Emmie's Vegan Fertilizer, Pineapple Chunk 2020 Celebration: Experimental Soil Grow

Fantastic work Em! Congratulations on a bountiful harvest. :yahoo:

Just more proof that what you get out equals what you put in.

You mentioned a dry weight calculator. Do you have a link for that?

Also, I can't remember, what size pots did you finally end up in for bloom? 5 gal?

I'm looking forward to the "smoke report". :)
yes, 5 gallon smart pots, enhanced with @Vulx.
My dry weight calculator is as follows: (wet weight - 10% for stems) / 4 = dry weight

Hold on to your hats dear readers... the numbers for Bertha Bud are in. Remember the foot long bud? Closer to 14 inches before you get to bare stem. Alone this bud weighed in at 165.4 grams, or 1.3oz dry. Total, Bertha netted us 946.7 grams, or 7.5 oz dry... again, in a 5 gallon container.

DSCF8058.JPG

It has been a weird day. First, my girls stopped drinking. Then my 6 am pictures didn't transfer somehow to the flash drive. Now, the freaking flash drive is gone. I don't have a clue where the dang thing went and I have looked everywhere and then some extra places after that. It must be sitting here, right in front of me... on top of something and in plain sight.
Good thing for spares...
I just took some more pictures, this time successfully AND with proper white balance, and I have gotten another look at the trichomes now several hours into their night. Everything seems to accelerate here at the end and not surprisingly there are now quite a few amber trichomes able to be seen up top.
This evening, we harvest. First we eat dinner and bulk up, being sure to drink lots of fluids while we prepare ourselves mentally for the task that we must do. 5-Hour Energy shots are at the ready, pruning scissors are clean and sharp.

Here are the pictures...
First, our important indicator leaf, a little bit greener than it was, even as everything is shutting down.

DSCF8041.JPG

And then the buds, and the closeups...

DSCF8053.JPG
DSCF8052.JPG
DSCF8051.JPG
DSCF8047.JPG
DSCF8046.JPG
DSCF8045.JPG
DSCF8044.JPG
DSCF8043.JPG
DSCF8042.JPG

I will be back later with more pictures and some numbers. Do I hear any guesses?
No guesses from me. But sorry, but I'm laughing out loud about the missing flash drive! To me it's just further confirmation that I'd like to be smoking the kind of weed you are growing!

You will find it. But of this I am certain, it will be in the last place you look. :Rasta:

How is the harvest going?

No guesses from me. But sorry, but I'm laughing out loud about the missing flash drive! To me it's just further confirmation that I'd like to be smoking the kind of weed you are growing!

You will find it. But of this I am certain, it will be in the last place you look. :Rasta:

DSCF8064.JPG

The harvest is all hung up, finally... a full 8 hours of work.

Piza, our shortest plant sitting on a box did alright for herself. She ended up with 679.7g of bud, or 5.4 oz dry.

This puts the total for this harvest at right around 5 lbs wet, or 2,295 grams, which will dry down to approximately 18.22 oz, not a bad return from 3x 5 gallon containers of soil in a 2x4 tent.

Now we wait for the cure. This is going to be a little tricky this time, as I am flying out of here at 8am on Saturday morning. Between now and then I need to get at least a 3 day dry in, and then I am going to settle them into a low and slow situation in the fridge while I am gone.

DSCF8064.JPG

Piza, our shortest plant sitting on a box did alright for herself. She ended up with 679.7g of bud, or 5.4 oz dry.

This puts the total for this harvest at right around 5 lbs wet, or 2,295 grams, which will dry down to approximately 18.22 oz, not a bad return from 3x 5 gallon containers of soil in a 2x4 tent.

Now we wait for the cure. This is going to be a little tricky this time, as I am flying out of here at 8am on Saturday morning. Between now and then I need to get at least a 3 day dry in, and then I am going to settle them into a low and slow situation in the fridge while I am gone.
Damn! That's awesome! I'm in daily trichome monitor mode. I had to support some lower stems today they were sagging so bad I was afraid they'd break off... Hell yeah! Lol. Things are fattening up nicely, not like your girls but based on my slow cold start I'm gettin' happy!

