First Time Grower - Raspberry Cough

Good luck with your grow. I started the same place you are. I even started with the same mars 300 and I still use it today. Now my tent is filled with multiple brands because I would just add lights when I felt comfortable splurging on a new item.
I have used the Walmart soil and if they can survive the first two weeks, then you can make it to the finish line.
Good luck and holler if you need anything. I have saved plants from dying by posting Picts of my sick girls. I got the support here and fixed my problem.

Quick Mid-Week Update: Thought i'd do a quick update and take a final pic of the plants in their current pots, as i probably will go out and buy them their final and bigger pots. #1 has growth in terms of the smaller branches on the sides and top have gotten bigger, #2 is a little taller or fuller. #3 is bout the same leaves have grow some. I think it's a good time for better pots as it may help them grow more also when i move the soil it very easy to uncover roots and the roots are coming out the bottom i have trimmed them before but bigger pots would be good. I noticed #1 has its stipules on the top on both side are crossed and in the shape of a "X" which made me think of Wonder Woman and makes me hope that its trying to tell me its a female lol.

How much larger will the new pots be? Same soil?

If i can make a recommendation there is an additive called Rapid Start from General Hydro. It's not cheap, but it's highly concentrated and you can use it throughout the season. This and any form of Silica are 2 of my favorite additives for impressive plants. Impressive plants make impressive yields. I have 2 plants left this season (out of 5) the first three have put out 34oz. This isn't anything close to record breaking, but not too bad.

Your plants look wonderful. Keep it up

So, i should have stated that Rapid Start is a root targeting additive. In my opinion its one of the best. They compare it to House and Garden Gold, but at a fraction of the price. Highly recommended.

Here is another great root additive. Great White, a fungal based product with beneficial bacteria, trichderma and other stuff. I use this one to amend the soil as I transplant, kinda why I'm drying you again.

I see a plant as a group of systems that all need attention. You are starting out so your attention should be a solid base... nutrients in their correct amount and application, which you will see in your leaves, BUT that is really only half the story. Your roots have the capability to go crazy right now, and they absolutely should. Your roots do a hell of a lot more than hold your plant up. They are entirely responsible for nutrient/water uptake (unless you are foliar feeding... we can talk about that later). The more advanced each system is the better off your plant will do. No one will argue that.

No one starting out ever pays attention to the roots, they are too busy tripping on the stuff you can see. Don't do that.
Roots are the easiest part of the plant to build. If you amended your soil with Great White, or another mycorrhiza based product and use Rapid Start, or House and Garden, or even Bioroot, everything else in the future will be much easier. Your nutrient uptake will be far better. And your plant won't look anything like it was a first grow. Big roots now don't go away they they act like big roots later... but a whole lot sooner. Don't wait.

Next time I will ramble on about Silica. Easily the most overlooked element in growing, and in my mind one of the most powerful for big plants. It does so many things it's nothing short of negligent not to use it.... well maybe not that bad, but the stuff does rock. Cheers

So, i should have stated that Rapid Start is a root targeting additive. In my opinion its one of the best. They compare it to House and Garden Gold, but at a fraction of the price. Highly recommended.

Here is another great root additive. Great White, a fungal based product with beneficial bacteria, trichderma and other stuff. I use this one to amend the soil as I transplant, kinda why I'm drying you again.

I see a plant as a group of systems that all need attention. You are starting out so your attention should be a solid base... nutrients in their correct amount and application, which you will see in your leaves, BUT that is really only half the story. Your roots have the capability to go crazy right now, and they absolutely should. Your roots do a hell of a lot more than hold your plant up. They are entirely responsible for nutrient/water uptake (unless you are foliar feeding... we can talk about that later). The more advanced each system is the better off your plant will do. No one will argue that.

No one starting out ever pays attention to the roots, they are too busy tripping on the stuff you can see. Don't do that.
Roots are the easiest part of the plant to build. If you amended your soil with Great White, or another mycorrhiza based product and use Rapid Start, or House and Garden, or even Bioroot, everything else in the future will be much easier. Your nutrient uptake will be far better. And your plant won't look anything like it was a first grow. Big roots now don't go away they they act like big roots later... but a whole lot sooner. Don't wait.

