Derek910 Soil Liberty Haze & Gelato 2019

Thanks y’all. Is it true if you drop the temps down to like 68F the buds will be more dense? If so, when should I do that. Right now it’s at 75 lights on and 74 lights off
Temps don't have any impact on denseness. It can impact color the last few weeks of flower. If you drop the night time temps down into the 50s and 60s it can bring out some interesting colors.

Temps don't have any impact on denseness. It can impact color the last few weeks of flower. If you drop the night time temps down into the 50s and 60s it can bring out some interesting colors.
Thanks. Wish I could take a picture of the smell. It smells so good in that tent!

Good day fellow growers. Everything looks to be moving along fine. Buds are starting to put on weight. I had to add a few stakes because some of the buds were laying over. I usually use plant yo-yos but I like the stakes better because they don’t pull up on the branches/buds. Only needed them for the Gelato right now. I guess because the branches are thinner than the Liberty Haze

Flower Week 6 Day 45, Grow Day 78

3ABB24D1-F115-4606-BEB8-88ACFCD8EB9D.jpeg
EF265DF4-E3F3-4FED-9A3E-5793B3CF4449.jpeg
B2E873E9-2E9E-4CE9-A819-3379E3C660AC.jpeg

Here’s a couple bud pics for your viewing pleasure

Liberty Haze
8023E5DD-4BA6-4CEA-BDED-7196454B7B4F.jpeg

C31C430C-FC80-4B12-B69B-19B215F160FF.jpeg

Gelato

0F2BACA1-9E83-4466-BF28-BF574B764767.jpeg

I just cut the branch off. Hopefully it didn’t spit out any pollen. Nanners usually only put out a little bit right? Just want to make sure it didn’t rape all the other buds. I checked all of the buds and didn’t see anymore

These can be a lot more difficult to control than actual pollen sacs, since they may start pollinating everything in the area as soon as they appear. A few bananas won’t do much damage, but if you have a big banana problem it may be best to harvest the plants immediately and cut your losses. Seeds take some time to develop, so if a plant starts herming right around harvest time, it’s less likely you’ll end up with seeds.
What are they? Bananas are actually the exposed “male” parts of a pollen sac, called the “stamen” which would normally be surrounded by a sac to hold all the pollen until it bursts open. If you open up a fully formed male pollen sac, you will see what looks like bananas (stamens) inside.

But when bananas appear on your plants, they don’t need to “burst” in order to spread pollen, they will immediately start making pollen and often will seed the buds that are close by even if bananas are removed right away, and sometimes the pollen can drift to other plants and pollinate them as well, too.

It’s possible that the pollen is sterile, and won’t pollinate bud successfully…but don’t rely on that happening!

If a female plant is allowed to go too long without being harvested or pollinated (allowed to go past the point of optimal harvest), she will sometime produce a bunch of bananas in her buds as a last-ditch attempt to self-pollinate and create seeds for the next year. This is sometimes known as rhodelization. This is not as destructive as other types of hermies since it only happens after plants are already past the point of optimal harvest.

What causes it? While genetics are ultimate the cause of whether a plant is capable of producing bananas and mixed-sex buds, environmental stress is often a big component in causing bananas to form. Luckily if you stick with high-quality genetics, you are much less likely to run into bananas even if you do accidentally stress your plants. Not all bananas are “fertile” and you may see them without ever getting seeds.

What type of stress can trigger bananas to form on cannabis buds?

• Inconsistent Light Schedules & Light Leaks – When plants don’t get light at the same time each day, or if they’re exposed to light during their dark period (light leak). For photoperiod plants, this might be the largest contributor to hermies.
  • Temperature – When temps get too high, hermies and nanners often appear. Cold night temps, or just large temperature swings in general, are also known to trigger bananas for some strains.
  • Too-Bright Light – Like too much heat, and/or light that is too bright can stress your plants and trigger hermies. This is most often caused by growers keeping their lights to close to their plants. You can light-burn your plants even when the temperature is under control.
  • Major Plant Problems – Major plant problems like nutrient deficiencies, root rot, pH problems, light-burn and nutrient burn can all trigger hermies to start growing.
  • Genetics – While stress plays a big role in the formation of bananas, the tendency to form them is genetic. This tendency is very common in the seeds of a plant that hermied. “Feminized” seeds, while always female, are much more likely to show the same herming traits as its parent. Growing seeds that were produced this way is naturally selecting to produce more buds that grow bananas

These can be a lot more difficult to control than actual pollen sacs, since they may start pollinating everything in the area as soon as they appear. A few bananas won’t do much damage, but if you have a big banana problem it may be best to harvest the plants immediately and cut your losses. Seeds take some time to develop, so if a plant starts herming right around harvest time, it’s less likely you’ll end up with seeds.
What are they? Bananas are actually the exposed “male” parts of a pollen sac, called the “stamen” which would normally be surrounded by a sac to hold all the pollen until it bursts open. If you open up a fully formed male pollen sac, you will see what looks like bananas (stamens) inside.

But when bananas appear on your plants, they don’t need to “burst” in order to spread pollen, they will immediately start making pollen and often will seed the buds that are close by even if bananas are removed right away, and sometimes the pollen can drift to other plants and pollinate them as well, too.

