Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Yep. That wet/dry thing really works if you want more roots and fewer leaves to calyxes. But if you want a leafy thing, keep 'em moist in veg.

That was unintentional, but noted. She just was thirsty... I'll watch that ;)

Not really. More like tomatoes. You'll want to use Brix on both squash and cucumbers when blossoms/fruit set.

Lettuce, spinach, kale.....all use qualify. Squashes do well starting on Qualify and finishing on Brix, same with root veggies.

Carrots=brix
Fruiting/seeding/flowering=brix.

Qualify?

Hello there!

Doc,
I´ve got 2 flowering autos which where supposed to go outdoor but we got some early frosts here, so I had to move them to veg tent when they were about 3 weeks old. Not much damage was done. De-Stress and the right tuned HB soil makes it easy to get them up their feet.

1 of em is pretty fast and went throught its first Cat drench 5 days ago. She showed some serious resination and I should be drenching the second cat in about 2 or 3 days.
Shes looking beautiful, cept for a bit of yellowing on the tip of the main bud´s single leaves (the first 2 pair of single leaves in each bud), which is what "worries" me a bit (I don´t have any real worries actually, since I started DBHB ;) )
Is this tip minor yellowing normal after Cat drench?
I think that, because I´m seeing this only on the first pair of top leaves and it began after the Cat drench, it might be a nitrogen transport thingy. I know that NO3- works not just as food and energy source, but also helps on the transport of other nutrients and carbon skeletons through the plant vascular systems, especially new developing tissues.

You have to take a good look to see the yellowing tip here.
20150610_215638.jpg
20150610_215428.jpg

Hell, I may be too perfectionist since I started following all you guys on the trippy High Brix adventure.

So, should I do the second Cat drench nevertheless? I was thinking on going for the second Cat dr and going for a half Transp/Energy drench on the week after this, to get the soil energy up as well as supplying some ready available nitrogen.

They look really healthy, with the typical waxy shining dark green leaves all over the canopy btw. :thumb:

PS: sorry for long post and crappy photos (can´t seem to figure this damn phone)
PSS: In my first grow I didn´t really notice this because I wasn´t much around them as I am now (in my own home).

Hello there!

Doc,
I´ve got 2 flowering autos which where supposed to go outdoor but we got some early frosts here, so I had to move them to veg tent when they were about 3 weeks old. Not much damage was done. De-Stress and the right tuned HB soil makes it easy to get them up their feet.

1 of em is pretty fast and went throught its first Cat drench 5 days ago. She showed some serious resination and I should be drenching the second cat in about 2 or 3 days.
Shes looking beautiful, cept for a bit of yellowing on the tip of the main bud´s single leaves (the first 2 pair of single leaves in each bud), which is what "worries" me a bit (I don´t have any real worries actually, since I started DBHB ;) )
Is this tip minor yellowing normal after Cat drench?
I think that, because I´m seeing this only on the first pair of top leaves and it began after the Cat drench, it might be a nitrogen transport thingy. I know that NO3- works not just as food and energy source, but also helps on the transport of other nutrients and carbon skeletons through the plant vascular systems, especially new developing tissues.

You have to take a good look to see the yellowing tip here.
20150610_215638.jpg
20150610_215428.jpg

Hell, I may be too perfectionist since I started following all you guys on the trippy High Brix adventure.

So, should I do the second Cat drench nevertheless? I was thinking on going for the second Cat dr and going for a half Transp/Energy drench on the week after this, to get the soil energy up as well as supplying some ready available nitrogen.

They look really healthy, with the typical waxy shining dark green leaves all over the canopy btw. :thumb:

PS: sorry for long post and crappy photos (can´t seem to figure this damn phone)
PSS: In my first grow I didn´t really notice this because I wasn´t much around them as I am now (in my own home).

Great post! Many people are going to thank you for posting that. It's one of my main concerns regarding my kit. Even though it seriously kicks ass as for cannabis, it's not perfect yet, therefore quite a few people including yours truly have experienced this very issue.