Next time I will ramble on about Silica. Easily the most overlooked element in growing, and in my mind one of the most powerful for big plants. It does so many things it's nothing short of negligent not to use it.... well maybe not that bad, but the stuff does rock. Cheers

I'll keep an eye out, like i said before finding nutes in my town is hard, i'll check online too, Also i was thinking of using Promix and Walmart brand soil i was gonna mix them together, probably more promix then anything. also the pots they are in not are supposed to be 3 gallon which i find hard but i plan to get 5-7 gal containers.

Sounds like online will be your link. The cloth smart pots are light easy to ship, and run the gamut on size. I've seen them all the way to 400 gallons.
I think you can probably use whatever soil you find, as long as it doesn't come with time release nutrients already in it. You want to make sure it's "open", meaning water will easily drain out. It's just as important to have air in your soil as water. An open soil will make sure both sides are sorted. If the soil isnt very open, then augment it with vermiculite. If youre watering every other day or so and using approximately a 10 liter container I'd say you'e on the right track...

There are a ton of Canadians on this forum. There are some things you just wont be able to get, but always a substitute. The link to the other Strawberry Cough grow is an outstanding member of this forum, and Canadian. Super cool. Very smart, and has a million followers. This is important because if you have a problem more people will see it. I asked to use his thread to diagnose a problem once, and got all kinds of answers. There are a ton of people here that really know their stuff. Pennywise, Scrogdawg, Rider, and many more. Sam Smith brought up Asensino85. The guy can grow, but he thinks he invented LST which is rediculous, so i dont pay much attenion to him... I'm sure GTokin will would love to talk to you, he would probably follow this grow if you asked him to

I know different strains grow faster then others but i read some people veg for 4 weeks then flower but my 2 plants are 5 inchs high there no way they will be ready in 1-2 weeks, is it normal to be so short and bushy for a sativa strain. the light is 12 inchs away from them.

You're doing fine. Soil is a lot slower than DWC and coco. I am doing a 4 week veg and flip grow now. As far as a the leaves looking like sativa they will as they get more mature. If you look back at the picture i posted showing those 3 2 week old plants look at the leaves especially the girl scout cookies front center.

Same plant center front in this picture. First pic was in a 30"x 30" tent. This one is in a 4'x4'.

I wouldn't worry about them. Nirvana is a solid company and the plants are consistant normally under equal conditions. They are shorter than other breeders and they tend to stretch a little longer than some breeders after you flip them.

As much as I hate to recommend Walmart for anything, I noticed that Alaska brand now has a line formulated for hydro. It seems like they are entering the cannabis market now. They have a veg, bloom, micronutrient, cal-mag, pH up and pH down all available in quart bottles for about US$10.

You're doing fine. Soil is a lot slower than DWC and coco. I am doing a 4 week veg and flip grow now. As far as a the leaves looking like sativa they will as they get more mature. If you look back at the picture i posted showing those 3 2 week old plants look at the leaves especially the girl scout cookies front center.

Same plant center front in this picture. First pic was in a 30"x 30" tent. This one is in a 4'x4'.

I wouldn't worry about them. Nirvana is a solid company and the plants are consistant normally under equal conditions. They are shorter than other breeders and they tend to stretch a little longer than some breeders after you flip them.
Nirvana breeds their plants shorter?

I'm sorry Sam, but that's ridiculous. Every plant is different, let alone different strains, and familial traits. To say a breeder grows plants small on purpose is even more ridiculous. What is the benefit? To suit indoor growers? What about outdoors? Do you believe an outdoor grower would benefit from small compact plants? How many different breeders have you grown?

Look. I'm really not trying to shit on you. You have said some things in the past that clearly weren't based in reality, and i let it go. But this one is a Dusey. We are trying to help this guy with the best info we... all if us. Please make sure if you are gonna share you are saying something that is true.

