5 gallon upon moving to Veg Room #2 in 30 days. On that next watering, they will also be getting their first taste of @GeoFlora Nutrients VEG.
DSCF0360.JPG

The powerful @Mars Hydro SP-3000 had to be turned way down... 75% might be ok for coaxing seedlings to the surface, but it was way too much for young seedlings. I have turned it down to 25% so we have a LUX of 15k at the canopy. This will start rising to a max of about 30k in this room, more when they get to Veg Room #2 with the big @NextLight 420h supplying their needs.

Today Veg Room #1 reports that 5/6 new plants are up and have their first true leaves out. One of the ancient Vanilla Kush has not yet reached the surface and I suspect that she tried, but could not make it to the light. We will give her a couple of days, but I suspect she is a no show. The two new VKs did not need any help pulling off their traveling clothes and this morning they greeted me looking very healthy and vigorous. The three white widows also look good, the one with the damaged cotyledon a little less so, but keeping up nicely, maybe a day behind.
DSCF0359.JPG

They were all watered almost to runoff... but it is doubtful that the tap root has already gotten to the bottom, so we will hold off on a full watering until next time and then we will start tracking the wet/dry cycle. The clock is now started and I will be accelerating my normal way of doing things, because I want to see these plants uppotting fairly rapidly, from solo to 1 gallon to 5 gallon upon moving to Veg Room #2 in 30 days. On that next watering, they will also be getting their first taste of @GeoFlora Nutrients VEG.
DSCF0360.JPG

The powerful @Mars Hydro SP-3000 had to be turned way down... 75% might be ok for coaxing seedlings to the surface, but it was way too much for young seedlings. I have turned it down to 25% so we have a LUX of 15k at the canopy. This will start rising to a max of about 30k in this room, more when they get to Veg Room #2 with the big @NextLight 420h supplying their needs.
Wow, that's a rather aggressive up potting goal, no? Isn't that way faster than you would normally do it? I suppose this is a necessity in order to maintain the continuous harvest, correct? So why even use the 1?

Wow, that's a rather aggressive up potting goal, no? Isn't that way faster than you would normally do it? I suppose this is a necessity in order to maintain the continuous harvest, correct? So why even use the 1?
Yes, it is quite a bit faster, but by watering around the edges I can create a quite adequate rootball in the beer cup in short order, and then 1 gallon is a perfect next step to keep that process going, knowing that these first very constricted containers are the best chance to get the start of a dense rootball spanning the entire 1 gallon container. Then with that solid core, I feel confident that in that second month, again by watering the edges religiously, I can create an adequate rootball in the 5 gallon by the end of that second month and during the two weeks of stretch. It is my belief that I can go from 1 to 5 and within 6 weeks develop enough of a rootball to give me a 3 day wet/dry cycle. We will see what happens.

Today I put out the first bits of my build as you go tomato cages. Its hardly right to call them cages though, as both of the plants getting the treatment were able to be propped up adequately for now, with just one wall of the triangle in place. It makes no sense to build an entire cage for a plant just needing help on one side.

This will change as time goes on and the buds get heavier and heavier, but as of today we have 2 plants getting some additional support.

Before:
DSCF0355.JPG

After:

DSCF0357.JPG
DSCF0356.JPG

One mighty wall of support:

DSCF0354.JPG

Back
Top Bottom