Fluffy's World Of Pure Imagination Part 1 - First Ever Grow - Wardrobe -HPS/MH - Soil

Re: Fluffy's World of Pure Imagination Part 1 - First Ever Grow - Wardrobe/HPS/MH/Soi

Been quiet as it's all rather gone to poop this end, then I lose my job so now can't even buy any smoke!

Anyhooo....onwards....

I am still rather stuck in the getting stuff together phase as I just haven't been able to get going as I want to.

My current sticking point is the extractor fan. It supposedly comes with a bloody instruction manual but it doesn't really help very much at all. I was hoping it would be idiot proof i.e. for me!

I got an "EnviroVent Silent 100". It says "is an extractor designed for a single phase supply with voltage and frequency as indicated on the rating plate of the unit. The units are manufactured with double electrival insulation and therefore do not need an earth connection. The electrical installation must include a double pole switch with a contact clearance of at least 3mm".

I don't suppose anyone out there has any tips? I can't really call in an electrician (lol) and I desperately need to get this grow on the way.

How frustrating....grrrrr.....but if anyone can help me I would be so grateful so I can add it to another thing on my learned how to do list :)

Re: Fluffy's World of Pure Imagination Part 1 - First Ever Grow - Wardrobe/HPS/MH/Soi

You are such a wise old owl aren't you? (I say old but you could be younger than me, it's just wise and old seem to go together lol).

lo fluff, wise 'n' old ah.... at 37, Mmm got some grey hairs like badger stripes if that helps with the image of ol fuzz... if only ducks roosted in trees i could kick that owl out of meh spot... lol

Well er, i looked at that vent of yours, pretty easy to find after a google about... domestic market bathroom vent by the looks of things, that ol double pole switch is like domestic light switch or socket which we have in house holds etc for plugging in the hover etc

I'm not total sure about the wiring of this sort of stuff tho... at a push if ya haven't got a trust worthy electrician type of friend to sort this out, you may have to take it back to the shop 'n' get ya money back !

We can see what others may other in advice also :thumb:

The other options is go online or source a local hydro shop to visit and purchase an inline fan.

I'm quite in favour of 3ch.co.uk they have multiple shops around the county of kent -
Reading
Dartford
Watford
Maidstone
Oxford
Chertsey
Waltham Abbey
Canterbury
West Thurrock
Aylesbury
St Albans
Slough
Mottingham
High Wycombe
Gillingham

The wolfnado fans are pretty good with 2 year guarantee & plug in & play - no wiring required.

The RVK models are pretty alright but come unwired the smaller models don't use an earth wire tho but larger models do... might be something to do with wattage used ? & pretty easy to wire up coming with cable 'n' plug.

Another place i like for the odd bit is progrow.co.uk their SW country... towards lands end etc my 2nd favourite place to shop.

I hope that helps fluff :green_heart: regards fuzzy...

P.s - avoid basement lighting their are sh*t & liable to get any ol crap from them...

Been quiet...

My current sticking point is the extractor fan. It supposedly comes with a bloody instruction manual but it doesn't really help very much at all. I was hoping it would be idiot proof i.e. for me!

I got an "EnviroVent Silent 100". It says "is an extractor designed for a single phase supply with voltage and frequency as indicated on the rating plate of the unit. The units are manufactured with double electrival insulation and therefore do not need an earth connection. The electrical installation must include a double pole switch with a contact clearance of at least 3mm".

I don't suppose anyone out there has any tips? I can't really call in an electrician (lol) and I desperately need to get this grow on the way.

How frustrating....grrrrr.....but if anyone can help me I would be so grateful so I can add it to another thing on my learned how to do list :)

I hope I can lend some clarity to your understanding of what that label on the fan is telling you. The fact that it is "double insulated" and requires no earth contact (ground) means that a short will not transfer through the case (fan housing) so no shocks 2 U.
The "double pole" switch is going to disengage BOTH terminals (wires) so that both the load current, one wire (here in USA it is usually black or red) that carries the current (power) AND the common wire (here in USA it IS white, always), the one that returns the current to the source (power, utility pole system). This acts like a "ground fault circuit interrupter" a device that cuts both wires from the source so one doesn't get a shock, but does this in milliseconds, whereas the switch will isolate the fan so that no current can flow either way. In a "short" situation, electricity CAN return through either wire, that's what a short is. It is a "short" path to the return of that current. A 240 volt switch IS a double pole switch. You could use two seperate switches of single pole, most common switch there is, BUT would have to either bond them so that both switches close together, OR post a note that CLEARLY states that BOTH SWITCHES need to be thrown together, in order to service this. Also, a 240 volt timer will do the same thing. PLEASE NOTE: what I am describing is for USA electrical systems that operate with "A.C." current, which is two lines that are 120 volts each (thus the 240 volt) and @ 60Hz or cycles per second. This is also called "single phase". I believe that the UK is on a different system but the principles are the same. God, how I hope this helps. Electricity is very confusing to about 95% of the population...

