Cottage 420's Organic Perpetual Indoor Garden

You really got the colors popping over here...... Extremely sweet looking plant. Hey Super Cropping fills a need... I like to do a figure Sing and then lanky women. Tie a wire around the top and a fairly strong spot but flexable. Pull down on the wire till it's bent over to where ya need it and then tie the other end to the mainstem. Upsides down U,, till it grows back toward the light,, then looks like a S. tieing them gals up,,, reminds me,,,,

This Guy gets out the joint after being slamed for 5 years. His girlfriend picks him up at the gate. Acouple drinks and he's wanting to get busy,, So she tells him to tie her to the bedposts and as sexy as she can be says'''' baby,,,,do what you do best''''' So he takes her TV and VCR and runs out the door? Oh well

When I was a kid,,, my grandpa had a 'bait box'. like 12X12 board made from a fiber type material and a locking lid. We use to put redworms in it,, and feed them some oatmeals and the sucker wood live for up to a year if I remember right and by then,, that wood be a bit of castings. We use to 'raise our own bait, nightcrawlers and redworms,, but for fishing. After a rain certain time of the year nightcrawlers are everywhere in the lawns. We'd catch as many as possible and put them in an area of cool loose soil and feed them and they will stay where the feeding is good. Enriching that area till overpopulated... Then they go fishing with me. Looking for Blue Gill and Catfish,,, but then you have a worm shit area already. And that bait box was too small cept for bait.. But I thought it was cool the worms survived for a year in that box......

Everything from kitchen scraps but no meat/fat/dairy (attracts vermin and smells). Almost everything we clean out of the garden. NO citrus.. worms will avoid them. leaves are great input and use them as a layer to keep the heap aerated. Best to mulch them with a mower to break em up but not required for sure. Grass clippings are great too..Coffee grounds are GREAT ... VERY good keeps the worms working overtime.

I grow Comfrey (Bocking 14 its sterile) just for the compost bin. Cut them down to the crown about 6 times a season. Stuff em in the bin to over flow. Worms go wild and Comfrey is a green manure so it will heat up... worms move down or to the sides until heat dissipates. There's some science to it but it's not all that critical. The important part is "quality in = quality out" so I don't put paper/cardboard that kind of stuff in there.

Every few months I throw in some rock dust, crab shell meal, alfalfa meal... anything you wanna amend soil with you can put in the bin and the nutrients will be ready when you make a batch of soil.Gotta keep the bin covered tho.. or rain water washes away the goodness mainly the Nitrogen... which isn't a good thing. We want to keep that in the bin so its there when we mix up some soil. The science says 70% brown matter to 30% green matter...I've read up on all the science and there's a lot of it and it gets pretty serious science with advanced math formulas and all kinds of stuff. Crazy but hey they figured it out and it works for sure.Basically all we do in mainly kitchen scraps and amend with extras from the gardens and leaves. It's all going to break down and it it doesn't that's what the screen is for. The stuff that doesn't break down this time will go back into the bin and it will break down eventually.I've been doing this since the 70s and never really worried too much about the ratios. Just only put in quality food ... think of the worms as your pets and feed accordingly. There's bacteria and fungi also in the bin even more so than worms.
So there's a trifecta going on... keep a balance and everthing will work out.

2 things from the kitchen I don't add in:
1) egg shells (even washed crushed) a lot of work washing then you need grind them up... may as well cook em and put them in some vinegar. They take WAY too long to compost.

2) citrus - worms don't like citrus.. must be a PH thing.

There is absolutely nothing better for soil than vermi-compost you make your self.

If you burn hardwood fires for heat can add in some of the charcoals or even the ash but go easy.. add a little at a time = shovel full, not buckets at a time.

Common sense... always good.
I have tried adding an additional ingredient this year to my bins...fresh seaweed. I live on the coast of Maine and have access to unlimited supplies of it, so figured it was worth seeing how well the worms break it down....gave it a light rinse and used it in conjunction with some aged compost to get the bins started this summer. I will be more than impressed if they break it down, because it is a pain in the ass to chop up before it goes into the soil. We raise chickens and eat a lot of eggs and throw our shells in (we crush them well). Worms need grit to digest, which egg shells provide. I also like the fact that the shells provide a type of soil aeration with their (non-composted) structure, plus there is the opportunity for calcium to leech from them just as minerals leech from granite dust or other rock additives.

