Dark versus light green leaves

Hey @johnehazeharvester, and welcome to the forum! You're in good hands with the comments made so far.

Your plants are lookin' really great... well done! RE: dark green leaves... sometimes it's genetic, i.e. a characteristic of a particular strain, or even a phenotype. I grew a strain from Humboldt last year that was in the same soil as all my other plants, but it produced crazy deep green foliage as compared to the other plants. On the other hand, if your plant(s) with lighter green leaves are indeed missing a nutrient, consider iron which is necessary for proper use of nitrogen.

:woohoo:
1674462778069.png
:dreamy:

This is my first grow
As someone who's scientifically minded, the first thing I had so learn was, as the old saying goes, "Baking is science, but gardening is art." Let me explain.

I have a bread recipe that produces the same loaf every time because baking is science. Scientific theories are proved by experiments which provide the same results, time after time. So in the beginning I thought I could reproduce plant after identical plant time after time by following a recipe. Wrong. Every plant is different, like every person is different. Some plants are taller, some shorter, some need more or less water or light or nutrients than others. I had to learn to "listen" to my plants and give them what they needed it when they needed it. Not that I've got it all figured out; life is for learning.

One of the great things about cannabis is that it grows quickly, allowing us opportunities to experiment and/or correct problems. Let your plants speak to you. Keep in mind that strict feeding/watering schedules can sometimes lead to trouble.

As someone who's scientifically minded, the first thing I had so learn was, as the old saying goes, "Baking is science, but gardening is art." Let me explain.

I have a bread recipe that produces the same loaf every time because baking is science. Scientific theories are proved by experiments which provide the same results, time after time. So in the beginning I thought I could reproduce plant after identical plant time after time by following a recipe. Wrong. Every plant is different, like every person is different. Some plants are taller, some shorter, some need more or less water or light or nutrients than others. I had to learn to "listen" to my plants and give them what they needed it when they needed it. Not that I've got it all figured out; life is for learning.

One of the great things about cannabis is that it grows quickly, allowing us opportunities to experiment and/or correct problems. Let your plants speak to you. Keep in mind that strict feeding/watering schedules can sometimes lead to trouble.
Thanks Medical Me! I am learning this slowly.
The yellowing progressed and I made a new post.

It doesnt stop me from ruminating on the things I may have done wrong. In this case I am fairly convinced I caused a nutrient lock out. Possible causes
1. too much epson salt although I only added 1/2 or whole tsp / gallon for maybe every other feed in flower.
2. I was away for a bit more than an entire week. 2 weeks ago. I had bags hanging with water and nutrients and I think they may have gotten about twice normal nutrients for that week. The best looking plant got the least nutrients. When I returned plants looked good but I think the lock out manifested a few days later.
3. I did not ph precisely to 6.3 but somewhere around 6.5-6.8.
4. Wood ash added at tbsp / gallon and ph'ed it down. Not sure if this is related. I suspect not.
RH and temp were decent.
There are still many variables.
I am not giving up and I popped 4 more seeds so hopefully I could make it to the finish line with my new grow and my increased knowledge. Also I hope to still get an okay harvest from this grow. I first thought I would be cutting down around now but from the input of others, I probably have to keep the current grow going for about another 3 weeks.
BTW I agree with your bread analogy and I find it easy to make perfect french bread every time. Just measure carefully and press button on bread maker. Growing these babies are a bit more challenging.

FYI @johnehazeharvester @Emilya Green is one of the people I’ve learned an extraordinary amount of information from. She’s also caused me to adjust my perspective on quite a few things. I recommend going to the tutorial link in her signature (I’ll post it here just to make it twice as easy)

Emmie's Grow Journals, Tutorials & Product Reviews

Read all of the tutorials, even if you think they’ll never apply to you, there’s a ton of information in the pages that you will find useful. You’ll also come across very specific examples that are highly relevant to growing cannabis.

FYI @johnehazeharvester @Emilya Green is one of the people I’ve learned an extraordinary amount of information from. She’s also caused me to adjust my perspective on quite a few things. I recommend going to the tutorial link in her signature (I’ll post it here just to make it twice as easy)

Emmie's Grow Journals, Tutorials & Product Reviews

Read all of the tutorials, even if you think they’ll never apply to you, there’s a ton of information in the pages that you will find useful. You’ll also come across very specific examples that are highly relevant to growing cannabis.
That's great Emilya and you convinced me I indeed had a lock out. I will definately check it out.
I will be using spring water with no nutes for a while. Still havent done a real flush like she recommended.