Uk wiring colours.

New appliances

Brown - Live
Blue - Neutral
Yellow and green - Earth

Older appliances may have different colours:

Red - Live
Black - Neutral
Green - Earth

Could be simple case of wiring cable & plug to vent... unsure of fuse amp tho but certianly seek solid advice first before proceeding.

Re: Fluffy's World Of Pure Imagination Part 1 - First Ever Grow - Wardrobe -HPS/MH -

To Fuzzy and Sfttailpaul... thank you sooooooooooooo much!!!!!:thanks:

You are absolute treasures both of you. I am hoping that with this I will be able to wire it up myself, but if I am in any doubt then I will try my best to find someone who knows about it and who won't tell anyone the purpose lol.

I hope one day I will actually be some use in return!

lo fluff, wise 'n' old ah.... at 37, Mmm got some grey hairs like badger stripes if that helps with the image of ol fuzz... if only ducks roosted in trees i could kick that owl out of meh spot... lol

I had to reply to this....

Ah, so close to my age there Fuzzy...and you kick that owl outta your spot. Ducks are awesome! My other half likens to me a penguin (bird built for water not for land) so you are in good avian company!

:high-five:

Re: Fluffy's World Of Pure Imagination Part 1 - First Ever Grow - Wardrobe -HPS/MH -

Question....

As I am pretty desperate to get the grow moving with as short a period of time to harvest as possible, would it be a good idea to try the two auto flower seeds Ive got?

They aren't at all the plants I really want but they will be something while the next ones are growing. (I don't know why I bought these seeds, I will blame impulsivity before researching properly!).

It's down as a 6 week flowering period...

Just trying to balance the needs of all aspects of the grow including my lack of experience!

HOOOOORAY! I can finally get things moving now!!

Here is the grow room (or wardrobe) in its almost done stage. I need to work on the carbon filter set up to go with the non inline extractor fan, and the huge fan is going to be replaced with a tower fan. You can just about see the thermometer/hygrometer on the left of the picture.

Particular thanks to Fuzzy and Sfttailpaul...I managed to do the fan all by myself thanks to your help! :slide: Don't know what all the fuss was about *blush*

The two vents at the bottom are passive vents and are covered with an old pair of tights stretched as much as possible to provide a mesh to keep bugs out but let air in.

GEDC1126.JPG

I am likely to be only able to have two plants in this space, so I am just germinating 3 seeds. If all 3 grow I might just stick one on my window sill for shits and giggles :cheesygrinsmiley:

I am using Root Riot cubes, and just did what it said on the instructions... popped the seed in the hole and covered it over with a little bit from the corner of the cube.

I then put the little trays in a plastic tub and covered with cling film sprayed with water and put on my window sill. Please keep your fingers crossed for me...I am very nervous, I haven't had much luck with plants in the past! :bitingnails:

GEDC11281.JPG

GEDC11291.JPG

The seeds I am germinating are 2x Barney's Vanilla Kush and 1x Delicious Northern Lights Blue. They are all feminised seeds. I figured going for a slightly speedier autoflower over the quality of what I have chosen these seeds for was a bit of a silly idea.

Here we go! :cheer:

There's a thread on here from a Dutch dude who does nothing but 12/12 from seed in a SOG type fashion. he uses a 600w hps I believe, and yeilds @ 1zipper per girl. They shoot up all cola with no side branches! Can't find the thread. I'll post it when I do. Definitely something to consider for us poor tokers who grow for personal. :)

There's a thread on here from a Dutch dude who does nothing but 12/12 from seed in a SOG type fashion. he uses a 600w hps I believe, and yeilds @ 1zipper per girl. They shoot up all cola with no side branches! Can't find the thread. I'll post it when I do. Definitely something to consider for us poor tokers who grow for personal. :)

Awesome, thanks Korloin, definitely would be interested in seeing this....

hi fluffy :welldone: with your set up i agree 3 plants may be a bitty tight my fingers are crossed for you..congrats on sorting the fan out i was exactly the same as you got this grow up and running didnt have a clue about electric now i know enough to get by..:bravo::thumb::peace:

I'm in for your journal! Your breakdown with info so far is precise. Seems as if you know what you want! Smokemup has helped me tremendously. I am able to read his advice on other grows such as yours and gain knowledge. This cuts down on me bugging these pros so much!

