Dick23rk's 1st Journal - 1st Hempy - CKS Autoflower Candy Cane & Amnesia Haze - 2016

Re: Dick23rk's 1st Journal - 1st Hempy - CKS Autoflower Candy Cane & Amnesia Haze - 2

Yeah, I am hoping that both strains will take a good growth spurt. The Amnesia #2 is taking off, she has been the quickest grower and easiest to work with. If they all double in size or more I will be pleased given the conditions of my setup for now. But this round is all about getting back into the swing of things and learning way more than I knew before about indoor growing. The girls look happy and that's what makes me happy! :)

Thanks, they are starting to grow faster now. Bit slow taking off, but again that is likely my growing conditions. Not completely sure how the roots are doing yet. I haven't seen any poking down around the reservoir when I look in the drain holes but when I watered yesterday some of the perlite pushed away in an area close to the stem and I seen lots of nice white roots in there branching out. So I covered them back up and put her away lol Starting to get a bit of a sweet smell from both strains when you get up nice and close to them. Will start getting more distinct smells very soon, only 1 of 4 left to show pistils! :)

Awesome! I'm surprised they show flowers already but yeah its the ruderalis gene right? Love that smell. Somehow reminds me of a medicine kabinet. That's what it's all about! Passing the bong to you my friend

Re: Dick23rk's 1st Journal - 1st Hempy - CKS Autoflower Candy Cane & Amnesia Haze - 2

Looking real good here, I see!! when those roots hit the bottom that's when things really take off. Great work!!!

Awesome! I'm surprised they show flowers already but yeah its the ruderalis gene right? Love that smell. Somehow reminds me of a medicine kabinet. That's what it's all about! Passing the bong to you my friend

Yep that's right Kundal. The ruderalis gene is what makes these autoflower, majority of them all start showing pistils in 3 to 4 weeks. I have all 4 showing now. I just re-arranged the room (pics to come tomorrow) and was taking a closer look at them again, and there was a few at the top of candy #2. All underway and ready to start stretching! Thanks for the pass and for stopping in.

Looking real good here, I see!! when those roots hit the bottom that's when things really take off. Great work!!!

Thanks hydro. So far so good. Yup still waiting for some substantial growth since the transplant. They have been growing but haven't hit that stretch point yet, it's coming real soon. I would think there must be some roots in there taking from the res by now and I just cant see them. Will have a full update tomorrow and see how things are looking then

**Update - April 12th - Day 29**

Hey there folks! Hope everything is well with all of you. Time for a bit of a bigger update than normal, I have lots of pictures for everyone to look at this time and some extra info to go along. Been doing some measurements, re-arranging, a little leaf tucking and close examinations of all 4 Crop King Seeds feminized autos.

First on the agenda today, all 4 plants have now shown sex and are now on their way into flowering. Pictures are added in each plant description for the day. I'm not sure whether to mark the day they showed sex a the day they went into flower, or to mark that day when I switch over to using more bloom nutes than grow. Any ideas from the readers (you) would be greatly appreciated.

So, I have re-arranged the grow space to a more manageable and efficient way for myself. I have all 4 of the autos up front in a row with the 2 - 54w T5's hanging at their sides and they are just off center of the 430w HPS above. All of my other bagseed girls are situated at the back half of the grow space now and more out of the way so I can keep a closer eye on the more prized plants each time I poke my head in to have a look. Finally got them all sitting close to the same height. Here is a picture of the space now, much easier in my opinion.

As I said earlier I have done some leaf tucking, this was on the 2 FIM'd ladies. More so on the Amnesia Haze over the Candy Cane due to the different growth rates. You will see this in the seperate pictures I add of all the girls. I will also add measurements of all the girls under the pictures in the description of each photo. So, here we go!

This is a couple pictures of the autos from Crop King Seeds, relaxing in the light after their check-up and photo shoot. They are enjoying the added light from what I can tell.

Amnesia #1

Undergrowth starting to pick up on this lady. This one has had no training and is growing naturally. Seems to be pretty healthy overall. She stands at 3.5" and is 7" across each direction.

Here is a top view of her, nice green lush leaves, just waiting for her to sprout up some.

Here is a look at her pistils

Amnesia #2

The shoots from below have started to pick up nicely with the top of the plant, top 2 shoots are developing nicely. Also noticed where I made the FIM cut there is some small new growth happening here as well, will see what it decides to do. You can sort of tell I have tucked some leaves in behind the other shoots and future bud sites. She is the best looking of them all. Standing tall at 4.5" and 8" across one way, 10" across the other.

Top view of this lady. Can see how nice and even the top 2 shoots have come out and the other lower branches poking out from around the leaves I tucked.

