DocBud - New Room - Super Soil - Etc

Re: DocBud....New Room, Super Soil, etc.

Wow! Thanks everyone....

This might be interesting, and I'd love to have some input:

I was reading about tobacco curing and read about a method that starts the cure at 120 degrees 85% humidity until the leaves brown, then they go for temps similar to what we use. I'm intrigued by that!

What do you all think?

i would be concerned with the heat Lvl of 120.... tobbaco has a higher burning point that Tricromes. they will melt around 120-130* (if i remember correctly)

i guess i hadent caught that your new girls were going 12/12 no mercy!
cant wait to see how this comes out!

i would be concerned with the heat Lvl of 120.... tobbaco has a higher burning point that Tricromes. they will melt around 120-130* (if i remember correctly)

i guess i hadent caught that your new girls were going 12/12 no mercy!
cant wait to see how this comes out!

I baked part of a crop in an oven at 115 once....did it to get rid of powdery mildew. I know my vape won't melt triches at 120. Also, the humidity might keep them from melting.....I don't know. I'm just intrigued by the whole process. We'll see.

I do know that this stuff can taste damn good if done right.....at least as good as premium pipe tobacco....there's much to be learned and tried.

RE: 12/12 I almost always grow 12/12 when growing from seed. The only time I veg is with clones.

NICE another advocate of no mercy!
hadnt heard of useing an oven for PM got to love learning new things.... heres another way i recently learned about **"Water cure"**
you will have to post results on the Heat cure!

Hi Doc, I'm subbed for this one, been watching all the others. I have an old book (early 70's?) that did the hi temp cure using sunlight to pump up the temp and humidity, turned the buds golden, then dried and cured at lower temps. When I get back home I'll look it up (I'm visiting your state now). I'm working w/ a buddy at home--consulting--got him doing hempy/OC+ vs soil/OC+ vs his hydro setup. Hope to post a journal from it but just filling up the flower room now. It's a med grow and he can have 144 plants, still getting some stuff outside too.

I am excited!:yahoo: This is going to be good!

Hi Doc -

Can't wait to follow along -- and you have me intrigued with the hydro mystery...

Love the drying/curing room - that much environmental control should lead to some really prime tasting meds.

Your tobacco curing method is interesting, not sure how that would work - but if anyone could give it a good test, I think you'd be our guy.

Looks great so far -

:popcorn:

:popcorn: Class is back in session with the Doc instructing. Time to pay attention!

Well i hope im not to late Ive read all your journals i am using oc+ on my outdoor girls and they are doing great hope to learn and grow as a grower thxs for taken the time to journal your grow for us :peacetwo:

Hey Doc!

I love the tobacco curing method idea. That's one of the things I admire about you...as good as you've gotten at what you do, you're always trying new things to get even better!

Anyway, you were making me think...I was pretty into cigars for a while, and if I'm remembering correctly, I think the high heat in the tobacco curing barns comes from the fermentation of the tobacco. :Namaste:

Well, not much to say yet.....we're on the verge of framing out two rooms, and right now I've just got seedlings and 4 Jack Herer that are about 2 weeks max from harvest.

I don't have new pics of the plants....but I did harvest one top and I took a few pics of that. Temps have been too high the last week....growing in tents is pretty tough.....I can't wait till I get my rooms framed up, AC'd, and all the gadgetry.

I also have a Merlin RO system.....750 gallons per day. Lottsa good water.

IMG_16255.JPG

IMG_16264.JPG

These pics aren't very good, I'll get some better ones in the near future. The buds are really nice, starting to look pretty dank, frosty, lumpy and chunky.

For those interested, these Jack's were grown in:

FFOF right out of the bag
OC+.....a good handful mixed in to the soil
3 waterings with compost tea
weeks of watering with snowstorm ultra
3 applications of Sucanat.

IMG_16204.JPG

IMG_16216.JPG

IMG_16236.JPG

IMG_16246.JPG

I thought I'd let a little more info out about what's going to be happening.

A guy with 25 years of professional growing is going to run a really nice hydro set up along side my organic soil set up. He does his own thing, his own way....and he does it really well. I'll do my best as well.

We'll be running identical clones of Jack Herer. We'll get to see how one stacks up against the other. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

IMG_16275.JPG

IMG_16286.JPG

What you see above will all go bye bye in a few days, as we'll be framing up some insulated, sealed room, with mini-split and window mount AC, C02, all the other environmental controls, etc.

Here are some more shots of the Jacks...nearing the end. They're doing the "fade," even with OC+. Lookin', smellin' and hopefully tastin' good.....this is such an elegant strain, and not that hard to grow. I'll try to grow it every time.
IMG_16296.JPG

IMG_16307.JPG

IMG_16324.JPG

closeup44.jpg

great pics doc!
one thing.....make sure that your soil and the hydro are in separate controllable environments.... you make your risks of dealing with PM higher when you put them in the same room.... we found this out at our shop when we were finishing construction...
just a thought!

i am excited to see the comparison of hydro vs organic soil with this wonderful strain.
we are working on geting it for the shop next run but its sold out atm :(
any chance you will share the mix runnin in the hydro as well?
love to see what different mixes are out there and are used (ours is a 15 part monster mix.... i hate it but it does verry well)
shit im ramblin its the ISS i just smoked
keep it green and keep us updated as im sure you will

great pics doc!
one thing.....make sure that your soil and the hydro are in separate controllable environments.... you make your risks of dealing with PM higher when you put them in the same room.... we found this out at our shop when we were finishing construction...
just a thought!

i am excited to see the comparison of hydro vs organic soil with this wonderful strain.
we are working on geting it for the shop next run but its sold out atm :(
any chance you will share the mix runnin in the hydro as well?
love to see what different mixes are out there and are used (ours is a 15 part monster mix.... i hate it but it does verry well)
shit im ramblin its the ISS i just smoked
keep it green and keep us updated as im sure you will

You are so very correct about isolating the soil from the hydro....and they will indeed be in seperate, sealed rooms.

I'll be posting more details as things happen, but I can tell you this about the hydro.....he knows what PPM's to run and has it down to the exact day of the bloom cycle:

IE, on Day 11 they get their first dose of Bushmaster. He's been growing the same 2 strains for over 10 years.......

I've become a big fan of the fine folks @ Emerald Triangle too.
The Emerald Jack and S.S.OG are incredibly robust/GIANT plants.
*I don't know how they'd work indoors though...maybe heavy pruning.* (Both will clone readily too)
Nice people....great genetics

Back
Top Bottom