Damn! That's awesome! I'm in daily trichome monitor mode. I had to support some lower stems today they were sagging so bad I was afraid they'd break off... Hell yeah! Lol. Things are fattening up nicely, not like your girls but based on my slow cold start I'm gettin' happy!
DSCF8064.JPG

Great. Job. :yummy:

Found it. It could not be seen while sitting in my office chair, and usually when I stand up I am not looking back at the screen... but there it was, sitting nice and pretty on top of the monitor. Why I put it there, I do not know... I never have before. Nothing goes up there on that thin ledge at the top of the LED flatscreen... but somehow in my frustration that my files weren't on it, it levitated into position without me noticing.
It was indeed a strange day yesterday.
I walked into the house to quite a smell of drying cannabis this afternoon. This will not do. I will set up a second can-filter outside of the tent to filter that room's air full time, since I can't run the extractor fan in the tent where they are hanging full time and still get a slow dry. I have that fan set on the first 15 minutes of every hour for now to clear the tent of smells and bring in some fresh air, and that may be a bit excessive when it comes to getting a slow dry, but then again, my time is short this time. Right now I am controlling the extraction fan via a WYZE smart plug and using an applet designed in IFTTT to cycle it as often as 4 times an hour, so I have quite a bit of control over the rate of drying. Even so, over a pound of drying pot does stink a bit more than I expected so I am going to have to go to extraordinary measures.

That is some impressive weight for an 8 sqft space. I'd like to see 420mag do a contest for weight to sqft, I think you'd be a front-runner. :)

You mentioned your work-around for curing this time, (3 days hanging, and ? days in the refrigerator).

How long do you normally hang dry? Then refrig? I read examples of others of 7-10 days each. I was just curious what side of that you leaned towards.

I was thinking about sponsoring something similar, but more along the lines of "best comparison grow" where final per plant weight was a metric (among many others) to determine the winner.
Well, let me know if it becomes a contest... I might have to pull out all the stops! It's scary to think of what I might be able to accomplish in a 4x4 with Vulx enhanced plants!

That is some impressive weight for an 8 sqft space. I'd like to see 420mag do a contest for weight to sqft, I think you'd be a front-runner. :)

You mentioned your work-around for curing this time, (3 days hanging, and ? days in the refrigerator).

How long do you normally hang dry? Then refrig? I read examples of others of 7-10 days each. I was just curious what side of that you leaned towards.
Thank you Rad! Yes, I like to extend the dry for as long as I can, always shooting for a week to 10 days, but rarely achieving it. The fridge thing is a solution to a problem and not one that I prefer because of the smell it creates, but I am going to be gone for 8 days and I have to do something... the buds are certainly not going to be ready to be sealed in a jar. My goal is to get them dry enough to be able to withstand a week in paper sacks in my crisper drawer, but not so dry that they crisp out while I am gone. I have never tried this, and it is going to be a bit of a gamble, but one I am willing to take for 8 days. Who knows... I may find a preferred way of curing by doing it this way. I have both fingers and toes crossed.

Just a suggestion...You could stick them in the freezer,and finish the slow dry when you get back...
that's a lot of pot to risk "too dry" on....

Just a suggestion...You could stick them in the freezer,and finish the slow dry when you get back...
that's a lot of pot to risk "too dry" on....
That's actually a good idea... I have room in the deep freeze, and that would help draw out some moisture too and wouldn't smell while I am gone.

I thought placing them in the freezer, with a higher moisture content was undesirable. Something about the entrapped moisture freezing, expanding, and damaging the buds. (freezer burn)

I'm thinking you may be able to recover easier , if it over-drys in the frig, to re-moisten via humidity or dousing later.
Freezer burn may not be recoverable.

Either way, the experiment continues!

I have been worrying about that since this discussion started... I remember something about the cell walls exploding and that dramatically changing the product. Maybe I will do some of both, but really thinking the low and slow would be very nice if it gave me a nice partial cure while I was away. Maybe also experiment there, with some in airtight containers and some in sacks.

I remember something about the cell walls exploding and that dramatically changing the product.

Yes, I had read that too. I think a week in the frig will at least leave you something to work with.

As for paper bags vs air tight containers... I found a flow chart on a curing link that recommends the product be placed in the refrigerator almost immediately after harvest, whilst leaving the product on open trays. (I'm thinking wire shelving may be even work better.)

The issue with air tight containers is the condensation will not escape, possibly keeping the product in contact with water. Plus if the moisture is trapped, your drying rate will be reduced.

The below chart/methodology seems to use the refrigerator as a way to force dehydration for 7-10 days, then has you perform a "jar test" to measure progress.

The beauty of this chart is, it is in mesh with your travel plans. You may miss one burp on the third scheduled day, but you've already "burped" the product by hang drying for a while. So you can then measure the RH and compensate when you return.

So, I'm hoping this will keep you in a proven methodology, and minimize the risk of damaging the product you worked so hard to obtain....

Should you still wish to appease the "experiment" gods, now you should only have to risk what you are willing to lose. ;)

Cure flow chart.jpg

DSCF8064.JPG

I knew you had over a pound in those three since I had over 18oz dried myself in 3 plants with the mismanaged, seat of my pants grow last time...! Looks great!

Back
Top Bottom