Candy #1

This is the other untrained, naturally grown lady. Starting to fill in nicely, may need some leaf tucking eventually once its sprouts up some more but that will be all she gets. Another with nice lush green color throughout. This lady stands at 3.5" tall and 8" across each way.

Here is the top view. Looks really nice and full from above, hard to believe she is really that short!

And here is a picture of her pistils poking out! Lots more showing than that on this one at the top growth but couldn't get a clear picture.

Candy #2

The slow poke of the bunch, finally starting to catch up with those lower shoots but they are also still fairly skinny. Hoping that maybe she will come out stronger than the rest and stalk up some for me. FIM worked nice on her but I must have stunted her in the process. Still growing so that's what counts! She is also only 3.5" tall and is 9" across one way and 8" the other way.

Top view of this lady, new growth growing nicely and also has some new sites forming where the FIM was made. Hoping to end up with some decent little colas.

Here is this ones pistils finally showing at the top of her, this was the last girl to show sex. Hard to see but they are there.

Well that about sums it up for today. They were all fed in the afternoon of day 27 (now day 29), they went 3 days before that without feeding and I will go 3 days again this time. Still giving veg nute schedule for now to get a little more growth out of all the girls, will likely start adjusting my mix for more bloom nutes by the end of the week. By then we would be well under way. If anyone has any suggestions about when to start slowly changing over to bloom nutes with autoflowers please, feel free to drop some info. My decision for now is to give them all 1 week after showing sex and then start switching my nutes over.

Hope you all enjoyed the show for today and have a great day. Best of luck, take care all! :thanks:

Damn good update... on my phone the pictures are incredibly small and can't really see anything, will have a better look when I get home. As for switching nutes I just switched instantly after I was getting long pistils but kept adding my seaweed extract to the flower mix, probably shouldn't have done it this way but they all seem to be doing fine on my end. Measured last night, one candy is 3'0" other is 3'2". Cheers bud

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420

Thanks Llamabomb! My schedule calls for giving the plants so much bloom nutes from the beginning and slowly upping it, but next on the schedule it jumps from 3ml to 10ml/gal of bloom. I am thinking I will go with 6 or 7ml bloom in the next upping and see how they take to it first before hitting 10ml. My schedule also isn't the recommended one right from the company, it is one that someone had made up more specific to cannabis. So I will work with it and see how it all goes. I need a little more growth so that is my reason for waiting a week to hit them with more powerful bloom nutes. Once they get the new feeding of upped bloom nutes is when they will really start flowering I would think as it pushes the bloom process on the plants. All trial and error over here, I will just make sure I don't hurt the ladies in the process! Lol

Looking good dick23rk the girls are coming along nicely :high-five:

I'm sure the roots will find their way to the res with out problems as i'm sure when you clean up the medium ya see the root mass formed.

PICT000157.JPG

Starting light with nutrients is all ways a good idea as applying full dosage will more likely induce nutrient burn it is pretty much a watch & learn curve reading the plants for signals to adjust nutrients.

Thanks for stopping in again Fuzzy Duck! I'm sure they are drinking from the res by now. I can confirm this for Amnesia #2 as she has grown up 1/2" and out over 1" since I measured 2 days ago! They should all be ready to start their stretch now, I will start keeping track of the dimensions and see how much bigger they get during this period. The girls are certainly full of nitrogen now, I started noticing the darker than normal green fan leaves. Not a toxicity yet but an abundance for sure. Fed them again today with the same feed as last time, if it gets to be to much nitrogen I will do a flush and re-feed. But with my switch to bloom nute cycle so close I am not to worried about this right now as they will need it in the end. Once I switch to bloom there will be less N going in than before. Will see how they react over the next couple days and go from there. Next feeding in a few days will be when I switch over :)

**Update - April 14th - Day 31**

Hey everyone! Time for yet another update on the CKS Amnesia Haze and Candy Cane auto's.

Things are still going well, no issues as of yet. I am starting to get an abundance of nitrogen as you will be able to see in the pictures shortly. This isn't really a big issue for me as the slow switch to bloom nutes will be on saturday or sunday when they need feeding again and the nitrogen amounts will be corrected then. Fed all 4 this morning after taking pictures, no more til the weekend when we switch.

I have had a couple little pests in the tent lately but nothing to get worked up over. Aside from the odd spider being in there since I grow in the basement, I have started getting a few boxelder beetles (maple bugs) making their way to my tent finding the heat and possibly having a little nibble on the leaves. I have removed them every time I see them since they aren't very fast, but who knows how long they are there at times. Since I noticed the odd one since last week (starting to warm up outside) I have also noticed a few tiny holes in a few of the leaves. These holes aren't even big enough to try and get pictures of, but can see them with the naked eye. I just pick them out as I see them, there is no way to keep them away unless you can keep them out of the house completely which is not likely to happen. They come in the thousands in my area and like the trees around our property and enjoy sitting on the siding and foundation, go figure!