You really got the colors popping over here...... Extremely sweet looking plant. Hey Super Cropping fills a need... I like to do a figure Sing and then lanky women. Tie a wire around the top and a fairly strong spot but flexable. Pull down on the wire till it's bent over to where ya need it and then tie the other end to the mainstem. Upsides down U,, till it grows back toward the light,, then looks like a S. tieing them gals up,,, reminds me,,,,

This Guy gets out the joint after being slamed for 5 years. His girlfriend picks him up at the gate. Acouple drinks and he's wanting to get busy,, So she tells him to tie her to the bedposts and as sexy as she can be says'''' baby,,,,do what you do best''''' So he takes her TV and VCR and runs out the door? Oh well

Hey buddy, I would not use wire as it will cut into the plant. Use soft ties, string, or heavier wire and just loop it over the stem, do not tie it.
Funny joke.

GR

Hey buddy, I would not use wire as it will cut into the plant. Use soft ties, string, or heavier wire and just loop it over the stem, do not tie it.
Funny joke.

GR

On 1 plant I used wire to tie down the top bent over upside down U like Woody suggested. I suck at training but at least this will give the plants side nodes a chance to catch up. I tied another top bent over with a yo-yo. These plants really do like these lights, they grow right into them until they burn up. The 3rd one I just bent her over but the top snapped, thought it was a goner but she repaired herself and perked right up.

Woody the red wigglers can live 3 years or so in the right conditions.
I use both reds and euro-night crawlers those big ones. They do good work. The worm poop is why my plants grow so well. That and the kelp meal.

Blew - those bins look awesome.. I would expect the worms will break them down. Does your chickens eat that stuff? I know they prolly eat the bugs that hang around that stuff. You can compost that .... I would lay it out on the driveway and let it dry out in the sun then chop it some and into a pile with some other goodies.

Thats the stuff they make kelp meal from. The seaweed with all the nodules (air sacks?) on it... that's the good stuff right there. I think its called Ascophyllum nodosum.

Air dry it = animal feed. My dogs eat the refined version they sell at the Asian store in thin sheets. I think they use it to make those Japanese Sushi Rolls. They gobble that shit up like its raw hamburger. Must be healthy or they wouldn't eat it. Dogs somehow know what minerals and vitamins they need and what foods have what they need. I know it's fed to cows and that's why they call it Kelp MEAL. Good shit right there. Thanks for sharing.

We eat a lot of eggs too. Just picked up 16 dozen for $30. That's more than a month worth. Organic free range ... they eat bugs not corn and the eggs look completely different than store bought.
Yokes are almost red, well reddish orange. Yes the shells broken up are great for the worms and they eventually will break down into Calcium. It just takes forever.
I agree with you on the crushed egg shells for aeration. Probably the best use for them.

Hey Blue Hiller.. wow just checked out your journal. You have a link or more pics of your green house setup?? That's pretty slick... looks home made and of good quality. I'm assuming its handled lots of snow in winter time?? I'll catch up on your journal.

Blew - those bins look awesome.. I would expect the worms will break them down. Does your chickens eat that stuff? I know they prolly eat the bugs that hang around that stuff. You can compost that .... I would lay it out on the driveway and let it dry out in the sun then chop it some and into a pile with some other goodies.

Thats the stuff they make kelp meal from. The seaweed with all the nodules (air sacks?) on it... that's the good stuff right there. I think its called Ascophyllum nodosum.

Air dry it = animal feed. My dogs eat the refined version they sell at the Asian store in thin sheets. I think they use it to make those Japanese Sushi Rolls. They gobble that shit up like its raw hamburger. Must be healthy or they wouldn't eat it. Dogs somehow know what minerals and vitamins they need and what foods have what they need. I know it's fed to cows and that's why they call it Kelp MEAL. Good shit right there. Thanks for sharing.

We eat a lot of eggs too. Just picked up 16 dozen for $30. That's more than a month worth. Organic free range ... they eat bugs not corn and the eggs look completely different than store bought.
Yokes are almost red, well reddish orange. Yes the shells broken up are great for the worms and they eventually will break down into Calcium. It just takes forever.
I agree with you on the crushed egg shells for aeration. Probably the best use for them.