Most likely, your plant will change shade of green and become more olive in color. This is because with the Cat drench, there's no nitrates but there is ammoniacal nitrogen which the roots have to adapt to. Top dress with a bit of roots and EWC if you got 'em and maybe go a tad heavier on the tea for two waterings. Resin production will be awesome. Smell will be great.

But you'll go yellow for a bit. I'm working on it!

Great post! Many people are going to thank you for posting that. It's one of my main concerns regarding my kit. Even though it seriously kicks ass as for cannabis, it's not perfect yet, therefore quite a few people including yours truly have experienced this very issue.

Most likely, your plant will change shade of green and become more olive in color. This is because with the Cat drench, there's no nitrates but there is ammoniacal nitrogen which the roots have to adapt to. Top dress with a bit of roots and EWC if you got 'em and maybe go a tad heavier on the tea for two waterings. Resin production will be awesome. Smell will be great.

Thanks Doc! I forgot to say that I already added EWC when I saw the yellowing. Will add some Roots and go heavy with Tea.
So its probably because of the roots adapting to ammoniacal N.
Maybe the lab could formulate a Tea or Roots! product to be used with/after Cat Drench, thats composed to have or promote the soil bacteria that transforms NH4+ to NO3-, so any excess NH4+ gets assimilated as NO3-.

Dunno if this is possible, though. But I didn´t know that cannabis this good was possible either :rofl:

Thanks for the input! I know the smoke will kick ass!

Thanks Doc! I forgot to say that I already added EWC when I saw the yellowing. Will add some Roots and go heavy with Tea.
So its probably because of the roots adapting to ammoniacal N.
Maybe the lab could formulate a Tea or Roots! product to be used with/after Cat Drench, thats composed to have or promote the soil bacteria that transforms NH4+ to NO3-, so any excess NH4+ gets as NO3-.

Dunno if this is possible, though. But I didn´t know that cannabis this good was possible either :rofl:

Thanks for the input! I know the smoke will kick ass!

that's already been done bro. What you're seeing is a plant used to getting a lot of nitrates being suddenly deprived and dosed with ammonia. I'm trying to smooth it out, so to speak, but it takes time for the roots to adapt. That's just how it is.

the real answer probably lies with foliar spray timing and something like the Super Drench you might have heard of.

that's already been done bro. What you're seeing is a plant used to getting a lot of nitrates being suddenly deprived and dosed with ammonia. I'm trying to smooth it out, so to speak, but it takes time for the roots to adapt. That's just how it is.

the real answer probably lies with foliar spray timing and something like the Super Drench you might have heard of.

Ofc its already done :laughtwo:

Super Drench as for Heavy Transplant/Tea? If its that, I used it once on one of the girls from the previous batch and it worked out real fine. She looked all pale but was big anyways, you told me that sometimes a plant doesn´t hook to the soil and that drench would tune the biology in the rizhosphere going (speaking with my own words).
I used it on one of the autos that was looking like that previous one with great results, from pale to dark green.

I was thinking on doing next Spray right after the Cat Drench. I.E Cat Drench when the lights are going out, and Brix when they go up the next day. But just as to take advantage for the stoma openning because of a)the first lights of the day (which you have already said) and b)the hydric potential after drench that favours transpiration.

Or could also be done first the spray, so to have nutrient storage before the shock of Cat Drench.

I think I should see how this work on the fast one and do it the other way around on the slower one.

Yep. That wet/dry thing really works if you want more roots and fewer leaves to calyxes. But if you want a leafy thing, keep 'em moist in veg.

So it also ups calyx-to-leaf ratio? Is it anecdotal or it really works every time with every strain? I usually let them dry in veg between waterings.

I'm sure you've tried it, but what about weaker Cat drenches, but more of them?

It does work everytime! First time I used it, got close to no leaves. Its sad for the edibles or if you´re thinking on using it for mulches, but it makes manicuring a breeze :high-five:

Doc, I just transplanted my rare darkness. They looked mad as fuck for about....an hour! Lmao!!! Theyve already forgiven me and seem to have grown an inch lol. Thank you...for all youve given us. From the bottom of my heart, and all who will enjoy my produce :)

Back
Top Bottom