Container sized question

dba1954

Let's start by saying I'm a handicapped senior and cant use stairs. I have my grow unfortunately in the basement that my wife tends to but lugs the plants upstairs when needed. Because of this I am limited to 3 gall containers so that she can lift (she is a senior too). I want to know if there are any benefits to growing a photoperiod plant (over autos) in a 3 gallon container ? Simple question, are there benefits or should I stay with the autos? Bigger yield, potency, less grow problems... whatever without changing the location of my grow.

Let's start by saying I'm a handicapped senior and cant use stairs. I have my grow unfortunately in the basement that my wife tends to but lugs the plants upstairs when needed. Because of this I am limited to 3 gall containers so that she can lift (she is a senior too). I want to know if there are any benefits to growing a photoperiod plant (over autos) in a 3 gallon container ? Simple question, are there benefits or should I stay with the autos? Bigger yield, potency, less grow problems... whatever without changing the location of my grow.
Hi dba1954 - some strains of autos grow so fast and turn to solid bud in much smaller pots
Just to be clear: 3 US Gallon is 3.7L x 3 = +/- 10L pots ~ I use 5L pots = +/- 1.5 US Gallon pots
Granted, the plants will be smaller [and lighter], but you can easily yield 100g [4oz] per plant in smaller pots
I only use bigger pots for photos that will veg for 12 weeks

Hi dba1954 - some strains of autos grow so fast and turn to solid bud in much smaller pots
Just to be clear: 3 US Gallon is 3.7L x 3 = +/- 10L pots ~ I use 5L pots = +/- 1.5 US Gallon pots
Granted, the plants will be smaller [and lighter], but you can easily yield 100g [4oz] per plant in smaller pots
I only use bigger pots for photos that will veg for 12 weeks
interesting, I had no idea you could use 1.5 gallon pots with that kind of yield, going to try it !

interesting, I had no idea you could use 1.5 gallon pots with that kind of yield, going to try it !
This is Green Crack in a 5L pot about 3-4 weeks into flower
No signs of deficiency or being root bound

dsc_1357-jpg.2521194

:hookah:

hey there dba, I get nice 2, 3, and 4g plastic containers from a caterer friend, and I've got a few at the local grocery stores bakery with nice handles she would be able to flip up to help carry the bucket.

this is a little bigger being a 4g bucket, but you dont need to fill it up all the way and there is a nice handle

maybe try hempy. i grow in 2L and 5L buckets. 1L in hempy is equal to 1 gallon in other media.

Mate, I grow photoperiod plants in 9L plastic buckets, think that's about 2 gallon, and that's heaps big enough.
I only use bigger pots when I just want to see bigger plants....hehe.

If I'm not prying, what do you need to take them upstairs for? You should be able to put them there and not move them until harvest.
I have a shite back too, so I feel your pain.
I use lots of lil tricks to make it easier on my back.
Just got to get creative.👍

Depends on the grow style. I can get big plants in 1 gallon pots growing in coco coir using hydro nutes. Soil I'd need a 3 gal pot to come close but with soil the larger the pot the larger the plant.
20200712_210212.jpg

20200319_180143.jpg

1 gal cloth pot of coco coir.

Here's a Cherry Wine hemp in a 1/2 gal plastic nursery pot
20220709_080954.jpg

Give them what they need and you'll be happy with the end product, even if you grow some of them in solo cups😉
20230223_103926.jpg

The one up front on the left is in a 1/2 gal pot.

Photos are more forgiving than Auto’s, because of the fast growing time they’re ez to stunt. CL🍀
True story.

I have topped a few autos but unless they're growing real fast I don't bother.

I know what you're saying but if you can grow regs well autos will do just fine. If you're having issues with over/under watering or fertilizing regulars, autos will not do well.

A few years ago I set up our youngest (21 at the time) with 2 auto plants in 2 gal clay pots of soil. He over watered and stunted them badly. Not a good choice for a first grow. These days we go golfing together. I bring my vape and he quit smoking🤣

Mate, I grow photoperiod plants in 9L plastic buckets, think that's about 2 gallon, and that's heaps big enough.
I only use bigger pots when I just want to see bigger plants....hehe.

If I'm not prying, what do you need to take them upstairs for? You should be able to put them there and not move them until harvest.
I have a shite back too, so I feel your pain.
I use lots of lil tricks to make it easier on my back.
Just got to get creative.👍
I bring them up for LST, check general health and to check trichomes. I love growing plants, I'd go crazy not seeing them at least once a week

I bring them up for LST, check general health and to check trichomes. I love growing plants, I'd go crazy not seeing them at least once
I can understand that.👍
At least the missus will stay fit.....hehe.😁

like today, found out it grew 4.5" in 5 days

for light weight lifting and ease of moving stuff around... these

full

were all grown in a bucket this size

full

it's a straight perlite media. when they are dry they weigh feathers. a 2yr old can move them. it's a good method for seniors etc. i showed the method to a bunch of retired folk at a local cannabis awareness club. i use shelving units to lift them from the floor so there's less bending. most plants finish in the 3 - 4 ft range.

I have my grow unfortunately in the basement that my wife tends to but lugs the plants upstairs when needed. Because of this I am limited to 3 gall containers so that she can lift (she is a senior too).
Understandable. I do not like lifting 3 gallon pots unless I have to. And carrying even a 3 gallon pot up the stairs and then back down a little while later, oh, that has to be rough. I tried it at one time but not for me.

I want to know if there are any benefits to growing a photoperiod plant (over autos) in a 3 gallon container ? Simple question, are there benefits or should I stay with the autos? Bigger yield, potency, less grow problems...
I am partial to the photo-period plants even though playing around with several auto-flowers is starting to interest me.

If you can take cuttings off of your plant or plants and get them to root then it is possible to do 1 oz per clone in 1.5 gallons of soil. Figuring about 12 inches for the pot and 18 to 24 inches for the plant while in flower makes any carrying around fairly easy.

I don't willingly grow autos. I was recently sold seeds from a seller who although they were supposed to be photo turned out flowering themselves way too early. That seller is off my list to do business with.

The advantage of growing in a 3 gallon pot is that you can move them. I move mine to force flowering by sticking them in a dark room for 12-14 hours per day. You can't do that with a 10-50 gallon pot.

Back
Top Bottom