Hey Blue Hiller.. wow just checked out your journal. You have a link or more pics of your green house setup?? That's pretty slick... looks home made and of good quality. I'm assuming its handled lots of snow in winter time?? I'll catch up on your journal.

The bins are fish crates (13 gallons) that can stack and hold more than I can lift. I currently have 40x of them with worms, as I am planning a large summer grow next summer (65-gallon pots) and I need the VC.

That seaweed is much harder to cut up when wet...it gets like jerky. The only thing I can think of that would properly deal with it dried is a chipper...or worms .

Yes, there are some construction photos of my GH on my journal. It is an insulated, active solar, aquaponic GH. The triple-wall polycarbonate on it is definitely stronger than the 6mm plastic on my high tunnel. The current GH for cannabis is 12x24 and you can see in my journal I have a larger one (16x48') which I hope to grow in next year (when I am done with my USDA contract....legal in Maine but illegal Federally)

We have a summer rental and we give guests eggs and jam (and sometime honey or syrup) and we have to leave a note saying "don't be alarmed - fresh eggs look this way"!

every time I come to your journal I leave a big pool on my phone
:drool::drool::drool:

plants look awesome, can't wait to see you run those new genetics you grabbed as well! The hyenas are going to be awesome!

I'm in love with @Blew Hiller s greenhouse
.. Hope to mimic a smaller version for my own use.

question about the worms, I wanna start a bin. Wife won't let me have them inside, what do I do come winter? Just put the bins in my shed till spring? Or let the snow cover them and the worms go dormant?

question about the worms, I wanna start a bin. Wife won't let me have them inside, what do I do come winter? Just put the bins in my shed till spring? Or let the snow cover them and the worms go dormant?

The worms I leave outside over winter die off, and I just consider that the last addition to the VC. I have not seen any alive come spring, but I also make no effort...they hit -F temps. I have read you can dig a hole and bury them and that would be my path if I had no other option.

Some great ideas for worm bins :) And plants look fantastic :thumb: Hmm I just dig out worms and put them in my air-pots. They probably die, but it adds to my excitement :laugh:

every time I come to your journal I leave a big pool on my phone
:drool::drool::drool:

plants look awesome, can't wait to see you run those new genetics you grabbed as well! The hyenas are going to be awesome!

I'm in love with @Blew Hiller s greenhouse
.. Hope to mimic a smaller version for my own use.

Thanks PJ, yeah the Buffalato is freaking good weed bro. Getting close to my new favorite. It's got everything and VERY easy to grow. Just at the end, where I'm at with her now, the branches aren't terribly strong, so when the bud swell happens the girls dress falls down. I'm talking almost every side branch does a flop so its an hour or so tying everything back up. She's about done.

Prolly could chop her now but waiting for better weather w/ less humidity. Unless power outage later today. We are about to be in a serious tornado watch. A friend 100 miles west of hear just got hammered.

Its freaking hotter than hell 94F and 100RH - walking & my shirt is soaked with sweat. All gonna change tho when the storm front moves thru. Gonna go from 95F to 65F in 15 minutes. Friend said lightning, wind, rain, hail and tornadoes.

Worms in the winter time. The red wigglers can tolerate down to freezing but once frozen they toast. But the cold weather prompts them to lay cocoons which can tolerate much much colder temps. So as soon as the thaw happens they are back on the job. In a moderately cold (not this year) winter they can overwinter as long as they don't freeze.

Worm wranglers move bins indoors in winter... meh. By the time winter happens here on the EC USA - the vermi-compost bin is full and we are working out of a new bin. So I let it go until spring (now) and am working on screening the compost.
There's already worms alive and well deep down and in the middle of the bin. They may have made it thru the winter for all I know. They probably did because the ones I'm finding are adult size. That takes a month or so minimum.

HEy Blew what USDA contract are you working on.. seafood or ?? If you don't mind me asking.

I'll take a look at your journal and go thru it some more and find the GH, sounds like you have more than 1??

HEy Blew what USDA contract are you working on.. seafood or ?? If you don't mind me asking. I'll take a look at your journal and go thru it some more and find the GH, sounds like you have more than 1??

USDA contract was $ for the "High" Tunnel...:laugh:...funny, that never even occurred to me. Anyway, that is not secure/discreet enough for my tastes anyway...

This, though, is the one I want to use in the future.

