Flytier's Quasi-Aquaponic Salmon-Based Organic Autoflowering Perpetual SPoG® SoG

Good morning and welcome to TheFlytierNetwork SPoGLog® Morning News©.

Anyway, after I got up this morning and before I went to the truck stop (where the wife works) for my first of many coffee of the day, I checked out the girls and was pleased at their progress. I guess it's most logical to present the cast in order of appearance. I just smoked a couple spliffs and drank over half a pot of coffee so I may ramble and digress here...

So here's the famiy portrait; I'm getting a few generations on the go now
DSCI1536.JPG

The Christmas SPoG® has half of the pistils or so turned brown, but ready or not, her time is being counted down. When I get home from work on Tuesday I'm going to harvest her to be somewhat ready for Saturday. I won't nuke-dry her like I originally planned for the purpose of getting an extra four days growth, nor will I get to cure her in a bottle, and I certainly won't have lots, but it'll probably work. I'll dry it on the upper shelf above the grow section of the growroom and the lights and space heater outside will dry it a little faster too. I must take a macro with my phone and biology hand lens so to get a better shot of the trichs. I should check and see if I can do that with my Polaroid camera; that'll make an interesting project later on. Tune in at twelve to get an update on this story...
DSCI1538.jpg
DSCI1543.jpg

The next ones are the ones that are now in early bud, the King's Kush CBD and NYC Diesels. The KK is exploding like fireworks and she's getting some nice buds on the go too. Gonna get a pretty respectable haul from her I think
DSCI1537.jpg
DSCI1542.jpg

The Diesels are branching pretty decent now with buds on the branches. I know some of you are following to see how the water from the Shit Pit is working, and in this pair of subjects the the test specimen is budding better than the control specimen being watered with wellwater from the tap; the soil is the same. And she popped out of the ground a day later the other one. I go back to work tomorrow so I'll grab some more used water right when I get there and then I get on with my day. We have 15 million or so eggs in the hatchery and tomorrow I have to take stock of them. Whee! But I digress...
DSCI1540.jpg
DSCI1544.jpg

The seedlings and and seeds are fine and unknown, respectively. The Jack Herer with the damaged cotyledon is keeping up WRT the stage of development, in that she's doing so but at a slightly smaller size. This week's seeds won't be up for another day or two
DSCI1541.jpg

DSCI1547.jpg

I stacked a couple more pots for next week, but this style may get changed eventually. I'm probably going to make them fully stackable so I can just pot up any time that need be just by sticking it on top of another pot. I'll have to make some removable bottom screens, and that's not a big deal
DSCI1548.jpg

So that's TheFlytierNetwork SPoGLog® Morning News© Enjoy your day.

Are you growing all this under CFLs?

Also, removable bottoms and up potting by stacking sounds like a gap in the market. Perfect that and get the patent! Though is doesn't solve the problem of roots wrapping around the inside. You'd have to work it out with fabric pots for that :)

Have fun counting to 15 mil. I hope no one asks you for the time in the middle ;).

Are you growing all this under CFLs?

Also, removable bottoms and up potting by stacking sounds like a gap in the market. Perfect that and get the patent! Though is doesn't solve the problem of roots wrapping around the inside. You'd have to work it out with fabric pots for that :)

Have fun counting to 15 mil. I hope no one asks you for the time in the middle ;).
All under CFLs, yup. Seems to work pretty good too. Not really sure what to do WRT root wrapping other than hope for the best.

Gonna be a busy day but at least not strenuous.

Kind of like growing in a section of Sonotube. If you put your "tube" on a saucer and filled it, no reason you couldn't use one of those either, plus they are 100% recyclable when you're done with them as they are cardboard. They are also wax-coated on the inside and on the outside to prevent moisture from rotting them away too quickly..... Having the openbottom would be great for drainage too......Great idea Fly..... we always hear about the tap roots, why not give them the space that they seem to require.

Look at that place!

I kind of like what he did with that. I also think it will help get oxygen down to the lower roots....its got that small space where the 2nd pot is sitting on top of the first pot and air can get around the bottom of it. I can't help but think that is a good thing.

I kind of like what he did with that. I also think it will help get oxygen down to the lower roots....its got that small space where the 2nd pot is sitting on top of the first pot and air can get around the bottom of it. I can't help but think that is a good thing.
Totally.....Fly, that's the 3rd person to comment on the tall style pots, but the 1st I've heard about the aeration. Looking good brother!

Now that never occurred to me, but it will probably be good in that respect too.

Totally.....Fly, that's the 3rd person to comment on the tall style pots, but the 1st I've heard about the aeration. Looking good brother!
Maybe I'm actually onto something here. Eventually I'm going to try even higher than two. The goal is more volume in the same area.

One Idea......maybe in the future, run an experiment where you drill small holes into the sides of the pots for increased oxygenation. I wouldn't make them any more than 1/4" and you probably wouldn't need a ton of them. It would be interesting to see how one grown in pots with holes would do compared to one with no holes.

One Idea......maybe in the future, run an experiment where you drill small holes into the sides of the pots for increased oxygenation. I wouldn't make them any more than 1/4" and you probably wouldn't need a ton of them. It would be interesting to see how one grown in pots with holes would do compared to one with no holes.
You know, we have buckets at work with 2" holes covered with screen. Hmmmmm...

Sounds like a great experiment if just to see how deep the roots want to grow. I feel like my early research turned up info that 16" or 18" was deep enough for cannabis. I think that was in a Jorge Cervantes video.

Found it - 16":
YouTube

Four minutes in.

That's a lot of soil to start. I'm aiming a bit smaller for my little alcove in the kitchen, but I think I can get it to 16" deep. Three buckets stacked should do it though.

Ok so maybe not 500 gallons, but I think they're saying that beyond 16", thickness matters more than length.

It seems to go against what I'm reading right now. The way I understand it is that a deep taproot is preferred but if there's a lot of clay/wet soil, for instance, they will develop wide roots to compensate. But I'm not expecting my autos to really push any limits as far as growth goes, so I'll see what I can come up with for height/depth my limited space.

I was going to tape the buckets together, but I think I'll let the air get to the soil like Van Stank mentioned. Depends on how many times I knock them over and spill everything over the floor.

Depends on how many times I knock them over and spill everything over the floor.

That's a test in and of itself. How many knock-overs can the plant take before it gives up the ghost!

I'll be curious to see if that tap root gets much longer than 16" given the chance. I'm not sure if the light intensity also plays a part. And you can test to see if a photo and an auto reach the same depth but the mass just gets bigger with a photo. Science!

[edit: these tests apply to soil only. hydro guys need not reply bragging about how long their roots are!]

Back
Top Bottom