Great start look forward to your grow.

HEY FLUFFY:)

AWSUM youre finally underway!! Wont be long now til youre cupboards will be full of greens!! REMEMBER- Always SMOKE your greens!lol..
Hopin them seeds grow into some nice healthy plants for you soon.
Have you had time to decide on how youre going to grow these girls?? As your space is taller rather than wider - id maybe grow 2 of the best performing seedlings out of the 3, and grow them in there to a little larger size? ITS TOTALLY UP TO YOU FLUFF!!
That just my thoughts ok mate:) Im not sayin you must do that! Its just an observation of your space, as you have height, you could grow 2 girls basically side by side as xmas trees, you can train some branches that may touch or grow into each other and if the height or size of them is starting to fill your space, you can flip em to 12/12 once theyre a suitable size for you..
But im sure your capable of making that assessment for yourself! I was going to originally keep both seedlings i sprouted, but i would have had no room left now! My space is nearly 5ft wide, and Cindy is about 3.5ft wide and just over 2ft tall now!!
I am wishing you all the best and will keep an eye on your grow:) GOODLUCK FLUFFY!!
SMOKEMUP..

Being in California, there's a $hitload of cultivators here; too may in fact! I know a bunch of them. Almost 1/2 grow out from seed 12/12 under HPS and I just don't get it. Yep, a simple tall Cola forms with no side branching as once the plant gets into flowering mode, she puts her total energy into reproduction and no vegetation at all. A lot of them take cuttings and do the same thing. I guess a oz./plant is really good if one is simply looking for production. I favor the old school techniques of training and pampering to produce the best, smoothest and tastiest buds I can because that's what most people like and want. Besides, the extra time yields the extra harvest. I usually get around 4 oz's/plant, so in the end, it all works out about the same. I enjoy watching the process of her growing from the first appearance of leaves until harvest and everything in between. To each his or her own...

Being in California, there's a $hitload of cultivators here; too may in fact! I know a bunch of them. Almost 1/2 grow out from seed 12/12 under HPS and I just don't get it. Yep, a simple tall Cola forms with no side branching as once the plant gets into flowering mode, she puts her total energy into reproduction and no vegetation at all. A lot of them take cuttings and do the same thing. I guess a oz./plant is really good if one is simply looking for production. I favor the old school techniques of training and pampering to produce the best, smoothest and tastiest buds I can because that's what most people like and want. Besides, the extra time yields the extra harvest. I usually get around 4 oz's/plant, so in the end, it all works out about the same. I enjoy watching the process of her growing from the first appearance of leaves until harvest and everything in between. To each his or her own...

Hi buddy,
Well i dont know why some ppl would grow 12/12 from start unless theyre auto's? But maybe 14 hrs light and 10 dark would just do, hopefully it should grow fine and not flower with only 10 hrs dark. IMO..
I am similar in thoughts to you, OLD SKOOL, is how i learned, way before Hydro was becoming the norm, it was 6-7 ft wide outdoor plants with large yields:) But for many reasons, now its moved indoors alot, i only use artificial light and add organic nutrient supplements when needed, but i like the xmas tree O'Naturale look!
My last NlxWW was a soil indoor grow, tho she strted outdoors, i moved her in, under CFL's for few weeks, til i got my MH and from then she grew well. Harvested her at just over 5ft, and she gave me 8 oz dry main cola's, and about a quart-oz of small buds.. I thought that was average, til i saw some other grows. She gave me some times double or triple what some got.. I was quite humbled actually, as she had no training, her PH never checked and she only had a very basic, cheap nutrient solution. So i was lucky..
With my current C99x Panama Red, i was going to let her xmas tree, but decided to try LST?? I didnt know that naturally this plant formed into a sort of rounder shape than an xmas tree, so as i tethered some branches, she shot up more and now i have 12 larger Primary branches, 2 Secondary shoots that are taller than the 12 Primaries, ive tethered them too but theyre gunna be big.. She has a large number of shoots filling into the centre as ive pulled her 12 Primaries apart, 5 on each side of her pot, 5 on the other and 1 in middle either end, they were the original 2 main Primary branches.. So it oopened up her centre to allow light directly to her middle so all shoots from the base can catch up with the tops to try get some big branches for a larger yield, if i get another 8 oz well i wont complain, but I AM HOPING FOR A BIT MORE?? I plan to veg her to about 4ft, then flip her 12/12.. SO im hoping for at least 1.5 feet of stretch from flower. MORE WOULD BE GREAT:) I have up to 8ft of height if needed..
And yeah, there s nuthin betta than first seeing the tap-root pop out from the shell, then planted and 2days or so, she's poking thru the top soil.. Then a week later her first single leaves are out and her first 3fingered leaves are appearing.. Its all action from there, and come harvest time is somewhat a sad occasion.. Until you see the size of your buds:):)
Later Sfttail, Smokem..;)

