First Time Grower - Raspberry Cough

Looking good JonL!

Defoliating the fan leaves is one of those grey areas in terms of growing. You ask five people and you will get five different answers type of thing. My preference is to go light on the defoliation with two exceptions: once right before the flip and again a few weeks into flower, after the stretch has slowed down. The only other time I pluck fan leaves is when they are dying off or when they are blocking too much light. So I would do the same as you and simply tuck them when possible.

I completely agree Joe. I defoliate all the time while in hydro, but those plants grow ... foliage is much more dense. I may not defoliate at all in soil depending on strain. You did the right thing by just tucking the big syuff under for now and allowing the new stuff a peak at the sun. Hobrah knows what he's saying

Looking good JonL!

Defoliating the fan leaves is one of those grey areas in terms of growing. You ask five people and you will get five different answers type of thing. My preference is to go light on the defoliation with two exceptions: once right before the flip and again a few weeks into flower, after the stretch has slowed down. The only other time I pluck fan leaves is when they are dying off or when they are blocking too much light. So I would do the same as you and simply tuck them when possible.

Where are you from Hobrah? I see the "hang loose" in the Hawaiian flag...

I think my baby #1 is starting to pre-flower? #2 has nothing and 3 looks like it may have something idk i'll maybe take more pics in couple days and do a mid-week update, but #1 has these new growths on 2 stems which were growing beside the main cola before i took it off so now these are the 2 main colas. thoughts?, i know its to early to tell the sex but thoughts are nice lol

Also i don't know why i keep forgetting but i always found the plants has some what of a smell, but i have a family member who found out i have these plants and she sniffed them and says #2 smells more the the rest so i smelled them to see and #1 doesn't really smell just kinda like normal plant smell, #3 does has a slight pot smell but #2 my god it smells really really strong it will almost knock you on your ass lol so if smell if a thing to go by #2 is probably female and my #1 is probably a male :( i can't believe how potent #2 is such a small plant could smell so powerful.

#2's future lol

Also i don't know why i keep forgetting but i always found the plants has some what of a smell, but i have a family member who found out i have these plants and she sniffed them and says #2 smells more the the rest so i smelled them to see and #1 doesn't really smell just kinda like normal plant smell, #3 does has a slight pot smell but #2 my god it smells really really strong it will almost knock you on your ass lol so if smell if a thing to go by #2 is probably female and my #1 is probably a male :( i can't believe how potent #2 is such a small plant could smell so powerful.

#2's future lol
Never heard of smell being used to sex plants. What you're seeing are different phenotypes. Some plants smell strong, one next to it may mot smell as strong but may show color in the leaves. These are just different traits of the strains we re growing. As these strains are created the breeders may grow 100s of plants. From these plants the breeders pick the phenotypes they want to see in the end. The phenotypes still come and go in the finished product.

Oh, and i wouldn't put too much stock in what I said about big plants being male.

Never heard of smell being used to sex plants. What you're seeing are different phenotypes. Some plants smell strong, one next to it may mot smell as strong but may show color in the leaves. These are just different traits of the strains we re growing. As these strains are created the breeders may grow 100s of plants. From these plants the breeders pick the phenotypes they want to see in the end. The phenotypes still come and go in the finished product.

Oh, and i wouldn't put too much stock in what I said about big plants being male.

LOL ok and i wasn't really saying you could sex by smell just that if females(which grow buds) they probably smell more then a male (with out bud) Is this strong smell a good thing?

I didn't write about my setup because i know it was gonna make some other growers cringe or shake their heads. I'm a first time grower and didn't have a bunch of cash to do it the right way the first time, i will be getting more resources along the way and in time for the 2nd grow perhaps. The plants are in a 5x15ft? room i'm not using the whole space but thats the size of the room, it has one window that i blocked so no light gets in, its also the room my water pump and hot water tank are in, it stays at a pretty nice temp, if it gets to cold i can just crack the door and heat from the pellet stove in the next room blows right in. I'm using a Mars 300w LEDm i know not enough or the best some might say but im gonna get more light in the next couple weeks, as for soil i currently have the cheap $3 walmart brand soil, i didn't wanna over do it when they were young, i do plan on getting promix or other organic stuff from a nursery very soon, i also have 20-25 year old horse manure outside that i may give them, i had super hot peppers last year they were not growing so i gave them horse crap and bam you'd think i gave them steroids. As for water i give them distilled, i never check PH as i don't got a tester or PH up,down yet but they seem to be doing ok. I have fed them once so far with miracle gro thats high in nitrogen (12) i put half the recommended dose, 8 drops in a liter of water and shared it between then. I have plans to get other nutes for when they go into flower, i don't plan on using MC the whole time. I think that's it.
Brother dont worry about having a ghetto setup. I love a ghetto setup. You could make life a little bit easier and get yaself a tent but if you aint up for breaking the bank theres many a trick you can find around here. I see one guy just get some plastic sheeting, the kind with black on one side and flat white on the other and just hung it around the plant like a doctors curtain almost just plant size lol