I agree about the excess epsom salt, because too much Mg can easily cause lockouts. There is a good reason that not a lot of epsom is preloaded into soil, even the homemade recipes.
Thanks I'll struggle through this grow and hopefully wont make the same mistakes next time. I will check out your grow journals and product reviews. Thanks for your help!

As a follow up. I did a partial flush this morning. Run off ppm was 900 at first and I got it down to 500. I flushed with water ph to 6.3 and ppm of 55.
I didn't have a great way of dealing with run off so when the saucer at the bottom of plant filled, I oved the plant to fresh saucer and dumped water and repeated. I would have continued flushing but didnt realize how much time I would spend doing this and ph'ing my water, so I had to stop and go to work. Hopefully that did something. after it is dry I will give 1 more light feed with Big bloom and tiger bloom and cal mag. I'm sure this isn't perfect but I'm afraid to continue a flush when I get home because the plant has been soaking and I dont want to drown roots and get root rot.

if you didn't run 3x the container size through that soil, you didn't flush. Don't worry about pH. The only reason we pH the water is so that your nutes are within a certain range so that the chelation strips away. When you are flushing there are no nutes, so no need to flush.

Take your plant to the bathroom and either sit it in the tub or on top of the toilet with some sort of support. If it is a 3 gallon container, send 9 gallons of water through it. Continue the flush when you get home and don't worry about drowning roots or root rot... neither of these are going to happen. Also don't worry about ppm. By the end of your 3x the volume flushing, the ppm out will be the same as the ppm in. It can be no other way.

if you didn't run 3x the container size through that soil, you didn't flush. Don't worry about pH. The only reason we pH the water is so that your nutes are within a certain range so that the chelation strips away. When you are flushing there are no nutes, so no need to flush.

Take your plant to the bathroom and either sit it in the tub or on top of the toilet with some sort of support. If it is a 3 gallon container, send 9 gallons of water through it. Continue the flush when you get home and don't worry about drowning roots or root rot... neither of these are going to happen. Also don't worry about ppm. By the end of your 3x the volume flushing, the ppm out will be the same as the ppm in. It can be no other way.
Great advice. Thanks

I saw your response last night before bed. This morning I got them all in the tub and they got a proper flushing with about 9 gallons. I then fed with Fox far Big bloom and tiger bloom and cal mag and ph about 6.1. I went lower on ph bechause my flush was with well water ph about 8.3. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully this will stop the nutrient lock progression. It took me a while to come to terms with it but I finally came around.
PXL_20230125_113917075.jpg
PXL_20230125_121101362.jpg

You are also a little too hung up on pH. Your well water didn't hurt a thing and there was no need to adjust your feed pH because of it. 6.3 pH every time... mathematically the pH where the most nutrients are the most available to the plant. 6.1 won't hurt every once in a while but immediately you come in outside of the 6.3-6.8 range that these nutes prefer and you have to rely on the buffering in the soil to bring things back into range.

don't chase your outputs. output ppm and ph are of little consequence. just make sure your inputs are balanced.

The only mistake was thinking that you needed to feed immediately after the flush. The plants would have been fine if you treated this just as a plain water watering, and then in a couple of days for the plant to use the water they would be ready for feeding again. You are following a f/w/f/w schedule?
Yes following FF schedule. Just with some cal mag. I was under the impression that after a large flush like I did, the soil would be stripped of nutes and I read you should feed right away. Too late now.

Yes following FF schedule. Just with some cal mag. I was under the impression that after a large flush like I did, the soil would be stripped of nutes and I read you should feed right away. Too late now.
You should be giving plain pH adjusted water every other time and then things won't build up in your soil quite so quickly and using a feed/water/feed/water schedule you end up feeding twice a week just as the feeding chart recommends. If you time it right, your flushes should fall on one of your water only days. Plants in soil don't need nutes coming in with every watering.

You should be giving plain pH adjusted water every other time and then things won't build up in your soil quite so quickly and using a feed/water/feed/water schedule you end up feeding twice a week just as the feeding chart recommends. If you time it right, your flushes should fall on one of your water only days. Plants in soil don't need nutes coming in with every watering.

i think he meant fox farm schedule which will have him mostly f/f/f with maybe a periodic flush. i would probably do f/w f/w like you recommend and drop the periodic flush.

Back
Top Bottom