Blew Hill... :eek: :high-five: :surf: :passitleft:

Showed my wife your greenhouses. You got: "I apprrrroove" (Russian accent).

The active solar house. How did you make it "active" - do you have panels on the back side with a water/liquid & pump system?? Thinking reverse refrigerator but sun powered??

Go big bro, awesome.

Jurrasic Round - 2018.

Flower pics:

Buffalato #3 - I'm going with "Incredible Bulk" :rofl:

Buffalato #3 - frosting up this plant was nothing nothing nothing until day 50 then nug show. Very few pistols the whole round too. I thought there for a while she got pollinated somehow.

Buffalato Jurassic look

Buffalato nugs

DT #9 - She's sitting quietly in the corner fattening up. Once I harvest Buffalato we will see how she's doing.

BH #2 - main cola... starting to get real.

Next round a few getting going. I found a seed on my seedling table and I think it was a Buffalato or Dolato seed I dropped and then found it cleaning up.

Looks like a Buffalato when they get started

Mystery seed #1:

This one is a tester from a pack of seeds I got from a guy in Ontario.
I didn't have very good luck with seed germination. I think I tried to pop 5 seeds and only 1 made it. The seeds were pretty small too, so maybe a keeper?? Pretty hard to say when only 1 seed makes it.

No name yet, here's the strain description.

We took the Sticky Illegal Alien (Alien grenades x Alien sour diesel) and crossed it with out Crystal covered BOGD Male
Breath of green dragon = (Hindu kush x Afghan kush) x Blueberry Trainwreck

Illegal Alien x Breath of Green Dragon - breeder

Here's my plant - reg seeds so could be male. But doesn't smell like a male yet.

We took the Sticky Illegal Alien (Alien grenades x Alien sour diesel) and crossed it with out Crystal covered BOGD Male
Breath of green dragon = (Hindu kush x Afghan kush) x Blueberry Trainwreck

Illegal Alien x Breath of Green Dragon - breeder

I hope it turns blue. I'd love to see that. Your Buffalato buds look yummy. Mud at the Preakness this weekend. Good Magic for me.

:bongrip:

I get the Mykes locally ... Gonna have to try the Xtreme Gardening gear. It's only got 1 species but its the right 1 and the price is good.

It's got a fancy label so.... gotta take a peak under the covers... yikes. All good, my next purchase.

Bezos... should have bought stock ... WTF was I thinking? I'm sure he made a shit ton of millionaires in addition to changing shopping culture in America.

When I drive to the local garden center... it's actually a special feeling for me.. 1 of the only places I actually "shop" for anything. I have a nice selection of composts, peat moss's and annual and perennial flowers.

I had a chat with the Xtreme Gardening man at an indoor growing convention a few years back. I complimented him on growing a single mycorrhizal forming strain. I suggested, like mushrooms in logs, one strain will eventually become locally dominant, so why start with many. He said "You get it!" and reaffirmed it works that way.

His father developped the strain for fruit/nut tree farming in Montana? Field tested for hardiness in a strip of land alongside the interstate for several years. The sun took the family 'heirloom' strain and repackaged for indoor gardening/ cannabis gardening. It's that intraradices strain we all love.

It was a nice chat. You never know with sales people, but since he was out of samples and mykos product, if he was playing a con it was the long game :)

I was told this is a good thread to visit to ask a question. Actually Bob told me! LOL I'm relatively new to indoor growing and recently invested in a 260w QB light for my flowering tent. This is what I believe to be correct, but I want to check with those a lot more experienced then myself. I believe the light should be as close to the tops of the plants as the plants will allow. The manufacturer doesn't provide any information with regard to this question.

And my second question. I have 4 plants ready to go into the flowering tent. Typically I would put them up on boxes to get them closer to the light, and also make it easier for me to get down to the plants with my bum back. The strain I am growing was the first strain I grew indoors and that was this past winter. The four plants are clones off that plant. Anyway, that mother plant stretched about 10 inches up on the box. If I were to put those 4 plants right on the floor and skip the boxes would they stretch more then 10 inches? The boxes are about 11" tall.

I run 288 and 304 QB’s and I usually run full power with the light around 24” from the plant. You still have over 1000 ppfd at the canopy and keeping the light slightly farther away coverage and penetration actually increase.

Back
Top Bottom