I get'cha. Me, once I get these seedlings going I'm planning on taking some cuttings and doing a scrog in my box to maximize my yield. I don't have a lot of height to work with.
The Dutch dude was growing like 30+ plants per grow in a smallish room. So, he was churning out what? 30z's every couple months optimal? If I had the room and the seeds and wanted to sell my shit, that could work. :tokin:
But I'm trying real hard not to put the cart before the horse here. And I'm only in for my own needs. Sorry to hijack Fluff. :)

I'm in for your journal! Your breakdown with info so far is precise. Seems as if you know what you want! Smokemup has helped me tremendously. I am able to read his advice on other grows such as yours and gain knowledge. This cuts down on me bugging these pros so much!

Great start look forward to your grow.

Hi there Spring! Good to meet you and thank you for coming by. I do like to research everything to death before I start a big project (well, when it interests me!) so spent ages looking at everything. Plus it's all rather expensive to set up even a cheap grow cupboard so it definitely benefits you to take a bit of time I think.

Hopefully this means my first grow will be a better one for it...quality over quantity of grows ;)

I hope your growing continues to go well

:thanks:

HEY FLUFFY:)

AWSUM youre finally underway!! Wont be long now til youre cupboards will be full of greens!! REMEMBER- Always SMOKE your greens!lol..
Hopin them seeds grow into some nice healthy plants for you soon.
Have you had time to decide on how youre going to grow these girls?? As your space is taller rather than wider - id maybe grow 2 of the best performing seedlings out of the 3, and grow them in there to a little larger size? ITS TOTALLY UP TO YOU FLUFF!!
That just my thoughts ok mate:) Im not sayin you must do that! Its just an observation of your space, as you have height, you could grow 2 girls basically side by side as xmas trees, you can train some branches that may touch or grow into each other and if the height or size of them is starting to fill your space, you can flip em to 12/12 once theyre a suitable size for you..
But im sure your capable of making that assessment for yourself! I was going to originally keep both seedlings i sprouted, but i would have had no room left now! My space is nearly 5ft wide, and Cindy is about 3.5ft wide and just over 2ft tall now!!
I am wishing you all the best and will keep an eye on your grow:) GOODLUCK FLUFFY!!
SMOKEMUP..

Howdy Smokem :thanks:

I've been looking at lot at LST and Topping/Fimming, there's some great threads here on it (for any other fellow noobs out there I will put a link to them at the bottom).

But I hadn't even thought about the shape of the cupboard, thank you! I am now going to go and Google christmas tree and cannabis plants as I am totally lost on what that means :cheesygrinsmiley: Sounds interesting though and a very good point indeed. You're a star.

EDIT - Ah, I see where Christmas Tree comes from! I'd never heard that before or really thought about it hence appearing dim. I agree with you...if I can use the techniques for pruning and training I can get a couple of nice tall dense girls in there. Interesting what you say about Cindy though...so we will see how these girls grow and I can then see whether it would be best to have one or two yield wise. Thank you!

There are of course many other subject specific threads just as good, just these two seemed to work for me...

Topping
LST How to do

I favor the old school techniques of training and pampering to produce the best, smoothest and tastiest buds I can because that's what most people like and want. Besides, the extra time yields the extra harvest. I usually get around 4 oz's/plant, so in the end, it all works out about the same. I enjoy watching the process of her growing from the first appearance of leaves until harvest and everything in between

Gotta give some rep to you for this (well, I can't give you any more yet so here will have to do).