I'm sorry Sam, but that's ridiculous. Every plant is different, let alone different strains, and familial traits. To say a breeder grows plants small on purpose is even more ridiculous. What is the benefit? To suit indoor growers? What about outdoors? Do you believe an outdoor grower would benefit from small compact plants? How many different breeders have you grown?

Look. I'm really not trying to shit on you. You have said some things in the past that clearly weren't based in reality, and i let it go. But this one is a Dusey. We are trying to help this guy with the best info we... all if us. Please make sure if you are gonna share you are saying something that is true.

Look all I said was that I recognized the name of strain and plant structure as a typical Nirvana hybrid. They are the only breeder that I know that has that strain. Their stock that I have grown and watched others grow all seem to veg the same (Northern Lights, Jock Horror, AK48 and Girl Scout cookies) for me and others with what they have grown. In flower they show their respective traits. I tried to show him with the pictures of the same plant that the leaf characteristics do change to reassure him that his plants were typical.

Do I believe that the same so called strain types differ from breeder to breeder? Yes. Blondes vs. brunette’s kinda thing. Different breeders probably select stock based on their individual preference. YMMV

I will leave you to your opinions on what I posted and leave this thread alone. My intent was to reassure the OP that everything was normal and he was fine. Sorry if it went sideways and you got offended.

Look all I said was that I recognized the name of strain and plant structure as a typical Nirvana hybrid. They are the only breeder that I know that has that strain. Their stock that I have grown and watched others grow all seem to veg the same (Northern Lights, Jock Horror, AK48 and Girl Scout cookies) for me and others with what they have grown. In flower they show their respective traits. I tried to show him with the pictures of the same plant that the leaf characteristics do change to reassure him that his plants were typical.

Do I believe that the same so called strain types differ from breeder to breeder? Yes. Blondes vs. brunette’s kinda thing. Different breeders probably select stock based on their individual preference. YMMV

I will leave you to your opinions on what I posted and leave this thread alone. My intent was to reassure the OP that everything was normal and he was fine. Sorry if it went sideways and you got offended.

Taking off Sam? Well be sure to read a book or two.

Sorry if i made a mess out of your thread Jon. Made up information doesn't help anyone.

Update Week 4:

Well i wasn't going to make a update tonight even though it marks week 4, i didn't think the plant really grew that much and i did manage to get new pots yet :( . I was going to get new ones Thursday but mother nature decided shes not done torturing me yet and blew in a snow storm so that plan got cancelled i didn't go yesterday as i went to see a Dr and get this chronic cough i've had for a week straight now checked out and now its the weekend so i just decided screw it i'll go Monday. To those that don't now i live in a rural area the nearest garden shop or walmart is 40 min drive away, not like i can just drive down the street, also the Dr was in the nearest town 15 min away and that town has nothing, its pretty bad place to buy anything, anyway enough about my crap. i topped #2 it looked big enough and ready so i topped it Thursday, i cut off the lowest set of leaves on the stock which would of been the 2nd set of true leaves, on all 3 plants, i figured they were hanging there all by themselves probably using unnecessary energy and nutes. So now the closest thing from the soil is branches. on #1 there is 2 leaves which were in the way of new growth so i bent them back underneath the new growth, i was thinking of cutting the leafs right off but thought that may not be best, then there are 2 other leaves i also bent back. so now #1 looks really nice and bushy, almost like shes getting ready to go into flower mode, (i hope) hope #2 does the same this week. also i noticed that where the stock meets the branch it is almost swollen looking figured this is normal but i took pics just in case.

Looking good JonL!

Defoliating the fan leaves is one of those grey areas in terms of growing. You ask five people and you will get five different answers type of thing. My preference is to go light on the defoliation with two exceptions: once right before the flip and again a few weeks into flower, after the stretch has slowed down. The only other time I pluck fan leaves is when they are dying off or when they are blocking too much light. So I would do the same as you and simply tuck them when possible.

Back
Top Bottom