All the girls should be drinking from the reservoir again (1 is for sure) and on their stretch here now as I am noticing some decent growth happening. The fan leaves on Amnesia #2 grew out over the side of the bucket last night, they weren't like that yesterday around noon. They are all starting to produce more noticeable pistils now as well so we should be well under way!

Other than that, not much else is happening. Sitting outside today in the beautiful weather right now updating my journal while all the girls are inside soaking in fresh air. I decided to crack some windows wide open and have the basement and upstairs doors wide open, should get a nice breeze blowing through the house today and into the tent since the door is open and fan going. I thought about bringing them out to the garage door for some sunlight and fresh air but I don't want to stress them or cause any complications with the natural sun light where they are just going into flower. That and if any nosey neighbors seen them that wouldn't be fun. So inside they stay. This makes me want to grow some smaller plants in the window sills. Maybe this is what I will do once my Overgrow Canada seeds from Dana Larsen get here!

Anyways everyone, here are all the photos for today. I will just label them above the pics without a description for today since anything that happened has already been discussed.
Have a great day everyone!! Best of luck in your grows and take care!

Amnesia #1

Amnesia #2

Candy #1

Candy #2

**Mini-update - April 15th - Day 32**

Well, after a little bit of reading once again, I have decided to not switch over to bloom nutrients this weekend coming. From all the reading I have done in the past little while of being on :420:, I had mixed up some information in my head about the autoflowers life cycle.
I had gathered a lot of info previously from Atrains thread Autoflower Myth Busting He has a rough lifecycle laid out for these types of plants on page 4/post #50. This is a great thread to read up on and really helps understand the autoflower variety much better. +reps for Atrain on this! :thanks:

So in conclusion to going back to this info and figuring out what I wanted to do in the end, I will not switch to bloom yet. I am only at 5 1/2 weeks right now and had just started to see the stretch period start not even a week ago. If I go by this life cycle Atrain has kindly provided to all of us, then its looking like I wont switch over to bloom nutrients until next weekend at the least. Once I start to see the stretch slow down we will have a good look and go from there. I am looking to get the max vertical growth that I can out of these girls right now due to their short stature at present, so this seems like it would be the way to go for me. I will continue with the feedings they are receiving now and possibly adjust the nitrogen intake down just a little due to some darker green leaves.

That's it for today, just wanted to share all this with you while it was still fresh in my mind and I forgot something. thanks all for stopping in. :thanks:

They are looking nice and green like a little THC machine. :)
That's going to give you some good harvesting, do you have a straw hat?

Thanks Kundal, lest hope they are little thc machines lol. No I dont have a straw hat anymore, I do have a brownish red leather one though haha Goes well around here living in the praries/farm lands!

**Mini-update - April 15th - Day 32**

Well, after a little bit of reading once again, I have decided to not switch over to bloom nutrients this weekend coming. From all the reading I have done in the past little while of being on :420:, I had mixed up some information in my head about the autoflowers life cycle.
I had gathered a lot of info previously from Atrains thread Autoflower Myth Busting He has a rough lifecycle laid out for these types of plants on page 4/post #50. This is a great thread to read up on and really helps understand the autoflower variety much better. +reps for Atrain on this! :thanks:

So in conclusion to going back to this info and figuring out what I wanted to do in the end, I will not switch to bloom yet. I am only at 5 1/2 weeks right now and had just started to see the stretch period start not even a week ago. If I go by this life cycle Atrain has kindly provided to all of us, then its looking like I wont switch over to bloom nutrients until next weekend at the least. Once I start to see the stretch slow down we will have a good look and go from there. I am looking to get the max vertical growth that I can out of these girls right now due to their short stature at present, so this seems like it would be the way to go for me. I will continue with the feedings they are receiving now and possibly adjust the nitrogen intake down just a little due to some darker green leaves.

That's it for today, just wanted to share all this with you while it was still fresh in my mind and I forgot something. thanks all for stopping in. :thanks:
Hey I remember reading that as well... I switched mine over fairly early I guess but my Candy Canes stretch was pretty much done when I did so... like you were saying I think we have two separate ends of the pheno on these hehe. I would hold off like you were saying. Cheers dude.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420

Ya quite in tune with your grow & dialing skills in on a watch 'n' learn curve all good progress with the detailed updates.

You will know when those girls start to flower tho as their will be an increase of pistils / pre flowers at the tips of the colas & node points a good sign when to change nutrients.

Just remember feed guides are only guides & strains are not always equal in the requirements of nutrients or when you expect to start flowering with auto's give or take a week or two.

Trust your feelings as a guide to knowledge known :thumb:

Ya quite in tune with your grow & dialing skills in on a watch 'n' learn curve all good progress with the detailed updates.