LOL ok and i wasn't really saying you could sex by smell just that if females(which grow buds) they probably smell more then a male (with out bud) Is this strong smell a good thing?
Some very popular strains don't smell much as they grow. Northern Lights, is renowned for being without smell till it's cured, in saying that, i have seen some Northern Lights that would clear your sinuses. The first couple grows I did didn't have a big smell. I was pissed, but the cure is just as important and how you grow. This is when your bud can really come alive. Any harshness is chilled out. The green smell is replaced by the smell you were looking for.

Brother dont worry about having a ghetto setup. I love a ghetto setup. You could make life a little bit easier and get yaself a tent but if you aint up for breaking the bank theres many a trick you can find around here. I see one guy just get some plastic sheeting, the kind with black on one side and flat white on the other and just hung it around the plant like a doctors curtain almost just plant size lol
So true

Ya i plan to add things to the setup, along the way but as long as plants are happy i'll take my time and not break the bank.

Some very popular strains don't smell much as they grow. Northern Lights, is renowned for being without smell till it's cured, in saying that, i have seen some Northern Lights that would clear your sinuses. The first couple grows I did didn't have a big smell. I was pissed, but the cure is just as important and how you grow. This is when your bud can really come alive. Any harshness is chilled out. The green smell is replaced by the smell you were looking for.
All my girls are from fem seed and have showed signs of being such so I cant tell ya about the male stank but my girls are all still in veg so no bud to speak of but they all smell. Not hugely but once I walk in the room before I get to the room where the my tents are I can smell it. They all have theyre own smells aswell you can only really tell that when you start f***in about with em tho

All my girls are from fem seed and have showed signs of being such so I cant tell ya about the male stank but my girls are all still in veg so no bud to speak of but they all smell. Not hugely but once I walk in the room before I get to the room where the my tents are I can smell it. They all have theyre own smells aswell you can only really tell that when you start f***in about with em tho

When i open the door to the grow room their is a slight smell nothing big then when i plug in the light it sucks in air and spits it out so i get the smell more as the light is around head level lol. but ya idk #2 stinks :) thankfully the smell doesn't travel very far you gotta be right at the plants to smell anythign.

It's funny how the smell works, especially skunk, it can be much stronger outside the room them inside. I can't explain it. I have two grow rooms. One in a shed in the back, the other in the garage. When my shed was at its peak last season you could smell it as far away as the front yard, but no real skunky smell to speak of in the room... so wierd

If you got a real good outtake then that could explain it. You got carbon filters on your outtake? Unless stealth isnt something your worried about, in which case yer bless. stink up the gaff ;) lol
It's funny how the smell works, especially skunk, it can be much stronger outside the room them inside. I can't explain it. I have two grow rooms. One in a shed in the back, the other in the garage. When my shed was at its peak last season you could smell it as far away as the front yard, but no real skunky smell to speak of in the room... so wierd

Quick Mid-Week Update: Thought i'd do a quick update and take a final pic of the plants in their current pots, as i probably will go out and buy them their final and bigger pots. #1 has growth in terms of the smaller branches on the sides and top have gotten bigger, #2 is a little taller or fuller. #3 is bout the same leaves have grow some. I think it's a good time for better pots as it may help them grow more also when i move the soil it very easy to uncover roots and the roots are coming out the bottom i have trimmed them before but bigger pots would be good. I noticed #1 has its stipules on the top on both side are crossed and in the shape of a "X" which made me think of Wonder Woman and makes me hope that its trying to tell me its a female lol.

Yer theyre still quite young. Give it a couple weeks and youll be noticing it more and more :p nothing better than the smell of growing weed. You can always tell walking past someones house whether or not they are smoking it or growing it lol

Back
Top Bottom