It’s possible that the pollen is sterile, and won’t pollinate bud successfully…but don’t rely on that happening!

If a female plant is allowed to go too long without being harvested or pollinated (allowed to go past the point of optimal harvest), she will sometime produce a bunch of bananas in her buds as a last-ditch attempt to self-pollinate and create seeds for the next year. This is sometimes known as rhodelization. This is not as destructive as other types of hermies since it only happens after plants are already past the point of optimal harvest.

What causes it? While genetics are ultimate the cause of whether a plant is capable of producing bananas and mixed-sex buds, environmental stress is often a big component in causing bananas to form. Luckily if you stick with high-quality genetics, you are much less likely to run into bananas even if you do accidentally stress your plants. Not all bananas are “fertile” and you may see them without ever getting seeds.

What type of stress can trigger bananas to form on cannabis buds?

• Inconsistent Light Schedules & Light Leaks – When plants don’t get light at the same time each day, or if they’re exposed to light during their dark period (light leak). For photoperiod plants, this might be the largest contributor to hermies.
  • Temperature – When temps get too high, hermies and nanners often appear. Cold night temps, or just large temperature swings in general, are also known to trigger bananas for some strains.
  • Too-Bright Light – Like too much heat, and/or light that is too bright can stress your plants and trigger hermies. This is most often caused by growers keeping their lights to close to their plants. You can light-burn your plants even when the temperature is under control.
  • Major Plant Problems – Major plant problems like nutrient deficiencies, root rot, pH problems, light-burn and nutrient burn can all trigger hermies to start growing.
  • Genetics – While stress plays a big role in the formation of bananas, the tendency to form them is genetic. This tendency is very common in the seeds of a plant that hermied. “Feminized” seeds, while always female, are much more likely to show the same herming traits as its parent. Growing seeds that were produced this way is naturally selecting to produce more buds that grow bananas

I’m pretty sure I don’t have any of these things going on. They are feminized seeds so it may be in the genetics. I’m going to get in the tent and check for light leaks. I check before every grow, but you never know

Think I caught a nanner on one of the Gelato buds. It’s hard to see unless you zoom in. What do y’all think? I cut the bud off because I don’t want to chance it

1B0334E8-B7A0-481C-BE71-6DDC00731030.jpeg
Could be but no need to cut the buds off. If you get a pair of tweezers you can get a wet paper towel and pluck the nanners out with the tweezers and put it on the wet paper towel. The wet paper towel will kill any active pollen from the nanner. Keep a spray bottle of water with you too and spray around the area to neutralize any potential stray pollen.

If you get a plant that is throwing a ton of nanners early in flower, I would consider culling that plant. Its natural for a lot of plants to throw nanners late in flower. Think of it as natures last ditch effort to ensure it survives. Not a big deal when it happens but you will want to keep a vigilant eye for additional nanners. Rarely do they come in singles. Give them a good going over every couple days and you will be able to bring them home with no problem.

Could be but no need to cut the buds off. If you get a pair of tweezers you can get a wet paper towel and pluck the nanners out with the tweezers and put it on the wet paper towel. The wet paper towel will kill any active pollen from the nanner. Keep a spray bottle of water with you too and spray around the area to neutralize any potential stray pollen.

If you get a plant that is throwing a ton of nanners early in flower, I would consider culling that plant. Its natural for a lot of plants to throw nanners late in flower. Think of it as natures last ditch effort to ensure it survives. Not a big deal when it happens but you will want to keep a vigilant eye for additional nanners. Rarely do they come in singles. Give them a good going over every couple days and you will be able to bring them home with no problem.

Thanks. I’ll definitely do that if I find anymore

More and more of the Liberty Haze is turning purple and I’m really digging it. The Gelato looks the same except the buds are getting bigger. I’m starting to see more and more white hairs busting out all over the place. I used to harvest based on the seed bank recommendation but now I know to wait for the trichomes. It seems sense I’ve developed some patience this starts happening and then the calyxes will swell where the new hairs popped out. Let me know if this is what is supposed to happen or if it’s something my environment is creating. I haven’t done any research to back it up but it makes sense to me based on what I’ve seen.

Flower Week 7 Day 53, Grow Day 86

Here’s some photos of the plants and a bud shot of each plant. Enjoy. Also I have a 2nd journal in my signature for clones of these plants if y’all want to check it out. I’m trying them organic. I’m going to start a 3rd journal on 2 different strains once the seeds pop. One of them popped this morning just waiting on the other one.

F4EBFC02-BE4F-498A-8269-0C74396C077E.jpeg
3CCB7D46-ADB7-4FBC-A484-435768F963DA.jpeg
39DDFE94-12A1-45CA-A62E-A9D946C14B8E.jpeg

Things are going good. The trichomes really standout on the Liberty Haze over the dark purple color of the buds. Flushed them yesterday with 15 gallons of 6.55 ph’d water and fed them their nutrients. I’m going to start looking at the trichomes this Sunday although I think I have about 2 weeks to go. We’ll see in a few days

Flower Week 8 Day 58, Grow Day 91
C5D80893-8460-44F8-9F98-2495E9FAC584.jpeg
97449534-E9BE-4188-B120-A916968FD7D0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom