Exceptionally High Feco Yeilds: Straw Hat Notes

And how does this all relate to whether or not to defoliate to expose bud sites?
Hi AZ,
Each and every flower on your plant is supported by a network of foliar energy sources we call leaves. Among other vital functions like transpiration control, the leaves provide photosynthetic energy required by the flower for the fulfilment of reproductive responsibilities.

In plant biology a rule of thumb (sort of) is taking away anything that affects the balance of nature (homeostasis) must be paid for in another area. Translocation is the process of a plant moving available resources around where they are most needed. If we rob a bud site of a leaf, the plant will in turn reallocate it's needs and draw on available energy from other leaves not as close to the robbed leaf's flower and will be less plant efficient than local foliar support lost when the leaf was cut.

The flower you are trying to enhance via defoliation now must work harder to just break even.
Please, don't eat the Daisy's. I really hope some of this makes sense. :love:

Thanks, M! That makes perfect sense.

As a corollary to that I assume using LST to open up other leaves to light without cutting anything off will be a positive input since more leaves are exposed to light?

And how about topping vs. pinching? I assume a pinching off of new growth at the top early on is preferable to waiting and then cutting several nodes down since it is less of a wound?

Thanks, M! That makes perfect sense.

As a corollary to that I assume using LST to open up other leaves to light without cutting anything off will be a positive input since more leaves are exposed to light? You bet! Plants spend a fair amount of available plant resources employing shade avoidance, so any help is appreciated.

And how about topping vs. pinching? I assume a pinching off of new growth at the top early on is preferable to waiting and then cutting several nodes down since it is less of a wound? I don't top after pubescence. Pinch and bend, then tie down the branch maintaining the desired canopy height. btw plant puberty around here is called stretch.

Ahoy there,
Garden update. Harvest complete Northern Stankberry and Stankberry. The Northern X Stankberry has superior smell over its counterpart straight Stankberry. Both produced tight nugs under the mega light.

Three crews approaching or in flower downstairs. The Northern Lights Autos are in flower looking strange but they were free? A crew of 8 Red Sky Sativa (unsexed) and a crew of 5 Kahunas Curse (local breeder indica hybrid) that will break off into the other bloom room at flip.

If I get my act together (doubtful) our brother @Rexer will be taking command of my wheelhouse (in a sense) as he steers Maritimers ship into the Deep-Water Culture World. Yep, getting all the gear slowly and soon will be in water. Not sure I would have the confidence to go hydroponic without friends like Rexer. :love:

Ahoy there,
Garden update. Harvest complete Northern Stankberry and Stankberry. The Northern X Stankberry has superior smell over its counterpart straight Stankberry. Both produced tight nugs under the mega light.

Three crews approaching or in flower downstairs. The Northern Lights Autos are in flower looking strange but they were free? A crew of 8 Red Sky Sativa (unsexed) and a crew of 5 Kahunas Curse (local breeder indica hybrid) that will break off into the other bloom room at flip.

If I get my act together (doubtful) our brother @Rexer will be taking command of my wheelhouse (in a sense) as he steers Maritimers ship into the Deep-Water Culture World. Yep, getting all the gear slowly and soon will be in water. Not sure I would have the confidence to go hydroponic without friends like Rexer. :love:
Happy to help steer you through this Maritimer!
You may have to lean on Shed and a few others though with the GH Trio ratios (I keep mine simple with Floranova--> it's a one stop bottle, one in grow, another for bloom...I like it enough, that I buy it by the gallon now).
Once you get the hang of it, you'll see it's just a few min each day, and the reward pays nicely.

Doing a good bit of extrapolations from abstracts lending support to a theory regarding repeated droughts. Caplan determined early on that repetitive drought had adverse effects on THC yields. Starting to think he was mistaken.

The ability to "learn" drought resistance has been elucidated with many plant species and may explain some spectacular results we cannabis gardeners have observed. @Stunger and his old clay pot come readily into my memory. What if we can teach them some drought resistance with a measured approach utilizing LWA.

The idea here is that perhaps (just maybe) the plant will react with improved hormonal defenses that result in even greater efficiency's producing secondary metabolites. The agitation of JA pathways in nature can occur at random intervals. The abiotic and biotic stressors are reported to the GRN wherein the ability to learn will occur, if it does occur.
The introductory drought need not attain SSR, but need be strong enough to be an event that will not escape the GRN's attention. The GRN could recognize low moisture sooner and respond more efficiently. tbc

Doing a good bit of extrapolations from abstracts lending support to a theory regarding repeated droughts. Caplan determined early on that repetitive drought had adverse effects on THC yields. Starting to think he was mistaken.

The ability to "learn" drought resistance has been elucidated with many plant species and may explain some spectacular results we cannabis gardeners have observed. @Stunger and his old clay pot come readily into my memory. What if we can teach them some drought resistance with a measured approach utilizing LWA.

The idea here is that perhaps (just maybe) the plant will react with improved hormonal defenses that result in even greater efficiency's producing secondary metabolites. The agitation of JA pathways in nature can occur at random intervals. The abiotic and biotic stressors are reported to the GRN wherein the ability to learn will occur, if it does occur.
The introductory drought need not attain SSR, but need be strong enough to be an event that will not escape the GRN's attention. The GRN could recognize low moisture sooner and respond more efficiently. tbc
Hey Maratimer, this, "The GRN could recognize low moisture sooner and respond more efficiently." has my attention! Makes sense to me!

Hey Maratimer, this, "The GRN could recognize low moisture sooner and respond more efficiently." has my attention! Makes sense to me!
Hi Stone,
Been looking at a couple ideas running round my head. What if ; kind of things.

What if we can
teach them a measure of drought resistance or utilize the MeJA, imitating injuries from pests to add resilience.
or elucidate the significance of cannabis treated with MeJA improving cancer cell killing resources in our body?

As it is, the VA is keeping tabs on my personal health as I have accumulated a bit of fame among them. 5 years ago, I was diagnosed with CAC and given approximately 2.8 years to live. Around that same time it was discovered that I suffered a major heart attack while strapped to a bed living through delirium tremors (alcohol detox) so the normal monitors were not attached to me. Anyhow I had this heart attack and the CAC diagnosis hit me like a kick in the ....

Well, I am still alive, and my heart numbers have improved. Both unlikely events. With my suggestion, the VA began acknowledging and studying my super high cannabinoid content (labs) with my conditions. Then I told them about the MeJA and they got really interested. I have been using the jazz for about four years now.

What if;

I agree with your thoughts on repeated droughts as evidenced by Stunger's plant.

As stresses go, and assuming they are all relatively equal in perceived severity to the plant, I would think droughting should be limited if possible to the latter part of the plant’s life, less you unnecessarily sacrifice size due to lack of growing resources.

We see it all the time in SIP Club, plants grow much more quickly and larger than comparable plants on even a normal wet/dry cycle in veg.

If the same or similar stress can be achieved in another manner that doesn't sacrifice growth, it would seem the better alternative.

I would think droughting should be limited if possible to the latter part of the plant’s life, less you unnecessarily sacrifice size due to lack of growing resources.
I recall that Caplan made the point that droughting on his schedule didn't decrease the final weights, which I think helps convince folks that it's an experiment worth trying.

If you had to pitch droughting as "more resin, lower yield" it would be a harder sell.

I recall that Caplan made the point that droughting on his schedule didn't decrease the final weights, which I think helps convince folks that it's an experiment worth trying.

If you had to pitch droughting as "more resin, lower yield" it would be a harder sell.
Right, but withholding water through  any part of the grow lowers the yield so that's why I'm thinking other stressors have a larger window in which to be used. Caplan did his drought late in the plants life when most of the bud growth would have been behind it.

Ahoy there!
An open thank you letter to @Carcass from a young Navy Veteran named Laura (RIP).

Dear Carcass,
I wanted to thank you for teaching David how to make your gummy medicine. He has been able to help me find some serenity as things have worsened. The pain is still present, but much of the anxiety has disappeared.
Love Laura

Laura passed away last night. She had given me her note Monday night.
She was a Persian Gulf Combat Medalist. RIP :love:

Thank You, Maritimer-
I'm so sorry to hear of Lauras passing- I'm glad that her life was made a little more comfortable
with the gummies- I wish they could've done more for her.
Laura and her family will be in my prayers tonight...
Thank you for your service, and Rest in Peace, Laura..💜

Back
Top Bottom