For me this plant represents so much good, it's not man made and can make life just that little bit better. So to me putting the love and positive energy is only what it deserves.

Hi buddy,
Well i dont know why some ppl would grow 12/12 from start unless theyre auto's? But maybe 14 hrs light and 10 dark would just do, hopefully it should grow fine and not flower with only 10 hrs dark. IMO..
I am similar in thoughts to you, OLD SKOOL, is how i learned, way before Hydro was becoming the norm, it was 6-7 ft wide outdoor plants with large yields:) But for many reasons, now its moved indoors alot, i only use artificial light and add organic nutrient supplements when needed, but i like the xmas tree O'Naturale look!
My last NlxWW was a soil indoor grow, tho she strted outdoors, i moved her in, under CFL's for few weeks, til i got my MH and from then she grew well. Harvested her at just over 5ft, and she gave me 8 oz dry main cola's, and about a quart-oz of small buds.. I thought that was average, til i saw some other grows. She gave me some times double or triple what some got.. I was quite humbled actually, as she had no training, her PH never checked and she only had a very basic, cheap nutrient solution. So i was lucky..
With my current C99x Panama Red, i was going to let her xmas tree, but decided to try LST?? I didnt know that naturally this plant formed into a sort of rounder shape than an xmas tree, so as i tethered some branches, she shot up more and now i have 12 larger Primary branches, 2 Secondary shoots that are taller than the 12 Primaries, ive tethered them too but theyre gunna be big.. She has a large number of shoots filling into the centre as ive pulled her 12 Primaries apart, 5 on each side of her pot, 5 on the other and 1 in middle either end, they were the original 2 main Primary branches.. So it oopened up her centre to allow light directly to her middle so all shoots from the base can catch up with the tops to try get some big branches for a larger yield, if i get another 8 oz well i wont complain, but I AM HOPING FOR A BIT MORE?? I plan to veg her to about 4ft, then flip her 12/12.. SO im hoping for at least 1.5 feet of stretch from flower. MORE WOULD BE GREAT:) I have up to 8ft of height if needed..
And yeah, there s nuthin betta than first seeing the tap-root pop out from the shell, then planted and 2days or so, she's poking thru the top soil.. Then a week later her first single leaves are out and her first 3fingered leaves are appearing.. Its all action from there, and come harvest time is somewhat a sad occasion.. Until you see the size of your buds:):)
Later Sfttail, Smokem..;)

Smokem and Korlion, in a sense, I really am no longer "Old Skool" because I went totally Hydro in 1999. I also don't keep mothers anymore opting to take my cuttings from those in the Veg room 2 weeks before I flip them to flower. This process keeps me and the plants on a 2 month cycle where I take cuttings (2 weeks for strong roots) then into Veg for +/-8 weeks or until they get to be 24" tall (these get cuttings taken as soon as there are shoots with 2 nodes, usually 4-6 weeks into veg. and repeat. So I only start with seed when doing a new strain. I flower 6 plants under a 600W HPS on light tracks (cover 6 ft. path) times 8 rows, each being harvest-able at the +/-2 months (total 48 in flower room). I mainly keep a strain going for about 2 years, but have done a few over 3. I only terminate if I find something better, but do my homework before committing. If I get the chance (big one to take with the risk of infection/infestation) I start new strains from fellow cultivator's existing plants via cuttings from them. Hey Korlion, I have a female Corleon Kush I crossed with Larry OG, just did the dusting 2 days ago (also the Larry with Black Water); thought you'd like the name being the same with yours. This is my very first breeding attempt. I have done all kinds of things with these plants over the years but never attempted to breed. Being that these plants are genetically pre-determined, I have found that all the fancy things people do to them really doesn't matter and is a big waste of time and money. This is strictly me, IMHO. I find that to treat them like little princesses, they act accordingly. They are weeds period and if they get a little rough treatment, all the better. Pamper, primp and fuss gets one frustrated when the tiniest thing happens, I grow robust bitches that do what they are meant to do. Fancy fertilizers and all that other stuff isn't a workable method for me. About the only thing I am religious about is pH. That's the biggest thing I miss about soil, not worrying about freaking pH. I also just train them to accomodate the area I have and each other. I will admit that in the Summer, I have 4-5 outside on my patio, just to have something to look at while having my coffee and smokem in the morning...

Back
Top Bottom