Crawdaddy's Fall 2013 LED Test Grow

Re-engineered the light hanging mechanism a bit, now the light is 14" from tallest top, and I got another 4-6" before having to redo it again. If I was to mount 2 inches from top I got another good 2 feet i think at least.

I emailed the LED company asking about light distance.

Thank you for your inquiry with Advancedledlights, I am glad to help you!

We recommend 30" from seedling/clone and 20" to 24" from the plant canopy at all times with a minimum of 18" away from the plant canopy at all times.

If you need any more information feel free to email me or contact me at the number below.

Thank you,

I was considering this light but... I just don't have the height available in my flower box to use this. I have about 10 inches or less by the time my plants get big.

Current grow: No journal for this one
P10006501.JPG

The advance light uses 3w LEDs so I think that's why they say to keep it as far away as they do.

I am thinking about a 2w LED or 1w LED, maybe 2 of them in the 100w light range. These could be closer to the canopy. The 1w LED/90 watt light can be 6" from the canopy. *I got a headache from trying to research all these LED's.

I would hate to buy something that I can't use :(

But on a positive note. Nice grow! :adore: Crawdaddy

So far I have not had any signs of burn/bleach, but remains to be seen. I am thinking they are pretty conservative in their suggestions just to not have people blame them for burning/bleaching plants.

How much taller are your plants going to get? I would be hesitant to get 1w LEDs, in my research most said worthless for flowering.

And my plants sure are stretching fast particularly the Hawaiian Snow.

So far I have not had any signs of burn/bleach, but remains to be seen. I am thinking they are pretty conservative in their suggestions just to not have people blame them for burning/bleaching plants.

How much taller are your plants going to get? I would be hesitant to get 1w LEDs, in my research most said worthless for flowering.

And my plants sure are stretching fast particularly the Hawaiian Snow.

I think some of the recommendation for height has to do with square foot coverage. So the lower you go the less coverage?

I am really considering trying LED. Guys like you keep growing with them and make me want to try it! Damn it! :rofl:

I am looking at the Lighthouse Hydro BlackStar Flowering LED Grow Light 100-watt. It has 2w LEDs. I know myself so it will be a couple weeks of looking at LED lights and researching before I make a final decision.

Thanks for doing a journal for us :)

Here is a 180w LED light that uses 6w LED's. they say:

The PPF-800R should be positioned 6-18 inches above the canopy. Closer than 6 inches can result in stunted growth during the vegetative stage but it is a good idea to move the lights closer (2-3 inches) during flowering.

This just confuses me more. :rofl:

Honestly, I think height has to do as much with how the focus lens and reflector/lack of reflector have to do with it as the wattage of the LED diode does, as long as you're 3w and above. I fried one of my clones by putting it too close to the 96 x 3w from TopLED, once I got that straightened out though, everything else is fine, but that one is still shocked. So far for me though, the led is beating out CFL/T5 and my 400w HID in every way.

Honestly, I think height has to do as much with how the focus lens and reflector/lack of reflector have to do with it as the wattage of the LED diode does, as long as you're 3w and above. I fried one of my clones by putting it too close to the 96 x 3w from TopLED, once I got that straightened out though, everything else is fine, but that one is still shocked. So far for me though, the led is beating out CFL/T5 and my 400w HID in every way.

Very good point. They might make that recommendation on height as it might be the optimum point for where the specific lens for that light focuses.

I am looking at the Lighthouse Hydro BlackStar Flowering LED Grow Light 100-watt. It has 2w LEDs. I know myself so it will be a couple weeks of looking at LED lights and researching before I make a final decision.

Thanks for doing a journal for us :)

Personally the only 2 companies I liked in doing my months worth of research where advanced led and California Light Works. I admit I did not look much at the Chinese companies, because I try and buy American, but their prices are so low it is intriguing. But their quality scares me and none of the ones I saw offered the same type of money back guarantee and 3 year warranty.

It all a matter of personal preference, and there sure are a lot of choices. For example I recently found another company I need to research more, Lush lighting.

I can only speak to the CLW lights which are great. I think you can grow with most of the LEDs' lights that are on the market the question is quality and light spectrum and if you have those two then it comes down to price. We are all looking for a good value whose light can we buy at a reasonable price that will grow the best plants possible? The success of growing a high yielding high quality plant is not just lighting alone. Once you have enough light of the right spectrums it comes down to feeding and environment. I can tell you right now Buck and BIDs grows will be successful because they have the other things down pat and the lights are providing what the plants need to grow and flourish. For me I choose American products when ever I can I gave 6 years of my life to fight for our freedoms and I am now fighting to keep the American economy strong. sorry for the rant:peace::goodjob::thumb::high-five::circle-of-love:

I can only speak to the CLW lights which are great. I think you can grow with most of the LEDs' lights that are on the market the question is quality and light spectrum and if you have those two then it comes down to price. We are all looking for a good value whose light can we buy at a reasonable price that will grow the best plants possible? The success of growing a high yielding high quality plant is not just lighting alone. Once you have enough light of the right spectrums it comes down to feeding and environment. I can tell you right now Buck and BIDs grows will be successful because they have the other things down pat and the lights are providing what the plants need to grow and flourish. For me I choose American products when ever I can I gave 6 years of my life to fight for our freedoms and I am now fighting to keep the American economy strong. sorry for the rant:peace::goodjob::thumb::high-five::circle-of-love:

No need to be sorry not a rant just an opinion at least in my opinion LOL, I am of the same opinion, just not a former military member.

I have come to a decision that I am not going to defoliate or trim lower branches because I want to see how these strains and these 3 particular phenos behave on their own.

Checked them before coming to work this AM and I swear the Hawaiian Snow grew an inch or two over night. I love how they are changing on a daily basis.

Also should get the rest of my fertilizer set when I get home, the Fox Farm Bush Doctor series consisting of...

1. Flowers Kiss - a foliage feed solution designed for flowering (going to be a pain to spray down my outdoor plants, so bushy and big.
2. Sledgehammer- a flush solution designed to flush out salt buildup
3. Microbe Brew- a microbe enhancer
4. Kangaroots - a root promoter/protector
5. Boomerang - a rejuvenating solution

Gave the 3 ladies a pretty heavy feeding tonight of the following in one gallon of water(all Fox Farm products but the SuperThrive):

3 Tsp Big Bloom
2 Tsp Grow Big
2 Tsp Tiger Bloom
1 Tsp Rootdoctor
1 Tsp Boomerang
1/2 tsp Microbe Brew
1/4 tsp Beastie Bloomz
1/4 tsp Open Sesame

Let's hope they like it.

They are looking good as before the Hawaiian snow is still getting bigger fast.

what are temps looking like with the led's

Back
Top Bottom