You will know when those girls start to flower tho as their will be an increase of pistils / pre flowers at the tips of the colas & node points a good sign when to change nutrients.

Just remember feed guides are only guides & strains are not always equal in the requirements of nutrients or when you expect to start flowering with auto's give or take a week or two.

Trust your feelings as a guide to knowledge known :thumb:

Thanks again! It sure is a watch and learn type deal over here. Only 2nd time using nutrients and the first time I did was without properly knowing how. Now with all the info I have learned here at 420 and things I have learned from mistakes in the past I can properly put all of this knowledge together. I am at least glad that I found a schedule to go by that is tweaked more specifically for cannabis instead of one made for fruits and veggies that is provided. It certainly helped me get the plants more in the zone of what they needed and now I can tweak the rest from there by them telling me what they need.
Between the life cycle I found for auto's and the new feed schedule things seem to be going very well compared to my previous grows indoors and out. Still learning the whole indoors thing and will be for years to come :) Can never stop learning!

**Update - April 16th - Day 33**

Hello everyone, time again for another update. The girls are really starting to take off now, I measured all of them again this morning since I have noticed big changes. Starting to get more nitrogen in them than I would like but have not flushed yet. Some of the new growth on a couple of the girls is starting to get darker green tips on the leaves. I will cut back on the nitrogen in my mix, likely with 1 - 1.5ml/gal less of the micro and leave the gro at the same amount. for now. This should get things back on track until my switch to bloom in a week or so when the stretch slows down.

All of the girls have grown up 1.5" each in 4 days, I would say that is a good rate and I need it for these wee ones. Shoot growth has been great on the FIM'd girls, Amnesia #2 has 2 nice thick middle shoots and 4 good top ones that look like they will make some decent colas. Shoots have finally caught up more on candy #2 as well. I have continued leaf tucking where I can but it never lasts very long. Sometimes I have to go in 2 or 3 times a day when I am home to re-tuck leaves. Once flowering really starts I may give them some minor defoliation between days 20-25 of flower to get more light to the lower growth that will need it by then.

That's pretty much it for today, nothing else to report. I will add some photos and descriptions now for everyone to have a look at.
Best of luck out there as always, take care all!

Amnesia #1

This lady is starting to fill in nicely with a nice green color to her. Starting to see new flower sites starting and lower shoots starting to catch up with the mid section. She is pretty easy going for the most part.

Amnesia #2

Hard to see everything on this one. She actually has 4 main top colas starting to form plus 2 really nice side shoots (covered in fan leaves at the moment) that have caught up with the top that are going to produce just as well as the tops I think. This lady requires the majority of the leaf tucking, she's very strong and perks back up quickly.

Candy #1

The mid section of this naturally grown lady is starting to fill in nicely. Again, the shoots aren't as long as on the FIM'd plants due to lack of light below. Hard to leaf tuck this one and the same with Amnesia #1, the FIM'd plants are much easier to tuck with the way they grow. (More areas to tuck leaves into)

Candy#2

And last but not least, the slow poke! She is still keeping up in growth with the other ladies now even though she was stunted for a few days. She almost looks sad in these pictures, likely from me poking around in there. She is a delicate little flower but surviving none the less.

Great update, girls look nice and healthy. I laughed when you mentioned the outside bugs getting in, I chased 3 crickets in my basement for one whole winter, I could always hear them but never locate the little noise makers. Those maple bugs showed up every year when I lived down in that area, by the millions.

Keep up the great work:goodjob:

Great update, girls look nice and healthy. I laughed when you mentioned the outside bugs getting in, I chased 3 crickets in my basement for one whole winter, I could always hear them but never locate the little noise makers. Those maple bugs showed up every year when I lived down in that area, by the millions.

Keep up the great work:goodjob:

Thanks man. Things are going smoothly so far! Yup the outside bugs are a pain in the butt. I live in an older house and have concrete in the basement, but so many ways for them to get in. These maple bugs are the worst, I've been cutting down trees outside that they like. They have really been livening up now with spring sort of set in, it just snowed again today for some strange reason!! Beautiful wed, thurs, then rained that night and all friday, with like 5cm at least today of wet snow. Just nuts down here lately.

Well they certainly found their stride now didn't they.. what a huge difference in such a short time.

I know eh, it's almost like they found some steroids at the bottom of them buckets haha. Wait til you see Amnesia #2 later today, I got up this morning and the fan leaves were almost touching my stick lights. I have had to move them either up or out every day for the past 5 or 6 days. Will get some exact measurements on all of them here later when I take the pictures and compare to the ones that I first recorded. Just a matter now of letting them use up that extra nitrogen they have stored and we should be good until something else arises lol.

Back
Top Bottom